Howard Wilkinson

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Howard Wilkinson

Post by weasel »

Clacton White wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:20 pm I was in Devon when that League cup final was played , doing a race called Grizzly , anyway that final was the same afternoon and I had finished the run , git back to b&b and watched the final .......maybe the most disappointing game I saw the side play for many a year . The team just didn't play , bar Andy Gray ....from then I think Wilco's days were numbered .Despite a decent start to the following season the team were hammered at home v Man Utd and it was all the excuse needed , maybe George Graham had already secretly been sounded out ......but I have to say Howard achieved what I thought no manager after Don Revie could achieve.......winning the title .It had seemed a lifetime since the last title (18 years😁) , the gap between Howards and now though is twelve years longer and counting . You don't appreciate what Howard did until you look back , for a team up one season it was a great achievement . Wouldn't happen now in the era of the billionaire owners .
The club had recently been taken over too, The Caspian Group if I remember rightly. It was clear that they wanted their own man in and the 4-0 defeat at home to Man U (a game I had the misfortune to attend) was the perfect excuse. I would have said that the majority of fans at the game that day wanted Wilko out.

When I mentioned a few weeks back that I was proud of our players for still giving everything right to the final minute in the 7-0 drubbing by Man City it was because the players were still giving everything they had, for their own pride and because they had complete confidence in Bielsa. The players, or certainly the majority of them, in the 4-0 loss to Man Utd gave up, it was like men v boys. A lot of the players that day should hang their heads in shame.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:52 pm This

Wilko won too much too soon, then rested on his laurels, thats what ultimately cost him, I'll be forever grateful for what he did, especially with the academy, he also made the blueprint for the England set-up, only to be royally fucked over by ageing never has-beens at the FA, shame on them, they personally set England back by years with their personal vendetta against LUFC , Wilko was way ahead of his time, just like Don was, we get no appreciation whatsoever regarding Don & Wilko.
👍🏻
I think the Bundesliga still use an updated version whereby U21 players have to have an education and are only paid a certain amount plus they can’t be poached by the bigger clubs while at youth level.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

I remember when Cantona was sold and thinking, not bad money for a sub! I think his departure was a bit overrated, big move for ManU alright but no huge loss for Leeds.

Was listening to an interview with Tony Dorigo where he noted that Cantona was just not a Wilkinson player and his exit was no big loss, he felt the backpass rule had a huge bearing on how things went wrong the season after the title.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Mountain wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:44 pm I remember when Cantona was sold and thinking, not bad money for a sub! I think his departure was a bit overrated, big move for ManU alright but no huge loss for Leeds.

Was listening to an interview with Tony Dorigo where he noted that Cantona was just not a Wilkinson player and his exit was no big loss, he felt the backpass rule had a huge bearing on how things went wrong the season after the title.
I said that when it was implemented, it was also one of the reasons liverpool also struggled, from teams that were tight at the back, balls back to the keeper were easy, couldn't get it back from liverpool.
Wilko once said, he thought one of his biggest mistakes was letting Vinnie Jones go to soon, he was a massive influence even when not in the team.
I got into a fight inside wembley with other fans whom were slagging wilko off at the final, a bad day all round, fickle fans who forgot what he'd achieved only 4 yrs prior, I don't think he quite deserved the vitriol he got after the 96 final.
That's why I often say "careful what you wish for "
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Mountain wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:44 pm I remember when Cantona was sold and thinking, not bad money for a sub! I think his departure was a bit overrated, big move for ManU alright but no huge loss for Leeds.

Was listening to an interview with Tony Dorigo where he noted that Cantona was just not a Wilkinson player
No huge loss for Leeds maybe, but a monumental 'gift' to Scum. Anywhere else I wouldn't have minded but OT? He was the catalyst that galvanised Scum into winning their first title in 25 years! The rest as they say....is history.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:21 pm I said that when it was implemented, it was also one of the reasons liverpool also struggled, from teams that were tight at the back, balls back to the keeper were easy, couldn't get it back from liverpool.
Wilko once said, he thought one of his biggest mistakes was letting Vinnie Jones go to soon, he was a massive influence even when not in the team.
I got into a fight inside wembley with other fans whom were slagging wilko off at the final, a bad day all round, fickle fans who forgot what he'd achieved only 4 yrs prior, I don't think he quite deserved the vitriol he got after the 96 final.
Well if those fans had known that by 2022 Wilko would be the only manager to get the club to a domestic cup final in 48 years they might have been more grateful...
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:21 pm I said that when it was implemented, it was also one of the reasons liverpool also struggled, from teams that were tight at the back, balls back to the keeper were easy, couldn't get it back from liverpool.
So it was you fighting & going mental in front of me at Wembley ;-)

A day to forget :(
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:21 pm I got into a fight inside wembley with other fans whom were slagging wilko off at the final, a bad day all round, fickle fans who forgot what he'd achieved only 4 yrs prior, I don't think he quite deserved the vitriol he got after the 96 final.
That's why I was and will continue to be so passionate in my defence of Bielsa. If the board had panicked, like some of the fans, we would likely be in a far worse position. Bielsa continues to get more out of the players at his disposal than I think any other manager would.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I always cursed the day we sold Cantona - not many understood him but with better management he may just have been our catalyst instead of Fergie's, but Fergie realised what an absolute gem he was if handled correctly - boy did he deliver!
The greatest period of scum's history followed.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Norm wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:10 am I always cursed the day we sold Cantona - not many understood him but with better management he may just have been our catalyst instead of Fergie's, but Fergie realised what an absolute gem he was if handled correctly - boy did he deliver!
But they had a team ready to roll with him, a team almost at the top for a few seasons, we didn't, shame we didn't keep him mind,
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Norm wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:10 am I always cursed the day we sold Cantona - not many understood him but with better management he may just have been our catalyst instead of Fergie's, but Fergie realised what an absolute gem he was if handled correctly - boy did he deliver!
In many ways Bielsa is our new Cantona. Both have walked out on clubs and both are very temperemental and misunderstood but capable of genius. Cantona found his home at MU and stayed there far longer than anywhere in his career as has Bielsa with us.

If we hadn't got rid of Cantona he would likely have simply walked out on us and probably gone back to France and simply played beach football and painted instead of playing professional football. In hindsight the club, and fans especially, would now prefer to have let him walk away for nothing - although if that had been the case he could still have ended up at MU but they could have simply snapped him up as a free agent.

Anyone looking to blame Wilkinson regarding Cantona is deluded. He simply didn't fit in here amongst an older squad who all trained hard, all gave everything etc. At MU they had all the youngsters coming through who probably saw his flicks etc and were in awe of him, prepared to do his running etc.

I also don't like the amount of praise given to Cantona for our title win. He played a handful of matches, yes added a bit of a spark but to here some fans it was like he single handedly carried us over the line.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I also feel MU would have gone on to their level of dominance without Cantona. If memory serves me right the season they won their first Premeir League title the challengers were Aston Villa and Norwich. Liverpool were well into their period of decline, Arsenal similarly were not challenging until Wenger arrived a few years later, Chelsea weren't a force, City likewise. MU's crop of quality youngsters and good signings came at a perfect time. Put Cantona and MU's team of that time in amongst the teams around now and they would have won a title of two but nowhere near had the domination. For me Schmeichel's influence was probably of more importance, the amount of times he singlehandedly kept them in matches was unbelievable or where he'd make an amazing save which saw them win instead of draw.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

weasel wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:08 pm I also feel MU would have gone on to their level of dominance without Cantona. If memory serves me right the season they won their first Premeir League title the challengers were Aston Villa and Norwich. Liverpool were well into their period of decline, Arsenal similarly were not challenging until Wenger arrived a few years later, Chelsea weren't a force, City likewise. MU's crop of quality youngsters and good signings came at a perfect time. Put Cantona and MU's team of that time in amongst the teams around now and they would have won a title of two but nowhere near had the domination. For me Schmeichel's influence was probably of more importance, the amount of times he singlehandedly kept them in matches was unbelievable or where he'd make an amazing save which saw them win instead of draw.
I also don't like the amount of praise given to Cantona for our title win. He played a handful of matches, yes added a bit of a spark but to here some fans it was like he single handedly carried us over the line.

That in bold, plus the above is all true, 100% true, any football fan with only slight education , certainly Leeds fans ought to realise this.
I was in Stuttgart when cantona cost us walking off like he did, infact I went to every game he played in which wasn't that many, plus many of them were as sub, I won't slate him,but I won't idolise him either, Strachan Batty Speed and McCallister were all far more influencial in midfield than he was.
We were lucky to get him anyway, he was a misfit, correct me if I'm wrong but he was on trial at sheff weds and was it Francis (manager) who wanted to see him train on grass rather than plastic, cantona wouldn't have it so wilko spoke to his agent, the rest is history.
Won't knock his ability, but won't have it he won us the title either.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

weasel wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:02 pm In many ways Bielsa is our new Cantona. Both have walked out on clubs and both are very temperemental and misunderstood but capable of genius. Cantona found his home at MU and stayed there far longer than anywhere in his career as has Bielsa with us.

If we hadn't got rid of Cantona he would likely have simply walked out on us and probably gone back to France and simply played beach football and painted instead of playing professional football. In hindsight the club, and fans especially, would now prefer to have let him walk away for nothing - although if that had been the case he could still have ended up at MU but they could have simply snapped him up as a free agent.

Anyone looking to blame Wilkinson regarding Cantona is deluded. He simply didn't fit in here amongst an older squad who all trained hard, all gave everything etc. At MU they had all the youngsters coming through who probably saw his flicks etc and were in awe of him, prepared to do his running etc.

Who should we blame then weasel. Serious question. It was Wilko who wanted him gone. Perhaps it wouldn't have angered me so much at the time had he gone elsewhere....anywhere but to MU. Didn't Gary Pallister say that Fergie had rung up to enquire about another player....and told not for sale but Cantona was offered for a million instead. When Fergie told Pallister he replied "blimey, has he only got one leg"....that goes to show what a ridiculous price we sold him for as well.

I did love Wilko for what he achieved for us and was quite in awe of him the one time I met him. But the Cantona thing does still rankle.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Wilko actually rang them regards Irwin, whom we had sold :roll: he then inquired about cantona, the rest is .......
Chances of him staying at ER were pretty remote to be fair, but, like you, It was where he went thats the bone of contention.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

I went to the charity shield that season , it was so obvious watching there were problems on right side of defence and also back pass rule was going to affect the side big time . Fairclough and Whyte seemed to have lost pace by that season or the pass back was the reason they did well .I think Snodin was put on right defence where he was bought as a midfielder .....if memory serves . How a side can go downhill so quickly is astounding , yet I wouldn't swap that title memory for anything as I thought we would never see it again. Funnily right now I think we will never see it again 😁.