The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 29th December) - Leeds need to be humble and realistic of our means

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 29th December) - Leeds need to be humble and realistic of our means

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:57 am No Weasel, it isn’t the “Bielsa knockers dredging up PJ again” it was brought up by Ellandback as a topic for yesterday’s debate. It was asserted that the Board were not happy with PJ’s departure but went along with it to back Bielsa and posters have duly offered their opinions on the matter.
We are not allowed views on Bielsa in Weasel's world, sitting in his rocking chair with rose-coloured spectacles on.

We all appreciate Marcelo's magnificent achievements, lifting our club from obscurity back to the Premier League, that doesn't mean the great man is exempt from making errors, frustrating fans with some of his wacky decisions.

I personally wish for Bielsa to finish off the job he started & get us out of the mess we currently find ourselves in. It's not about the last three games, the whole season has been distinctly average at best, we are playing nothing like we have in the last three seasons, hence the reason we have scraped only three victories & are sitting 16th in the table.

Bielsa is our coach & it's up to him to motivate our squad, play decent football, achieve results & ultimately keep us in the PL come the end of the season.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 29th December) - Leeds need to be humble and realistic of our means

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

1964white wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:28 pm We are not allowed views on Bielsa in Weasel's world, sitting in his rocking chair with rose-coloured spectacles on.

We all appreciate Marcelo's magnificent achievements, lifting our club from obscurity back to the Premier League, that doesn't mean the great man is exempt from making errors, frustrating fans with some of his wacky decisions.

I personally wish for Bielsa to finish off the job he started & get us out of the mess we currently find ourselves in. It's not about the last three games, the whole season has been distinctly average at best, we are playing nothing like we have in the last three seasons, hence the reason we have scraped only three victories & are sitting 16th in the table.

Bielsa is our coach & it's up to him to motivate our squad, play decent football, achieve results & ultimately keep us in the PL come the end of the season.
and up to him to justify the 8m which the club pay him and his backroom staff combined.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:07 pm :tup: :tup:

Well said ByeBye - some people are so defensive about Bielsa that they try to strangle any debate. Classic groupthink behaviour.

Why doesn't the club be done with it and give him the job for life because he achieved promotion like they did with Wilko ( and for making the club English top tier champions in Wilko's case ) ? Oh, hang on, the club sacked Wilko didn't they ?
An accurate assessment Chapel :tup:

I've mentioned before that for many years a lot of our supporters carried on reminiscing about Wilko, Revie, etc.

Yes, I appreciate what they did for the club, but that was then and this is now.

Well done Bielsa and co for what they've done, but we can't live on that forever.

For me football is all about what's being done right now to progress this club. So I'm happy to judge Bielsa, or anyone, on what's occurring this season.

People can make all the excuses they want, but so far this season we have been woeful, and that needs addressed urgently.

No coach, director, or player is more important than the future of our club.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:28 pm We are not allowed views on Bielsa in Weasel's world, sitting in his rocking chair with rose-coloured spectacles on.
Huge difference between having views and jumping on him at every chance. Dredging up things such as a sale of a player 2 1/2 years ago etc just so that you can have another go at him. A sale of a player not suited to Bielsa's way of playing out from the back. I think Bielsa was proved right with the replacement having a wonderful season.

It's just relentless Bielsa bashing - not discussion and exchange of views.

And relentless twisiting of other views to try to justify it. I've never said everything is rosy but I do see injuries as a far bigger reason for our result that Bielsa's methods, methods that have worked pretty damn well for 3 years even with occosainoal blips.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:50 pm and up to him to justify the 8m which the club pay him and his backroom staff combined.
How muuuuuch. How many staff has Bielsa got? Another reason he will possibly go at the end of the season when we have to cut the cloth accordingly? He deserved it after the fantastic last season. I am no negotiator but negotiating down may be difficult for all parties involved, not that MB is motivated by money, but it will be a reflection of the regression.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Certain players are “Leeds”. Lucas being a classic example . Pontus was “ Leeds”, it came across in his performances and his connection with the fans.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I do not disguise I am a fan of Bielsa. However, there is always a tipping point when results take a turn for the worse.

Whilst we have had three fantastic years of his brand of football it is apparent that with our squad everyone has to be really on their game to maintain the levels of the last three years. The drop off in form to players who were key for us last year, which is also compounded by injuries and poor recruitment - has been our main issues this season. Firpo has been nothing short of disastrous defensively and James has flattered to deceive. Whilst they may get better we do not have the luxury of time.

If plan B is to play plan A better then I am beginning to grow concerned that this is now a rather indulgent and flawed strategy. To play better we either need the out of form players to undergo an overnight transformation - there are no encouraging signs currently, get injury absentees back who can hit the ground running and rely on the under 23’s to step up.

Philips is out until March. His absence is pretty frightening considering the teams win/lose stats in his absence. Nor should the loss of Cooper be underestimated his leadership is vital if we get pulled into the bottom 3.

Bielsa carries all our hopes and it is hard to retain confidence and belief as we have reached the half way point and there has been no upturn. Burnley is a must not lose.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:06 pm I do not disguise I am a fan of Bielsa. However, there is always a tipping point when results take a turn for the worse.

Whilst we have had three fantastic years of his brand of football it is apparent that with our squad everyone has to be really on their game to maintain the levels of the last three years. The drop off in form to players who were key for us last year, which is also compounded by injuries and poor recruitment - has been our main issues this season. Firpo has been nothing short of disastrous defensively and James has flattered to deceive. Whilst they may get better we do not have the luxury of time.

If plan B is to play plan A better then I am beginning to grow concerned that this is now a rather indulgent and flawed strategy. To play better we either need the out of form players to undergo an overnight transformation - there are no encouraging signs currently, get injury absentees back who can hit the ground running and rely on the under 23’s to step up.

Philips is out until March. His absence is pretty frightening considering the teams win/lose stats in his absence. Nor should the loss of Cooper be underestimated his leadership is vital if we get pulled into the bottom 3.

Bielsa carries all our hopes and it is hard to retain confidence and belief as we have reached the half way point and there has been no upturn. Burnley is a must not lose.
Great post DDB :tup: I believe the majority of us are very concerned

Burnley, Newcastle, Norwich at ER & Watford away are must not lose games.

Win all four & we would be safe with a few points from our remaining matches in the bag.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Agree with this Leon 🙂

I want nothing more than Bielsa to succeed.

But this season he's failed miserably.

Mitigating factors, yes, injuries, small squad, lack of quality, Covid, bent officials.

Yes, but these were all known ingredients that have not been effectively addressed.

January will tell us a lot.

I've no issue with showing MB the door if he isn't capable of keeping us up.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

No new signings today then :duno:

Just like 2021 :)

Happy New Year Radz :pop:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:03 pm No new signings today then :duno:

Just like 2021 :)

Happy New Year Radz :pop:
No chance mate :(
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:40 pm No chance mate :(
I expect they'll trot out the usual excuses:

It's very difficult in the January window = Well other teams seem to manage to make transfers in this window.
We've got players coming back from injury = True, but we average 4 players injured and unavailable per match under Bielsa, so expect more of them to hit the physio room soon.
Bielsa's happy with the size of the squad = Yet, he still won't risk the obvious replacements like Gelhardt, or Bate, when there's a clear need to get them into the first team.
We're skint = If that's the case then why did we bomb 25 million on Dan James, when we had other vacancies that needed filling?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:26 pm Great post DDB :tup: I believe the majority of us are very concerned
I would have thought close to 100% of us are concerned. You can't look at the league table without being concerned. My level of concern would greatly increase though if Bielsa left no matter who came in. My level of concern would decreaes as injuries subside and we get a stronger side on the pitch. Give Bielsa a reasonable hand and he has shown he can beat better hands - at present Bielsa is having to play poker with less cards than everyone else and everyone is able to see the hand he has been dealt. Yes recruitment could have been better but in terms of managing the players at the club presently I don't see any manager achieving more.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:07 pm :tup: :tup:

some people are so defensive about Bielsa that they try to strangle any debate. Classic groupthink behaviour.
I count six posters on here who regularly defend Bielsa, work it out for yourself. Those that constantly attack him and repeat the same criticisms ad nauseam are by far the majority and try to strangle debate, classic groupthink behaviour.

He's not without fault, but we're better with him just now than without him.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:36 pm I count six posters on here who regularly defend Bielsa, work it out for yourself. Those that constantly attack him and repeat the same criticisms ad nauseam are by far the majority and try to strangle debate, classic groupthink behaviour.

He's not without fault, but we're better with him just now than without him.
Very goog post...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

weasel wrote:

I would have thought close to 100% of us are concerned. You can't look at the league table without being concerned. My level of concern would greatly increase though if Bielsa left no matter who came in. My level of concern would decrease as injuries subside and we get a stronger side on the pitch. Give Bielsa a reasonable hand and he has shown he can beat better hands - at present Bielsa is having to play poker with less cards than everyone else and everyone is able to see the hand he has been dealt. Yes recruitment could have been better but in terms of managing the players at the club presently I don't see any manager achieving more.
good post - agree 100%