The Film and Television Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7513
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: The Film Thread

Post by Orange Box »

White Riot wrote: ↑Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:04 am If you like horror, or suspense, I recommend A Quiet Place, and A Quiet Place 2 :?

Brilliant movies, well directed by John Krasinski, who you'll know from the US version of The Office, as Jim.

Again, not for those of a nervous disposition :?
Not a film I could watch again, not because it was poor, it was brilliant, but it scared me sh*tless.So I’ll pass on QP2,thanks
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22420
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: The Film Thread

Post by White Riot »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:38 pm Not a film I could watch again, not because it was poor, it was brilliant, but it scared me sh*tless.So I’ll pass on QP2,thanks
Second one was better and even scarier OB, just quaff a few single malts and you'll be reet 8-)
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7513
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: The Film Thread

Post by Orange Box »

White Riot wrote: ↑Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:43 am Second one was better and even scarier OB, just quaff a few single malts and you'll be reet 8-)
Gulp, if you say so
Azkal
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5488
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:15 am

Re: The Film Thread

Post by Azkal »

White Riot wrote: ↑Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:04 am If you like horror, or suspense, I recommend A Quiet Place, and A Quiet Place 2 :?

Brilliant movies, well directed by John Krasinski, who you'll know from the US version of The Office, as Jim.

Again, not for those of a nervous disposition :?
Enjoyed watching A Quiet Place last night, nearly spilled red wine in my lap a few times :shock:
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22420
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: The Film Thread

Post by White Riot »

Azkalwhite wrote: ↑Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:38 am Enjoyed watching A Quiet Place last night, nearly spilled red wine in my lap a few times :shock:
Yeah, plenty of good jolts in it, I think the second one is better than the first.
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:22 pm

Re: The Film Thread

Post by whiteroseboy »

Smudge3920 wrote: ↑Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:48 am Lennox Lewis: the Untold Story(Released last November)

Having drifted away from heavyweight boxing for a long time now...watched the above film tonight, if you love or ever loved boxing definately worth a watch...It reminded me just how great a boxer he truly was, he had it all.
My fav boxing pic is Cinderella Man with Russell Crowe, his best film imho.
Hard Times with Charles Bronson is also on my fav list, bit dated but another classic.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79212
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: The Film Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

A Good Year would probably be my favourite Crowe..
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:22 pm

Re: The Film Thread

Post by whiteroseboy »

faaip wrote: ↑Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:15 am A Good Year would probably be my favourite Crowe..
Don't think I've seen that one.

Of the ones I have seen my top 5 Crowe films would be :-
1. Cinderella Man
2. 3.10 to Yuma (I do like westerns)
3. A Beautiful Mind
4. Gladiator
5. Master & Commander - Far side of the World
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7513
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: The Film Thread

Post by Orange Box »

I can highly recommend GONE BABY GONE (Netflix) directed by Ben Affleck and starring his brother Casey, Ed Harris and Morgan Freeman. Set in Boston it follows the disturbing investigation of the abduction of a four year old little girl and from the very off I couldn’t get the case of Shannon Matthews out of my head.
The film is no-frills, dirty, gritty and likely to have your jaw dropping in disbelief at the reality of some of the the supporting characters. I’ve never been to Boston, but I’ve seen all of those characters in the worst council estates Leeds and Bradford has to offer. They aren’t pretty.
I’m not giving away the ending (obviously) but you’ll find yourself tearing your moral code book in half.
If I had one criticism of the film, some of the dialogue is difficulty (read nigh on impossible) to understand, but that doesn’t matter, the gist is horribly obvious.
I watched it late last night, and didn’t have a comfortable sleep.
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22420
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: The Film Thread

Post by White Riot »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:54 am I can highly recommend GONE BABY GONE (Netflix) directed by Ben Affleck and starring his brother Casey, Ed Harris and Morgan Freeman. Set in Boston it follows the disturbing investigation of the abduction of a four year old little girl and from the very off I couldn’t get the case of Shannon Matthews out of my head.
The film is no-frills, dirty, gritty and likely to have your jaw dropping in disbelief at the reality of some of the the supporting characters. I’ve never been to Boston, but I’ve seen all of those characters in the worst council estates Leeds and Bradford has to offer. They aren’t pretty.
I’m not giving away the ending (obviously) but you’ll find yourself tearing your moral code book in half.
If I had one criticism of the film, some of the dialogue is difficulty (read nigh on impossible) to understand, but that doesn’t matter, the gist is horribly obvious.
I watched it late last night, and didn’t have a comfortable sleep.
I watched this quite a few years ago OB and really enjoyed it, so will watch it again.

Similar to this, and quite harrowing is Prisoners.

Also Gone Girl is great and stars Ben Affleck.
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22420
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: The Film Thread

Post by White Riot »

whiteroseboy wrote: ↑Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:16 pm My fav boxing pic is Cinderella Man with Russell Crowe, his best film imho.
Hard Times with Charles Bronson is also on my fav list, bit dated but another classic.
Raging Bull is the greatest boxing movie for me.
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22420
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: The Film Thread

Post by White Riot »

whiteroseboy wrote: ↑Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:05 am Don't think I've seen that one.

Of the ones I have seen my top 5 Crowe films would be :-
1. Cinderella Man
2. 3.10 to Yuma (I do like westerns)
3. A Beautiful Mind
4. Gladiator
5. Master & Commander - Far side of the World
WRB for the westerns, the remake of True Grit by the Coen Brothers was great, as was Hostiles.
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14664
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: The Film Thread

Post by hector »

what is WRB?
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22420
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: The Film Thread

Post by White Riot »

hector wrote: ↑Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:43 amwhat is WRB?
White Rose Boy 😉
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:22 pm

Re: The Film Thread

Post by whiteroseboy »

White Riot wrote: ↑Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:08 am White Rose Boy 😉
Now there would be a good film ;-)
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14664
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: The Film Thread

Post by hector »

White Riot wrote: ↑Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:08 am White Rose Boy 😉
Oh.... I thought it was the initials of your favourite western film.... :oops:

:)
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:22 pm

Re: The Film Thread

Post by whiteroseboy »

White Riot wrote: ↑Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:34 am WRB for the westerns, the remake of True Grit by the Coen Brothers was great, as was Hostiles.
The John Wayne Western I'd love to see a remake is The Searchers.
User avatar
wilsdenwhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:35 am

Re: The Film Thread

Post by wilsdenwhite »

whiteroseboy wrote: ↑Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:38 am The John Wayne Western I'd love to see a remake is The Searchers.
But why remake what is already timeless perfection? Just asking as a fan of westerns myself.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79212
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: The Film Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:54 am I can highly recommend GONE BABY GONE (Netflix) directed by Ben Affleck and starring his brother Casey, Ed Harris and Morgan Freeman. Set in Boston it follows the disturbing investigation of the abduction of a four year old little girl and from the very off I couldn’t get the case of Shannon Matthews out of my head.
The film is no-frills, dirty, gritty and likely to have your jaw dropping in disbelief at the reality of some of the the supporting characters. I’ve never been to Boston, but I’ve seen all of those characters in the worst council estates Leeds and Bradford has to offer. They aren’t pretty.
I’m not giving away the ending (obviously) but you’ll find yourself tearing your moral code book in half.
If I had one criticism of the film, some of the dialogue is difficulty (read nigh on impossible) to understand, but that doesn’t matter, the gist is horribly obvious.
I watched it late last night, and didn’t have a comfortable sleep.
Dennis Lehane's excellent book ... One of the better book to Film translations and Mystic River may be better
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79212
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: The Film Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

White Riot wrote: ↑Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:13 am Raging Bull is the greatest boxing movie for me.
Somebody up there likes me is my favourite boxing movie.. Paul Newman as Rocky Graziano
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Post Reply