Album of 1984 (Round 3) - RESULT

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4912
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:57 am

Re: Album of 1999 - NOMINATE NOW

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Arab Strap 'Mad for Sadness'
User avatar
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4912
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:57 am

Re: Album of 1999 - NOMINATE NOW

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:18 pm The 80s had post-punk, goth and hardcore.

It was the last time music was allied to anything genuinely counter-cultural, and I was young enough to still think it meant something.
Yep - never sure why it gets such a bad rap, even the pop was better in the 80s.
User avatar
Haighy
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2077
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Album of 1999 - NOMINATE NOW

Post by Haighy »

S & M by Metalica.
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18332
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Album of 1999 - NOMINATE NOW

Post by Muppet the Cat »

NorfolkWhite wrote: ↑Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:37 am Yep - never sure why it gets such a bad rap, even the pop was better in the 80s.
I’d agree with that as well Norfolk :tup:
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8202
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:07 pm

Re: Album of 1999 - NOMINATE NOW

Post by Mrs64 »

The Flaming Lips 'The Soft Bulletin'
gessa

Re: Album of 1999 - NOMINATE NOW

Post by gessa »

Mrs64 wrote: ↑Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:04 pm The Flaming Lips 'The Soft Bulletin'
Excellent choice
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79102
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Album of 1999 - NOMINATE NOW

Post by The Subhuman »

Never got on with the flaming lips ..
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Durly
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2339
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Album of 1999 - NOMINATE NOW

Post by Durly »

I was at the Arab Strap gig which they recorded for the Mad For Sadness live album. At the QE Hall on the South Bank. Have tickets to see them on their tour next year as well. Always loved 'em.
Image
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2911
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: Album of 1999 - Ian, MJ, SG, Paddy, Smudge, Westgate to Nominate

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

I'll sit this one out 64 please.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155360
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 1999 - Ian, MJ, SG, Paddy, Smudge, Westgate to Nominate

Post by 1964white »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: ↑Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:35 am I'll sit this one out 64 please.
Ok MJ :tup:
User avatar
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4912
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:57 am

Re: Album of 1999 - NOMINATE NOW

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Mrs64 wrote: ↑Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:04 pm The Flaming Lips 'The Soft Bulletin'
Seconded as a fine choice.
User avatar
Irish Ian
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 17184
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.

Re: Album of 1999 - Ian, SG, Paddy, Smudge, Westgate to Nominate

Post by Irish Ian »

Ill give this one a miss.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23144
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Album of 1999 - Ian, SG, Paddy, Smudge, Westgate to Nominate

Post by SG90 »

The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23144
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Album of 1999 - NOMINATE NOW

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: ↑Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:30 pm Never got on with the flaming lips ..
I didn't really enjoy them on record, but then I saw them at Glastonbury 3 years ago and they were incredible, and after that I really got into them.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155360
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 1999 - NOMINATE NOW

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: ↑Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:02 pm I didn't really enjoy them on record, but then I saw them at Glastonbury 3 years ago and they were incredible, and after that I really got into them.
Excellent band SG, their early albums are cracking, I've always thought the Lips would be a very good stage band :tup:
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155360
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 1999 - VOTE NOW

Post by 1964white »

ALBUM OF 1999

VOTE NOW

Sigur Ros 'Ágætis Byrjun' 64
Santana 'Supernatural'BB
James 'Millionaires' Cat
Death in Vegas 'The Contino Sessions' 1304
The Black Heart Procession '2' Ges
Red Hot Chilli Peppers ' Californication' Gandi
Wilco 'Summerteeth' Onemore
Richard Thompson 'Mock Tudor' John
Godspeed You! Black Emperor 'Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada' Durly
Blur 13' Andrew
Built to Spill 'Keep it Like A Secret' Faaip
Arab Strap 'Mad for Sadness' Norfolk
Metallica 'S&M' Haighy
Flaming Lips 'The Soft Bulletin' Mrs 64
Bonnie 'Prince' Billie 'I See A Darkness' Sara
The Dismemberment Plan 'Emergency & I' (SG)

Abstained - Azkal, Billie, Finn, Ian, MJ

I did say the 90's weren't great, maybe worth giving a few of the above albums a listen though folks
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79102
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Album of 1999 - VOTE NOW

Post by The Subhuman »

Death in Vegas 'The Contino Sessions' 1304
Built to Spill 'Keep it Like A Secret' Faaip
Wilco 'Summerteeth' Onemore
Godspeed You! Black Emperor 'Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada' Durly
Bonnie 'Prince' Billie 'I See A Darkness' Sara
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8202
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:07 pm

Re: Album of 1999 - NOMINATE NOW

Post by Mrs64 »

NorfolkWhite wrote: ↑Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:57 pm Seconded as a fine choice.
Thank you, all down to Leon playing their albums. I'd never heard of them previously
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8202
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:07 pm

Re: Album of 1999 - NOMINATE NOW

Post by Mrs64 »

gessa wrote: ↑Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:14 pm Excellent choice
Thank you Ges x
User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14819
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: Album of 1999 - VOTE NOW

Post by lufc1304 »

Death in Vegas
Flaming Lips
Black Heart Procession
Sigur Ros
Built to Spill
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Post Reply