Leeds Utd v Brentford Match Thread - Alioski Replaces Douglas

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Re: Leeds Utd v Brentford Match Thread - Alioski Replaces Douglas

Post by YorkshireSquare »

60sUnited wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:13 pm Its as if Bielsa is thinking, lets start with this line up with no attacking threat or pace and lull the opposition into a false sense of security and then bring on our two 'certain starts with any other championship team ' and bingo !!!

I think he is very conscious of the errors we made last season. Playing Klich and Forshaw is far more conservative but offers us protection. With Pablo we will always have moments of brilliance. Costa and Eddie allow us to change things dramatically but I would like to see Pablo given a rest occasionally and if Eddie continues to impress may be hard not to start him.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

SaraM wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:07 pm Listening to LUTV commentary and reading this thread at the same time. Feels like an important win tonight.

Enjoy your wine (I'm on the Rioja)!
Ahhh. See, us ladies can multi task. Listening and reading at the same time :)

Yes, important win tonight

I'm on Sauvignon Blanc....Mr Swan loves his Rioja's. We have a case delivered every three months from Laithwaits :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:22 pm Ahhh. See, us ladies can multi task. Listening and reading at the same time :)

I'm on Sauvignon Blanc....Mr Swan loves his Rioja's. We have a case delivered every three months from Laithwaits :)
Their Martinez Bujanda is delicious.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

gessa wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:24 pm Their Martinez Bujanda is delicious.
Thanks ges, will give it a look :)
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:22 pm Ahhh. See, us ladies can multi task. Listening and reading at the same time :)

Listening, reading, AND drinking - so talented!

Mine's just a Campo Viejo from the local shop, but it's ok once it's breathed.
gessa

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:29 pm Thanks ges, will give it a look :)

Thet do several, the reserva is my personal favourite, mind did get a great bargain off them(well sunday times wineclub) same really. The 2015 gran reserva half price, one we have with a nice fillet steak.
gessa

Post by gessa »

From the Brentford manager

"I can't imagine, going forward, a more difficult away ground to go to than this one."
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

I'm absolutely buzzing this morning, walking around at work singing Leeds tunes.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

gessa wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:55 pm The lad.

It's his birthday next Thursday, so that'll save me a present :)

You taking T ?
I've put my +1 down as T :tup: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:18 pm I think he is very conscious of the errors we made last season. Playing Klich and Forshaw is far more conservative but offers us protection. With Pablo we will always have moments of brilliance. Costa and Eddie allow us to change things dramatically but I would like to see Pablo given a rest occasionally and if Eddie continues to impress may be hard not to start him.
I was thinking the same. Seen alot of opposition fans saying we dont look as good as last year.But we are still getting the results and rarely look troubled. I think Bielsa has learned from last year and is to some extent sacrificing the flair we had last year for solidity, knowing we will find a way through at some point. Not as good to watch but gets the job done.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Really good performance 2nd half vs a side who we traditionally struggle against.

MB got his subs right, very rare Pablo has a bad game so can forgive that.

Eddie and Helder gave us something different, something we lacked all last season, pace.

Ben White was immense, Forshaw was class, Bamford worked hard, Klich played a key role, Ali was a bundle of energy (offensively very good, defensively not so much but didnt have to be).

Very decent overall.

Bit surprised by Brentford, when did they become a long ball team?

Raya launching balls forward, not usually that way.

They had moments and looked comfortable 2nd half but very obvious Maupay is a huge miss.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:53 pm Bit surprised by Brentford, when did they become a long ball team?
Maybe when they signed a centreback that isn't comfortable plying out from the back....
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

weasel wrote: ↑

Maybe when they signed a centreback that isn't comfortable playing out from the back....
Good arrow weasel
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:56 pm Maybe when they signed a centreback that isn't comfortable plying out from the back....
Beat me to it
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Worst performance of the season, at least we broke the ER hoodoo with a victory thanks to Nketiah , Costa & the sublime pass from Klich

Laboured to say the least

Report up later
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

1964white wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:54 am Worst performance of the season, at least we broke the ER hoodoo with a victory thanks to Nketiah , Costa & the sublime pass from Klich

Report up later

Brentford pressed us high in the first half and we found it difficult to get the ball out of our final third. Some poor passing didn't help with that. On the positive side we soaked up the pressure which allowed us to play more second half and create chances. And we should have had a penalty!

Dogged performance, a game we could have easily lost but Cost and Eddie bring us something we didn't have last season.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Brentford coach's views.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:54 am Worst performance of the season, at least we broke the ER hoodoo with a victory thanks to Nketiah , Costa & the sublime pass from Klich
It was but equally we looked solid from a defensive point of view with Brentford limited to a couple of long shots, one a cracking shot that hit the post but the sort of range and distance that as a defender you'd be happy to let him shoot from as likely 1 in 100 that goes in from there.

At times last season, even when winning, the opposition seemed to carve us open time after time.

Like YS said our passing in the opposition half was a lot poorer than usual and there will be games where that happens but at least if we can remain solid defensively we know we always have the quality to score a goal even if playing poorly. The goal itself was incredibly beautiful, the weight of pass from Klich, the composure of Costa, to go with his speed, to get into the perfect position and deliver the perfect cross and the excellent movement and speed from Eddie to get into a position where he was completely isolated for a simple tap in.

The better chances were undeniably ours, the 2 Bamford headers, the penalty shout, Klich's shot compared to Brentford's couple of long range efforts.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Not the best performance, but the kind of one which we would have ended up drawing or losing last year. Thought our passing was uncharacteristically poor, especially from Pablo who seemed a bit laboured all game.

Defensively we look excellent and I can only think of a couple of times that they opened us up. Apparently we've only allowed 6 (successful) passes into the box in our 4 games so far which is testament to that.

Thought Costa and Nketiah were obviously the difference makers. Costa is really busy and doesn't look short of confidence - always looking to get into the box. Nketiah has great instincts, but does look a little bit away from being fully integrated atm, but its incredibly promising. That goal was almost identical to the Salford one.

Great to see ER full and in good voice. It was very quiet from 70ish when nerves were setting in, but I'm not sure it affected the players.

Feel for Bamford a bit with the massive 'Eddie' chant when he came on, but he continued to graft and didn't let his head drop either. Don't think he had a bad game and only really had 2 chances, one which was difficult, the other under a lot of pressure from the keeper and that was almost in.

Brentford pressed excellently in the first half and really stifled our game, but we saw that out without them really threatening and I don't think we'll find many teams press us like that.
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:02 pm Felt like we proved a point tonight: Leeds will not fall to your counterattacks and have all the tools to unlock your defence.

Same points as this time last season but feeling much more secure, or is it just me?
I think Fulham and WBA are better teams than what Norwich and Sheff UTD were last season - thats just on paper though. For me we are going ot have to get around 10 more points than we did last season.

Bamford is a trier but the wee lad that scored (sp) has to start on Saturday for me - lightening quick.

One more thing - I owe Forshaw an apology if hes ever read my posts - he had a stormer and is a real tough guy you like to have on your side. I'm starting to see his qualities more so this season.

For some strange reason I'm still more confident of wins when we go away from home - lets hit stoke for 3 or 4.