Kemar Roofe

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Kemar Roofe

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:40 pm Yeah when I saw that CJay posted in the Roofe thread that it'd be slagging off Roofe.
A 1 in 5 strike rate isnt good enough.

As MB says, its a bottom of the table strike rate.

Not slagging Roofe off, just a fact.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

No it's not f**king fact at all...please take me through every chance and work out the possible outcome...Roofe has missed a few half chances or worse...he's missed very few good chances. I've said before stats are pure bullshit and MB has not singled out Roofe at all.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Stats have ruined the way footballers are judged.

As Faaip says - shots per goals don't show how good the chances were, and they don't take into account a player's willingness to have a shot on goal. They don't give credit to a player who is intelligent enough to get into good positions. When it comes to goal attempts, the odds are in the defending team's favour because it is hard to score in football. The more shots you have the more your ratio of successes will fall

Another stat that doesn't mean anything in itself is assists. For a player to be credited with an assist there has to be a goal, but if the recipient of the pass isn't good enough to score then there is no assist. That doesn't mean that the passing player didn't do just as well as a player whose pass led to a goal.

The adage of lies, damn lies and statistics is being proven more and more correct with the proliferation of the use of statistics in sport.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:57 pm No it's not f**king fact at all...please take me through every chance and work out the possible outcome...Roofe has missed a few half chances or worse...he's missed very few good chances. I've said before stats are pure bullshit and MB has not singled out Roofe at all.
Bielsa has criticised our finishing all season, did it again today.

That means Roofe to as the main striker? He isnt going to pick on 1 player. Bamford is a better finisher then Roofe, Movement, link play from Roofe, very good, finishing, Bamford definitely has the edge imo.

I cant find an (xG) for The Championship.
Last edited by Cjay on Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

HarryofOz wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:05 am Stats have ruined the way footballers are judged.

As Faaip says - shots per goals don't show how good the chances were, and they don't take into account a player's willingness to have a shot on goal. They don't give credit to a player who is intelligent enough to get into good positions. When it comes to goal attempts, the odds are in the defending team's favour because it is hard to score in football. The more shots you have the more your ratio of successes will fall

Another stat that doesn't mean anything in itself is assists. For a player to be credited with an assist there has to be a goal, but if the recipient of the pass isn't good enough to score then there is no assist. That doesn't mean that the passing player didn't do just as well as a player whose pass led to a goal.

The adage of lies, damn lies and statistics is being proven more and more correct with the proliferation of the use of statistics in sport.
Roofe chooses to shoot, thats his choice, if he chooses to shoot and its difficult and he misses then thats his fault surely?

He doesnt have to shoot, could just keep the ball. If he chooses to shoot he must think he has a good chance of scoring or why shoot?

I think his movement is very good, always said that, but i think he is a poor finisher, not clinical.

There are no expected goal stats i can find for individual players but imo when your manager is critical of the finishing of the team then the main striker for the season is someone who that most definitely includes.

Bamford has 2 goals from 6 shots incidentally.
Signed

King Cjay

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Cjay wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:25 am Roofe chooses to shoot, thats his choice, if he chooses to shoot and its difficult and he misses then thats his fault surely?

He doesnt have to shoot, could just keep the ball. If he chooses to shoot he must think he has a good chance of scoring or why shoot?

I think his movement is very good, always said that, but i think he is a poor finisher, not clinical.

There are no expected goal stats i can find for individual players but imo when your manager is critical of the finishing of the team then the main striker for the season is someone who that most definitely includes.

Bamford has 2 goals from 6 shots incidentally.
It's not a question of fault, it's about how different players play differently. I'm not saying that Roofe is a better or worse striker than those you listed or Bamford but different. But mainly I'm saying don't judge the quality of a striker or any other player based on a single statistic.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

tbh roofe only scored one in last six games is disappointing, but also I can't really remember him having too many good opportunities. he's not going to be scoring that many headers from crosses because of his lack of height, and that has left him recently with basically feeding off scraps and rebounds in the box. as i've said prefer would prefer bamford in that lone role up front but don't think roofe has done a bad job, scored a lot of goals this season

more worrying was roofe's attitude yesterday, diving, persistant petulant fouls, throwing his arms up in the air, trying to take everyone on rather than pass it - was immature and disappointing
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Roofe isn't the problem. As I have stated on another thread it is the fact that for most of the season we have only had 3 goal threats in the team, Hernandez, Roofe and Klich. If we played with 2 strikers and the second striker had scored as many as Roofe then we are flying. Yes Bamford playing instead of Roofe may give us a marginal better goals return but it still wouldn't solve the problem of others in the team not contributing with goals. It isn't even just the lack of goals but lack of goal threat, when Ayling, Douglas, PJ, Cooper, KP, Forshaw, Harrison, Alioski etc shoot in open play you don't even really expect them to trouble the keeper. Klich since his great start to the season has been awful in front of goal too. The key now is to somehow integrate Bamford into the same team as Roofe and hope that Roofe can keep scoring goals at the rate he has all season whilst also having Bamford scoring at a rate that is considerably better than we'd get from the rest of the team. If we can get Brown in and scoring too then we suddenly look a different team.

Roofe is very much a reactionary, instinctive striker. Give him too much time to think and he likely won't score but he gets into good positions and is able to convert chances that other strikers wouldn't. I think there is a way to play him and Bamford together.
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

See If I was to compare someone like Roofe to a Chris Wood..... Roofe isn't clinical enough and I don't blame him cause we had to make do at the start of the Season cause of the Bamford injury.
Chris Wood was banging them in for fun and we didn't have no where near the possession that we had this Season.
Chris Wood has played 25 games this Season in the Premier League and only scored 4, so the reality is if we were to go up Roofe would be lucky to be on the bench in the Premier league and that's not being rude but the majority of our players aren't Premier League standard.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Been spotted in Leeds city centre wearing a leg brace.

Because of course he has.

Bamford is back now so stands to reason Roofe would get injured.
Signed

King Cjay

RcR
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by RcR »

Yeh seen the pictures , today with the results and now this is just typical Leeds MOT!!!!!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Would probably mean a stronger team though if he is injured because MB couldn't pick him as a AMF (I've always said he's not an AMF) and we'd not lose much with him not on the bench either.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:09 pm Been spotted in Leeds city centre wearing a leg brace.

Because of course he has.

Bamford is back now so stands to reason Roofe would get injured.
The brace is understood be being used as a precaution apparently
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:18 pm The brace is understood be being used as a precaution apparently
Where did you read that?

That's a brace for knee ligaments apparently, so if it's worst case then that's his season.

Absolutely mad how many injuries we've had this season.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

faaip wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:13 pm Would probably mean a stronger team though if he is injured because MB couldn't pick him as a AMF (I've always said he's not an AMF) and we'd not lose much with him not on the bench either.
Maybe, maybe not. If he's out for the season then it weakens the squad.

Let's hope it's not too serious and that Brown is ready for a run in the team.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:38 pm Where did you read that?

That's a brace for knee ligaments apparently, so if it's worst case then that's his season.

Absolutely mad how many injuries we've had this season.
Screenshot 2019-02-16 at 21.06.14.png
Screenshot 2019-02-16 at 21.06.14.png (109.52 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:08 pm Screenshot 2019-02-16 at 21.06.14.png
Interesting. Wonder whether the club will move to reassure fans?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Yep has picked up on story with Roofe set for a scan..

Bugger

Seems we have had 45 individual inuries this season. That is horrendous.
Last edited by Irish Ian on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

page unavailable ..did they yank it real quick?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Sorted now
Last edited by Irish Ian on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa