QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
-
Genghers
- Superstar

- Posts: 5801
- Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
- Location: Newcastle
QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
Time to ditch the ineffective 4-4-2 and bring players into the correct positions. Sounds like Evans might not have a huge amount of choice at the back, with injuries and suspensions stacking up...
-------------Silvestri-------------
Byram-Bellusci-Cooper-Taylor
--------------Murphy-------------
--------Cook-------Mowatt------
Dallas---------------------Botaka
--------------Wood---------------
If Taylor isn't ready, then I think Cooper is the only real option at LB, and Wooton would have to come in at CB instead. Coyle and Killock on the bench??
-------------Silvestri-------------
Byram-Bellusci-Cooper-Taylor
--------------Murphy-------------
--------Cook-------Mowatt------
Dallas---------------------Botaka
--------------Wood---------------
If Taylor isn't ready, then I think Cooper is the only real option at LB, and Wooton would have to come in at CB instead. Coyle and Killock on the bench??
-
rab_rant
Re: QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
I like the idea of Dallas and Botaka on the wings.Genghers wrote:Time to ditch the ineffective 4-4-2 and bring players into the correct positions. Sounds like Evans might not have a huge amount of choice at the back, with injuries and suspensions stacking up...
-------------Silvestri-------------
Byram-Bellusci-Cooper-Taylor
--------------Murphy-------------
--------Cook-------Mowatt------
Dallas---------------------Botaka
--------------Wood---------------
If Taylor isn't ready, then I think Cooper is the only real option at LB, and Wooton would have to come in at CB instead. Coyle and Killock on the bench??
I would also give Erwin a chance upfront instead of Wood.
-
Genghers
- Superstar

- Posts: 5801
- Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
- Location: Newcastle
Re: QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
Would be a big ask to throw Erwin in with such limited first team experience IMO, though he'd be my first choice off the bench in this system...rab_rant wrote:I like the idea of Dallas and Botaka on the wings.
I would also give Erwin a chance upfront instead of Wood.
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155150
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
I would go for that team although i reckon Taylor won't be match-fit, hope Charlie is ready to play. If not Wootton to his natural position with Cooper at LB unless Wootton can step in on the left.Genghers wrote:Time to ditch the ineffective 4-4-2 and bring players into the correct positions. Sounds like Evans might not have a huge amount of choice at the back, with injuries and suspensions stacking up...
-------------Silvestri-------------
Byram-Bellusci-Cooper-Taylor
--------------Murphy-------------
--------Cook-------Mowatt------
Dallas---------------------Botaka
--------------Wood---------------
If Taylor isn't ready, then I think Cooper is the only real option at LB, and Wooton would have to come in at CB instead. Coyle and Killock on the bench??
Cook, Murphy & Mowatt were poor last Saturday but i would still start with all three
-
Genghers
- Superstar

- Posts: 5801
- Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
- Location: Newcastle
Re: QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
Yeah, I hope they don't push Taylor back in too soon because of this, we don't want him missing for even longer. Wooton at LB would be a terrifying prospect!1964white wrote:I would go for that team although i reckon Taylor won't be match-fit, hope Charlie is ready to play. If not Wootton to his natural position with Cooper at LB unless Wootton can step in on the left.
Cook, Murphy & Mowatt were poor last Saturday but i would still start with all three
Hopefully the 3 CMs will play better in the middle together. Sounds like Murphy and Cook didn't have much chance to get on the ball on Saturday, which can often lead to you trying to force things when you do get it and then making mistakes...
- Gurj
- Manager

- Posts: 2755
- Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 am
- Location: Birmingham
Re: QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
Going to this one on Saturday and much like my last away day at MK, I really do not know what to expect from our totally inconsistent team. I'd probably take a point to be honest but QPR are not doing much right now and good old Warnock will be in charge.
I was surprised that young Charlie Taylor wasn't given a run out for the U21 side yesterday. We would have then had a clearer indication if he was ready for 90 mins on Saturday. Looks like it will have to be Wooton and Byram as the full backs with Berardi suspended. I also think its about time we unleashed Botaka from the start. He always seems to inject some much needed flair/pace when he comes on from the bench but by then we are usually losing.
I was surprised that young Charlie Taylor wasn't given a run out for the U21 side yesterday. We would have then had a clearer indication if he was ready for 90 mins on Saturday. Looks like it will have to be Wooton and Byram as the full backs with Berardi suspended. I also think its about time we unleashed Botaka from the start. He always seems to inject some much needed flair/pace when he comes on from the bench but by then we are usually losing.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
-
rab_rant
Re: QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
Loan transfer window closes soon and Evans although promising to bring in new players
has failed to do so. With the departure of Horton and the injury to Turnbull, I think it
is imperative to find some cover for Sylvestri.
Regarding the back four Bamba is out with a broken toe and Berardi is suspended.
Hopefully Taylor will be back to the left back position and young Sam can go in
at right back and both function as wingbacks getting forward.
There was hope that Lafferty would come in from Norwich since the two strikers
up front were certainly misfiring against Rotherham and Erwin is a bit of an unknown
quantity.
Will we get any new players in before the loan doors close or do we have to think
about reshuffling the pack or the formation of the players?
has failed to do so. With the departure of Horton and the injury to Turnbull, I think it
is imperative to find some cover for Sylvestri.
Regarding the back four Bamba is out with a broken toe and Berardi is suspended.
Hopefully Taylor will be back to the left back position and young Sam can go in
at right back and both function as wingbacks getting forward.
There was hope that Lafferty would come in from Norwich since the two strikers
up front were certainly misfiring against Rotherham and Erwin is a bit of an unknown
quantity.
Will we get any new players in before the loan doors close or do we have to think
about reshuffling the pack or the formation of the players?
-
Genghers
- Superstar

- Posts: 5801
- Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
- Location: Newcastle
Re: QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
I can't see us getting anyone in now, considering they've now been talking about it for 4 weeks... A reshuffle is the best option, especially given the poor performance vs. Rotherham. 3 in midfield is the way to go imo, but we'll see what Evans thinks!rab_rant wrote:Will we get any new players in before the loan doors close or do we have to think
about reshuffling the pack or the formation of the players?
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 78993
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
Maybe SE is only a stop gap...why let him bring in players in that instance. Or loan players are usually rubbish anyway
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
-
Genghers
- Superstar

- Posts: 5801
- Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
- Location: Newcastle
Re: QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
A stop gap until January? Even though I'm not convinced by him, he still needs more time.faaip wrote:Maybe SE is only a stop gap...why let him bring in players in that instance. Or loan players are usually rubbish anyway
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155150
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
I can think of only 5 or 6 loan players whom have been decent/done the business for us over the last eleven yearsfaaip wrote:loan players are usually rubbish anyway
-
Genghers
- Superstar

- Posts: 5801
- Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
- Location: Newcastle
Re: QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
Of the 70-odd that's not a great strike rate! Did anyone continue that list of loanees which was ongoing throughout league 1?1964white wrote:I can think of only 5 or 6 loan players whom have been decent/done the business for us over the last eleven years
edit: Yes, yes they have:
-
Genghers
- Superstar

- Posts: 5801
- Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
- Location: Newcastle
Re: QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
90!
Kilkenny, Gradel, Clayton, O'Brien (awful when signed permanently), Lichaj, McCarthy, Butland, Bellusci (though I think he was signed pretty quickly after arriving), Bamba.
So I make that 1/10 which is very poor. I wonder how other Championship/League 1 clubs' loans stack up against that?
There are a couple of players who are clearly good, but didn't perform/weren't utilised properly when they were here. Barkley and Wickham for example. Delph didn't exactly pull up roots on his return the other year either.
Kilkenny, Gradel, Clayton, O'Brien (awful when signed permanently), Lichaj, McCarthy, Butland, Bellusci (though I think he was signed pretty quickly after arriving), Bamba.
So I make that 1/10 which is very poor. I wonder how other Championship/League 1 clubs' loans stack up against that?
There are a couple of players who are clearly good, but didn't perform/weren't utilised properly when they were here. Barkley and Wickham for example. Delph didn't exactly pull up roots on his return the other year either.
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155150
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
From the championship only Blackburn & Rotherham have made a loan signing in the last ten days
One of those two is now suspended as we all know
One of those two is now suspended as we all know
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155150
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
Disregarding the players that we signed on a permanent basis, only these impressed me:
Gray
Lichaj
Freedman
Kishishev (first time round)
McCarthy (Reading keeper)
I liked Vokes & Keogh who worked their socks off but didn't score enough goals unfortunately
Gray
Lichaj
Freedman
Kishishev (first time round)
McCarthy (Reading keeper)
I liked Vokes & Keogh who worked their socks off but didn't score enough goals unfortunately
-
Genghers
- Superstar

- Posts: 5801
- Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
- Location: Newcastle
Re: QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
Yeah, reading through my list, it's only Lichaj and the two keepers that we didn't sign permanently, which is probably an indication that they were good loanees!1964white wrote:Disregarding the players that we signed on a permanent basis, only these impressed me:
Gray
Lichaj
Freedman
Kishishev (first time round)
McCarthy (Reading keeper)
I liked Vokes & Keogh who worked their socks off but didn't score enough goals unfortunately
I wasn't following when Gray, Freedman or Kishishev were here, so can't comment.
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155150
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
Micky Gray & Dougie Freedman are our stand out loanees for meGenghers wrote: Yeah, reading through my list, it's only Lichaj and the two keepers that we didn't sign permanently, which is probably an indication that they were good loanees!
I wasn't following when Gray, Freedman or Kishishev were here, so can't comment.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 78993
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
Loans should be, either, short term to recover from injury or suspension, they should be experienced players, See Freedman
or
Loans should be season long with an option to buy, there's no point breaking in players for someone else
or
Loans should be season long with an option to buy, there's no point breaking in players for someone else
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- weasel
- Superstar

- Posts: 19693
- Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
- Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet
Re: QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
I think I counted 29 that did okay out of those, several of which we went on to sign permanently.
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
- Oscar
- First Team

- Posts: 1475
- Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:14 pm
Re: QPR v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings
I think the main problem is that the team is lacking a little bit of balance at the moment. For the first 17 games we have mainly played teams which have featured mainly players with: less than 2 years experience in the Championship, players who have done ok in the championship and may have the potential (in a few years) to become fantastic championship players and 4-5 players who are still inexperienced but have huge potential. I said at the start of the season Chris Wood was probably the only player in our squad who was proven in the championship and (in my opinion) had the quality to play for a top 6 team in the championship. I don't think we have any real chance of the top 6 now, however, I think Steve Evans needs to change how he selects his starting 11 for games.
I think we need to change the balance: i.e. start 3 different types of players.
1. Players who have already been fantastic in the championship and have played a few games at premier league level
2. Play players from our academy/under 21's who have huge potential (which we already are doing very well)
3. Play players who have been in good form this season.
The reason I think this new formula could be a success is that by playing players from category 1, it means they can provide valuable experience to the other players and they know what to do in different situations i.e. 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go or 1-1 with 5 minutes to go. Playing players in category 2, was key in our run between January and April 2015 last season. Players from category 3, will also boost the team as they will have more confidence. Many previous succesful teams have been built on similar foundations to this.
For that reason my squad for QPR would be (the number is the category I think they fit into.) Also assuming Liam Bridcutt has signed and Charlie Taylor is still able to play.
GK Silvestri
RB Coyle (2)
CB Bellusci (3)
CB Cooper (3)
LB Taylor (2) (3)
CDM Bridcutt (1)
CDM Cook (2) (In a box to box midfielder role.)
CAM Mowatt (2)
RM Byram (2)
STR Wood (1) (3)
LM Buckley (1)
Subs: Peacock- Farrell?, Bamba, Sloth, Murphy, Dallas, Antenucci, Erwin.
I think we need to change the balance: i.e. start 3 different types of players.
1. Players who have already been fantastic in the championship and have played a few games at premier league level
2. Play players from our academy/under 21's who have huge potential (which we already are doing very well)
3. Play players who have been in good form this season.
The reason I think this new formula could be a success is that by playing players from category 1, it means they can provide valuable experience to the other players and they know what to do in different situations i.e. 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go or 1-1 with 5 minutes to go. Playing players in category 2, was key in our run between January and April 2015 last season. Players from category 3, will also boost the team as they will have more confidence. Many previous succesful teams have been built on similar foundations to this.
For that reason my squad for QPR would be (the number is the category I think they fit into.) Also assuming Liam Bridcutt has signed and Charlie Taylor is still able to play.
GK Silvestri
RB Coyle (2)
CB Bellusci (3)
CB Cooper (3)
LB Taylor (2) (3)
CDM Bridcutt (1)
CDM Cook (2) (In a box to box midfielder role.)
CAM Mowatt (2)
RM Byram (2)
STR Wood (1) (3)
LM Buckley (1)
Subs: Peacock- Farrell?, Bamba, Sloth, Murphy, Dallas, Antenucci, Erwin.