Play Off Final - Post Match Discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Play off final - Post match discussion

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:43 pm Well said and a voice of sanity.

I don't get the knocking of Farke. Rutter, Summerville and Gnonto failed when the pressure was on. Even against Norwich it took the free kick goal to give us lift off - prior to that Summerville had missed a good chance. Against Leicester and the forwards missed great chances, we then go a goal down and it takes a defender to get us level. Against Blackburn it was same story they didn't show up.

If you're big players don't show up there is little that tactics matter. Give me Dan James over any of those mentioned any day of the week.

Hopefully this turns out for the best. Yes we will lose a few players, maybe more than few, but it doesn't have to be a disaster. I hope we keep Gray, out of the players that will get offers he is the one I really want to stay. Rutter could turn out to be anything, losing him could be like losing Cantona but equally I have seen no real progression from him this season after flattering early on. Summerville and Gnonto are matchwinners on their day but seem like flat track bullies. Lose them but keep James and I am happy, we then hopefully have some money to buy another winger. If we could get Jack Clarke I would be delighted.

Let's start at the back and if we lose Messlier well it is meh. Every year it is the same - talking baout potential and forgiving him mistakes. A steady keeper, Alex McCarthy is out of contract, and I feel we are improved in the short term certainly. Full back and who knows what will happen with Firpo. If he stays I am happy, if we get decent money I am happy. Byram is good as back-up would be first choice but for injuries so we need to buy. Wouldn't be averse to trying to get Conor Roberts who may well want to leave Burnley. Ampadu I would expect to stay, Struyjk should be back too. Maybe Cresswell steps up as it is unlikey Rodon returns but who knows maybe we can tempt him.

Midfield and hopefully Gray can go in there. We need goals and creativity there. I Gruev and Kamara stay then that's fine as one can play DM. Ideally a creative midfielder can be signed..

Up front and can we get the best out of Piroe or does Joseph get the chance to show what he can do? Maybe both of them start.

It doesn't need to be a disaster. Are Burnley, Luton and Sheff U as good as Leicester and Southampton? Is any promoted league 1 team as good as Ipswich? There seems nothing to fear so as long as we do okay with incoming signings to replace the leavers then we should be favourites to go up.
And I don't get the knocking of Rutter/Summerville and Gnonto. Geo left it all out there today. You're not on any moral high ground here picking on the players. I think we were hampered today with no striker on the pitch...again
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Play Off Final - Post Match Discussion

Post by Leeds1000 »

Its was a poor display. James being our best attacking player by a mile. He drives forward and puts crosses into the box and he has a good shot on him. A fraction lower and we are right back in the game and with that momentum we probably go on and win the game.
Johnsie123
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Johnsie123 »

Totally agree unfortunately Gnotto,Rutter,summerville Kamare, to name some of the players who never showed up .I hate to say it but Southampton deserved the win,now begins the household sale of players start again next year and got to go straight up not sure DFis for us 1 plan only.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:52 pm And I don't get the knocking of Rutter/Summerville and Gnonto. Geo left it all out there today. You're not on any moral high ground here picking on the players. I think we were hampered today with no striker on the pitch...again
Hampered today because we were so narrow even the commentators picked up on it and because we absolutely refused to cross the ball.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

The result was no great surprise to me. Southampton had won both of the league fixtures, after all.
We had chances to secure a top two finish, but we went off the boil at the business end of the season.
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

SG90 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:26 pm Gonna have to rely on loans and frees next season. Not saying there won't be quality to find though, as Ipswich and Southampton have shown.

Summerville, Gray and Gnonto sold to pay for the loan rats. Firpo loaned out to get off the wage bill and maybe Bamford edged out if we can do a deal.

A squad looking like this:
Meslier
Loan Struijk Ampadu Byram
Kamara Gruev
James Piroe Rutter
Joseph

Good enough for top 6, but not promotion. We need goals in midfield and creativity.
Darko
Firpo Cresswell Struijk New player
Ampadu Gray
James Piroe Rutter
Joseph

Subs
Klasson
Byram
Kamara
Gruev
Gelheart
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

SG90 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:26 pm Gonna have to rely on loans and frees next season. Not saying there won't be quality to find though, as Ipswich and Southampton have shown.

Summerville, Gray and Gnonto sold to pay for the loan rats. Firpo loaned out to get off the wage bill and maybe Bamford edged out if we can do a deal.

A squad looking like this:
Meslier
Loan Struijk Ampadu Byram
Kamara Gruev
James Piroe Rutter
Joseph

Good enough for top 6, but not promotion. We need goals in midfield and creativity.
Darko
Ampadu Gray
James Piroe Rutter
Joseph

Subs
Klasson
Byram
Kamara
Gruev
Gelheart
J21
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by J21 »

Well that was an absolute shocking performance lads, who would have thought we'd lose out in the play offs, aren't we the best team in the league? Weren't we supposed to 'storm the league'?!

The media have been banging on about Leeds so much so that I got sick of hearing it,when it really mattered it looked like we couldn't be Farking bothered for most of the match!

I'd certainly been predicting a riot all season, although it's ironic we stole the song from the band from the actual Premier League team Leicester. Serves us right I suppose, now we can travel down to Leicester to watch some decent football, we got what we deserved ;)

Marching On Down The M1 Together
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

pjm2019 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:15 pm Darko
Ampadu Gray
James Piroe Rutter
Joseph

Subs
Klasson
Byram
Kamara
Gruev
Gelheart
Think you mean Darlow who was rubbish in his one game, unless your starting Gyabi in goal? I like Mes and he's Leeds, plus good enough for this division. Just coach him properly. Klaesson also impressed me.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

J21 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:18 pm Well that was an absolute shocking performance lads, who would have thought we'd lose out in the play offs, aren't we the best team in the league? Weren't we supposed to 'storm the league'?!

The media have been banging on about Leeds so much so that I got sick of hearing it,when it really mattered it looked like we couldn't be Farking bothered for most of the match!

I'd certainly been predicting a riot all season, although it's ironic we stole the song from the band from the actual Premier League team Leicester. Serves us right I suppose, now we can travel down to Leicester to watch some decent football, we got what we deserved ;)

Enjoy the points deduction
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

pjm2019 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:18 pm Darko
Ampadu Gray
James Piroe Rutter
Joseph

Subs
Klasson
Byram
Kamara
Gruev
Gelheart
Cresswell will be sold
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

J21 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:18 pm Well that was an absolute shocking performance lads, who would have thought we'd lose out in the play offs, aren't we the best team in the league? Weren't we supposed to 'storm the league'?!

Hi Geronimo :wave:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:20 pm Enjoy the points deduction
Who does he support?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:22 pm Who does he support?
Leicester it's obvious.

Still crying about I predict a riot ffs :lol:

Really sad bunch. How will they cope getting battered every week since they can't take losing in the Championship lol?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:22 pm Leicester it's obvious.

Still crying about I predict a riot ffs :lol:

Really sad bunch. How will they cope getting battered every week since they can't take losing in the Championship lol?
The song by the band that support Leeds and are named for Leeds United .... wierd small minded fucker. Didn't realize another fan base is deluded enough to try to claim it tbh
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:24 pm The song by the band that support Leeds and are named for Leeds United .... wierd fucker. Didn't realize another fan base is deluded enough to try to claim it tbh
I mean we play it after every home game, but they think it's only for them. Got lucky once, after being funded by dodgy Thai money, and think they're something special.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

SG90 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:20 pm Enjoy the points deduction

Why are other clubs so jealous of us :duno: must be embarassing being a small club in the Midlands.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

SG90 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:26 pm I mean we play it after every home game, but they think it's only for them. Got lucky once, after being funded by dodgy Thai money, and think they're something special.
It probably made them feel special thinking it was played just for them.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

whiteswan wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:32 pm Why are other clubs so jealous of us :duno: must be embarassing being a small club in the Midlands.
Cause they thought they had the divine right to win every match this season, hence the bitterness whenever they lost. Most of their fans think they're getting top ten next season, but they'll be straight back down.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:52 pm And I don't get the knocking of Rutter/Summerville and Gnonto. Geo left it all out there today. You're not on any moral high ground here picking on the players. I think we were hampered today with no striker on the pitch...again
I could run around like a d*ck but it doesn't mean I would have impacted the game.

Piroe is a striker, it is up to others to create chances for him. Create chances and get the ball to Kane and he will score, don't create chances or give him the ball and he has little impact on the game.

I said before the game that if Rutter, Summerville and Gnonto play well then we win. They didn't and we didn't. Defensively and midfield we weren't great but fairly much contained them for the main but we lacked any threat.