Play Off Final - Post Match Discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
hector

Match Thread Play Off Final - Post Match Discussion

Post by hector »

Will be unlocked after the match
Morpheus
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Play off final - Post match discussion

Post by Morpheus »

Farke needs to go.

Yes, you heard it here first.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Meek and poor until we had no choice but to fly forward.

Southampton the better team, better coached, congratulations.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Cjay wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:06 pm Meek and poor until we had no choice but to fly forward.

I'd have to agree.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:06 pm Meek and poor until we had no choice but to fly forward.

Daniel seems to like this lets see how the game unfolds mentality... he's probably the most negative manager we've had in a while.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

I wonder if DF fancies a return to being the Sporting Director? A man manager supreme, no question: no evidence of being a master football tactician though.
Learning from past mistakes doesn’t appear to be his forte.
Btw this is not a knee jerk reaction, and I’m not calling for his head - Leeds United is better as a club with him in it, I’m just not convinced his best position is on the touch line.

(repeated from the game thread)
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Farke got us to 90 points.

The players froze today, three of our front four were sub-par when it mattered. We’ve been inconsistent for two months, it’s not just the manager that failed.

We’re better suited to a rebuild in the Championship, it’ll be interesting to see what the 49ers approach is, what happens with the rats and where it leaves us re FFP.

Might be a long summer.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Play Off Final - Post Match Discussion

Post by SG90 »

Gonna have to rely on loans and frees next season. Not saying there won't be quality to find though, as Ipswich and Southampton have shown.

Summerville, Gray and Gnonto sold to pay for the loan rats. Firpo loaned out to get off the wage bill and maybe Bamford edged out if we can do a deal.

A squad looking like this:
Meslier
Loan Struijk Ampadu Byram
Kamara Gruev
James Piroe Rutter
Joseph

Good enough for top 6, but not promotion. We need goals in midfield and creativity.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1000 matches on next season, so sky will probably move all 46 games :roll:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:18 pm Farke got us to 90 points.

The players froze today, three of our front four were sub-par when it mattered. We’ve been inconsistent for two months, it’s not just the manager that failed.

We’re better suited to a rebuild in the Championship, it’ll be interesting to see what the 49ers approach is, what happens with the rats and where it leaves us re FFP.

Might be a long summer.
90 points isn't the amazing total it's made out to be.

The bench mark for promotion has always been 2 points per game.

90 points is about average for top 2.

So at best it's an average job he's done.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Orange Box wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:14 pm I wonder if DF fancies a return to being the Sporting Director? A man manager supreme, no question: no evidence of being a master football tactician though.
Learning from past mistakes doesn’t appear to be his forte.
Btw this is not a knee jerk reaction, and I’m not calling for his head - Leeds United is better as a club with him in it, I’m just not convinced his best position is on the touch line.

(repeated from the game thread)
Not sure he's a man manager supreme, he's criticized a few players during the season. I think he's a top coach though, the Les Cocker of a good partnership
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Should have done more in January when given the opportunity.

We fucked ourselves in the end.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:30 pm Not sure he's a man manager supreme, he's criticized a few players during the season. I think he's a top coach though, the Les Cocker of a good partnership
Les Cocker? Eastenders?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Overman wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:31 pm Should have done more in January when given the opportunity.

We fucked ourselves in the end.
Didn't use the loan market well enough, as Southampton and Ipswich did.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Well done to Southampton. They beat us three times and deserve to go up ahead of us.

Damned disappointing, though, the way the last month and a half went.

Damned disappointing the way James' shot hit the crossbar.

Damned disappointing all around.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:32 pm Les Cocker? Eastenders?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Rodon MOTM in his, likely, final game.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:18 pm Farke got us to 90 points.

Might be a long summer.
Well said and a voice of sanity.

I don't get the knocking of Farke. Rutter, Summerville and Gnonto failed when the pressure was on. Even against Norwich it took the free kick goal to give us lift off - prior to that Summerville had missed a good chance. Against Leicester and the forwards missed great chances, we then go a goal down and it takes a defender to get us level. Against Blackburn it was same story they didn't show up.

If your big players don't show up there is little that tactics matter. Give me Dan James over any of those mentioned any day of the week.

Hopefully this turns out for the best. Yes we will lose a few players, maybe more than few, but it doesn't have to be a disaster. I hope we keep Gray, out of the players that will get offers he is the one I really want to stay. Rutter could turn out to be anything, losing him could be like losing Cantona but equally I have seen no real progression from him this season after flattering early on. Summerville and Gnonto are matchwinners on their day but seem like flat track bullies. Lose them but keep James and I am happy, we then hopefully have some money to buy another winger. If we could get Jack Clarke I would be delighted.

Let's start at the back and if we lose Messlier well it is meh. Every year it is the same - talking baout potential and forgiving him mistakes. A steady keeper, Alex McCarthy is out of contract, and I feel we are improved in the short term certainly. Full back and who knows what will happen with Firpo. If he stays I am happy, if we get decent money I am happy. Byram is good as back-up would be first choice but for injuries so we need to buy. Wouldn't be averse to trying to get Conor Roberts who may well want to leave Burnley. Ampadu I would expect to stay, Struyjk should be back too. Maybe Cresswell steps up as it is unlikey Rodon returns but who knows maybe we can tempt him.

Midfield and hopefully Gray can go in there. We need goals and creativity there. I Gruev and Kamara stay then that's fine as one can play DM. Ideally a creative midfielder can be signed..

Up front and can we get the best out of Piroe or does Joseph get the chance to show what he can do? Maybe both of them start.

It doesn't need to be a disaster. Are Burnley, Luton and Sheff U as good as Leicester and Southampton? Is any promoted league 1 team as good as Ipswich? There seems nothing to fear so as long as we do okay with incoming signings to replace the leavers then we should be favourites to go up.
Last edited by weasel on Sun May 26, 2024 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Southampton marked Summerville and Georgie out of the game.

We focused down the middle and had the attack so narrow where it was so congested of course we struggle to create.

Even Sky comms said the same, we were narrow.

We also refuse to cross the ball and prefer pass pass pass across the box. Was only when James came on and we had a yolo we resorted to crosses into the box.

The difference in off the ball coaching was clear as it has been so often vs Southampton.

There players no where to be where to move, our passes are always to the players not where the players will be so it makes our build up even slower.

It's Marschesque on the ball in terms of passing moves, isn't any.
Last edited by Cjay on Sun May 26, 2024 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

Morpheus wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:05 pm Farke needs to go.

Yes, you heard it here first.
Not quite. Cjay has been saying this for months.