Ilia Gruev

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Ilia Gruev- We miss him

Post by Jaydog »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:58 pm Can't stay fit, never ever said Tyler should start though but he's got enough quality to be a good championship player.
I was just bantering.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Thought he was outstanding tonight
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Ilia Gruev

Post by Cjay »

Ilia Gruev vs. Norwich:
96% pass accuracy
83 mins played
61 touches
48/50 successful passes
5 passes into the final third
5 ball recoveries
4/4 accurate long passes
3 duels won
2/3 accurate crosses
1 chance created
1 shot on-target
1 tackle won
1 interception
1 goal
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Where did that goal come from :lol:
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Source: https://x.com/LUFC/status/1794116987456475475
In Farke we trust...
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

It's weird and wonderful how he was this mysterious afterthought throughout the early part of the season. Why did we buy him? Is he ever going to get any minutes? Does he actually know how to play?

Now I don't want to see a starting 11 without him in it. Go Gruffalo!
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

German media reporting interest in Gruev and bids have already been rejected.

Club reportedly demanding £10-15mil.

Borussia Dortmund interested.

But Werder Bremen have a sell on clause as well
Signed

King Cjay

lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

If we are looking to offload one of the two DMs, and we do need to make space for some creativity in there (be that Archie or A N Other), then I'd rather we got rid of Kamara, as Gruev is the more progressive of the two.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:44 am German media reporting interest in Gruev and bids have already been rejected.

Clearing out room for Kenny McLean?
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

lufc1304 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:17 am If we are looking to offload one of the two DMs, and we do need to make space for some creativity in there (be that Archie or A N Other), then I'd rather we got rid of Kamara, as Gruev is the more progressive of the two.
I would have Glen down as the more progressive 1304. A bit like Klich but he gets thru more defensive work. I think Amps goes back into the 6 next season. Gruev is effective but static at 6 but would be ideal slotting into a back 3 on turnover of possession. He's a useful player but i think Ethan is ahead of him personally. And lets be honest if it was Dortmund who came knocking its a no brainer.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Leeds1000 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:40 pm I would have Glen down as the more progressive 1304. A bit like Klich but he gets thru more defensive work. I think Amps goes back into the 6 next season. Gruev is effective but static at 6 but would be ideal slotting into a back 3 on turnover of possession. He's a useful player but i think Ethan is ahead of him personally. And lets be honest if it was Dortmund who came knocking its a no brainer.
I'll be honest, I've not seen a huge amount of games this season, but in those I have, I always thought Glen was very sideways or backwards, whereas Gruev was at least trying to be a little more progressive. Perhaps my sample size was too small? Agree re Amps, we lost something offensively when he went to CH (though he was generally excellent there). Ultimately, we need a Klich and a Pablo, and I'm not sure we have either at the club currently. I'll be disappointed if we start next season with the same two DMs, we need more creativity. And I wouldn't fault the lad if he fancied Dortmund, a bigger stage than we can offer.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

lufc1304 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:17 am If we are looking to offload one of the two DMs, and we do need to make space for some creativity in there (be that Archie or A N Other), then I'd rather we got rid of Kamara, as Gruev is the more progressive of the two.
The question over Gruev is more about what role Ampadu plays next season. If Ampadu is a center back, then Gruev is key as the DM. And in that case, I certainly wouldn't sell him.

However if Ampadu go goes back into midfield, I'm not sure the two of them play together. I'd much rather see one of them with Gray or a more attacking midfield partner.

I don't think Kamara was the player we needed last season. He was just the best available - hence why we waited so late to sign him after being touted for months.

I only see Kamara as a squad player next season. Like you, I'd prefer a more forward thinking number 8.

As for bids on Gruev, it depends on Ampadu. If Amps is a midfielder, I'd consider selling at the right price. If Amps is a defender, I'd be reluctant to sell Gruev at any price.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

JoeDenver wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:47 pm Clearing out room for Kenny McLean?
Would hope not.

Swapping a 24 year old Gruev for a 32/33 year old McClean would essentially be what Farke said he didn't want.

Said it in one of the interviews near end of the season.

Basically didn't want to sign older more experienced players because you'd need to replace them if promoted or words to that effect.

I would hope anyway Red Bull and the best scouting network in the world can do better than a 32 year old McLean?
Signed

King Cjay

Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

lufc1304 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:18 pm I'll be honest, I've not seen a huge amount of games this season, but in those I have, I always thought Glen was very sideways or backwards, whereas Gruev was at least trying to be a little more progressive. Perhaps my sample size was too small? Agree re Amps, we lost something offensively when he went to CH (though he was generally excellent there). Ultimately, we need a Klich and a Pablo, and I'm not sure we have either at the club currently. I'll be disappointed if we start next season with the same two DMs, we need more creativity. And I wouldn't fault the lad if he fancied Dortmund, a bigger stage than we can offer.
There is not much in it 1304. Kamara is given more freedom to move the ball forward in the 8 position and he does link play ok but he is not the goal scoring midfielder we need in there. Gruev is good at settling things down and playing the short pass, although for me he doesn't have the range of medium or long passing to really open things up, hence why we get the slow build. You will never see him charging forward with the ball at his feet either. They are both useful without being top notch in my view. They are not fit to lace Pablo's Boots.

If Dortmund come in for him it would be a dream come true for the lad. I would be surprised personally.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:33 pm Would hope not.

Swapping a 24 year old Gruev for a 32/33 year old McClean would essentially be what Farke said he didn't want.

Said it in one of the interviews near end of the season.

Basically didn't want to sign older more experienced players because you'd need to replace them if promoted or words to that effect.

I would hope anyway Red Bull and the best scouting network in the world can do better than a 32 year old McLean?
True, but Farke also mentioned wishing he had experienced players like Morsy in the side, so tough to gauge at the moment. Add to that the manager transition at Norwich and the rumored interest at the beginning of this past season, it seems plausible, no?

Agree that I’d like to see what this scouting network is able to unearth (although
Rasmus and Aaronson are two byproducts of that same scouting network so I’m not 100% convinced).
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:44 am German media reporting interest in Gruev and bids have already been rejected.

£15m would give us £9m profit on a midfielder that has scored one goal in 36 appearances & tends to pass the ball sideways & backwards rather than forward.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:44 pm £15m would give us £9m profit on a midfielder that has scored one goal in 36 appearances & tends to pass the ball sideways & backwards rather than forward.
He's very good at what he does (reflected in your poll).

And in the interest from higher level clubs.

If you get rid of a cm this year its Glen Forshaw.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

JoeDenver wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:42 pm True, but Farke also mentioned wishing he had experienced players like Morsy in the side, so tough to gauge at the moment. Add to that the manager transition at Norwich and the rumored interest at the beginning of this past season, it seems plausible, no?

Agree that I’d like to see what this scouting network is able to unearth (although
Rasmus and Aaronson are two byproducts of that same scouting network so I’m not 100% convinced).
Very true its hard to know what to think atm.

We did go for Mclean last summer apparently and Norwich rejected a £4mil bid.

He's just won Player of the year (fans I think) for Norwich so clearly decent at this level.

But do you spend probably £5,6,7mil on someone 33 in January only to maybe need to replace them in 12 months?

Or even be stuck with them as they reach 34,35,36 whilst you are still down here?

His contract at Norwich doesn't end till 2027 so you'd imagine he'd want atleast that here if not more.
Signed

King Cjay

Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

Would be a great bit of business if we could make a tidy profit on Gruev after less than 12 months.

Likeable player but for from irreplaceable.