Leeds United v Southampton - Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Re: Leeds United v Southampton - Match Thread

Post by Sean_Nile »

weasel wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:34 pm The Dark Lord. Odds were 5-1. I totalled up the amount that my systems were telling me to place on it and the amount came up to exactly £666.
The Dark Lord and £666 didn't you hear the universe speaking to you... you certainly missed a trick there, but that's what you get when you are in your PJ'S, drinking lager for breakfast, and more concerned about the HP sauce dripping onto your wrist from a bacon and egg butty.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Sean_Nile wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:01 am I'll see your hard luck story and raise you an apophenia and gambling.
Absolutely brilliant, I can't believe this, but that's the picture i have in my head of what i think you look like on your orange box speakers corner Hyde Park.

Now why the feck do i have that pic in my head ? Have you ever posted a photo of yourself here ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
ddapp
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ddapp »

Because I’m new to this whole Leeds United fandom, it’s basically been two years, I never thought I could get swept up in something so passionately. To put this in perspective I’m 55 years old. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania and I’m the biggest Pittsburgh Steelers and Pittsburgh Pirates fan you’ll ever find along with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Cheered them on during Super Bowls, World Series and Stanley Cups . I watched nervously as the United States hockey team beat Russia in 1980 in Lake Placid. I moved down south in 1989 and began covering and following Auburn University sports with a passion like I never thought I could find because it was the SEC. I’ve sat through iron bowls between Auburn and Alabama chewing my fingernails until the very last second ticked away. All that to say, I don’t think I’ve ever looked forward with such anticipation and nerve to what’s coming Sunday morning. We’re all Leeds aren’t we?
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:34 pm I remember a good few years ago putting £20k on a side to win at Basketball. It was in the NBA so proper teams, proper league etc and the team I bet on were at 1-20 (so my £20k to win £1k). With it being basketball I thought none of this sh*t like strikers having a mare, the opposition keeper performing heroics etc. Settled back to watch the game and it was neck and neck all the way. Finally in the 4th quarter my team started to pull clear, 'Thank f**k' I thought. Needless to say they the opposition then turned into prime Harlem Globetrotters and very nearly nicked the win. Sure it aged me 10 years that match.

Most 'interesting' bet I did was when I was working with my systems. Needless to say I had had a few bad days and was losing money hand over fist. It came down to what would have been my final bet as if I lost as I'd have ran out of money. The horse to bet on, which came up on the 3 or 4 systems I was using, was a horse called The Dark Lord. Odds were 5-1. I totalled up the amount that my systems were telling me to place on it and the amount came up to exactly £666. I didn't have enough to actually place the full bet so bet all I had left. Romped home.

The most fun bet I had was on a horse called Wicked Weasel. It had no form and hadn't run for over a year and it was racing at Bangor, something like 2m 4f and odds were 40-1. Put 50p on it and it romped home. That started my love of all things Weasely. That was in the days where I was a stranger to betting.
I'm sorry for your loss, but fck me, you've made me feel better :shock:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:34 pm I remember a good few years ago putting £20k on a side to win at Basketball. It was in the NBA so proper teams, proper league etc and the team I bet on were at 1-20 (so my £20k to win £1k). With it being basketball I thought none of this sh*t like strikers having a mare, the opposition keeper performing heroics etc. Settled back to watch the game and it was neck and neck all the way. Finally in the 4th quarter my team started to pull clear, 'Thank f**k' I thought. Needless to say they the opposition then turned into prime Harlem Globetrotters and very nearly nicked the win. Sure it aged me 10 years that match.

Most 'interesting' bet I did was when I was working with my systems. Needless to say I had had a few bad days and was losing money hand over fist. It came down to what would have been my final bet as if I lost as I'd have ran out of money. The horse to bet on, which came up on the 3 or 4 systems I was using, was a horse called The Dark Lord. Odds were 5-1. I totalled up the amount that my systems were telling me to place on it and the amount came up to exactly £666. I didn't have enough to actually place the full bet so bet all I had left. Romped home.

The most fun bet I had was on a horse called Wicked Weasel. It had no form and hadn't run for over a year and it was racing at Bangor, something like 2m 4f and odds were 40-1. Put 50p on it and it romped home. That started my love of all things Weasely. That was in the days where I was a stranger to betting.
20k to win 1k.
You are a high roller indeed.
If true that is. Mind you buying money is the quick way to the poor house and as you said at those odds very little enjoyment, just stress.
When Betfair started a mate of mine instantly spotted the arbing opportunity. So he was regularly backing & laying the same selection to make guaranteed small profits. He made a 6 figure sum before everyone caught on. Virtually non existent now.
For me my high point is (not in your league) backing Y E Yang to win the USPGA at about 300/1 on Betfair.
Cleared about 6k after a fair bit of last round hedging.
Most people had never heard of him tbh.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

2 more bets i had close calls on and him upstairs poked his nose in again when i got all excited and started thinking i'd won.

I used to put a £1 placepot on all the meetings on a Saturday, now i'm going back to 1987 when i bought my first house, was on low wages and interest rates went to 14%, i'll never know to this day how we got thru our first 5 years of a mortgage, boy was it hard.

Anyhoos, i used to check them the next day after Sunday dinner at my ex's mams house.
I'm going thru Ripon (i think it was) 1st-2nd-2nd-1st-3rd...i thought feckin hell ! 'how much is this thing ??? £2,880.

I decide to pick the Saturday paper up and look again at what i picked and it's chances before i reveal the result, i think the horse was summert like Peyton Place, anyway it's favourite 5/1....I look at the ba***rd result - it's nowhere, but it turned out there were 3 co favourites and the other 2 were first and second and mine nowhere.

Another close call at the same time, about 1987 - I used to pick 5 aways, 1 from each section with Ladbrokes, where they get tougher and tougher games to split with section 1 like Liverpool v Luton and the last Citeh v Arsenal etc but spread over all the Divisions and Scottish.

I used to check upwards to see if my toughest won first, they did, then the next, and the next and the next....I've got Raith Rovers v Rangers to go in the easiest section and i'm off to Spain in my head, enter God - Raith 1-1 Rangers

And a yell of 'YOU FCKING BASTARDS!!!' Which quite upset the mother. That was for about £1 v 500/1

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:22 pm 20k to win 1k.
If true that is. Mind you buying money is the quick way to the poor house and as you said at those odds very little enjoyment, just stress.
When Betfair started a mate of mine instantly spotted the arbing opportunity. So he was regularly backing & laying the same selection to make guaranteed small profits. He made a 6 figure sum before everyone caught on. Virtually non existent now.
For me my high point is (not in your league) backing Y E Yang to win the USPGA at about 300/1 on Betfair.
Cleared about 6k after a fair bit of last round hedging.
Most people had never heard of him tbh.
Didn't usually bet that high but I'd opened an account with an Australian bookie who did a really good bonus. The only trouble was to get the bonus you had to wager through a lot of money. I'd done a few bets and had a few wins and they had then slashed the amount that they would let me bet. So the money was basically stuck in there as if you withdrew before you wagered through the amount you needed to wager they would take away any winnings done with the 'bonus' money. I think there was also a time limit as to how long you had to complete the wagering amount. As such I stood to lose a lot of money so was having to find huge odds on bets. I did a big one on a horse too that was something like 1-6. I was actually arbing most of the bets but with this one I took a flier as the odds on betfair I needed was 1.04 and the odds at the time I bet were 1.05 and I thought I would get the lay but it didn't until that point in the 4th quarter. I then actually wanted them to lose, after I'd got the lay, so I could get the money out of the bookies.

Similar to your mate I did a lot of arbing and was making a very good living out of it for a while (after I ditched my systems). Like you say it is just too hard to make enough now from it as bookies cotton on quickly and shut the accounts ot slash the amount they let you bet.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:42 pm 2 more bets i had close calls on and him upstairs poked his nose in again when i got all excited and started thinking i'd won.

I used to put a £1 placepot on all the meetings on a Saturday, now i'm going back to 1987 when i bought my first house, was on low wages and interest rates went to 14%, i'll never know to this day how we got thru our first 5 years of a mortgage, boy was it hard.

Anyhoos, i used to check them the next day after Sunday dinner at my ex's mams house.
I'm going thru Ripon (i think it was) 1st-2nd-2nd-1st-3rd...i thought feckin hell ! 'how much is this thing ??? £2,880.

I decide to pick the Saturday paper up and look again at what i picked and it's chances before i reveal the result, i think the horse was summert like Peyton Place, anyway it's favourite 5/1....I look at the ba***rd result - it's nowhere, but it turned out there were 3 co favourites and the other 2 were first and second and mine nowhere.

Another close call at the same time, about 1987 - I used to pick 5 aways, 1 from each section with Ladbrokes, where they get tougher and tougher games to split with section 1 like Liverpool v Luton and the last Citeh v Arsenal etc but spread over all the Divisions and Scottish.

I used to check upwards to see if my toughest won first, they did, then the next, and the next and the next....I've got Raith Rovers v Rangers to go in the easiest section and i'm off to Spain in my head, enter God - Raith 1-1 Rangers

And a yell of 'YOU FCKING BASTARDS!!!' Which quite upset the mother. That was for about £1 v 500/1
Yup god loves to s**t on us. Deffo took it as a sign when I got the win with The Dark Lord with the £666 bet. Think that was either 2009 or 2010 and carried on betting as a career for another 10 years or so whereas if it had lost that would have been it for me and betting.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:22 pm
No more high rolling days for me. Gone are the days where could be a few k up or down or the Sunday afternoon where over a couple of hours I earnt more per minute than Wayne Rooney did after he'd signed his £300k per week deal at MU.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:11 pm Didn't usually bet that high but I'd opened an account with an Australian bookie who did a really good bonus. The only trouble was to get the bonus you had to wager through a lot of money. I'd done a few bets and had a few wins and they had then slashed the amount that they would let me bet. So the money was basically stuck in there as if you withdrew before you wagered through the amount you needed to wager they would take away any winnings done with the 'bonus' money. I think there was also a time limit as to how long you had to complete the wagering amount. As such I stood to lose a lot of money so was having to find huge odds on bets. I did a big one on a horse too that was something like 1-6. I was actually arbing most of the bets but with this one I took a flier as the odds on betfair I needed was 1.04 and the odds at the time I bet were 1.05 and I thought I would get the lay but it didn't until that point in the 4th quarter. I then actually wanted them to lose, after I'd got the lay, so I could get the money out of the bookies.

Similar to your mate I did a lot of arbing and was making a very good living out of it for a while (after I ditched my systems). Like you say it is just too hard to make enough now from it as bookies cotton on quickly and shut the accounts ot slash the amount they let you bet.
I imagine there are very few arbing opportunities now. Not like there was back in the day anyway.
That mate of mine is a university professor of maths.
An expert on probability.
I know he said he was using bots to track possible arbs and regularly bet 4 & 5 figures to secure maybe only £400-£500 but that was guaranteed and he was doing it dozens of times a week.
I didn’t really catch on tbh but Betfair has been brilliant for laying off big odds golf bets for me like the Yang bet.
I never had you down as a punter tbh 😁
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

I wonder if Ricky Sumack has more important things to do than be at Wembley on Sunday now the massive gimp has called a general election 🙄
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Nice gesture by the club...

Source: https://x.com/LUFC/status/1793650595724976520
In Farke we trust...
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

The countdown continues...can't decide if it's like a kid waiting for Christmas morning or an adult waiting for a root canal :lol:

Source: https://x.com/SkyBet/status/1793582724382671097
In Farke we trust...
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:38 pm I imagine there are very few arbing opportunities now. Not like there was back in the day anyway.
That mate of mine is a university professor of maths.
An expert on probability.
I know he said he was using bots to track possible arbs and regularly bet 4 & 5 figures to secure maybe only £400-£500 but that was guaranteed and he was doing it dozens of times a week.
I didn’t really catch on tbh but Betfair has been brilliant for laying off big odds golf bets for me like the Yang bet.
I never had you down as a punter tbh 😁
Yeah the arbing was great espcially at times where you'd get the bet matched and then it would drift and win and the bookies paid out at best price guaranteed odds. I was earning about £5k per month when I really got good at it. Trouble was I then noticed that a lot of the bets that I was matching were winning so I cut out the laying part. Suddenly was earning £30k per month. Had 3 months like that so upped the stakes. Was doing lots of horse bets to win £3k and upwards, per bet, so you can imagine that the stakes were getting hefty. Had days of losing £8k and it was nothing. Then had a month of losing over £100k. Although it was losing money it was thankfully just a case of losing from the money I'd earnt rather than going into debt. Kept doing it for a few years afterwards but never really hit the same heights, or lows. Was a case of earning money but earning less and less so got to the point where I couldn't keep doing it as a job as I was spending more (on general living) than I was earning. It was also a weird existence cos of having to mask emotions as it was a real rollercoaster from day to day could be down thousands or up thousands. Then when living in Spain it was intensified cos there was no other income and it was always a case of a really bad run could wipe out everything I had left and that run could be just a few days. Easy to say bet less, keep a reserve that you don't touch etc but then if betting less then less money to make so would run out of money sooner.

I still bet now, following my own system rather than just betting. Still hoping to crack something and make fortune!

Strangely despite having likely bet several millions of pounds I have very rarely had bets where they haven't been for work. If I do a bet that is just a bet I doubt I have even bet more than a couple of pounds on anything.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:01 pm Yeah the arbing was great espcially at times where you'd get the bet matched and then it would drift and win and the bookies paid out at best price guaranteed odds. I was earning about £5k per month when I really got good at it. Trouble was I then noticed that a lot of the bets that I was matching were winning so I cut out the laying part. Suddenly was earning £30k per month. Had 3 months like that so upped the stakes. Was doing lots of horse bets to win £3k and upwards, per bet, so you can imagine that the stakes were getting hefty. Had days of losing £8k and it was nothing. Then had a month of losing over £100k. Although it was losing money it was thankfully just a case of losing from the money I'd earnt rather than going into debt. Kept doing it for a few years afterwards but never really hit the same heights, or lows. Was a case of earning money but earning less and less so got to the point where I couldn't keep doing it as a job as I was spending more (on general living) than I was earning. It was also a weird existence cos of having to mask emotions as it was a real rollercoaster from day to day could be down thousands or up thousands. Then when living in Spain it was intensified cos there was no other income and it was always a case of a really bad run could wipe out everything I had left and that run could be just a few days. Easy to say bet less, keep a reserve that you don't touch etc but then if betting less then less money to make so would run out of money sooner.

I still bet now, following my own system rather than just betting. Still hoping to crack something and make fortune!

Strangely despite having likely bet several millions of pounds I have very rarely had bets where they haven't been for work. If I do a bet that is just a bet I doubt I have even bet more than a couple of pounds on anything.
Dark horse Weasel.

You have to spot something no one else does.
Like the “hole in 1 gang” for instance.
Getting up to 100/1 on a 2/1 shot. They did their homework and realised the bookies were totally underestimating the chances of a hole in 1 in a pro tournament. They just looked at historical records.
But these days the bookies are so clued up I’d say chances are limited but let me know when you crack it!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:24 pm Dark horse Weasel.

You have to spot something no one else does.
Like the “hole in 1 gang” for instance.
Getting up to 100/1 on a 2/1 shot. They did their homework and realised the bookies were totally underestimating the chances of a hole in 1 in a pro tournament. They just looked at historical records.
But these days the bookies are so clued up I’d say chances are limited but let me know when you crack it!
Yeah every time I think I am getting ahead the results suddenly seem to swing a different way. Gone are the days when I had a guy from betfair personally looking after my account, giving me a lower rate of commision and offering me free tickets to Cheltenham (ruddy annoying I couldn't go as it clashed with a holiday in Rome and to this day I have yet to actually attend a horse race). I have a signed photo of Kauto Star that they sent me as I was in the top few people in terms of amount wagered (think I was 3rd but then had a few days off so slipped down thelist a bit). Was like it was monopoly money though was just numbers on the computer screen - biggest regret is that I didn't really at any point live the high life or live in the moment. Was just making plans and then the money dwindled!!!

In fact the ex enjoyed it more than me. She gave up working and had a couple of horses. Jeez was paying stable fees which were around £2k per month and then took the stupid f*ckers with us to Spain too.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:51 pm Yeah every time I think I am getting ahead the results suddenly seem to swing a different way. Gone are the days when I had a guy from betfair personally looking after my account, giving me a lower rate of commision and offering me free tickets to Cheltenham (ruddy annoying I couldn't go as it clashed with a holiday in Rome and to this day I have yet to actually attend a horse race). I have a signed photo of Kauto Star that they sent me as I was in the top few people in terms of amount wagered (think I was 3rd but then had a few days off so slipped down thelist a bit). Was like it was monopoly money though was just numbers on the computer screen - biggest regret is that I didn't really at any point live the high life or live in the moment. Was just making plans and then the money dwindled!!!

In fact the ex enjoyed it more than me. She gave up working and had a couple of horses. Jeez was paying stable fees which were around £2k per month and then took the stupid f*ckers with us to Spain too.
Too many people at Chelters now. I couldn’t cope with it unless I was in a private box.

Never been racing.
You’re up north aren’t you?
Get to York or Chester. Great courses.

I can only quote the famous saying “how do you make a small fortune out of horse ownership. Start with a large one”.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:16 pm Now why the feck do i have that pic in my head ? Have you ever posted a photo of yourself here ?
A long time ago in another incarnation. I used to post infuriating ukulele videos
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

ddapp wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:20 pm Because I’m new to this whole Leeds United fandom, it’s basically been two years, I never thought I could get swept up in something so passionately. To put this in perspective I’m 55 years old. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania and I’m the biggest Pittsburgh Steelers and Pittsburgh Pirates fan you’ll ever find along with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Cheered them on during Super Bowls, World Series and Stanley Cups . I watched nervously as the United States hockey team beat Russia in 1980 in Lake Placid. I moved down south in 1989 and began covering and following Auburn University sports with a passion like I never thought I could find because it was the SEC. I’ve sat through iron bowls between Auburn and Alabama chewing my fingernails until the very last second ticked away. All that to say, I don’t think I’ve ever looked forward with such anticipation and nerve to what’s coming Sunday morning. We’re all Leeds aren’t we?
Best advice i can offer you ddapp - Feckin get out while you still can, but it may already be too late.

Other than that, welcome to the rest of your life in the trials, tribulations, false hopes, expectations, let downs, sheer feckin heartache, mental anguish, suicidal tendencies etc etc etc of a LUFC fan and supporter.

On the + side, always remember, there's a fckin mad group of us in your hour of need, but some, might be that little push you need to tilt you off the edge.

I'm 60yo this time, first found LUFC aged 5, and in those 55 years i've had about 5 happy ones old enough to remember, gone thru umpteen relations, and could've done time for murder.

Btw, i can't wait for Sunday and my annual ritual of self flagellation :tup:

On the morning of Sunday, you may well find me in church.
Sunday evening, the morgue.

;@)
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Sean_Nile wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:35 pm Reasons to be cheerful

Southampton pair Che Adams and Ross Stewart were absent from the club's training video ahead of this weekend's play-off final against Leeds United.

Both forwards have experienced varying degrees of injury problems lately with Adams picking up an issue in the 2-1 win over Leeds at Elland Road at the start of this month, while Scotland international Stewart has missed the majority of this season.
Before our last game of the season against Southampton I said I would be amazed if Martin risked Adam Armstrong and Adams in a nothing game for them.
Boy has that decision bitten him on the arse.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden