Premier League Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Premier League Thread - Poch leaves Chelsea

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:20 am You make a fair argument.

My stance is that he'll do better with a better team and a better board. I'm confident in Farke and the 49ers taking us to 15th or better.

I think he's good enough for the PL. But he's going to have to get there by promotion. He won't get hired directly given his record. Let's hope he improves his CV with us.
For our sake hopefully he gets a chance.

Much of it will depend on him imo, in public he can defend himself and his record just aslong as in private he has enough self awareness to know he was at fault and learn and adapt.

One things for sure we will be his last chance.

If DF flops with us thats probably him as the German Warnock for the rest of his career.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

So Kompany to Bayern

And maybe Maresca to Chelsea.
Signed

King Cjay

Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Premier League Thread - CITEH confirmed as CHAMPIONS

Post by Leeds1000 »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:18 am Total agreement with you here Andrew, my instant thought was Scum have tempted him with a huge offer, but if he has been pushed this is another case of the owner is nuts (i hope this is the case) and another example of 'they haven't a feckin clue'

Yes it took him a while, but he was nearly there at the tail-end of the season, how the hell you can just throw a bag of licorice allsorts at a guy and expect it to just work pretty much instantly is beyond me, I hope this Todd keeps on shooting himself in both feet every single year, coz it makes me laugh my titz off.

I still think he could be off to scum btw.
That rumour is doing the rounds at work today. According to Alex Crook on TS... a difference in opinion about transfers is the main driver.

On the subject its Old news but Chelski selling Two hotels to a PARENT company gets them out of the PSR fiasco. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

tempFileForShare_20240522-171923.jpg
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Premier League Thread - CITEH confirmed as CHAMPIONS

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Leeds1000 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:41 pm That rumour is doing the rounds at work today. According to Alex Crook on TS... a difference in opinion about transfers is the main driver.

On the subject its Old news but Chelski selling Two hotels to a PARENT company gets them out of the PSR fiasco. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Outgoings I bet? Talk of Connor Gallagher being sold because he's all profit for FFP. And as we saw, Poch likes to play him in favour of one of his 100 million midfielders. He seemed to favour the English kids - Gallagher, Madueke, Palmer. He's probably being told he'll lose the players he likes.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

mentalcase wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:21 pm tempFileForShare_20240522-171923.jpg
Love it
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:22 am ! :clap: :clap:

Bloody hell, i'll get on Booking.com now.
You paying the airfare too? Or planning a trip to California?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:21 pm tempFileForShare_20240522-171923.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

So looks like this is really going to happen

Recently relegated Vincent Kompany Bayern Munich manager.
Signed

King Cjay

Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Cjay wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:39 pm
So looks like this is really going to happen

Recently relegated Vincent Kompany Bayern Munich manager.
Didn’t take him long to get a top job.

Interesting to see how he gets on.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Barlow Boy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:52 pm Didn’t take him long to get a top job.

Interesting to see how he gets on.
Did they fire Tuchel? Never heard anything about it.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:20 pm Did they fire Tuchel? Never heard anything about it.
One of these mutual consent jobs from memory.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:52 pm Love it
Well if they're stupid enough to put Kalvin on the ballot
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:18 pm He's a great unknown and will be careful what I say as I'll just get accused of Farke bashing again.

But I didn't bring him up.

Probably more a conversation for if we are promoted rather than now.

End of the day though no manager breaks records like Farke did in the Premier League if they aren't massively at fault.

He is the answer to the pub question "which manager has the most losses in a row in Premier League history". Farke is the answer at 16, only 1 other manager even made double figures.

He also has the lowest points per game in Premier League history of managers with 25+ games.

No amount of excuses can excuse breaking both those records and I'd imagine many on that list can complain about not being backed how they'd like.

Totally at fault? Absolutely not, but far far from blameless and not to mention he failed his 2nd chance in a top league at Mönchengladbach as well.

Can only hope he isn't so arrogant as Jesse Marsch seems to be and has learned a lot of lessons from what he did wrong.

If he has then hopefully if promoted we can progress together.

If he hasn't he won't last long should we be promoted next season.
The trouble, as per usual, is that stats can be entirely misleading. If we take the first one and him being the only managert with 16 losses in a row then it actually says something about the Norwich board's confidence in him that he was allowed to continue. Most managers would have been sacked well before reaching double figures which is why no one else has the record. Because they allowed him to carry on so long it meant he gets the record whereas if they'd have sacked him after say 8 defeats he wouldn't have got the record. It is like Marsch being able to trot stuff out about how he would have kept us up if he'd not been sacked whereas if we'd kept him longer it is more likely he'd have been terrible and we would have done even worse.

The 16 losses also spanned two seasons, so there was the terrible end of season when he got relegated with 10 successive losses and then 6 at the start of the 2021-22 season. A lot of managers would have been sacked during the 2019-2020 season and replaced by the Sam Allardyce type figure so they would have been denied a chance to break the record. Or they would have been sacked the following season after failing to get the team into promotion contention. The fact that Farke got them promoted as champions stopped him getting sacked and meant he could set the record, In the 6 games they did also play Arsenal, City and LIverpool. They then got 2 draws and a win in their next 5 matches which would suggest they were beginning to improve, Farke was actually sacked after the win. Later on that season they had two 5 match losing sequences and a 6 match losing sequence so it was hardly like the new manager did much better. Simply a case of a very bad team where the owenrs sold Buendia at the start of the season and didn't strengthen particularly.

Sunderland hold the record of premier league losses in a row with 20 but of course didn't have the same manager for all 20 matches.

The second point, lowest points total, again stems form the fact that he wasn't sacked. So many managers would have been sacked before the 25 game mark, again selective stats used, whereas Norwich in backing him make his record worse as he was able to go past the famous 25 match mark. By using selective stats a manager could lose 24 out of 24 matches but be seen as a better manager simply because he failed to manage in 25 matches.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:40 am The trouble, as per usual, is that stats can be entirely misleading. If we take the first one and him being the only managert with 16 losses in a row then it actually says something about the Norwich board's confidence in him that he was allowed to continue. Most managers would have been sacked well before reaching double figures which is why no one else has the record. Because they allowed him to carry on so long it meant he gets the record whereas if they'd have sacked him after say 8 defeats he wouldn't have got the record. It is like Marsch being able to trot stuff out about how he would have kept us up if he'd not been sacked whereas if we'd kept him longer it is more likely he'd have been terrible and we would have done even worse.

The 16 losses also spanned two seasons, so there was the terrible end of season when he got relegated with 10 successive losses and then 6 at the start of the 2021-22 season. A lot of managers would have been sacked during the 2019-2020 season and replaced by the Sam Allardyce type figure so they would have been denied a chance to break the record. Or they would have been sacked the following season after failing to get the team into promotion contention. The fact that Farke got them promoted as champions stopped him getting sacked and meant he could set the record, In the 6 games they did also play Arsenal, City and LIverpool. They then got 2 draws and a win in their next 5 matches which would suggest they were beginning to improve, Farke was actually sacked after the win. Later on that season they had two 5 match losing sequences and a 6 match losing sequence so it was hardly like the new manager did much better. Simply a case of a very bad team where the owenrs sold Buendia at the start of the season and didn't strengthen particularly.

Sunderland hold the record of premier league losses in a row with 20 but of course didn't have the same manager for all 20 matches.

The second point, lowest points total, again stems form the fact that he wasn't sacked. So many managers would have been sacked before the 25 game mark, again selective stats used, whereas Norwich in backing him make his record worse as he was able to go past the famous 25 match mark. By using selective stats a manager could lose 24 out of 24 matches but be seen as a better manager simply because he failed to manage in 25 matches.
Sorry but no excuse for being that crap for an extended period of time. Was lucky to not be sacked 1st season got them back up (fair enough) then having been given money to spend and by his own admission approved every transfer he wasted the Buendia money on absolute dross then was worse second season.

Even if he was sacked end of the 1st season he'd still have been 2nd in the all time most losses in a row and one of only 2 managers with double figures.

He's bottom 5 for permanent managers in Premier League history if thats better? 6th highest loss percentage in Premier League history.

For what it's worth Dean Smith still had a better record with Farke's squad in his 2nd season and his 1st. Still awful but better. Eventually can't we just agree on he was absolutely shite in the Premier League? :lol: I thought that was the one thing people had accepted.

He's been shown to be massively out of his depth in the Premier League and needs to prove he has improved significantly as a manager if we are promoted.

Hence why he's never been linked to any Premier league jobs since his 1st relegation at Norwich.

He has a lot to prove and I'd imagine he is approaching last chance saloon for top level jobs.

For our sake hopefully he's learned a lot.
Signed

King Cjay

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

tempFileForShare_20240523-143243.jpg
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

tempFileForShare_20240523-143312.jpg
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Who's up for a ' The heaviest FA Cup final defeat in history !' in the Sunday paper headlines ?

Up goes my hand.

What is it btw, the record defeat ?
I want Citeh 7-0 Scum
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Isn’t it a little sad if McKenna is jumping ship already.
Is this modern football where the next talented young manager just goes to a big club without even managing a game with the newly promoted club.
And Chelsea. Good look if you go there.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Jaydog wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:57 pm Isn’t it a little sad if McKenna is jumping ship already.
Is this modern football where the next talented young manager just goes to a big club without even managing a game with the newly promoted club.
And Chelsea. Good look if you go there.
I agree.

Can understand Kompany leaving Burnley for Bayern, after a relegation he probably can't believe his luck

I don't see what Maresca has done to interest anyone? Sacked after 12 games I think with Parma, 1 season with the biggest budget in the league to get 97 points, not a record breaking total.

Atleast Mckenna has done something truly impressive but he's still really young, he could survive a relegation with Ipswich provided he isn't awful and still get a Premier League job.
Signed

King Cjay