Leeds United v Southampton - Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Southampton - Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

JoeDenver wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:31 am @mods, shouldn’t this thread not be opened for commentary until match day? Thus, this content would belong in the pre-match thread? Not trying to start any controversy…but have been going back and forth between the two threads and just had this realization.
I've merged the threads for now, Joe.
Tom the Cat
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: Leeds United v Southampton - Match Thread

Post by Tom the Cat »

For goodness sake lads have some faith - if DF picks the same team as started against Norwich we will walk it. Let Southampton worry about us not us about them.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:58 am I've merged the threads for now, Joe.
You know it makes sense Sidney.
:tup:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:13 pm Sorry, couldn’t back either of them. Backing Southampton would feel like treason and backing Leeds is potentially compounding a misery. Will stick to first goal scorer/ correct score in the Scum v Scum game on Saturday
Believe me i find it hard to back against any team i support, that's how much i hope i'm throwing £50 away.

If i stuck £50 on Leeds and they lost (which they would) i'd be blaming mesen for weeks.

I was not even gonna bother, but i'm well happy to see me lose, and that's straight from the heart.

There are people paying hundreds and thousands to support us, travel, accommodation etc and for me to hopefully lose 50 squid means feck all compared to the happiness they'll all get if we win.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Johnthewhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Johnthewhite »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:23 am Believe me i find it hard to back against any team i support, that's how much i hope i'm throwing £50 away.

If i stuck £50 on Leeds and they lost (which they would) i'd be blaming mesen for weeks.

I was not even gonna bother, but i'm well happy to see me lose, and that's straight from the heart.

There are people paying hundreds and thousands to support us, travel, accommodation etc and for me to hopefully lose 50 squid means feck all compared to the happiness they'll all get if we win.
Like your thinking, good effort, we all show our support in different ways 😂
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Tom the Cat wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:25 am For goodness sake lads have some faith - if DF picks the same team as started against Norwich we will walk it. Let Southampton worry about us not us about them.
Now going off way too many past experiences to count.....If i had this enthusiasm, optimism, fantastic faith, him upstairs would set abart bringing me crashing right back down with a feckin hefty bump on my arse.

My cast iron hefty 'can't feckin lose' bets, ALWAYS lose.

But i'm not even getting too carried away now, coz i think this game is in the balance.

I don't feel my Soton bet is a winner, and that's not good, believe me.

If both teams turn up on the day - It's a humdinger.
The one on an off day will lose.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I'll tell thee all a little story about my biggest "it can't feckin lose!!, it's won !, money in the bank !!!" thought when him upstairs said..

"Oh yeah, here have a bit of that"

I had £100 on a horse that sprinted clear with 100m to go, i had already spent the winnings in my head, just before (and i mean just before) the finish line, the horse buckled and unseated the jockey, i think it tried to jump a shadow across the course (that obviously him upstairs had sent)

10 feckin yds ! to go in a 7 furlong flat race and my feckin horse unseats rider, the feckin jockey fell off !

Now that's my worst ever case of 'counting my chickens before they've hatched'

But believe me, there's been a lot.

;@)
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

3 more sleeps
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Barlow Boy wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:56 am 3 more sleeps
Have you got some advice BB....How you actually getting to sleep ?

I got up to 2,789,379 sheep tother neet, read 2 books and still ended up putting a film on ?

;@)
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:29 am Have you got some advice BB....How you actually getting to sleep ?

I got up to 2,789,379 sheep tother neet, read 2 books and still ended up putting a film on ?
Yes, Lavender pillow spray.

Used it for a while now, really good stuff 👍
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

Barlow Boy wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:32 am Yes, Lavender pillow spray.

Used it for a while now, really good stuff 👍
I find 5 or 6 pints helps :roflmao:
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

whiteinfrance wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:50 am I find 5 or 6 pints helps :roflmao:
So do I, but that means 2 or 3 toilet visits during the night 🙄🙄🙄
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:40 am I'll tell thee all a little story about my biggest "it can't feckin lose!!, it's won !, money in the bank !!!" thought when him upstairs said..

I'll see your hard luck story and raise you an apophenia and gambling.
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

To BB

So do I but it doesn't matter because I forget I've been up

Happy prostate club! :)
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

1964white wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:58 am I've merged the threads for now, Joe.
Gentleman and a scholar you are :)

Hope that was t too much trouble. A big thank you!
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:05 am Same here, now this is where it gets foolish and here's my 2 penneth.

I'm all for 'pre match chat' and then that rolling into the match thread on match day (common sense)
And then i'm all for that closing, and a 'post match ' chat opening.

Here's why from a personal point of view.

The last time i missed a game (can't remember which) I decided to read thru the match thread without knowing the score.
I got to about page 21 and was getting pissed off and couldn't wait to get thru it, I thought 'oh ffs, this'll take an age there's probably 40 pages to get thru and i wanna nip out' So i looked at how many pages there was to go, it was 25 total iirc, I thought 'oh that's handy, the 'post match chat' will have started then, so i'll finish these 25 off, and i'll know exactly where to come back to.

Now i know that's not hard to just finish off at page 25 if it did go to page 40, but the relief was palpable coz of the shite i was reading.

It also felt in a way, very definite that that's the end of the game, and it was good to go away, and then come back to page 1 of 'post match chat and there was just a few pages to catch up on.

This is where i think people like BB are coming from when they come in from a game, to me it just feels so definite the game has ended, and is better for it.

But this 'pre match chat' and 'match thread' is feckin dumb.
Thanks for chiming in, Kenny! Looks like we got our wish.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
1964white

Post by 1964white »

JoeDenver wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:10 pm Gentleman and a scholar you are :)

Hope that was t too much trouble. A big thank you!
I've done the same previously, but there was a reason why I deliberated this time.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Reasons to be cheerful

Southampton pair Che Adams and Ross Stewart were absent from the club's training video ahead of this weekend's play-off final against Leeds United.

Both forwards have experienced varying degrees of injury problems lately with Adams picking up an issue in the 2-1 win over Leeds at Elland Road at the start of this month, while Scotland international Stewart has missed the majority of this season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sean_Nile wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:35 pm Reasons to be cheerful

Southampton pair Che Adams and Ross Stewart were absent from the club's training video ahead of this weekend's play-off final against Leeds United.

Both forwards have experienced varying degrees of injury problems lately with Adams picking up an issue in the 2-1 win over Leeds at Elland Road at the start of this month, while Scotland international Stewart has missed the majority of this season.
Stuart Armstrong, unavailable too!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:40 am I'll tell thee all a little story about my biggest "it can't feckin lose!!, it's won !, money in the bank !!!" thought when him upstairs said..

I had £100 on a horse that sprinted clear with 100m to go, i had already spent the winnings in my head, just before (and i mean just before) the finish line, the horse buckled and unseated the jockey, i think it tried to jump a shadow across the course (that obviously him upstairs had sent)

10 feckin yds ! to go in a 7 furlong flat race and my feckin horse unseats rider, the feckin jockey fell off !

Now that's my worst ever case of 'counting my chickens before they've hatched'

But believe me, there's been a lot.
I remember a good few years ago putting £20k on a side to win at Basketball. It was in the NBA so proper teams, proper league etc and the team I bet on were at 1-20 (so my £20k to win £1k). With it being basketball I thought none of this sh*t like strikers having a mare, the opposition keeper performing heroics etc. Settled back to watch the game and it was neck and neck all the way. Finally in the 4th quarter my team started to pull clear, 'Thank f**k' I thought. Needless to say they the opposition then turned into prime Harlem Globetrotters and very nearly nicked the win. Sure it aged me 10 years that match.

Most 'interesting' bet I did was when I was working with my systems. Needless to say I had had a few bad days and was losing money hand over fist. It came down to what would have been my final bet as if I lost as I'd have ran out of money. The horse to bet on, which came up on the 3 or 4 systems I was using, was a horse called The Dark Lord. Odds were 5-1. I totalled up the amount that my systems were telling me to place on it and the amount came up to exactly £666. I didn't have enough to actually place the full bet so bet all I had left. Romped home.

The most fun bet I had was on a horse called Wicked Weasel. It had no form and hadn't run for over a year and it was racing at Bangor, something like 2m 4f and odds were 40-1. Put 50p on it and it romped home. That started my love of all things Weasely. That was in the days where I was a stranger to betting.