Leeds United v Southampton - Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Re: Play Off Final - Leeds Utd v Southampton

Post by Sean_Nile »

Jaydog wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:41 pm I’d do a bet builder.
Both teams to score.
Smallbone to score anytime.
Leeds to win on penalties.
60/1
How can you be so flippant, just going on facts and figures... a proper Leeds fan would be looking for signs and portents.

The stars in the paper, you cloth-eared heap of anteater's catarrh, the zodiacal signs, the horoscopic fates, the astrological portents, the omens, the genethliac prognostications, the mantalogical harbingers, the vaticinal utterances, the fatidical premonitory uttering of the mantalogical omens.

What do the bleeding stars in the paper predict, forecast, prophesy, foretell, prognosticate... what do the horrorscopes say?
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:11 pm If i put money on anything as close as this and especially Leeds/England owt like that Aussies/England cricket where i'm desperate for us to win, it's a cast iron loser usually guaranteed for me, I remember thinking there'd be goals galore when we played Leicester, and was thinking i was printing money going over 2 or 2.5 goal line, we won 1-0 :lol: ....I'm not sure but i either had £100 or £200 on it :roll: DOH!
It is a no lose situation, it’s just that bringing yourself to back an opposing team which is obviously not good.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Southampton - Match Thread

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Sorry, couldn’t back either of them. Backing Southampton would feel like treason and backing Leeds is potentially compounding a misery. Will stick to first goal scorer/ correct score in the Scum v Scum game on Saturday
Keeping The Faith
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Southampton pre match chat

Post by Leeds1000 »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:40 pm That's a tough call--I can see where you're coming from, Leeds1000. TBF the young guns have been much, much better this season at tracking back and in a lot of cases bossing their defensive duties. But under the proverbial bright lights of Wembley can they maintain the discipline?
They have massively improved that side of their game this season Ash. Jimmy in particular. :tup:
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Sean_Nile wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:55 pm How can you be so flippant, just going on facts and figures... a proper Leeds fan would be looking for signs and portents.

The stars in the paper, you cloth-eared heap of anteater's catarrh, the zodiacal signs, the horoscopic fates, the astrological portents, the omens, the genethliac prognostications, the mantalogical harbingers, the vaticinal utterances, the fatidical premonitory uttering of the mantalogical omens.

What do the bleeding stars in the paper predict, forecast, prophesy, foretell, prognosticate... what do the horrorscopes say?
I’ve just seen a sign. Or signs.
A man on the corner with his c**k out. A Small boner you could say.
A small bone dug up in the garden.
And Smallbone rang me up last night and said “I’m banging one in Dog”.
I think that’s what he said anyway.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Tyzy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:12 am Will the game have VAR ?
Yes, Tyzy.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Jaydog wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:27 pm I’ve just seen a sign. Or signs.
A man on the corner with his c**k out. A Small boner you could say.
A small bone dug up in the garden.
And Smallbone rang me up last night and said “I’m banging one in Dog”.
I think that’s what he said anyway.
Yes I think Daniel Farke was giving some coded message in his last interview when he said the boys should keep it tight at the back so the opposition don't get any balls in.
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

Sean_Nile wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:55 pm Yes I think Daniel Farke was giving some coded message in his last interview when he said the boys should keep it tight at the back so the opposition don't get any balls in.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:03 pm Thing is, are you sleeping well?
I am mate, I’ve got a lot on at the moment though so I’m done by 11pm 😁
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:52 pmYes, Tyzy.
Detest VAR, but needs must I suppose.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Sean_Nile wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:55 pm How can you be so flippant, just going on facts and figures... a proper Leeds fan would be looking for signs and portents.

:shock:

It's only a bet..
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Barlow Boy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:57 pm It is a no lose situation, it’s just that bringing yourself to back an opposing team which is obviously not good.
Believe me BB, I hope it's the easiest £50 i've ever lost.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:21 pm Believe me BB, I hope it's the easiest £50 i've ever lost.
No offence, but me too 😂😂😂
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Smallbone is going to be a pain in the arse. 100%
9/2 to score anytime.
12/1 first scorer.
Quite tempted as neither bet necessarily means we lose.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Morpheus wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:20 am If Leeds City Council and/or Leeds United don't sort out a beam-back at E.R or big screen in the city centre. I'd say that a pretty poor show from both of them.
I think their reasoning was that they wouldn't be allowed to
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:08 pm Poll required :

I'm seriously thinking of taking one for the team.

Leeds are 4/6 to qualify (as they put it)
Soton are 6/5

This is to bet on who actually wins promotion if it goes all the way, i'm seriously thinking of putting £50 on Soton and not giving a flying feck if i lose, and indeed want to lose. This is because i just daren't back Leeds and put the mockers on em, which i know i will.
I learned years ago never to bet on Leeds. Can't take the double disappointment
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

<<REWIND: Southampton

Source: https://x.com/LUFC/status/1793231243900780673
In Farke we trust...
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

@mods, shouldn’t this thread not be opened for commentary until match day? Thus, this content would belong in the pre-match thread? Not trying to start any controversy…but have been going back and forth between the two threads and just had this realization.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

JoeDenver wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:31 am @mods, shouldn’t this thread not be opened for commentary until match day? Thus, this content would belong in the pre-match thread? Not trying to start any controversy…but have been going back and forth between the two threads and just had this realization.
Same here, now this is where it gets foolish and here's my 2 penneth.

I'm all for 'pre match chat' and then that rolling into the match thread on match day (common sense)
And then i'm all for that closing, and a 'post match ' chat opening.

Here's why from a personal point of view.

The last time i missed a game (can't remember which) I decided to read thru the match thread without knowing the score.
I got to about page 21 and was getting pissed off and couldn't wait to get thru it, I thought 'oh ffs, this'll take an age there's probably 40 pages to get thru and i wanna nip out' So i looked at how many pages there was to go, it was 25 total iirc, I thought 'oh that's handy, the 'post match chat' will have started then, so i'll finish these 25 off, and i'll know exactly where to come back to.

Now i know that's not hard to just finish off at page 25 if it did go to page 40, but the relief was palpable coz of the shite i was reading.

It also felt in a way, very definite that that's the end of the game, and it was good to go away, and then come back to page 1 of 'post match chat and there was just a few pages to catch up on.

This is where i think people like BB are coming from when they come in from a game, to me it just feels so definite the game has ended, and is better for it.

But this 'pre match chat' and 'match thread' is feckin dumb.

;@)
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

I know how many of your are superstitious, are having dreams, wearing your favourite socks, looking for omens, throwing chicken bones to read the runes.

The media are making a big thing about which celebrities support Southampton and Leeds and if they will attend Wembley. The two big names are Rishi Sunak and Will Ferrell.

So I looked for recent photos to see if they would give a clue from the universe as to the final result.

The most recent photo of Sunak is of a soaked, dismal, bedraggled, forlorn figure.
IMG_20240523_082320.jpg
whereas the first photo of Will was a joyous one where he is showing the palm of his hand with 5 fingers extended. Could this be a goal prediction?
IMG_20240523_091522.jpg
Those more knowledgeable with the art of divination can say if this is a correct interpretation.