Leeds United v Southampton - Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Southampton pre match chat

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:56 pm Is he a Saints fan :lol: more to the point, is he any good?
Premier League referee, make of that what you will mate 😁
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Morpheus wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:49 am Could anyone advise if they are putting a big screen up anywhere in Leeds for the match?

Or if they are doing a beam-back at Elland Road?
I’ve been looking at that & can’t see anything so far, strange for one of our biggest games in recent history 🫣
Keeping The Faith
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Play Off Final - Leeds Utd v Southampton

Post by Clitheroe White »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:05 am Should be a fun day out for the club. I am slightly worried that some of our fans will make arses of themselves but it's not som2thing I can control.

I have already decided that come what may to be graceful in defeat, awful in victory and personally block all the hand wringing hindsight blamers if we end up not promoting.

I may as well put this in here.

It would be great to get promoted and have the financial backing and hopefully a talented manager who will finally lift us out of the shadow of the past Leeds legends and build something a bit more durable than what it as been since the Revie era.

Looking back is dragging us down. Look what is happening across the pennines since Fergie left, their fanbase are stuck in an endless cycle of unhappiness since. It's great:) But so in many respects so are we, tied to a golden decade which in many cases is on the outer limits of our memory.

Wilko and O'Leary went close. Bielsa raised expectation and now Farke and co have the opportunity to push us on to the next level. But we continually shackle any manager with useless points of comparisons from past glories.

Farke for all his faults seems a strong enough person not to wilt under that constant pressure.

A promotion raises the possibility of us being set free.

Big game. Let's back him and the side.
Wise words Ian. Totally agree
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

Clitheroe White wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:31 pm Wise words Ian. Totally agree
Yep if we miss out then let's at least accept losing with good grace and give the team a massive send off for giving their all this season.

Sometimes your best isn't quite good enough but who knows maybe this time it will be.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Barlow Boy wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:55 pm Graffito makes a very good point, I couldn’t care less what colours we play in either.
I disagree. I would have been distraught if we used the pink kit, especially on the anniversary of Don Revie's death. It was Revie that transformed Leeds to play in White, and if it makes a fraction of a difference - its worth doing.

I was talking with Brian Deane the other day. He told me that any advantage, physical or phycological - you take it, as the margins are so small.
Ben Scooby lufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ben Scooby lufc »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:48 pm I disagree. I would have been distraught if we used the pink kit, especially on the anniversary of Don Revie's death. It was Revie that transformed Leeds to play in White, and if it makes a fraction of a difference - its worth doing.

I was talking with Brian Deane the other day. He told me that any advantage, physical or phycological - you take it, as the margins are so small.
I'm quite certain we'll be playing in our famous White home kit. And no other!! :ok: . M.O.T
;-) Yeboah against Liverpool :!: :!: Crossbar and in. :love: :love:
Ben Scooby lufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ben Scooby lufc »

If we play the same we played against Norwich with that same on the day attitude then there's no doubt we will be the winners :ok:
At our very best we've been unstoppable even against the very best in the Championship, Leicester and Ipswich.
Southampton won't be easy but we are more than capable! This time it really matters. :darts: :darts: :celeb:
;-) Yeboah against Liverpool :!: :!: Crossbar and in. :love: :love:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Just Joe and Ben Bloom doing a live podcast for the playoff final atm

"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

For those who like such things
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Barlow Boy wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:59 pm John Brookes will referee the game on Sunday.
Not familiar with him. But he has been a PL referee since 2021.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

GreennWhite wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:46 pm Too many people getting worried about their players, and not enough respect for the players we have.
Farke knows what to do, its up to our players to go out and perform like we all know they can do. If they play to their potential then we win this game. For me midfield is the key area for us. Win that battle and the rest will look after itself.
Yeah really. We just have to sit back, relax, and be happy that we're playing a Wembley final on Sunday. Let Farke worry about the rest. Nothing much we can do about the line up or the tactics.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

1964white wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:56 pm Is he a Saints fan :lol: more to the point, is he any good?
Just looked him up. I don't recognize his face. Born in Leicestershire. Been a PL ref since December 2021. I guess that's not a whole lot of experience.

Wikipedia doesn't say much other than highlighting one error:
In December 2021, Brooks refereed his first Premier League match between Wolves and Burnley at Molineux.

On 11 February 2023, Brooks wrongly ruled out a goal by Brighton & Hove Albion's Pervis Estupiñán against Crystal Palace. A technician tasked with drawing the lines failed to draw the line to the deepest Crystal Palace defender and mistakenly identified James Tomkins as the Crystal Palace player closest to his own goal when it was actually his team-mate Marc Guéhi. After the image was presented to Brooks, he misjudged the situation and unintentionally ruled out Brighton & Hove's goal. An emergency meeting was convened by PGMOL head Howard Webb after the incident. Following the meeting, John Brooks was subsequently dropped for his next two matches.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Irish Ian wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:05 am Should be a fun day out for the club. I am slightly worried that some of our fans will make arses of themselves but it's not som2thing I can control.

I have already decided that come what may to be graceful in defeat, awful in victory and personally block all the hand wringing hindsight blamers if we end up not promoting.

I may as well put this in here.

It would be great to get promoted and have the financial backing and hopefully a talented manager who will finally lift us out of the shadow of the past Leeds legends and build something a bit more durable than what it as been since the Revie era.

Looking back is dragging us down. Look what is happening across the pennines since Fergie left, their fanbase are stuck in an endless cycle of unhappiness since. It's great:) But so in many respects so are we, tied to a golden decade which in many cases is on the outer limits of our memory.

Wilko and O'Leary went close. Bielsa raised expectation and now Farke and co have the opportunity to push us on to the next level. But we continually shackle any manager with useless points of comparisons from past glories.

Farke for all his faults seems a strong enough person not to wilt under that constant pressure.

A promotion raises the possibility of us being set free.

Big game. Let's back him and the side.
I'd be happy to get back to what Wilko and O'Leary built (with Graham in between).

We won a title. Had a few years in Europe. Over a 12 year span, we finished in the top 5 in 9 of them. I'm sure that's what the 9ers are hoping for. Might seem a bit of a dream. But we should be looking at what Villa achieved.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Tom the Cat wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:25 am If we play like we did against Norwich we can beat anyone so don't worry about Southampton let them worry about us. I watched their game against WBA and they were not great against a side that made Norwich look good. My only concern is that it seems Bamford has declared himself "fit" but I cannot see how DF can leave anyone out of the side that played so well against Norwich.
I really do hope we go about the game like we went about the Norwich game. We know we have better players. We should be looking to assert ourselves. But Wembley can do funny things to teams. Hopefully it makes Southampton nervous and we just go out and play.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:35 pm We've lost 0 games after taking the lead.

Southampton have lost 3.

Southampton have conceded 63 goals which is the 2nd most of any Playoff side since the division was changed to The Championship.

Lot of praise for how they've taken us apart before (that is on the manager to fix).

But if you are playing a side thats conceded the 2nd most goals of 80 teams over 20 years then you got a decent chance in a 1 off game.

Nothing to fear if DF does his job.
Does that include Norwich? They conceded 64. That is awful. Almost 1.5 goals conceded per game.

The only reason I looked it up was because I wondered about Ipswich. They only conceded 57.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:46 pm Does that include Norwich? They conceded 64. That is awful. Almost 1.5 goals conceded per game.

The only reason I looked it up was because I wondered about Ipswich. They only conceded 57.
Reading I think it was, 64 I think the only one above them.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

CONFIRMED. :scar1

Source: https://x.com/LUFC/status/1792868889405030580
In Farke we trust...
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:52 pm Reading I think it was, 64 I think the only one above them.
So Norwich conceded 64 this season too
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:42 pm I'd be happy to get back to what Wilko and O'Leary built (with Graham in between).

We won a title. Had a few years in Europe. Over a 12 year span, we finished in the top 5 in 9 of them. I'm sure that's what the 9ers are hoping for. Might seem a bit of a dream. But we should be looking at what Villa achieved.
Villa haven't achieved anything yet. They're gonna need to spend a lot just to stand still and a Champions league season will be very tough on them... Hard to see them finish top 8 next season
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

Confirmed that Southampton are a much better team than Norwich.

Please bear that in mind folks when it comes to Sunday.