Leeds United v Southampton - Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Southampton pre match chat

Post by Leeds1000 »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:28 am It certainly is.

When we play 4-2-3-1 and it basically looks like 4----------------2--------------------------3----1 (if you catch my drift)

It totally fcks us, we are way way way too distant in our lines to connect up,

There are certain states in the game where we can be : 2------------4---4 (attacking) , and 4-5----------1 (recovering)

But i like : 2--------8 ;-)
Spot on Kenneth.

I think whichever side we end up committing bodies into attack (usually the left) we will have to move across as a team and try to cut out the space in midfield. Similarly when Rutter gets caught in possession we will need bodies around him to cut out the space.

I heard Connor on the JJS taking about a 3-5-2 no chance of it happening but it would negate them in midfield and would free up Rutter to roam where he wants.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Play Off Final - Leeds Utd v Southampton

Post by Cjay »

We've lost 0 games after taking the lead.

Southampton have lost 3.

Southampton have conceded 63 goals which is the 2nd most of any Playoff side since the division was changed to The Championship.

Lot of praise for how they've taken us apart before (that is on the manager to fix).

But if you are playing a side thats conceded the 2nd most goals of 80 teams over 20 years then you got a decent chance in a 1 off game.

Nothing to fear if DF does his job.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Leeds1000 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:06 pm Spot on Kenneth.

I think whichever side we end up committing bodies into attack (usually the left) we will have to move across as a team and try to cut out the space in midfield. Similarly when Rutter gets caught in possession we will need bodies around him to cut out the space.

I heard Connor on the JJS taking about a 3-5-2 no chance of it happening but it would negate them in midfield and would free up Rutter to roam where he wants.
The best chance and time to do that, is when Firpo and Gray push on to support, and it's planned with Gruev to be aware of this and be ready to slip into a 3 with - Rodon Gruev Ampadu, and that they spread out to cover the normal back 4 line, for if possession is lost

This is also when a speedy player like DJ can always come in handy at any breakdown of attack to scuttle back asap.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:44 pm The best chance and time to do that, is when Firpo and Gray push on to support, and it's planned with Gruev to be aware of this and be ready to slip into a 3 with - Rodon Gruev Ampadu, and that they spread out to cover the normal back 4 line, for if possession is lost

This is also when a speedy player like DJ can always come in handy at any breakdown of attack to scuttle back asap.
I have doubts that Jimmy and Willy are disciplined enough for this formation. Gray and especially wandering Firpo would be interesting in that formation.
Phild
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Phild »

Just wonder how we should play the press
If they get through a high press we know they will have an unbelievable amount of freedom going forward, particularly through the middle.
The alternative is to press deeper and make us more compact around the half way line.
Against West Brom they went long on numerous occasions.
Perhaps I am worrying too much about them rather than looking at our own threats?
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Phild wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:17 pm Just wonder how we should play the press
If they get through a high press we know they will have an unbelievable amount of freedom going forward, particularly through the middle.
The alternative is to press deeper and make us more compact around the half way line.
Against West Brom they went long on numerous occasions.
Perhaps I am worrying too much about them rather than looking at our own threats?
I'd love to see us in the opening minutes like we did v Leicester, I honestly thought Leicester were going to be too good for us (the game where Mes pulled off the good save near the end)

I think we bossed that game, a draw wouldn't have been justice for us.

I'm of the feeling this is gonna be a very similar game, Leicester had their chances and so will Soton, but that is the nature of that set up, and like v Leicester it was us that had the better attacking play and chances.

I'm not even bothered when Firpo is starting and we play like that, that's how much i feel it's our best game.
A lot is gonna depend on Soton, and whether both managers have 'switch' plans, both just have to have more than 1 plan in case the other team don't do what they expect.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Cjay wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:51 pm Both League 1 and League 2 playoff finals have been won by teams who failed to beat the opponent in the regular season . . . .
Thats given me something to cling on to :tup:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Leeds1000 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:02 pm I have doubts that Jimmy and Willy are disciplined enough for this formation. Gray and especially wandering Firpo would be interesting in that formation.
That's a tough call--I can see where you're coming from, Leeds1000. TBF the young guns have been much, much better this season at tracking back and in a lot of cases bossing their defensive duties. But under the proverbial bright lights of Wembley can they maintain the discipline?
In Farke we trust...
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:56 pm Does Russell Martin have the hump over his past relationship with Daniel Farke?

Daniel Farke dropped Russell Martin from the Norwich City lineup
primarily due to a combination of tactical decisions and performance
considerations. Does that leave Russell with the feeling he is not good enough?
Will it play on his mind that this man rejected me, and does his two victories
over Farke make some sort of statement that he is wanting to prove Farke wrong?

When Farke took over as head coach of Norwich in 2017, he brought in new defensive
strategies and preferred other players in the defensive roles, which led to Martin,
despite being the club captain, not fitting into his immediate plans.
You could say the same about Farke and Cooper.

There were no personal conflicts reported between them;
Martin acknowledged that he was simply not part of Farke's tactical vision for the team.

Is there unfinished business between the pair of them? A festering wound.
Oh, you'd better believe it, without a doubt he will have.

I never knew all this, and this is why DF just has to realise Martin has his number, especially that 3-0 45min mauling.

I wondered at the time, how the Soton manager just knew to blitz us from the off, this explains it all, he absolutely knew Farke and he totally caught him cold. DF got them in at h/t and changed things up, ok it was too late then coz the damage was done, but ffs i hope to feck he's got this in his mind to expect it again, and on the other hand, he should be thinking 'but what if Martin doesn't do that again, coz Martin ain't daft enough himself to try it.

This is a battle of wits for both.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

But one thing i do know and would say to DF - He's just got to be planned to expect that same tactic at the start from Martin, and there is absolutely no way for us to start with any deep tippy tappy, coz he will get blitzed. We have to get the ball forward, and play our football in their half.

Jeez he's got to have plans DF, this is gonna be a game and a half right from the off.

;@)
Morpheus
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Morpheus »

Could anyone advise if they are putting a big screen up anywhere in Leeds for the match?

Or if they are doing a beam-back at Elland Road?
Morpheus
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Morpheus »

Could anyone advise if they are putting a big screen up anywhere in Leeds for the match?

Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

5 more sleeps
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

I have been reading a Southampton fans forum to see what they think about tactics and formation, but there is not even a whisper.

For a good 5 pages it is all about what kit they will be allowed to wear. There seems to be a pathological desire to be allowed to wear their red kit, as though it has some magical power to ensure victory. They seem to scorn the black kit.

The only in depth analysis they have done is reading the FA rule book regarding the colour of socks and shorts and how they are not allowed to be the same as the opposing team. They are quite obsessive about it. It has all the flavour of theologians discussing how many angels can dance on a pin head.

Have a laugh and read their forum... one exasperated fans commented.
IMG_20240521_163012.jpg

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/60879 ... /#comments
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Sean_Nile wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:49 pm I have been reading a Southampton fans forum to see what they think about tactics and formation, but there is not even a whisper.

For a good 5 pages it is all about what kit they will be allowed to wear. There seems to be a pathological desire to be allowed to wear their red kit, as though it has some magical power to ensure victory. They seem to scorn the black kit.

The only in depth analysis they have done is reading the FA rule book regarding the colour of socks and shorts and how they are not allowed to be the same as the opposing team. They are quite obsessive about it. It has all the flavour of theologians discussing how many angels can dance on a pin head.

Have a laugh and read their forum... one exasperated fans commented.

IMG_20240521_163012.jpg

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/60879 ... /#comments
Graffito makes a very good point, I couldn’t care less what colours we play in either.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

John Brookes will referee the game on Sunday.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:05 am Should be a fun day out for the club. I am slightly worried that some of our fans will make arses of themselves but it's not som2thing I can control.

I have already decided that come what may to be graceful in defeat, awful in victory and personally block all the hand wringing hindsight blamers if we end up not promoting.

I may as well put this in here.

It would be great to get promoted and have the financial backing and hopefully a talented manager who will finally lift us out of the shadow of the past Leeds legends and build something a bit more durable than what it as been since the Revie era.

Looking back is dragging us down. Look what is happening across the pennines since Fergie left, their fanbase are stuck in an endless cycle of unhappiness since. It's great:) But so in many respects so are we, tied to a golden decade which in many cases is on the outer limits of our memory.

Wilko and O'Leary went close. Bielsa raised expectation and now Farke and co have the opportunity to push us on to the next level. But we continually shackle any manager with useless points of comparisons from past glories.

Farke for all his faults seems a strong enough person not to wilt under that constant pressure.

A promotion raises the possibility of us being set free.

Big game. Let's back him and the side.
:clap:

I can but second that emotion.

;@)
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Too many people getting worried about their players, and not enough respect for the players we have.
Farke knows what to do, its up to our players to go out and perform like we all know they can do. If they play to their potential then we win this game. For me midfield is the key area for us. Win that battle and the rest will look after itself.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:59 pm John Brookes will referee the game on Sunday.
Is he a Saints fan :lol: more to the point, is he any good?
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

Morpheus wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:49 am Could anyone advise if they are putting a big screen up anywhere in Leeds for the match?

Don't know, but a good question!