The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 1st May) - They think it's all over...

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 1st May) - They think it's all over...

Post by Ellandback1 »

White Riot wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:06 am As Matt says "Fine margins"

One blinding performance from either Meslier, or Bamford, and we probably go up this season. We might have had a blinding performance from Klaesson, or Joseph but they haven't been played.
I'm amazed Cresswell hasn't been given more time from the bench when we've gone 2 or 3 up.
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:52 am The Patrick Bamford cycle

Paddy scores a screamer/great goal, boosts his confidence - Paddy plays well for 2/3 games - Paddy stops scoring, becomes belligerent - Paddy plays a few games as a spoiler but misses sitters and confidence is now low - 9/10 games later, Paddy scores a screamer

Meslier is a strange one, he's had 5 managers for us now and I still keep expecting someone to teach him how to catch a football and positioning. Does make some cracking saves but doesn't every keeper ?

I agree with Riot, the two ends of the field are probably the issue for us. Fingers crossed Paddy scores early against Brom or Norwich and starts that sequence again, he's probably due. We must hope so because we've missed multiple chances to blood Joseph and it's too late now and PIROE AIN'T A STRIKER

Can we last recall when Mes last played a "blinder" ..don't think it's this season, almost certainly not last
Piroe is a striker just look at his record at Swansea BUT he played in a very different formation. He does not suit how we play at the moment
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:02 am I'm amazed Cresswell hasn't been given more time from the bench when we've gone 2 or 3 up.
Why say that, DF only has Plan A, he does not know we can use subs early in the game
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:02 am I'm amazed Cresswell hasn't been given more time from the bench when we've gone 2 or 3 up.
Poor strategy over such a long season. Criminal not to give Cresswell, Klaesson, Anthony and Joseph more minutes.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

I want to be bitter and say Ipswich go straight back down with a miserable season but it’s their first time in a while in the top flight and like Luton I hope they have a good go at it with plenty of memorable moments what ever the final outcome.

Looking forward to the playoffs, if we don’t go up it’s a shame but it’s been in the main an enjoyable season and as long as I can still support Leeds I’m not massively bothered if that has to be in the championship.

Other than Rodon and white, both central defenders I can’t remember a good loan at other areas of the pitch, other teams seem to get it right but for whatever reason we can’t.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

GreennWhite wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:54 am Congratulations to Ipswich, they fully deserve to go up. They had a few small wobbles but mainly stayed strong all season and when you think they did the same the season before, hats off to them for what they have achieved.
Dont think anyone will begrudge them their chance with the big boys next season, but they will have to get used to loosing more than they win and will probably get a few tankings, if they dont improve the squad. Its going to be interesting to see how many of the current squad from the last 2 seasons are kept on for next season. Will blind loyalty be their undoing or will they be ruthless and ditch the players that got them this far ?
There are very few, if any, who are good enough forr the PL in their current squad, but as you say, they have earned their chance to compete at the top table so good luck to them.
They do need to be ruthless regarding players but that isn't the Ipswich way, they've always been very loyal.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

At least if we stay in the championship the dross we shipped out on loan last summer won't want to come back.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:37 am Moore adds something different. He's a big lump (just like me), can hold the ball up, and is a fantastic headerer of the ball
I'd have taken Moore in a heartbeat in January.

We lack a big brute what is needed in the championship.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Chilli D wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:43 am There are very few, if any, who are good enough forr the PL in their current squad, but as you say, they have earned their chance to compete at the top table so good luck to them.
They do need to be ruthless regarding players but that isn't the Ipswich way, they've always been very loyal.
Ipswich maybe have 2/3 players good enough for the prem, one of those is Davis whom I'm not convinced by. They're similar to SU in that respect and SU struggled to get players in

Prem quality players no longer want to risk themselves playing for a relegation favourite without a lot of get out of jail free cards to play should that happen.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Hindsight monkeys having a field day as per.

Carry on.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Obvious 3rd place in the league and 90 points is just not good enough, and it is all down to the socio-politico-economic structure of the club.

I propose that this club form an anarcho-syndicalist commune and the club takes apon itself to elect an executive officer/manager for the week.

But all the decision of that officer have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting.
By a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs.-but by a two-thirds majority in the case of the involvement of the 49er's

Team selection shall be done by drawing lots from a hat. If two goalkeeper are drawn those two players will be fielded and an appeal will be made to the supreme council of the EFL to uphold this decision made by the legally elected executive officer for that week.

If the team with this formation acheives victory then the executive officer in charge of team selection will continue to hold office for a further week, however in the event of a defeat he will be barred from holding office for a full calendar month.

By having a five year plan it is possible that with due diligence we can make the long trek back to the premiership, that haven of diversity, equality, and inclusiveness.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:40 am Hindsight monkeys having a field day as per.

Carry on.
For it to be hindsight it’d need to have been said after the event. Some of us have been saying it for a while.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:45 am At least if we stay in the championship the dross we shipped out on loan last summer won't want to come back.
It's worse than that. It's out of our hands

If we don't go up, the players can choose to stay on loan for another season, so we'll see the likes of Harrison rejoining Everton, without us even getting a loan fee...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Ipswich were proactive in January we were reactive.

They signed 3 players who've contributed 15 goals between them whilst we had the usual "that'll do" attitude.

What probably hasn't been noticed is Ipswich have £ behind them.

From the owners mouths when they took over they had a collective fund worth £10billion and £500mil in cash ready.

Ipswich also got new investors earlier this year.

They have plenty of £
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

On the whole we've had a brilliant season with plenty of memorable moments and we should have gone up on 90 points but Ipswich have had a freak season unfortunately. We all got carried away with the run we had at the start of the year giving hope of the autos I think that's why most of us are pi**ed off at the moment.
My concern if we don't go up are the financial implications and the selling of some of our decent players .
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Cjay wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:17 pm Ipswich were proactive in January we were reactive.

They signed 3 players who've contributed 15 goals between them whilst we had the usual "that'll do" attitude.

What probably hasn't been noticed is Ipswich have £ behind them.

From the owners mouths when they took over they had a collective fund worth £10billion and £500mil in cash ready.

Ipswich also got new investors earlier this year.

They have plenty of £
We were linked with the entire Welsh squad but missed out on Kiefer Moore to our promotion rivals!!!
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

Chilli D wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:45 am At least if we stay in the championship the dross we shipped out on loan last summer won't want to come back.
And 0 transfer money coming innfor them instead will continue to pay 1/2 their wages while they go out on loan again
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

I'm amazed that after Matteo's heroics against Chelsea in the Cup, why he wasn't given more game time?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Scoobychief wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:35 pm And 0 transfer money coming innfor them instead will continue to pay 1/2 their wages while they go out on loan again
I don't think we are contributing to any of our loan players wages, but I could be wrong...
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

Although getting close to automatic and then drifting off course is very disappointing, I'm happy with what Herr Farke has done.

If fact I'd go as far as saying he has actually over achieved.

At the beginning of the season I reckoned it was a two year project to get us back to the Premiership (given what Orta has shackled us to) and the play-offs would be classed as a successful season.

We are currently bang on 2pts per game with the 2nd best GD and second best defence in the league, that is not to be scoffed at.

I do agree that strengthening in January could have got us there due to the cruelty of the international break on us (particularly for the Welsh) and Sky's brutal scheduling.

Don't forget we are on our third choice captain and have a very low average age starting 11 (and even younger if we dropped Joseph in as many, including me, wished).

However being the top team in the play-offs still gives us a chance of going up. If not, I think we could piss the league next year, as this year has been so freakish.

I'm more than happy keep the reins firmly in DF's hands but we must strengthen the spine of the team whether we go up or not for next season.

PS, Well done Ipswich on a remarkable season.