New number 9

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

New number 9

Post by pjm2019 »

What ever league we are in next season we need to get Boro's number 9: Latte Lath

He has lots of pace, he knows how to score, has a great work rate, he is young. We must buy him
mentalcase

Re: New number 9

Post by mentalcase »

You have just stated 4 very good reasons why we won't buy him.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Would you fancy bamford scoring here or not.

tempFileForShare_20240429-104501.jpg
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
hector

Post by hector »

no..... over the top :mrgreen:
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Gyorkes was the perfect answer but we let him go elsewhere because we have bamford :roll:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

mentalcase wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:46 am Would you fancy bamford scoring here or not.

tempFileForShare_20240429-104501.jpg
Nah, no chance 😕

He will make a spectacular goal line clearance for the opposition.

I guess if we stay down there will still be plenty clamouring for him to start every week.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

White Riot wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:27 pm Nah, no chance 😕

I guess if we stay down there will still be plenty clamouring for him to start every week.
If we go up, there'll be plenty trying to convince us that he's worth keeping as well, it will die down soon enough though, just like when useless roberts went.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

White Riot wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:27 pm Nah, no chance 😕

His requirement to start for many is because we do not have a replacement or alternative that you could hang your hat on. No point quoting Joseph as he is pretty much an unknown quantity at this level and even less at the next level if we go up.

I would like to believe we will get a new 9 if we go up - although I wouldn’t put any money on it.

I agree with PJ though - Latte would be a good signing for next season if we remain in the Championship, but he will be 15 million minimum. Who knows what money we will have next season assuming Boro are willing to sell.
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Can’t see any reason Boro would be willing to sell him unless for silly money, they’re sitting 8th atm and if they have any ambition Latte should be the last player they sell.
Keeping The Faith
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Latte has certainly shown promise this season, but then again lots of players do that and then fade away. Its difficult to know if he can do it season after season.
Personally i would prefer someone who has more of a pedigree, though i admit they are hard to find and the cost can be the sticking point.
Get someone in like Piroe who is a proven goal scorer, oh wait a minute :duno: , we might have already gone down that route :)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:36 pm If we go up, there'll be plenty trying to convince us that he's worth keeping as well, it will die down soon enough though, just like when useless roberts went.
As a fan of Bamford, even I don't think Paddy is the answer should we be promoted to the PL.

He has two years left on his contract, problem is which championship team could afford his high salary?

Ideally, we require a new No.9 whatever league we're in next season.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:27 pm As a fan of Bamford, even I don't think Paddy is the answer should we be promoted to the PL.

He has two years left on his contract, problem is which championship team could afford his high salary?

Ideally, we require a new No.9 whatever league we're in next season.
I've never liked him, but when credits due I 'm always at the forefront in giving it, the amount of easy chances missed is staggering.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:50 pm Can’t see any reason Boro would be willing to sell him unless for silly money, they’re sitting 8th atm and if they have any ambition Latte should be the last player they sell.
Apparently they have organized a swap deal with AC Milan = Latte for Cappuccino :)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:36 pm Apparently they have organized a swap deal with AC Milan = Latte for Cappuccino :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:22 pm His requirement to start for many is because we do not have a replacement or alternative that you could hang your hat on. No point quoting Joseph as he is pretty much an unknown quantity at this level and even less at the next level if we go up.

I would like to believe we will get a new 9 if we go up - although I wouldn’t put any money on it.

I agree with PJ though - Latte would be a good signing for next season if we remain in the Championship, but he will be 15 million minimum. Who knows what money we will have next season assuming Boro are willing to sell.
I still think Joseph has a very high ceiling, and that's the guy I'd have invested time in this season. With Latte, Boro may have the ambition to retain him, plenty of EPL teams may also take a punt on him too. I guess that Piroe was where we were expecting a lot of goals, and he did get plenty earlier in the season. But I don't think that Farke has got anything like the best out of him and he looks awful at the moment.

But, no worse than Bamford has looked for Leeds in many matches over the past three seasons.

My point with Bamford, Meslier, Ayling and Cooper is the same one, that these guys should have been discarded after that first season in the Prem. They are all limited players who were never gonna be up to performing consistently at EPL level. Meslier is younger so you could argue that he might have developed, but that hasn't been the case. Watch his performances and his stats and no way should he have been starting for us for the past three seasons.

When you hang onto players like that and still view them as first choice players, regardless of talent, fitness, form, ability to improve and confidence, then your club is gonna suffer badly and you'll soon drop down to the level they're "capable" of playing at. The fact that we're still seeing Bamford and Meslier trotting out as first team regulars in 2024 is a failure of recruitment, and lack of effective progression of the club.

A good percentage of our supporters think Meslier is amazing, and same as Bamford, the repeated errors and non-performances, that have cost us dearly for at least three seasons are just shrugged off as though this is how it should be. Farke is also culpable here. He has some great young talent in Klaesson, Cresswell and Joseph available to him, and ready to be seeded into the first team and developed and has just basically ignored them.

The exception is Gray, but that's the other extreme, where like Rodon, Ampadu, Kamara, Summerville and Georgi, he's just flogged them to death, same as Bielsa did. We would be in much better shape and maybe even promoted already if Farke had used his squad effectively. But he hasn't.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

White Riot wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:36 pm Apparently they have organized a swap deal with AC Milan = Latte for Cappuccino :)
Luongo for Ipswich is very nearly a coffee.
I doubt the Asda shoppers will understand that as they buy granulated coffee. Peasants.
Although I dare say with your new spelling regime that would read pheasants.
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

🤣🤣 That would be a tall order but it has bean said before that you’re only stirring things up and will end up getting roasted on here.
Keeping The Faith
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

White Riot wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:00 pm I still think Joseph has a very high ceiling, and that's the guy I'd have invested time in this season. With Latte, Boro may have the ambition to retain him, plenty of EPL teams may also take a punt on him too. I guess that Piroe was where we were expecting a lot of goals, and he did get plenty earlier in the season. But I don't think that Farke has got anything like the best out of him and he looks awful at the moment.

But, no worse than Bamford has looked for Leeds in many matches over the past three seasons.

My point with Bamford, Meslier, Ayling and Cooper is the same one, that these guys should have been discarded after that first season in the Prem. They are all limited players who were never gonna be up to performing consistently at EPL level. Meslier is younger so you could argue that he might have developed, but that hasn't been the case. Watch his performances and his stats and no way should he have been starting for us for the past three seasons.

When you hang onto players like that and still view them as first choice players, regardless of talent, fitness, form, ability to improve and confidence, then your club is gonna suffer badly and you'll soon drop down to the level they're "capable" of playing at. The fact that we're still seeing Bamford and Meslier trotting out as first team regulars in 2024 is a failure of recruitment, and lack of effective progression of the club.

A good percentage of our supporters think Meslier is amazing, and same as Bamford, the repeated errors and non-performances, that have cost us dearly for at least three seasons are just shrugged off as though this is how it should be. Farke is also culpable here. He has some great young talent in Klaesson, Cresswell and Joseph available to him, and ready to be seeded into the first team and developed and has just basically ignored them.

The exception is Gray, but that's the other extreme, where like Rodon, Ampadu, Kamara, Summerville and Georgi, he's just flogged them to death, same as Bielsa did. We would be in much better shape and maybe even promoted already if Farke had used his squad effectively. But he hasn't.
It is a possibility that Joseph is what we need. But we said the same about a few other players in recent times who came through the academy - Drameh, Gelhardt and even Cresswell and they have all warmed the bench for the most part, even though they can put in a good performance when given a chance. But so far none of whom have really pushed on. It cannot be the coach’s fault on every occasion.
Gray has broken through relatively quickly and is now not just a regular but pretty nailed on to start.
Hence why I am hesitant to hang my hat on Joseph. If he was good enough as many suggest why is he not starting.
I am playing devil’s advocate, but constantly blaming the coach for young players not breaking through seems to be a repetitive cycle. Regardless of who is in charge.
Perhaps they are not ready.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:03 pm Luongo for Ipswich is very nearly a coffee.
I doubt the Asda shoppers will understand that as they buy granulated coffee. Peasants.
Although I dare say with your new spelling regime that would read pheasants.
Pheasants is more accurate Jay :lol:

You'll be getting the Bielsa disciples all excited when you're talking about coffee :) They gather at Wetherby's Costa every weekend and sit on their blue buckets, in their Newell's Old Boys shirts, proudly displaying their Marcelo tattoos, and reminisce about his jam jar glasses and "Davis very good" etc :lol:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:12 pm It is a possibility that Joseph is what we need. But we said the same about a few other players in recent times who came through the academy - Drameh, Gelhardt and even Cresswell and they have all warmed the bench for the most part, even though they can put in a good performance when given a chance. But so far none of whom have really pushed on. It cannot be the coach’s fault on every occasion.
Gray has broken through relatively quickly and is now not just a regular but pretty nailed on to start.
Hence why I am hesitant to hang my hat on Joseph. If he was good enough as many suggest why is he not starting.
I am playing devil’s advocate, but constantly blaming the coach for young players not breaking through seems to be a repetitive cycle. Regardless of who is in charge.
Perhaps they are not ready.
Maybe DDB :tup:

Shackleton is a prime example of that, he's had chances but not really established himself as a first team player.

But as with Archie, I do feel that Jospeh is an exceptional talent. The time to seed him was after that Chelsea performance, but Farke spurned it. We went on that winning run so he stuck with Bamford, who was on one of his occasional scoring runs. That was inevitable going to end and we'd be back to the unconfident, injured version of Paddy that does very little and misses chances for fun.

So the opportunity, rightly, or wrongly was missed and bet your life on it that Paddy will start on Saturday, and every play off match. As I said earlier, the likes of Klaesson, Cresswell and Joseph will get a shout at the desperation stage when the regulars have failed and we're putting up the bat signal