The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 16th April) - Do Leeds United have a Plan B?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
mentalcase

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 16th April) - Do Leeds United have a Plan B?

Post by mentalcase »

For all the clamouring over bielsa, Farke has the better record, go figure.
Oh, I know, lets pretend he inherited a vastly under performing bunch of misfits whilst Farke inherited PL players only :lol:
Knock DF all you like, I personally think we'd be pretty stupid to get shut if we don't get promoted this season, he has the respect of the players, no idea how many players will want to leave whether we go up or not but that happens with every team.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 16th April) Why no 'B' plan

Post by whiteswan »

Cjay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:44 pm Oh they are violins :lol:

They look like guitars in normal view, was very confused :oops:
They look nothing like guitars 8-)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 16th April) - Do Leeds United have a Plan B?

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:04 pm Impossible to say whether Farke should be sacked should we not be promoted without knowing the options available.

But absolutely no chance this was some sort of "project" 2,3 years for promotion.

That's PR spin.

His job was promotion this season (which still may happen).

No chance the 49ers looked at those accounts and thought "yeah we can wait a few years".

They need a Premier League club now to start plans to make a profit for the investors.

Thus isn't some consolidation rebuild season for next season or the season after.

They assumed Farke would be a sure thing appointment.

Southampton and Leicester went for "project" appointments.

We went for the supposed expert.
You asked me to point out somethings, and this is just 1 post.

1. Lie - Who said this ? You ?
2. You have absolutely no idea about this, it just suits your NARRATIVE.
3. Yet again, made up rubbish to suit your argument for sacking DF, guesswork at best, not fact.
4. You are speaking on their behalf, who gave you permission ? It's from your own head, not their mouths.
5. Yet again, these are your own guesses to suit your narrative, you have absolutely no idea what the Soton and Leicester owners wanted.
6. LUFC went for a guy with 2 promotions on his CV, nobody said he was a expert, you wanted to pluck one out of Norway dintcha, with no experience at all of the English thug league, i'd say the 49ers just did due diligence myself, imagine the beating they'd have taken if they hired some Skandi and we were in the relegation zone now, and if like you say they hired for promotion, open your eyes, we are currently going for it.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:55 pm I'm sure it wasn't expressed to him in blunt terms like that MC.

Promotion or be sacked.

But every parachute payment club aims for 1st season promotion, not one will aim for consolidation because as our accounts show the financial implications of a 2nd Championship season can be awful and the potential for getting stuck down here increases.

I agree we had our issues but at the same time the owners have provided by Championship standards an elite squad (whether we as fans rate the players or not is up for debate).

But from an owners point of view they've given Farke the top right back in the league last season, the top finisher officially in the league over the last 2 seasons, a winger who got 8 goals and 7 assists for a promotion winning club a few seasons back and played regular Premier league football last season.

Italian international wingers (who they could have sold for £30mil but Kept as Farke wanted him, Dan James who we spent £25mil on, Rutter who they also could have sold to Dortmund, Rodon, Ampadu, Gruev.

At Championship level that is an absolute ton of money I bet on wages and fees.

Then people like Bamford a former Championship player of the year, Firpo a La Liga winning full back, Struijk, Cooper.

And per his request they kept people like Gelhardt and Cresswell who we could have sold to other Championship clubs but kept as Farke requested it.

These for this level from an owners point of view are phenomenally expensive and high level players.

Teams like Burnley in recent years and Fulham had nothing like this level of depth.

You can only support that level of expense and wages once.

So did the 49ers sell this as a multi season potential stay to the investors? Highly unlikely I'd think.

I'm sure they didn't guarantee promotion but I bet they expected it privately.

They need it from a business point of view.

I think he's a decent man manager DF and do think he has done good things at times.

I don't think he is the difference maker for us in the same way some managers are, Bielsa for example I think was worth 10-15 points just for his knowhow and ability.

I don't think DF has that impact.

Just want us promoted :lol:

Traumatised by the 16 years in the wilderness
You 100% categorically know this as fact do you ?

SHOCK HORROR :!: THE 49ERS ARE BUST IF LUFC DON'T GO UP :!:

No you don't, it's a lie, and suits your narrative.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Last year :

Mes - Wasn't playing
Gray - Reserves
Rodon - Wasn't here
Struik, Cooper - Reserves
Byram - Not here
Firpo - Reserves
James - Out on loan
Summerville - Reserves
Rutter - Reserves
Joseph - Reserves

Ampadu
Kamara
Piroe
Gruev

Aye, he didn't have a job to do, and things to sort out :roll:

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kennyb41 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:34 pm You asked me to point out somethings, and this is just 1 post.

1. Lie - Who said this ? You ?
2. You have absolutely no idea about this, it just suits your NARRATIVE.
3. Yet again, made up rubbish to suit your argument for sacking DF, guesswork at best, not fact.
4. You are speaking on their behalf, who gave you permission ? It's from your own head, not their mouths.
5. Yet again, these are your own guesses to suit your narrative, you have absolutely no idea what the Soton and Leicester owners wanted.
6. LUFC went for a guy with 2 promotions on his CV, nobody said he was a expert, you wanted to pluck one out of Norway dintcha, with no experience at all of the English thug league, i'd say the 49ers just did due diligence myself, imagine the beating they'd have taken if they hired some Skandi and we were in the relegation zone now, and if like you say they hired for promotion, open your eyes, we are currently going for it.
At no point have I said DF should be sacked . . . . . .

You think the venture capital firm ran by an accountant in charge of other people's money looked at our accounts and thought "yeah this is OK for 2 or 3 years without promotion".

Phil Hay said they went for Farke because of his promotion experience and saw him as the "safe" option

Absolutely nobody ever aims to consolidate in a 1st Championship season.

Look at the accounts of all relegated teams, seeing those you think any owner would specifically say its OK if you don't get promotion this season?

Yeah I'd have preferred Knutsen and a whole list of other coaches over Farke, I don't buy the Championship experience narrative.

The 2 teams above us have fook all Championship experience between them.

Neither did the man who won the league last season, or the season before that.
Last edited by Cjay on Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kennyb41 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:44 pm You 100% categorically know this as fact do you ?

SHOCK HORROR :!: THE 49ERS ARE BUST IF LUFC DON'T GO UP :!:

No you don't, it's a lie, and suits your narrative.
Do I know for a fact the 49ers need a Premier League club to make a profit for the investors who have invested hundreds of millions of pounds already?

Yes I do.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kennyb41 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:56 pm Last year :

Mes - Wasn't playing
Gray - Reserves
Rodon - Wasn't here
Struik, Cooper - Reserves
Byram - Not here
Firpo - Reserves
James - Out on loan
Summerville - Reserves
Rutter - Reserves
Joseph - Reserves

Ampadu
Kamara
Piroe
Gruev

Aye, he didn't have a job to do, and things to sort out :roll:
Meslier was literally our number 1 and has been for years.

Gray is clearly a generational talent who Bielsa had training with the 1st team since he was a literal child.

Rodon EARNED a £20mil move after his performances in this very league.

Struijk has been lauded on here and has been a regular for years.

Firpo is a £12mil full back with 4 years playing for Barcelona.

James earned a £25mil move after his performances in this league.

Summerville got 5 goals and 6 assists last season and was certainly not a reserve.

Rutter cost us £30mil and was wanted by Dortmund in the summer.

Conor Roberts was the right back in last seasons Championship team of the year.

Piroe is the top open play goalscorer in the Championship for 2 seasons running.

Anthony was a promotion winning winger a few years ago and a Premier League regular last season.

Charlie Cresswell could have been sold to our rivals in this league including Boro, so good enough for them.

Gnonto is a £30mil player officially (according to ourselves).

If you think this isn't for this level a very strong squad then you need to have a look at some of the dross some teams have got promoted with recently.

Even the players who never get a kick for us like Gelhardt, Cresswell, or people he got rid of like Ayling and Greenwood are good enough for our rivals.

Perfect squad? No

But an embarrassment of riches at this level.
Signed

King Cjay

Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:09 pm At no point have I said DF should be sacked . . . . . .

You think the venture capital firm ran by an accountant in charge of other people's money looked at our accounts and thought "yeah this is OK for 2 or 3 years without promotion".

Phil Hay said they went for Farke because of his promotion experience and saw him as the "safe" option

Absolutely nobody ever aims to consolidate in a 1st Championship season.

Look at the accounts of all relegated teams, seeing those you think any owner would specifically say its OK if you don't get promotion this season?

Yeah I'd have preferred Knutsen and a whole list of other coaches over Farke, I don't buy the Championship experience narrative.

The 2 teams above us have fook all Championship experience between them.

Neither did the man who won the league last season, or the season before that.
Like you, I've no idea, what i do know is, DF wants promotion, along with every single other team in the league.

When did i or anyone from the club say they want to consolidate, :duno:

Well you didn't get him thank God.

What's that gotta do with the price of eggs ?

Again, price of eggs ?

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:11 pm Do I know for a fact the 49ers need a Premier League club to make a profit for the investors who have invested hundreds of millions of pounds already?

Yes I do.
So do i, are they idiots that invested demanding an instant return or they'll lose ALL and commit suicide, do i know for a fact they won't do that ?

Yes i do, no i don't, they might do, they might not.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:18 pm Meslier was literally our number 1 and has been for years.

Gray is clearly a generational talent who Bielsa had training with the 1st team since he was a literal child.

Summerville got 5 goals and 6 assists last season and was certainly not a reserve.

Piroe is the top open play goalscorer in the Championship for 2 seasons running.

Anthony was a promotion winning winger a few years ago and a Premier League regular last season.

Charlie Cresswell could have been sold to our rivals in this league including Boro, so good enough for them.

If you think this isn't for this level a very strong squad then you need to have a look at some of the dross some teams have got promoted with recently.

Even the players who never get a kick for us like Gelhardt, Cresswell, or people he got rid of like Ayling and Greenwood are good enough for our rivals.

Perfect squad? No

And ?

Were they all playing together as a team ?

From one troll to another - stfu

And you don't see me running tert teacher when i get called 'names' neither.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:09 pm At no point have I said DF should be sacked . . . . . .

Then i'll just ask you plain and simple now,

If we don't get promoted, do you think DF should be sacked ?

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:18 pm Meslier was literally our number 1 and has been for years.

Perfect squad? No

The trouble with that is that it is viewing every player at their best and that is something that we rarely saw from them,

Messlier, our number 1 due mainly to lack of competition, who's confidence was so shot that he was replaced by Robles who instantly looked an improvement. many fans saw Darlow coming in as a replacement for Messlier and most fans would have taken £5m if a club offered it for Messlier. For me I would still say he is full of potential but far from the finished article, even in this division.

Gray, like you say a great talent but totally unporven, especially at right back, and has been learning on the job and has been rinsed a few times such as by Clarke and the guy at Preston.

Rodon, yes got a big money move to Spurs but then deemed not good enough by them and farmed out on loan to France. A great spot by Farke who restored his confidence.

Struyjk has been in and out of the side but mainly has been in when others, mainly Cooper, have been injured. Another with a lot of potential, probably further along than Messlier, but still a work in progress.

Ampadu a player who has been farmed out by Chelsea to three lower end top flight teams who have all got relegated. Hardly the first name on any fan's wishlist this summer but a good spot by Farke who has allowed him to blossom. In my opinion a better DM than Tyler Adams and at a fraction of the cost.

Firpo and this is the classic case of viewing him at the top end of what he has done in his career. For the majority of his time at Leeds he has looked absolutely nothing like a 'Barcelona' player. That a freebie rightback was preferred to him earlier in the season says it all. Farke though has done exceptionally well to make the most of his best attributes. If a club would have offered us a couple of million then likely most fans would have taken it. Likely that he had a loan clause in his contract but it is telling that no club wanted him. Farke has restored his confidence and got him playing well.

Byram - a free signing who Farke has managed pretty well to get the best out of him. Again he could be looked at through rose tinted glasses as a former championship team of the year player and a proven premier league player but the reality is that Farke basically picked him up from the floor when not many other teams probably even looked at him.

and so it goes on. Farke has cobbled together a team based on what he had left. Restoring confidence, giving others a license to shine and work out their game and playing in a way that suits most, not all, of them.

Yes we have a squad that is the envy of others in this division. Nowhere near as settled as Leicester or Southampton's though and not the well oiled machine that Ipswich were. It has been the cobbling together and making the best out of the players, getting a team unity and playing a way of football that generally allows us to control games. Not the free flowing Bielsa style but a style that limits danger but also at time limits our attacking prowess whilst still making it so we dominate the amount of chances created.

I made the point earlier that we could lose a few of our 'star' players but have a side more suited to how Farke wants to play and more 'fit for purpose' in terms of getting out of the division. A side that wasn't made up of round and square pieces being fitted into triangular holes. Losing star players might see us bringing in players that suit Piroe more, that passto him more often and give him better passes. I'm sure that if this side had a Pablo Hernandez in it that Piroe would have thrived as Pablo would have been able to play Piroe the type of passes that he would thrive on instead of him getting balls played into him often seemingly as a last resort.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:13 pm For all the clamouring over bielsa, Farke has the better record, go figure.
Oh, I know, lets pretend he inherited a vastly under performing bunch of misfits whilst Farke inherited PL players only :lol:
Knock DF all you like, I personally think we'd be pretty stupid to get shut if we don't get promoted this season, he has the respect of the players, no idea how many players will want to leave whether we go up or not but that happens with every team.
Interestingly Farke's side will need to take 7 points from the last 3 matches to better Bielsa's promotion haul. The goal difference at present is the same, plus 42, as Bielsa's side finished on with Bielsa's team scoring 77 and conceding 35, compared to Farke's side at present having scored 76 and conceded 34.

Both did a great job, let's hope Farke's team can surpass the Bielsa total and that if they do it will be enough to go up.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

thesis–antithesis–synthesis
Kennyb41-Cjay-Weasel

Just saying
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:12 am Like you, I've no idea, what i do know is, DF wants promotion, along with every single other team in the league.

When did i or anyone from the club say they want to consolidate, :duno:

Well you didn't get him thank God.

What's that gotta do with the price of eggs ?

Again, price of eggs ?
If the aim isn't promotion this season and by definition failure to achieve it means DF failed in his primary objective then the club must be happy to consolidate? That's the implication.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 am And ?

Were they all playing together as a team ?

From one troll to another - stfu

And you don't see me running tert teacher when i get called 'names' neither.
You made a post implying he had a poor squad or nothing special.

I countered.

I'm no troll

Fortunately for you I've never ran to anyone Kenneth :lol:
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:25 am Then i'll just ask you plain and simple now,

If we don't get promoted, do you think DF should be sacked ?
Can't answer that until we see . .

1) how this season finishes, a damp squib or a close fought thing.

2) How we perform in those games.

3) What sort of options we may have as a replacement.

Someone said on another forum something I kinda agree with though.

Given the options available (assuming we continue with our narrow shortlist of Championship or English football experience) then I'd rather keep Farke in the Championship should that happen rather than have him in the Premier League if promoted.

If we widened our gaze that's a different matter but if not the above paragraph sums it up.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:14 am The trouble with that is that it is viewing every player at their best and that is something that we rarely saw from them,

Messlier, our number 1 due mainly to lack of competition, who's confidence was so shot that he was replaced by Robles who instantly looked an improvement. many fans saw Darlow coming in as a replacement for Messlier and most fans would have taken £5m if a club offered it for Messlier. For me I would still say he is full of potential but far from the finished article, even in this division.

Gray, like you say a great talent but totally unporven, especially at right back, and has been learning on the job and has been rinsed a few times such as by Clarke and the guy at Preston.

Rodon, yes got a big money move to Spurs but then deemed not good enough by them and farmed out on loan to France. A great spot by Farke who restored his confidence.

Struyjk has been in and out of the side but mainly has been in when others, mainly Cooper, have been injured. Another with a lot of potential, probably further along than Messlier, but still a work in progress.

Ampadu a player who has been farmed out by Chelsea to three lower end top flight teams who have all got relegated. Hardly the first name on any fan's wishlist this summer but a good spot by Farke who has allowed him to blossom. In my opinion a better DM than Tyler Adams and at a fraction of the cost.

Firpo and this is the classic case of viewing him at the top end of what he has done in his career. For the majority of his time at Leeds he has looked absolutely nothing like a 'Barcelona' player. That a freebie rightback was preferred to him earlier in the season says it all. Farke though has done exceptionally well to make the most of his best attributes. If a club would have offered us a couple of million then likely most fans would have taken it. Likely that he had a loan clause in his contract but it is telling that no club wanted him. Farke has restored his confidence and got him playing well.

Byram - a free signing who Farke has managed pretty well to get the best out of him. Again he could be looked at through rose tinted glasses as a former championship team of the year player and a proven premier league player but the reality is that Farke basically picked him up from the floor when not many other teams probably even looked at him.

and so it goes on. Farke has cobbled together a team based on what he had left. Restoring confidence, giving others a license to shine and work out their game and playing in a way that suits most, not all, of them.

Yes we have a squad that is the envy of others in this division. Nowhere near as settled as Leicester or Southampton's though and not the well oiled machine that Ipswich were. It has been the cobbling together and making the best out of the players, getting a team unity and playing a way of football that generally allows us to control games. Not the free flowing Bielsa style but a style that limits danger but also at time limits our attacking prowess whilst still making it so we dominate the amount of chances created.

I made the point earlier that we could lose a few of our 'star' players but have a side more suited to how Farke wants to play and more 'fit for purpose' in terms of getting out of the division. A side that wasn't made up of round and square pieces being fitted into triangular holes. Losing star players might see us bringing in players that suit Piroe more, that passto him more often and give him better passes. I'm sure that if this side had a Pablo Hernandez in it that Piroe would have thrived as Pablo would have been able to play Piroe the type of passes that he would thrive on instead of him getting balls played into him often seemingly as a last resort.
But every team has to "cobble together" at this level.

Based on pedigree you'd be hard pushed to find a stronger squad in the league.

Made the point before, look at what Burnley and Sheffield United had last season.

You say "a side more suited to how Farke wants to play".

Shouldn't a manager with the level of talent in this squad have the tactical knowledge and flexibility to adapt his tactics to make this talented group for this level better?

Isn't that his job? Rather than needing a squad perfect for his style?

Kompany was making do with 37 year old Ashley Barnes as his main striker last season and got over 100 points, he made it work.

I don't think his style gets the best out of this squad anyway.

But it bothers me more now that we are saying he needs the perfect squad to make it work.

That to me should never be the case with a squad superior to basically the whole division.

He should adapt his tactics to get the best out of this squad, but he doesn't.

Is that because it's all he knows? 1 style that's worked with 1 group of players?

I also find it odd how DF doesn't get the criticism Marsch did for the narrowness of the style? Both wingers often come inside just like Marsch but only 1 full back (left) is given the freedom to get forward making the entire attack one sided.

Yet it's never criticised.

I think DF is very fortunate he came in after a poor period and unpopular managers, it's given him much more leeway than he would have got had a he replaced a popular manager.
Signed

King Cjay

Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Cjay wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:15 am Can't answer that until we see . .

1) how this season finishes, a damp squib or a close fought thing.

2) How we perform in those games.

3) What sort of options we may have as a replacement.

Someone said on another forum something I kinda agree with though.

Given the options available (assuming we continue with our narrow shortlist of Championship or English football experience) then I'd rather keep Farke in the Championship should that happen rather than have him in the Premier League if promoted.

If we widened our gaze that's a different matter but if not the above paragraph sums it up.
Agree with those points generally.
If we totally wimped out and staggered to 1 point from our last six I’m guessing plenty of people on here might think 🤔 mmmm not sure now.
So it’s all hypothetical atm.
Only thing on point 3 is be very careful what you wish for. We’re not getting an Iraola or Emery are we so who exactly. No thanks. I’ll stick with Farke for defo but if we wimp out as above…..