Patrick Bamford- Will miss playoff semi final

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Re: Patrick Bamford

Post by Orange Box »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:04 pm Fix the midfield and Paddy will be fine.
Sorry Ian, I can’t correlate those two separate notions. Yes, the midfield is woeful right now, but I don’t see how that affects what Bamford fails to do.
The miss last night came back to him from the byeline, not midfield, and I’m going to mention the right side cross late on, when the sum total of his attacking contribution was to put his hand up to appeal for a throw in after the keeper got his fingertips to the ball. A decent 9 would be in the air ready for the header, cursing the keeper for touching it. Bamfords feet never left the ground.

His service from the middle was pathetic, I agree, but his lack of ball control and aimless running around was pointless last night, the Hull players weren’t following him and leaving space for others to run into, but he never changed tactic. The Hull defenders simply let him go, and passed him on from one zonal player to the next.

Im not a fan of Bamfords, but I’m not having a go at him as a person, I’m simply being observant and saying what I see.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I understand all the reasons for wanting Joseph in the starting lineup, but I would still stick with PB during the run in. He has had a couple of poor games and missed a sitter (we have seen it many times before) but you need his experience in what is a relatively youthful set up. It is now the business end of the season, I think PB is playing for a new contract so he will bust a gut. Having Joseph come on is a great option and it would not be savvy management to change things when we have dropped 4 points, and not lost since the start of 2024. Regardless of analysing every match in isolation those are indisputable facts.
Incidentally, I am pretty certain Bielsa would not change it either.

(Whether Joseph should come on sooner in games where PB is ineffective is a different debate)
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Orange Box wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:25 am Sorry Ian, I can’t correlate those two separate notions. Yes, the midfield is woeful right now, but I don’t see how that affects what Bamford fails to do.
The miss last night came back to him from the byeline, not midfield, and I’m going to mention the right side cross late on, when the sum total of his attacking contribution was to put his hand up to appeal for a throw in after the keeper got his fingertips to the ball. A decent 9 would be in the air ready for the header, cursing the keeper for touching it. Bamfords feet never left the ground.

His service from the middle was pathetic, I agree, but his lack of ball control and aimless running around was pointless last night, the Hull players weren’t following him and leaving space for others to run into, but he never changed tactic. The Hull defenders simply let him go, and passed him on from one zonal player to the next.

Im not a fan of Bamfords, but I’m not having a go at him as a person, I’m simply being observant and saying what I see.
Yes he missed a sitter, but when the engine room of the team is misfiring so much why do we expect him to function peffectly normal?
What I see happening is that when they fail to deliver and the anxiety and desperation rises because the chances start drying up we then start blaming Bamford.

All I am saying is that we still need him.

Easy target.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Yea we can blame bamford, any half decent CF would have had a hat trick last night, he's a liability, luckily, unlike stoke away, we got the 3 points last night which savesd him from much more abuse than he's getting, pathetic and his days are surely numbered.
I don't think DF will drop him either, but what the f**k has it got to do with bielsa is just unbelievable to how some folk will big him up.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I wonder if Joe Wilkinson would have scored that last night? If they are doing questions on that podcast someone should send that in.
BradWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BradWhite »

Bamford is needed but not for full games IMO he wasn't in the game at all and should have been subbed much earlier.
I think Piroe and Joseph are must starts for the last 6 games.

I like Farke but he does like the late late show when we should be putting these chances away.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:25 am Yea we can blame bamford, any half decent CF would have had a hat trick last night, he's a liability, luckily, unlike stoke away, we got the 3 points last night which savesd him from much more abuse than he's getting, pathetic and his days are surely numbered.
I don't think DF will drop him either, but what the f**k has it got to do with bielsa is just unbelievable to how some folk will big him up.
Two managers who have recently won this league. I personally hold more stock in their wisdom than knee jerk, reactionary, panicky suggestions by couch coaches.

My perspective - we all have a differing opinion - but you asked the question mental.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

weasel wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:27 am I wonder if Joe Wilkinson would have scored that last night? If they are doing questions on that podcast someone should send that in.
He would have missed, because Fabio put him off.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:48 am Two managers who have recently won this league. I personally hold more stock in their wisdom than knee jerk, reactionary, panicky suggestions by couch coaches.

My perspective - we all have a differing opinion - but you asked the question mental.
Oh I totally agree regards coaches/managers knowing a lot more than we/I do for sure, but how many more years do we have to live with "Bielsa did this , Bielsa did that"
He got sacked in the end, at least lets give the praise to Farke who's still here rather than a bloke who was 4 managers ago.
Farkes record is far superior to bielsa' yet the fondness remains of a man who let the team get walloped week in week out.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:37 pm Oh I totally agree regards coaches/managers knowing a lot more than we/I do for sure, but how many more years do we have to live with "Bielsa did this , Bielsa did that"
He got sacked in the end, at least lets give the praise to Farke who's still here rather than a bloke who was 4 managers ago.
Farkes record is far superior to bielsa' yet the fondness remains of a man who let the team get walloped week in week out.
I am not quoting Bielsa for romantic nostalgia. I am just making the point that Farke’s decisions are pretty consistent with what another top coach would do at this level under our current circumstances.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:47 pm I am not quoting Bielsa for romantic nostalgia. I am just making the point that Farke’s decisions are pretty consistent with what another top coach would do at this level under our current circumstances.
:tup:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:37 pm Oh I totally agree regards coaches/managers knowing a lot more than we/I do for sure, but how many more years do we have to live with "Bielsa did this , Bielsa did that"
Curious how your hatred of Bielsa seems to stem from the Falklands war and the fact Bielsa is Argentinian yet you have no problem with a German......
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

weasel wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:22 pm Curious how your hatred of Bielsa seems to stem from the Falklands war and the fact Bielsa is Argentinian yet you have no problem with a German......
I might be knocking on but I wasn't involved in WW2.
And don't you bother jumping on the "racist bollocks either"
I don't hate bielsa at all, just sick of folk bleating on about someone who was fast getting us relegated because he refused to alter things, I very much appreciate what he did for us and respect such, but that was 4 managers ago, I know, lets go back to mentioning Wilko every day shall we !!
BTW he can't match Farke at all.
This a a week or so ago, live with it.
tempFileForShare_20240303-163504.jpg
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ridiculous to compare, try again when Farke gets a s**t squad that languished in the lower leagues for 16 years
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

tempFileForShare_20240402-205240.jpg
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Paddy is always going to be the creator of huge emotion. He's just that sort of player.

I've said before (on the rugby thread) that he's like a Springbok captain of the past - Morne DuPlessis - whose detractors called him "gironkey", as he was gangly like a giraffe and ran around the pitch like a donkey. But on his day, he could be hugely effective.

Paddy has scored the best goal of the season, and has the most hopeless misses of the season too. So I can see all points of view expressed here. He sure is an enigma - especially nowadays!

But I do think its time to relegate him to "super-sub" role and put Joseph in the starting line up. I can also see the merit of brining Joseph off the bench, but if we are going up (well of course Carruthers, by Jove!), it would be good to have Joseph a bit more battle hardened.

Farke Vs. Bielsa. Right leader for the times - sort of like Churchill, no?
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Orange Box wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:25 am Sorry Ian, I can’t correlate those two separate notions. Yes, the midfield is woeful right now, but I don’t see how that affects what Bamford fails to do.

Oh jeez this is soooooooo hard to ignore, so i'll just say this - We play 4-2-3- 1

Do you know DF plays that OB ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Because DF has played differently lately, there has been some players and their positions suffering from it.

Hopefully after a full 6 days recovery and planning, we'll be better v Coventry (although he does tend to play differently away from home)
So it could be much of the same.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:00 am Yes he missed a sitter, but when the engine room of the team is misfiring so much why do we expect him to function peffectly normal?
What I see happening is that when they fail to deliver and the anxiety and desperation rises because the chances start drying up we then start blaming Bamford.

All I am saying is that we still need him.

Easy target.
:tup: and,

You'd better believe it.
Although, thanks to PB and DF working with Joseph, hopefully not as much as i earlier in the season feared.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:25 am Yea we can blame bamford, any half decent CF would have had a hat trick last night, he's a liability, luckily, unlike stoke away, we got the 3 points last night which savesd him from much more abuse than he's getting, pathetic and his days are surely numbered.
Well, seeing as the whole world of football is starting to realise who the master of football is, and are attempting to play his game at every level now - I'd suggest, quite a lot.

;@)