Watford v Leeds Utd Post Match Discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Watford v Leeds Utd Post Match Discussion

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:01 pm Thank god, Mateo was involved towards the end of the game, however Joseph miskicked his first shot & I'm not entirely convinced he hit the ball for his goal, I've viewed the goal over & over again, and it looks like Joseph kicked the defender's leg & the ball flew into the net.

Maybe my new pair of spectacles are deceiving my eyesight. :geek:
Indeed - I don't have gripes with DF typically, but I did wish Mateo had come on earlier. He is clearly hungry and can make an instant impact. Paddy seemed to be struggling so I'm unsure as to why he waited so long.
In Farke we trust...
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:17 pm You're not looking at the finish you're looking at the instinct... like James v Millwall it was mis-hit but the instincts were right.
I think this is what I see in him that excites me so much. He's technically gifted and strong, but the hunger and instinct really stand out. Paddy has been great for us this year, but I hope to see more Mateo.
In Farke we trust...
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

After Joe Rodon and Ethan Ampadu became our centre back pairing in the 64th minute, Watford didn't have a single shot or touch in our penalty area and completed just 31 passes
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Watford v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:56 am He did that on 63 minutes and his even later 80th plus minute subs nearly won the game and still he’s criticised by a lot of people.
Indeed. No matter what Farke did it seems people were just waiting for us to have a bad result so they could say what they would have done thta would have won us the game. It wasn't even like it was a bad result. Watford are probably underachieving considering some of the players they have and considering it was an away match then even without all the disruption etc a point is hardly a bad result.

I really don't know what some people expected Farke to do with the selection. Firpo couldn't start, Gruev was unavailable, etc so what was the 'right' choice at the back? Suggestions for James to be dropped , well how is that going to improve his confidence? Suggestions for Rutter to have been rested but same as any player coming back from an injury you want to get some minutes so your body gets adjusted to the proper intensity. Play more of the 'rested' players well it was hardly like Bamford set the world alight. I presume Kamara didn't have another game after Finland lost to Wales and he didn't exactly shine.

For me this was almost the equivalent of trying to get as many players ready for the next few matches as Farke could. Almost like he knew this wasn't going to be a straightforward match, similar to how we stuttered aginst Huddersfield, but that it is almost a case of getting players back up to speed again.

The substitutions were bold, especially the Firpo for Cooper one. I didn't see that one coming but it was an excellent decision although if that one hadn't worked out I am sure Farke would have been given stick because too many players had to change positions to accomodate Firpo coming on (Byram to RB, Ampady to CB, Gray to CM).

As it was we showed great character to come back twice despite not being anywhere near our best.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:53 pm After Joe Rodon and Ethan Ampadu became our centre back pairing in the 64th minute, Watford didn't have a single shot or touch in our penalty area and completed just 31 passes
Says it all 64 !
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:53 pm After Joe Rodon and Ethan Ampadu became our centre back pairing in the 64th minute, Watford didn't have a single shot or touch in our penalty area and completed just 31 passes
A good stat. But a bit skewed. I think by that time, Watford had decided to sit back and settle for the 1 goal lead, and then later the point.

It was interesting to see we started the second half a whole lot differently. Ampadu dropped back as a 3rd CB.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds fans in good voice last night.

1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:58 pm A good stat. But a bit skewed. I think by that time, Watford had decided to sit back and settle for the 1 goal lead, and then later the point.

It was interesting to see we started the second half a whole lot differently. Ampadu dropped back as a 3rd CB.
On the other hand, if Rodon & Ampadu could have controlled the game from the back in the first-half, we may have not got ourselves in a right old pickle.

All hindsight now!
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:19 pm On the other hand, if Rodon & Ampadu could have controlled the game from the back in the first-half, we may have not got ourselves in a right old pickle.

All hindsight now!
I agree. Quite a bit of hindsight and speculation. Another factor in that is that we made 2 changes at the back with Firpo unable to start. Maybe that should have mandated that we set up Rodon/Ampadu so it's one change, not two. It still doesn't answer the questions in midfield. Gray in midfield would have been another change at the back. Very unlikely he's going to put his trust in Shackleton right now.

It will be nice to have Firpo fully available on Monday and allow us more options.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:25 pm I agree. Quite a bit of hindsight and speculation. Another factor in that is that we made 2 changes at the back with Firpo unable to start. Maybe that should have mandated that we set up Rodon/Ampadu so it's one change, not two. It still doesn't answer the questions in midfield. Gray in midfield would have been another change at the back. Very unlikely he's going to put his trust in Shackleton right now.

It will be nice to have Firpo fully available on Monday and allow us more options.
And Firpo was unable to start in the first-half.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

malcolmw wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:59 pm Not sure how you can say the attitude and energy are on the wane. Look at our results this year.
This was one game after a 2 week break with key players off playing tough games in different systems and situations.
We haven't had attitude as strong as this since the peak of the Bielsa years.
I actually meant during that game, and specifically in the first half rather than across other games. Of course we've been class for quite a while now.
Reading it back I probably phrased it wrongly.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

I personally think he ought to have started firpo, maybe he thought it would work with Byram, normally it does but the whole formation at the back was wrong to begin with, least he altered it and that made the difference, but as I said before the game I expected firpo to start, he waas back in time so why not.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Boo Radley wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:53 pm I actually meant during that game, and specifically in the first half rather than across other games. Of course we've been class for quite a while now.
Reading it back I probably phrased it wrongly.
I can see what you mean about how the game started off. Players just seemed out-of-step. Took a while to get some rhythm.
Credit to Watford, they came out the blocks quickly.
Must do better against Hull.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

malcolmw wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:01 pm I can see what you mean about how the game started off. Players just seemed out-of-step. Took a while to get some rhythm.
Credit to Watford, they came out the blocks quickly.
Must do better against Hull.
Pre match Tom Cleverly said he intructed the team to come flying at us and not allow us to settle and dictate, I got it, DF didn't apparently !!
No,I'm not knocking DF either, personally I blamr the int break with injuries, but that only shows the depth of the squad.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

mentalcase wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:07 pm Pre match Tom Cleverly said he intructed the team to come flying at us and not allow us to settle and dictate, I got it, DF didn't apparently !!
No,I'm not knocking DF either, personally I blamr the int break with injuries, but that only shows the depth of the squad.
They really got their new manager bounce and it's not the first time we've faced that this season.

Also, Dennis was back for them and he can be a menace up front, especially if your defence is jittery or uncertain. The fact that he probably hurt himself in his celebratory gymnastics after scoring was hilarious as it was a thorn removed from our side.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:01 pm Thank god, Mateo was involved towards the end of the game, however Joseph miskicked his first shot & I'm not entirely convinced he hit the ball for his goal, I've viewed the goal over & over again, and it looks like Joseph kicked the defender's leg & the ball flew into the net.

Maybe my new pair of spectacles are deceiving my eyesight. :geek:
To quote Napoleon, "I'd rather have lucky generals than good ones".
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Which could be down to the new pairing or they tired... Which I said they'd do, keeping Leeds in check takes a lot of energy. Geo and Cry ran them ragged
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:58 pm A good stat. But a bit skewed. I think by that time, Watford had decided to sit back and settle for the 1 goal lead, and then later the point.

I think Dennis going off injured had the big impact for Watford from an attacking sense. They lost any sense of real offensive ambition when he was replaced.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Boo Radley wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:21 pm They really got their new manager bounce and it's not the first time we've faced that this season.

Also, Dennis was back for them and he can be a menace up front, especially if your defence is jittery or uncertain. The fact that he probably hurt himself in his celebratory gymnastics after scoring was hilarious as it was a thorn removed from our side.
I thought Dennis landed awkwardly at the time, a blessing in disguise :lol: