David Batty Appreciation

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

David Batty Appreciation

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Last Friday, when Archie Gray picked up the ball and everyone was yelling "Shoooooot" it made me think back to David Batty. Because he scored so rarely, we all screamed shoot every time he got the ball in a good position.

I have great memories of this (maybe his 2nd career) goal. He picked up the ball in his own half - he was the man up from the corner. There was such a buzz of excitement in the Kop as he scampered towards goal. "He's going all the way. Oh my god he's gonna score. He's scored!"

Definitely one of my best Elland Road memories. My brain is foggy. In my memory he was on his own. Didn't remember Wallace running with him too

https://youtu.be/CiZlPyqyzc0?si=x0P_e4Xt9xOIzREE
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Re: David Batty Appreciation

Post by Finnatic »

I was in the NE corner for that goal so had a great view.
His first goal at Maine Road was good too, I had my hands on the back of my head for most of the game as City fans pelted us with coins from the stand above.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Finnatic wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:22 pm I was in the NE corner for that goal so had a great view.
His first goal at Maine Road was good too, I had my hands on the back of my head for most of the game as City fans pelted us with coins from the stand above.
That was the only Batty goal I ever saw in person
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:28 pm That was the only Batty goal I ever saw in person
Well that’s about 30% of his total so it’s not bad 😁
Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

I used to see him all the time in Rothwell married a girl not far from where I lived her Auntie lived next door to me he often use to turn up in a white Toyota Supra very fancy back then,not seen him for donkeys years.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Was in the Kop when he got his first goal in years. 1st Division winning season v City I think 🤔
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Finnatic wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:22 pm I was in the NE corner for that goal so had a great view.
how much did you make?
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Sean_Nile wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:37 am how much did you make?
It was mainly two pence pieces so I didn’t bother
Also, I would have been left defenceless trying to pick them up 😉
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:12 am Was in the Kop when he got his first goal in years. 1st Division winning season v City I think 🤔
Would have been at this one also, Vinny………..one of the few games I got up to around then
62281451-A859-4BAD-B369-24E4671565AC.jpeg
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:10 pm Would have been at this one also, Vinny………..one of the few games I got up to around then

62281451-A859-4BAD-B369-24E4671565AC.jpeg
17 quid was a lot of money back then
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:50 pm 17 quid was a lot of money back then
In the posh seats, Andrew 😄
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:39 pm In the posh seats, Andrew 😄
On a side note. Wonder if you or anyone remembers Howard Wilkinson being interviewed on the team bus. It was some time between Batty's first and second goal. The interviewer asked why he was carrying a rifle. "It's the only way we'll get David Batty to shoot."

NIce to see that side of Wilko. He always came across a little straight faced and stoic. But clearly he had fun with his players too.