The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 11th January) - Burnley open to offers for Welsh star

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 11th January) - Burnley open to offers for Welsh star

Post by White Riot »

Barlow Boy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:02 am That’s a bit harsh mate, he’s made 20 appearances, we’ve only had 26 league games.
Maybe BB, he has been subbed off with injuries a few times.

I'm delighted with the job he's done for us and he's been available more than I expected. I get the impression that Our medical team are having to carefully manage him due to a long standing injury, and Farke has alluded to this .

He's been a good short term solution for this season. But if we do get promoted his age and injury record would mean I wouldn't look to sign him permanently.

I would go for Roberts and Mepham right now as we are short at the back. Firpo also picks up his share of injuries and despite being good going forward is an absolute liability defensively.

I would take a punt on someone like Aaron Cresswell, who can defend and is good with set pieces, if we can get him.

Keifer Moore as a battering ram striker could also get us over the line as he offers a physical route one option.

Bamford may kind of offer that too, but will he stay fit and will he perform? I'm not convinced of his durability and confidence based on the strength of him putting in two good performances.

We don't need Brooks, he's a winger and we're overrun with them. He wouldn't get ahead of Rutter for me.

Biggest worry for me is if Rodon gets injured, but Ampadu was brilliant on Sunday, even though the opposition was dross.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 11th January) - Burnley open to offers for Welsh star

Post by Kennyb41 »

Gray 'needs' to be played where the manager sees fit and right for the 'team'

Whoever gets Brooks will be promoted and to me it would be a screaming 'buy'...The other like Roberts would be welcome loans.

Btw, didn't we once have half the Scottish football team at Leeds.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:01 pm It's horses for courses sometimes, whatever or whoever we drop to accomodate, we need to strengthen and sharpish, otherwise, IF, we get promoted, we'll still need to strengthen, IF , we don't get promoted, it will obviously tell us the squad isn't good enough and we again, must strengthen to achieve promotion.
Unless the board suddenly don't rate DF as the man to achieve promotion, then it's someone else who will need his squad in, also more likely to ....youv'e got it, strengthen.
Lets stop pissing about trying to do it on the cheap as usual, we know how that ends up don't we !!
I think we have one shot to achieve promotion MC.

If we don't get up this season then you can expect the top tier teams will swoop in for Summerville, Struijk, Gray, Rutter, Gnonto, etc. We'll need the money as the parachute payments will be reduced.

If we sell Rutter and co then this squad will be significantly weaker and it's gonna be way harder to get promoted.

We're a few good defensive signings away from promotion this season. Either Farke is keeping his cards up, which I expect is the case, or we're gonna try and wing it.

We'll know by January 31st. But it wouldn't make sense to have as light a defence as we have and expect promotion.

I'm still optimistic we'll get players in, other teams have, but the clock is ticking.
marie67
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by marie67 »

White Riot wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:19 pm Maybe BB, he has been subbed off with injuries a few times.

I'm delighted with the job he's done for us and he's been available more than I expected. I get the impression that Our medical team are having to carefully manage him due to a long standing injury, and Farke has alluded to this .

He's been a good short term solution for this season. But if we do get promoted his age and injury record would mean I wouldn't look to sign him permanently.

I would go for Roberts and Mepham right now as we are short at the back. Firpo also picks up his share of injuries and despite being good going forward is an absolute liability defensively.

I would take a punt on someone like Aaron Cresswell, who can defend and is good with set pieces, if we can get him.

Keifer Moore as a battering ram striker could also get us over the line as he offers a physical route one option.

Bamford may kind of offer that too, but will he stay fit and will he perform? I'm not convinced of his durability and confidence based on the strength of him putting in two good performances.

We don't need Brooks, he's a winger and we're overrun with them. He wouldn't get ahead of Rutter for me.

Biggest worry for me is if Rodon gets injured, but Ampadu was brilliant on Sunday, even though the opposition was dross.
Aaron Cresswell is a great shout if we could get him. Even if its on loan for the rest of the season.

Agree re Brooks. He's not a playmaker he's a wide player.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

White Riot wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:06 pm I think we have one shot to achieve promotion MC.

If we don't get up this season then you can expect the top tier teams will swoop in for Summerville, Struijk, Gray, Rutter, Gnonto, etc. We'll need the money as the parachute payments will be reduced.

If we sell Rutter and co then this squad will be significantly weaker and it's gonna be way harder to get promoted.

We're a few good defensive signings away from promotion this season. Either Farke is keeping his cards up, which I expect is the case, or we're gonna try and wing it.

We'll know by January 31st. But it wouldn't make sense to have as light a defence as we have and expect promotion.

I'm still optimistic we'll get players in, other teams have, but the clock is ticking.
100% on all that riot :tup:
Just don't understand the boards thinking !!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

marie67 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:21 pm Aaron Cresswell is a great shout if we could get him. Even if its on loan for the rest of the season.

Agree re Brooks. He's not a playmaker he's a wide player.
Thanks Marie 👍

Yeah, it would have to be a loan for Cresswell, as we're in a position where we don't know where we'll be next season and have enough of a squad overhaul to sort out in the summer.

Cresswell's legs are going, but probably not as badly as Cooper and Ayling's. He can defend well and his set pieces would be a real bonus.

I'm not sure he'd drop down to the Championship though, depends how much he wants to play each week.

I wouldn't put Brooks ahead of Rutter as a playmaker, and as a winger he won't get ahead of Summerville, James and Gnonto. So that's just click bait.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:26 pm 100% on all that riot :tup:
Just don't understand the boards thinking !!
I can only think they are playing it close to their chest. To let Ayling and Spence go should mean they have two full backs ready to bring in.

I still feel a CB and physical striker need to come in too. Bamford has had two decent matches, but he's still an injury prone, unconfident clod hopper for me.

Farke ain't getting the best out of Piroe and won't if he keeps sticking him in midfield.

If we don't recruit defensively then forget going up this season and I for one don't fancy another extended stay in the Championship/League One.

We're about to see how ambitious this board is. Farke is talking recruitment down, but that could well be just a good poker face, as I think they'll back him, and they need to if we want to get back up now.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

White Riot wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:55 pm I can only think they are playing it close to their chest. To let Ayling and Spence go should mean they have two full backs ready to bring in.

I still feel a CB and physical striker need to come in too. Bamford has had two decent matches, but he's still an injury prone, unconfident clod hopper for me.

Farke ain't getting the best out of Piroe and won't if he keeps sticking him in midfield.

If we don't recruit defensively then forget going up this season and I for one don't fancy another extended stay in the Championship/League One.

We're about to see how ambitious this board is. Farke is talking recruitment down, but that could well be just a good poker face, as I think they'll back him, and they need to if we want to get back up now.
Like I say, it's what I'm clinging to, just concerns me why we haven't got anyone in yet though, either we're waiting upon someones medical reports or last minute contract details or we are already treading water, hope it's the former.
Still a long way to go but you'd think we'd have at least one player in by now.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

There's always more going on behind the scenes than we know. Look at how much happened in the last week of the last window.

Must be something happening in regards to defenders/full backs. This week the defensive options look about as good as the attacking options early season. Remember Joffy, Poveda, Shacks all playing up front? Now it's the back that has unforseen issues.

Obvious we had to do what was right in regards to Ayling and Spence. The decision to send Spence back wasn't done on a whim. He was obviously a problem that needed to go. And even now Ayling was 3rd behind Gray and Shackleton. Option at DC but his opportunities were going to be slim. If he wanted to go, we had to let him go.

But that leaves us in a bit of a bind now. Byram and Cooper doubts. Strujik out. Spence and Ayling gone. Cresswell not considered. Back 4 from Gray, Shackleton, Rodon, Ampadu, Firpo (3 of the 5 are midfielders). Byram and Cooper would be a bonus. Hjelde likely to get called up. Certainly we need one or two more incomings.

Can't blame Farke for sending Ayling and Spence out. But can fault him for not managing the Cresswell situation better. He's somebody with a great attitude and loves this club. Doesn't take much to keep someone like that happy. Could have promised him a cup game before it went on record that he wasn't happy.

Anyway. No doubt they're working on two more in. We need a starting full back and we need a 4th choice center back.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Btw happy just to look at defenders. Sign a right back, Archie Gray becomes the proverbial new signing in midfield. And I thought we needed a 10. But we found one in Rutter against Birmingham.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:50 pm There's always more going on behind the scenes than we know. Look at how much happened in the last week of the last window.

Must be something happening in regards to defenders/full backs. This week the defensive options look about as good as the attacking options early season. Remember Joffy, Poveda, Shacks all playing up front? Now it's the back that has unforseen issues.

Obvious we had to do what was right in regards to Ayling and Spence. The decision to send Spence back wasn't done on a whim. He was obviously a problem that needed to go. And even now Ayling was 3rd behind Gray and Shackleton. Option at DC but his opportunities were going to be slim. If he wanted to go, we had to let him go.

But that leaves us in a bit of a bind now. Byram and Cooper doubts. Strujik out. Spence and Ayling gone. Cresswell not considered. Back 4 from Gray, Shackleton, Rodon, Ampadu, Firpo (3 of the 5 are midfielders). Byram and Cooper would be a bonus. Hjelde likely to get called up. Certainly we need one or two more incomings.

Can't blame Farke for sending Ayling and Spence out. But can fault him for not managing the Cresswell situation better. He's somebody with a great attitude and loves this club. Doesn't take much to keep someone like that happy. Could have promised him a cup game before it went on record that he wasn't happy.

Anyway. No doubt they're working on two more in. We need a starting full back and we need a 4th choice center back.
That was quite the rant Farke had about Charlie Cresswell, and I'm pretty shocked 😲

If you watch the full presser, as much as Farke was diplomatic and professional about Luke Ayling, he was the polar opposite with CC.

It seems like this has been festering all season and CC has approached him a number of times about starting. Realistically, Farke is correct in his assessment that Rodon has been outstanding and CC has no chance of starting before him.

Things seem to have come to a head recently though and I think Richard Cresswell has got Farke's hackles up. He looked mad in that presser.

For me this should not be done in public, but Farke feels the need to defend himself and maybe that's an indicator that he's feeling the pressure.

CC is done at Leeds, same as Perkins and Spence. So on the one hand he's showing his expectations, but I just feel he could have managed these situations privately and in a better way.

I also didn't like the way he heaved a sigh of relief when he said "Thank God Meslier is back, and he'll start". That was a real slap in the face for Klaesson, that was unnecessary, as he's done well, and for me should keep the jersey.

Earlier in the campaign he publicly called out Rodon for his card, and punished him by benching him. Yet, nothing said about Meslier and he's guaranteed his starting spot.

These are not good signs, and call into question his man management skills. I already have serious concerns about his ability to manage at EPL level.

I don't think he's covered himself in glory today and it's worrying that he seems to be feeling the pressure.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

White Riot wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:09 pm That was quite the rant Farke had about Charlie Cresswell, and I'm pretty shocked 😲

If you watch the full presser, as much as Farke was diplomatic and professional about Luke Ayling, he was the polar opposite with CC.

It seems like this has been festering all season and CC has approached him a number of times about starting. Realistically, Farke is correct in his assessment that Rodon has been outstanding and CC has no chance of starting before him.

Things seem to have come to a head recently though and I think Richard Cresswell has got Farke's hackles up. He looked mad in that presser.

For me this should not be done in public, but Farke feels the need to defend himself and maybe that's an indicator that he's feeling the pressure.

CC is done at Leeds, same as Perkins and Spence. So on the one hand he's showing his expectations, but I just feel he could have managed these situations privately and in a better way.

I also didn't like the way he heaved a sigh of relief when he said "Thank God Meslier is back, and he'll start". That was a real slap in the face for Klaesson, that was unnecessary, as he's done well, and for me should keep the jersey.

Earlier in the campaign he publicly called out Rodon for his card, and punished him by benching him. Yet, nothing said about Meslier and he's guaranteed his starting spot.

These are not good signs, and call into question his man management skills. I already have serious concerns about his ability to manage at EPL level.

I don't think he's covered himself in glory today and it's worrying that he seems to be feeling the pressure.
I kind of had the same thought about Cresswell's dad. Maybe Farke feels pressure. Sort of a '"we love this club more than you do" thing. It's all been handled badly on both sides. But I do blame Farke. He should have tried to find a way to make CC feel valued.

Disagree on the Meslier comment though. I just read it aa Farke being frustrated that his 2nd choice got injured immediately after Mesliers sending off. Kind of cursing the luck and relieved to have him back.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

White Riot wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:09 pm That was quite the rant Farke had about Charlie Cresswell, and I'm pretty shocked 😲

Maybe he's treating Charlie exactly the way he did Gnonto in the summer, ie. it's my way or rot in no man's land. He's given him the option to leave if he so chooses, or stay on Farke's terms.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:29 pm I kind of had the same thought about Cresswell's dad. Maybe Farke feels pressure. Sort of a '"we love this club more than you do" thing. It's all been handled badly on both sides. But I do blame Farke. He should have tried to find a way to make CC feel valued.

Disagree on the Meslier comment though. I just read it aa Farke being frustrated that his 2nd choice got injured immediately after Mesliers sending off. Kind of cursing the luck and relieved to have him back.
As others have said, maybe CC was given some promises that haven't been fulfilled. But Farke should not be calling him out in public.

Maybe you're right Andrew regarding Meslier. But I'd prefer it if Farke kept players on their toes. Something like it's great to have Ilan back and he's now facing some strong competition for his place from Klaesson.

I don't like players being guaranteed their place as it breeds complacency. Farke himself has said he will select players based on their attitude and performance in training.

The Rodon/Meslier response to their red cards smacks of Farke having favourites to me.

But, admittedly it's not an easy job that he has keeping all these players happy every day.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Carrick Dave wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:37 pm Maybe he's treating Charlie exactly the way he did Gnonto in the summer, ie. it's my way or rot in no man's land. He's given him the option to leave if he so chooses, or stay on Farke's terms.
Yeah, very much so Dave.

That was laying the law down today.

I expect Charlie will leave in this window. There will be plenty of suitors.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

White Riot wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:47 pm Yeah, very much so Dave.

That was laying the law down today.

I expect Charlie will leave in this window. There will be plenty of suitors.
I thing Richard commenting on social media scuppered any chance of keeping things private, hence Farke addressing the situation publicly today.

He's definitely iron fist in velvet glove our Daniel.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Carrick Dave wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:37 pm Maybe he's treating Charlie exactly the way he did Gnonto in the summer, ie. it's my way or rot in no man's land. He's given him the option to leave if he so chooses, or stay on Farke's terms.
Big difference

CC loves the club and wants to play. Gnonto doesn't and refused to play.
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

White Riot wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:44 pm As others have said, maybe CC was given some promises that haven't been fulfilled. But Farke should not be calling him out in public.

Maybe you're right Andrew regarding Meslier. But I'd prefer it if Farke kept players on their toes. Something like it's great to have Ilan back and he's now facing some strong competition for his place from Klaesson.

I don't like players being guaranteed their place as it breeds complacency. Farke himself has said he will select players based on their attitude and performance in training.

The Rodon/Meslier response to their red cards smacks of Farke having favourites to me.

But, admittedly it's not an easy job that he has keeping all these players happy every day.
I think to be fair his hand was forced by his father's social media posts last weekend... no player is bigger than the club and no player has a god given right to play. Manager is paid to make those decisions and I trust him to do so. Just like I trust that he made the right choice with Spence.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Carrick Dave wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:54 pm I thing Richard commenting on social media scuppered any chance of keeping things private, hence Farke addressing the situation publicly today.

He's definitely iron fist in velvet glove our Daniel.
Yeah, he's shown he's got teeth, and maybe that's also a message that he'll back his decisions and won't be intimidated by players, or their agents.

It was telling that when he started the presser he said "I'm ready to rumble". He seemed like he'd made his mind up that this would be met head on if it was brought up.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

herefordbornleedsboy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:12 pm I think to be fair his hand was forced by his father's social media posts last weekend... no player is bigger than the club and no player has a god given right to play. Manager is paid to make those decisions and I trust him to do so. Just like I trust that he made the right choice with Spence.
Fair comment :tup:

Farke seemed intent on hitting back today.

He might have just chosen to say "No comment".

Positions are more entrenched now, and funnily enough we're getting to be light on CBs.