Rotherham Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Rotherham Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Kennyb41 »

The Subhuman wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:07 pm Wonder if we'll "rest" anyone considering the Wales game 3 days earlier

Gnonto for James?
Gruev for Ampadu?

Doubt we'll rest Rodon
He's already had one lesson for 'resting' some and he should heed it, he's a feckin idiot if he 'rests' any now after Stoke, unless it's absolutely categorically 100% necessary, and even then i wouldn't do it.

Just 1 player disrupting his best 11 is enough atm, Pascals hernia would be my only concern, with the addition of Cooper not making much difference at all in his place so i'd rest him.

Keep the rest on the boil, and if anything - use your subs wisely.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

What is our record after an international break? I keep meaning to look it up but just cba.
My gut feeling is it’s quite poor.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Please .......NO Bamford . Rutter injured and talk of Bamford coming in , I really do hope not .
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Jaydog wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:27 am What is our record after an international break? I keep meaning to look it up but just cba.
My gut feeling is it’s quite poor.
Has there been 2?
If so we won both games back after a break.
3-2 @ Norwich & 3-0 @ Millwall.
So Rotherham away after a break. 3-1.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:49 am He's already had one lesson for 'resting' some and he should heed it, he's a feckin idiot if he 'rests' any now after Stoke, unless it's absolutely categorically 100% necessary, and even then i wouldn't do it.

Just 1 player disrupting his best 11 is enough atm, Pascals hernia would be my only concern, with the addition of Cooper not making much difference at all in his place so i'd rest him.

Keep the rest on the boil, and if anything - use your subs wisely.
Totally agree.

This league can bite you on the derrière at any time.

If we are serious about automatic promotion we cannot afford to throttle back against the lower teams.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:07 am Totally agree.

This league can bite you on the derrière at any time.

If we are serious about automatic promotion we cannot afford to throttle back against the lower teams.
I'm currently of the feeling DF's found his best starting 11, now that 11 is good enough to challenge for promotion.

To me when we have to start tinkering it goes like this :

1 change - We're ok.
3 changes - We're a top half of the Championship team.
5 changes - We're relegation material.

Catch my drift :duno:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:22 am I'm currently of the feeling DF's found his best starting 11, now that 11 is good enough to challenge for promotion.

1 change - We're ok.

I agree!

Stoke was a prime example with three changes.

Rodon, James, Summerville & Rutter (deceptively quick), take those with pace out of our team & it creates problems.
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:22 am I'm currently of the feeling DF's found his best starting 11, now that 11 is good enough to challenge for promotion.

1 change - We're ok.

I would tend to agree but imagine this could be said for most teams worldwide in any league bar a few examples.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

We are in a position at the moment were if we have to play without 1 or 2 of our better players we will struggle, and that shouldn't be the case. But it is that way because of what we had to deal with from the very start of the season, not knowing who or how many players we were going to have. Our squad depth is poor, especially if we see ourselves as genuine promotion material ( which i think we are ) so its important that we do good deals in January be they loans or buys.
We have to hope until then that we can hang on to the coattails of those above us and see how things turn out after January. Cant afford slip ups against poor sides like Rotherham.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

To be honest, we don’t know how we will fare if we loose a couple of key players. Early season form and the Southampton game aside we haven’t that much to go on. We have quality at this level right through the team. Let’s not hit the panic button before we actually have a drama to contend with.
Scooby - how you can offer an opinion of Gruev, whether positive or negative based on the few mins he has played is to me unjustified. He is the natural squad replacement for Ampadu. He clearly isn’t better than Amps otherwise he would starting, but best to wait until we have seen him properly before writing him off.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

I doubt he’ll rest Ampadu, but if he does, he can put Archie in that slot, Gruev needs time but I don’t know about starting him yet, we need to go at Rotherham from the off, not let them dictate the pace of the game, this game isn’t just winnable it’s winnable by a margin.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Coming back after the International break is always a tricky week. I can't say i have watched Rotherham so i don't know what to expect. I presuming it will be the usual set-piece plan from them. So as long as we keep the ball and use it well hopefully we should be ok. Rutter potentially out will creatively be a blow but moving Piroe up top and bringing in Willy or Antony would be my choice.

Altho i doubt he will play Spence coming back is massive. It frees up Archie to help cover the midfield. Amps will need a refresh at some point and its early days with Gruev. Coops to cover for Pascal. This will be a Coops type of game so he should be ok. I haven't heard much on Byram but Shacks to come in there would be my choice.

They are rudderless but will be up for trying to derail the best team in Yorkshire. (i'm including su in that) Keep the ball well, take our chances and defend the odd set-piece they get. 0.3 Simples. :shhh:
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

DDB220 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:12 pm To be honest, we don’t know how we will fare if we loose a couple of key players. Early season form and the Southampton game aside we haven’t that much to go on. We have quality at this level right through the team. Let’s not hit the panic button before we actually have a drama to contend with.
Scooby - how you can offer an opinion of Gruev, whether positive or negative based on the few mins he has played is to me unjustified. He is the natural squad replacement for Ampadu. He clearly isn’t better than Amps otherwise he would starting, but best to wait until we have seen him properly before writing him off.
Not sure bout that, we've got plenty to go on now.

We were in a state, barely 11 players and no subs, picking through the bones of inheritance.
He's laid his preferred style of play out for us all to see.
He took the game to the 2nd best team and won, and that whilst not having this best current 11.
He tried rotation and got unlucky, but we all saw how much it affected us.
He's moved players like Archie around, along with the front 4.
He's slowly integrated Kamara.
We got a lesson in how not to do things v Soton,
And perhaps the biggest indicator of how far we've come, was the all-round team effort and performance away at Leicester, where i thought at the time prior to k/o 'this is a proper barometer of where we're at.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:11 pm I doubt he’ll rest Ampadu, but if he does, he can put Archie in that slot, Gruev needs time but I don’t know about starting him yet, we need to go at Rotherham from the off, not let them dictate the pace of the game, this game isn’t just winnable it’s winnable by a margin.
I might've agreed it should be comfortable prior to them sacking the manager (have they got a new one yet ?)

But a derby game, they desperately need points, and players now under new orders from a different guy?

Throws up a few sticking points for me, we could still easily batter them, but they're gonna be up for a game.

;@)
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:34 pm I might've agreed it should be comfortable prior to them sacking the manager (have they got a new one yet ?)

But a derby game, they desperately need points, and players now under new orders from a different guy?

Throws up a few sticking points for me, we could still easily batter them, but they're gonna be up for a game.
We need to start with our best 11, take the game to them, not dick around trying new players out etc, get the goals then think about resting a few, if we sit back and let them come at us with 2 or 3 different starters I’ll be a bit annoyed.
They ought to be be able to lake 2 games a week at their age and fitness levels and diets, christ, I used to lake 2 games in a mornin after the milk round, 3 in the afternoon, do a paper round, nip in for me tea, infact we couldn’t afford the e and a, we just had T, and then laked another 2 games in the dark under a gas lamp on gravel,
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:55 pm We need to start with our best 11, take the game to them, not dick around trying new players out etc, get the goals then think about resting a few, if we sit back and let them come at us with 2 or 3 different starters I’ll be a bit annoyed.
They ought to be be able to lake 2 games a week at their age and fitness levels and diets, christ, I used to lake 2 games in a mornin after the milk round, 3 in the afternoon, do a paper round, nip in for me tea, infact we couldn’t afford the e and a, we just had T, and then laked another 2 games in the dark under a gas lamp on gravel,
Yeah, similar.

;@)
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:55 pm We need to start with our best 11, take the game to them, not dick around trying new players out etc, get the goals then think about resting a few, if we sit back and let them come at us with 2 or 3 different starters I’ll be a bit annoyed.
Piroe or Bamford?

Shacks or Firpo?

It depends how you see our best 11.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Piroe and shacks
Firpo shouldn’t be on the bench imho
Leighton
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Leighton »

Leeds1000 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:25 pm. I can't say i have watched Rotherham so i don't know what to expect. I presuming it will be the usual set-piece plan from them.
My mates a Watford fans who went to their shellacking....he says they were beyond awful
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Meslier
Gray
Byram
Ampadu
Rodon
Cooper
Summerville
Kamara
Rutter (or Piroe)
Piroe (or Gnonto)
James

Darlow
Spence
Cresswell
Gruev
Shackleton
Gnonto
Bamford
Joseph
Anthony
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"