Summer 23/24 transfer and squad discussion thread.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Summer 23/24 transfer and squad discussion thread.

Post by GreennWhite »

The remaining week of the transfer window is going to be very interesting. I would imagine we will be linked with a lot of players between now and then. Until we see them in a Leeds shirt and at Elland Road and signing on the dotted line i wont take too much as gospel.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

After today's game just readjusting a little

1. We certainly need a midfielder who can play the 8 or the 10 (Klich would have been handy). Sounds like that was what we identified in Amiri. It would be nice for us to have that extra midfielder in the squad. Plus give Farke the option of playing either an attacker or a midfielder in the 10.

2. We need a bona fide left back. It's obvious now why he tried to sign Aarons. He can play both FB sides. Byram getting injured left us with 3 makeshift options (Hjelde, Drameh, Shackleton). We need a recognized LB. That frees up Byram's versatility to play a number of other roles.

Outgoing

We can still afford to lose one of our wingers. Sinsiterra, Gnonto, Rutter, Summerville, James, Poveda basically cover 2 positions. Potentially one of them in the 10. We have 4 options at striker. So plenty across all the attacking positions. I'd be OK selling one to cover the 8/10 above.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

We should be looking to sign Sam Curtis from St Pat's :tup: He's wanted by most of the top clubs, but at least we could offer a first team route. We haven't had an Irish player for a very long time either.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:33 pm After today's game just readjusting a little

1. We certainly need a midfielder who can play the 8 or the 10 (Klich would have been handy). Sounds like that was what we identified in Amiri. It would be nice for us to have that extra midfielder in the squad. Plus give Farke the option of playing either an attacker or a midfielder in the 10.

2. We need a bona fide left back. It's obvious now why he tried to sign Aarons. He can play both FB sides. Byram getting injured left us with 3 makeshift options (Hjelde, Drameh, Shackleton). We need a recognized LB. That frees up Byram's versatility to play a number of other roles.

Outgoing

We can still afford to lose one of our wingers. Sinsiterra, Gnonto, Rutter, Summerville, James, Poveda basically cover 2 positions. Potentially one of them in the 10. We have 4 options at striker. So plenty across all the attacking positions. I'd be OK selling one to cover the 8/10 above.
Think we require 2 cms as a minimum

Still feel a proper 10 and a player able to be our 8.

Ideally the 8 can cover for Ampadu as well.

Probably need all 3, a 10, a 8 and a backup 4.

Full back though on both sides as well.

Right back and left back.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:48 pm Think we require 2 cms as a minimum

Still feel a proper 10 and a player able to be our 8.

Ideally the 8 can cover for Ampadu as well.

Probably need all 3, a 10, a 8 and a backup 4.

Full back though on both sides as well.

Right back and left back.
You're shopping with a Gold Amex. I'm shopping with my overdraft.

I agree on all points. Would be nice if we could get a good signing in every position.

But, unless we've got unlimited funds I'm looking for 4 players who can play 2 positions.

That said, I would agree (additional to my 2 signings) that we need cover for Ampadu. Wonder if Byram can play there?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

We need a CM more than anything. As good as Archie Gray is, we can't expect a 17-year-old to play all 46 games. And if Ampadu is injured, we have no cover.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

SG90 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:54 pm We need a CM more than anything. As good as Archie Gray is, we can't expect a 17-year-old to play all 46 games. And if Ampadu is injured, we have no cover.
Agreed. I was saying an 8 that clan play 10. Cjay says cover for Ampadu too. So we probably need 2 players that can cover the DMC-MC-AMC
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:00 pm Agreed. I was saying an 8 that clan play 10. Cjay says cover for Ampadu too. So we probably need 2 players that can cover the DMC-MC-AMC
James McAtee on loan and then a DM. Then we can loan out Gyabi and Bate to gain more first team football.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

SG90 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:10 pm James McAtee on loan and then a DM. Then we can loan out Gyabi and Bate to gain more first team football.
I still think we're heavy on wingers. Could generate some money selling one.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:38 am It's no coincidence, three of our coaches haven't put their faith in Drameh, including Bielsa & Farke our two excellent coaches of the modern-era.
We don't know about Farke but I'd not think that was true. Good you rate Marsch/Gracia and Alladyce highly as judges of talent.. None of those rated Gnonto either ... or Summerville. So it's kind of a positive that 3 managers with very suspect judgement get Drameh wrong
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:10 pm James McAtee on loan and then a DM. Then we can loan out Gyabi and Bate to gain more first team football.
Can we still loan abroad? I'd hate to give a rival Gyabi and he'd learn more for our 21's than in Lg one or two ... Thought he did well today in very little time. I think some people are thinking we're still playing in the prem...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:16 pm We don't know about Farke but I'd not think that was true. Good you rate Marsch/Gracia and Alladyce highly as judges of talent.. None of those rated Gnonto either ... or Summerville. So it's kind of a positive that 3 managers with very suspect judgement get Drameh wrong
That's not true, Marsch gave Gnonto and Summervlle plenty of game time.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:13 pm I still think we're heavy on wingers. Could generate some money selling one.
Hence why I'd sell James
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

SG90 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:21 pm Hence why I'd sell James
Not my thought. But fair game :)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:21 pm That's not true, Marsch gave Gnonto and Summervlle plenty of game time.
You're a Marsch truther I know so I won't counter the argument ...
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:31 pm You're a Marsch truther I know so I won't counter the argument ...
Just pointing out the facts that get deleted because it doesn't fit certain agendas on here.
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

Glen Kamara would seem a no brainer for 5 mil to bolster the midfield.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Aussieleeds wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:40 am Glen Kamara would seem a no brainer for 5 mil to bolster the midfield.
Agreed
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

Aussieleeds wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:40 am Glen Kamara would seem a no brainer for 5 mil to bolster the midfield.
Fabrizio Romano has said we have officially bid for him now. Personal terms agreed. Expected to go through this week.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

German media says we have made a bid for Japanese midfielder Ao Tanaka.

Plays in the Bundesliga 2.

Chant is obvious
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom