Accrington Stanley 1-3 Leeds Utd - Match Debate

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Accrington Stanley 1-3 Leeds Utd - Match Debate

Post by Kennyb41 »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:32 am I don't disagree with that John. I see Aaronson's future in the midfield for Leeds. He describes himself as a Number 8. If you go back and look at how he played for Philadelphia Union he was a box to box midfielder most of the time. Something like this:

------------------------------Mesler-----------------------------
Ayling---------Koch-----------------Worber-------Struijk
------------------------------Adams-----------------------------
---------McKennie-------------------------Aaronson-------
Giorginio---------------Rodrigo-------------------Gnonto
Interesting you have Rodrigo in front of PB
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:01 am I don't disagree with this either Tourist. Harrison could play in the Roca/Aaronson spot on the left side.
I disagree with you, Tourist, only when you say that Aaronson is a long way away. His last two or three games have actually been decent. Not up to the standard he set during the first few weeks of the season, but a sign that he's headed back in that direction.

I think that you have it right with your formation, Paul, simply because it allows us to get our eleven strongest players on the pitch. Even with your alignment Harrison, Summerville, Sinisterra and (especially) Bamford are on the bench (although I would probably start Paddy over Rodrigo at the moment).

I believe we're building something here.

Rodrigo, Bamford, Ayling, and Koch are the only players on the depth chart over the age of 25, and pretty much all the youngsters are signed for the next few years. Still work to be done, of course, but I get the same feeling watching this club as I got watching Arsenal during the first half of last year (not that I think we're bound for the top of the table). A lot of young players, a great deal of talent, and some difficulty putting it all together. And although I didn't think they'd be as good as they are, over the second half of last season I could see Arsenal were going to be very good this year.

I may be whistling past the graveyard, but I'm looking forward to the second half of this season. I'm optimistic something similar is brewing here.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

weasel wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:37 pm What position did Aaronsen play for RB's under JM and under other managers?
He typically played in one of the attacking positions. Much like he is playing for us. In Champion's League matches Jesse often deployed in a 4-4-2 Diamond with Aaronson playing as the tip behind two strikers. In Philadelphia he often played in a 4-4-2 on the left or right side of midfield. Or he would play the left or right attacking position in a 4-2-3-1.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:02 pm Interesting you have Rodrigo in front of PB
That squad was posted for demonstration purposes only Kenny. I actually do rate Bamford ahead of Rodrigo when he's fit. And right now the trend looks good. The difference in quality between a fully fit Bamford and Rodrigo is plain to see.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:41 pm I disagree with you, Tourist, only when you say that Aaronson is a long way away. His last two or three games have actually been decent. Not up to the standard he set during the first few weeks of the season, but a sign that he's headed back in that direction.

I think that you have it right with your formation, Paul, simply because it allows us to get our eleven strongest players on the pitch. Even with your alignment Harrison, Summerville, Sinisterra and (especially) Bamford are on the bench (although I would probably start Paddy over Rodrigo at the moment).

I believe we're building something here.

Rodrigo, Bamford, Ayling, and Koch are the only players on the depth chart over the age of 25, and pretty much all the youngsters are signed for the next few years. Still work to be done, of course, but I get the same feeling watching this club as I got watching Arsenal during the first half of last year (not that I think we're bound for the top of the table). A lot of young players, a great deal of talent, and some difficulty putting it all together. And although I didn't think they'd be as good as they are, over the second half of last season I could see Arsenal were going to be very good this year.

I may be whistling past the graveyard, but I'm looking forward to the second half of this season. I'm optimistic something similar is brewing here.
As I mentioned in another reply Jesse often deployed a 4-4-2 Diamond in the Champion's League while at Salzburg. I think we tried to play that yesterday against Accrington Stanley. It just didn't work with the players we had available. But that is another option that would allow us to get our best players on the pitch.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I thought yesterday was more like 4 -1-3-2
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa