Jesse Marsch

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79084
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Marsch Out

Post by The Subhuman »

Probably a good thing we didn't blow a lot of money building a team for an very inexperienced manager. He was given a lot of nice new peices to play with, peices he asked for from clubs he previously managed
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3891
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am

Re: Marsch Out

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

weasel wrote: ↑Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:08 pm If Marsch is sacked it would be 4 managerial appointments made by Orta that have been sacked - TC, PH, MB all hired and fired.
That's a pretty damning statistic.
User avatar
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 6760
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: Marsch Out

Post by Carrick Dave »

weasel wrote: ↑Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:08 pm If Marsch is sacked it would be 4 managerial appointments made by Orta that have been sacked - TC, PH, MB all hired and fired.
Apparently the perceived wisdom is that any PL manager is 5 bad results from the sack. So hardly surprising.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Marsch Out

Post by Jaydog »

Cjay wrote: ↑Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:17 pm We looked at Valverde before Marsch.

He won't come now no.

But back then I think he may
When I looked at the betting well before the Marsch appointment I prayed for Valverde. I never believed he’d come though
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41733
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Marsch Out

Post by Cjay »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:38 pm When I looked at the betting well before the Marsch appointment I prayed for Valverde. I never believed he’d come though
So did I :)

I never did either.

But I hoped.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19703
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Marsch Out

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: ↑Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:24 pm Weasel is about the best analyst here, there's a lack of bias in most of his posts even if we disagree a fair bit I will always read his posts because they're not agenda driven (Yes like me he's a Bielsa truther but it's an unbiased version. Sara also top quality (I expect I'll get pulled up for giving the fairer sex a nod like last time but they'll get told to f**k off as usual)) Maybe no surprise he's managed and I've coached/scouted in the past (For me it was at U13/14/15 level)
You'll make me blush - would say similar about yourself. I like reading your posts, there have been times where we haven't agreed on anything for ages yet it doesn't diminish my regard for your opinions.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79084
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Marsch Out

Post by The Subhuman »

:tup: 8-)
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 6760
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: Marsch Out

Post by Carrick Dave »

weasel wrote: ↑Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:55 pm You'll make me blush - would say similar about yourself. I like reading your posts, there have been times where we haven't agreed on anything for ages yet it doesn't diminish my regard for your opinions.
Get a room ffs. :)
DDB220
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7076
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am

Re: Marsch Out

Post by DDB220 »

I am not clambering for Marsch to go just yet. I may be on my own as I see merit in his style. Plus I am not sure there is an obvious replacement who could do any better right now. Personally I think he will be with us until the WC break. If we are still loitering in the bottom 5 etc they may act at that point. We haven’t been turned over like we were under Bielsa.
It is our lack of goals which is our biggest current issue - and a defensive clangers which are more associated to inexplicable player error more than the defensive system.

Whist his selections are sometimes head scratchers as are the subs there are always other issues and considerations which affect decision making which we are not privy to.

I want the fella to succeed I do not share the suggestion that he is tactically naive or out of his depth. He needs results big time that is for certain, he cannot afford to lose our next match - that is for certain.
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Marsch Out

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

faaip wrote: ↑Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:24 pm I'ts a very small degree, and I can't imagine what it could be, CJay. I'm a Leeds fan, a next man up believer, I don't like picking on players doing their best. (I speak without bias, (I've actually been positive about Paddy as he started the season as sharp as I've ever seen him)) and I'll criticize players who commit errors, like Kristensen early season and Roca/Koch tonight. But they'll get a fresh set of eyes next time up, I won't do what most do here and stick blinkers on and pick a scapegoat irrespective of form

Weasel is about the best analyst here, there's a lack of bias in most of his posts even if we disagree a fair bit I will always read his posts because they're not agenda driven (Yes like me he's a Bielsa truther but it's an unbiased version. Sara also top quality (I expect I'll get pulled up for giving the fairer sex a nod like last time but they'll get told to f**k off as usual)) Maybe no surprise he's managed and I've coached/scouted in the past (For me it was at U13/14/15 level)

I know it comes down to the manager first and foremost, right manager we have a top 10 squad, no f**king clue who that manager might be as it's not my job to know... But a good manager gets the individuals to play as a team and we're just not playing as a team atm... Maybe JM's system is too complicated, needs to many moving parts to mesh, I don't know. What I do know is thsi hoofball with the intent to win second possession with a high press is way too easily turned, we're too narrow, the movement non existant at times, that's not the players it's the manager! We could have added a 20 goal striker, a left back and a couple of depth peices but IMO the results would be the same.



See, can't leave it....
Very much with you. We have a good squad. A couple of holes. But it's a managers job to exploit your strengths and cover your weaknesses.

I get that Jesse has a system. And that not all players fit that system. Good managers make the best of what they have.
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41733
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Marsch Out

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: ↑Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:24 pm I'ts a very small degree, and I can't imagine what it could be, CJay. I'm a Leeds fan, a next man up believer, I don't like picking on players doing their best. (I speak without bias, (I've actually been positive about Paddy as he started the season as sharp as I've ever seen him)) and I'll criticize players who commit errors, like Kristensen early season and Roca/Koch tonight. But they'll get a fresh set of eyes next time up, I won't do what most do here and stick blinkers on and pick a scapegoat irrespective of form

Weasel is about the best analyst here, there's a lack of bias in most of his posts even if we disagree a fair bit I will always read his posts because they're not agenda driven (Yes like me he's a Bielsa truther but it's an unbiased version. Sara also top quality (I expect I'll get pulled up for giving the fairer sex a nod like last time but they'll get told to f**k off as usual)) Maybe no surprise he's managed and I've coached/scouted in the past (For me it was at U13/14/15 level)

I know it comes down to the manager first and foremost, right manager we have a top 10 squad, no f**king clue who that manager might be as it's not my job to know... But a good manager gets the individuals to play as a team and we're just not playing as a team atm... Maybe JM's system is too complicated, needs to many moving parts to mesh, I don't know. What I do know is thsi hoofball with the intent to win second possession with a high press is way too easily turned, we're too narrow, the movement non existant at times, that's not the players it's the manager! We could have added a 20 goal striker, a left back and a couple of depth peices but IMO the results would be the same.



See, can't leave it....
Feel better? :)

I'll tell you.

I agree that you can't change a squad in 1 season, but then we shouldn't have purposely done as little as possible in the 2nd season.

And I agree that a manager should adapt to what he has.

But truth be told most managers don't, they have a style and a way of playing, few managers ever chop and change styles.

Bielsa himself said as much regarding himself, managers stick with a philosophy regardless.

I don't believe in criticising players for the sake of it but I don't think simply trying there best is a reason to not criticise poor performances. I've praised players in the past I don't rate for good moments and criticised for bad, simple as that.

See we are close on another agreement regarding the style as well, on a roll here. I agree with much of what you say about the style, said as much before Marsch arrived.

We do disagree on the squad, that won't change.

We have never agreed on much ever (apart from Klich) but I do respect your view regardless of whether I agree, should say that.

I respect anyone who has conviction in there belief or view even if it isnt mine.

Doesn't mean I agree or change mine or whatever and will still argue or should say debate.

But it isn't a lack of respect etc

I've never scouted, did a bit of coaching work in the past briefly (kids like you) and did have an opportunity to go into it a bit more but never did.

Should have done as I am very passionate about that sort of thing and I do have a lot of interest in tactics and style and coaching philosophy and whatnot and have researched huge amounts and written projects and stuff on it (for my own enjoyment nothing workrelated or published or anything like that).

But I do consider myself a football geek :)

Anyway we do agree on parts here, bits and bobs.

But Weasel is the 2nd best analyst on here, number 1 is me 8-)
Last edited by Cjay on Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41733
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Marsch Out

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: ↑Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:55 pm You'll make me blush - would say similar about yourself. I like reading your posts, there have been times where we haven't agreed on anything for ages yet it doesn't diminish my regard for your opinions.
He's not going to shag you . . . . .Tiz what they say on twitter to this sort of post :roflmao:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41733
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch post Leicester

Post by Cjay »

Didn't realise but after after game Marsch didn't go over to the fans (players and assistants did).
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Marsch Out

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: ↑Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:20 pm Typical Yank? Just f**k off with that bullshit. How about he's just not been good enough? Or do you really need to include your anti-Americanism in there.
Echo that
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Marsch Out

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Carrick Dave wrote: ↑Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:24 pm Marsch looked haggard in the post-match tonight, and defeated on the touchline during the game instead of being his usual ebullient self.

Maybe he knows something we don’t.
Didn't see the post match but looked pretty clueless when he was talking to Maric on the touchline
User avatar
Kennyb41
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 12426
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Re: Marsch Out

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jeez Weasel when will some realise just how much Bert did, and when will some realise ALL our success with ALL the terrible squad he inherited is solely down to him, i stated it all yonks and yonks back.

1. Radz knows nothing about footy and in appointing Orta he thought he was getting the best and couldn't fail.

2. Orta finds out from other sources that Bert could be the man, and gets lucky with his silver tongue that Bert accepts.

3. Bert starts a clear out of ALL the dross and sets about raising his own money coz we're skint - selling who he feels he can't work with, but must retain some or he'll have nobody left at all to work with.

4. Bert works miracles thus pulling Orta out the shite along the way, also pulling Radz out as well for good measure.

ORTA IS THE GUY WE URGENTLY NEED TO MOVE ON, AND YES WE NEED NEW OWNERS ASAP.

BUT MORE THAN ANYTHING WE NEED BERT BACK.

He is the only guy on the planet that can get us closest to our dreams on a very limited budget, but he will never do it as long as Orta is doing the recruitment.

Just think about ALL the shite Orta has brought him, he HAD to accept something at some point (Kiko Firpo etc) coz we were desperate and Bert didn't have the time to go scouting, there's absolutely no way a man of such calibre wanted those shite players, who knows - Orta might,ve insisted he was right about them and forced them on him, Jeez Bert must've got sick of saying " no he's fcking garbage"
Thus insulting Orta's judgement, and we ALL know what he's like when it comes to personal insults.

Use your brains guys, ALL our success is down to Bert....AND ORTA IS THE MAN THAT'S PULLING THE STRINGS AND IS FCKING USELESS !!!
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek: ...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it :lol: " - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
User avatar
Kennyb41
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 12426
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Re: Jesse Marsch post Leicester

Post by Kennyb41 »

Seems to have an excuse for everything, along the lines of - We kept their chances down and - We need to find a way to hit that net thing.

Smell the coffee Jess.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek: ...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it :lol: " - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155330
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Marsch Out

Post by 1964white »

Why make an additional change at the back on top of the enforced one after we had conceded only two goals in our last three games. Llorente returning totally unsettled Koch, our best CB this season.

What has that change & subbing done for Robin's confidence?

He should go for that crazy decision alone.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79084
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Marsch Out

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: ↑Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:46 am Why make an additional change at the back on top of the enforced one after we had conceded only two goals in our last three games. Llorente returning totally unsettled Koch, our best CB this season.

What has that change & subbing done for Robin's confidence?

He should go for that crazy decision alone.
We said it before he actually played his first game for us, we've said it numerous times since. His previous club worked it out. Llorente can't play left side central defence.. Then, I know we play 3 games in 8 days but we just had a one month break, players shouldn't need resting. So why was Coop left out?

Marsch then compounded the error by moving Llorente back to his favoured right side where he hasn't played this season and taking off Koch. Now I know Koch was on a yellow but you cannot second guess a second yellow, that way madness lies. Especially as Koch didn't look like he was likely to get a second yellow... OK we didn't concede after but still another JM baffling desision for me
Last edited by The Subhuman on Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Marsch Out

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: ↑Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:46 am Why make an additional change at the back on top of the enforced one after we had conceded only two goals in our last three games. Llorente returning totally unsettled Koch, our best CB this season.

What has that change & subbing done for Robin's confidence?

He should go for that crazy decision alone.
It’s suggested he’s not pushing Cooper for 3 games in 8 days. If he’s fit why not. We went from a solid back 4 to s**t show.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
Post Reply