Leeds United v Fulham FC - MATCH THREAD - Cooper & Rodrigo in for Struijk & Hernandez

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds United v Fulham FC - MATCH THREAD - Cooper & Rodrigo in for Struijk & Hernandez

Post by Smudge3920 »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:23 pm 3 points. Only 37 more to get to ensure Prem Status next season (I think)
Positive I like it... :-D
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Re: Leeds United v Fulham FC - MATCH THREAD - Cooper & Rodrigo in for Struijk & Hernandez

Post by WhiteRose »

I couldn't watch the game but listened to it, which is torture especially as I dont find the commentary to be particularly good at describing the action. What was going on defensively? Did we relax a little at 4 -1 up? Most on here seem to say koch and cooper played well so were we just caught out?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:23 pm 3 points. Only 37 more to get to ensure Prem Status next season (I think)
If we win all our home games 4-3 and lose all our away games 4-3, that will put us on 57 points.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Yeah 40 total should do it.

You know, folks, we have to remember that every game we play is going to be tough. Expect heart surgeons to be in high demand until survival is guaranteed.
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

bloody hell, think the nhs will have to invest a lot more money into jimmys cardiology department if thats what we get every week.

Still, we are in top 10 in pl......long may we stay there!
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

WhiteRose wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:25 pm I couldn't watch the game but listened to it, which is torture especially as I dont find the commentary to be particularly good at describing the action. What was going on defensively? Did we relax a little at 4 -1 up? Most on here seem to say koch and cooper played well so were we just caught out?
Fulham's second was a sloppy gap left in our defence. Harrison hadn't come back to cover their RB (?), forcing Dallas to drift wider to compensate. For their third, Harrison hadn't got back down the pitch in time to block or put off the cross, but it was a classic Mitrovich goal and you'll always fancy him in the air at that distance against most defenders.
visitingvillan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by visitingvillan »

Target is always 40 points, but I would be very surprised if it took anywhere near that to survive. WBA and Fulham look very pretty bad already and neither has really upgraded in the transfer markets (Fulham bought 3 full backs plus gave a new contract to Bryan which is a mystery to me)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Koch played really well at the back. If anyone looked a little off it was Cooper. But we could give him a break since he's had no Leeds preseason and played one game for Scotland 2 weeks ago. We need to organize at the back for the 2nd goal (where it was threaded into the lane between Cooper and Dallas). You'd think in that situation Phillips pushes back and Cooper goes wider. Not sure where the breakdown happened.

Phillips had a rough game today but he didn't come out of it badly. Run ragged and forced to throw himself around a lot in separation but combattant all the way. That's my piece on the defence - I thought Ayling and Dallas played OK.

Klich was great in the middle. With Phillips pinned back he kind of got the run of the middle and used it really well. Looks every bit a quality premiership box to box midfielder. Costa was brilliant. Bamford was excellent. I thought Rodrigo, Roberts, and Alioski all dod their jobs well. Rodrigo had a decent first half but he's still finding his way in. I think he could play the 10 ahead of Pablo.

Harrison was missing today but a lot of it was down to the way we played. We didn't do much down the left (although Harrison flicked on to Bamford for the assist) and our focus was much more Costa down the right.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

HarryofOz wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:25 pm If we win all our home games 4-3 and lose all our away games 4-3, that will put us on 57 points.
And I'll have a heart attack. Still beats watching George Graham's Leeds
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

mothbanquet wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:29 pm Fulham's second was a sloppy gap left in our defence. Harrison hadn't come back to cover their RB (?), forcing Dallas to drift wider to compensate. For their third, Harrison hadn't got back down the pitch in time to block or put off the cross, but it was a classic Mitrovich goal and you'll always fancy him in the air at that distance against most defenders.
Youre probably right. My take had been that Phiilips fills in the middle and Cooper goes out wider. But I like you're take on it better
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Scoobychief wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:57 pm JUST by the skin of our teeth.. we need new blood still 3 players, a keeper, midfielder, another cb.. may have blown 27m on a donkey in rodrigo
Full Spanish international who scores against Germany in the nation's League. I would strenuously disagree with your assessment.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Bielsa in the press conference:

Conceded seven goals in last two games - concerned?
We are worried.

How do you hope to resolve those worries?
It’s not like thing we don’t expect to happen. The goals we have received there is nothing surprising in conceding these type of goals. As the competition goes on I think we will be able to improve our defence. We will identify why these errors happened and work on stopping these difficulties happening again.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:32 pm And I'll have a heart attack. Still beats watching George Graham's Leeds
That's for sure.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

rab_rant wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:34 pm Full Spanish international who scores against Germany in the nation's League. I would strenuously disagree with your assessment.
Absolutely. He played a nice role in the first half, but came off because he'd just run his balls off for 90 on Wdnesday. He's working his way in. Still only been at the club 12 days and played 30+90+45 already
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:35 pm Bielsa in the press conference:

Conceded seven goals in last two games - concerned?
We are worried.

How do you hope to resolve those worries?
It’s not like thing we don’t expect to happen. The goals we have received there is nothing surprising in conceding these type of goals. As the competition goes on I think we will be able to improve our defence. We will identify why these errors happened and work on stopping these difficulties happening again.
A smart man is our Bielsa.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

mothbanquet wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:26 pm Yeah 40 total should do it.

You know, folks, we have to remember that every game we play is going to be tough. Expect heart surgeons to be in high demand until survival is guaranteed.
from our position in the league at the moment we have champions League form... can't complain can we?
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

:notes: :note: :mic: No-one at the back, Bamford in attack, Leeds are staying in the premier leeeeagueeee... :notes: :note:
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:37 pm Absolutely. He played a nice role in the first half, but came off because he'd just run his balls off for 90 on Wdnesday. He's working his way in. Still only been at the club 12 days and played 30+90+45 already
Agree I was impressed with his work rate.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

That was exciting wasn't it? Some great goals scored again. I think at 4-1 we maybe relaxed a little and Fulham took their chances well and made a fist of it. We seem to be producing the finishing in the PL that eluded us at times in the Championship, long may it continue.

Forget defending, we attack attack attack. So far so good as both Liverpool and Fulham attacked aswell. First 3 points. I still have concerns but a great start by the lads. On On On
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Always felt we would struggle against their two DFMs and so it proved, time and again they regained possession when we tried to run instead of pass through them. Most of our joy came out wide, what a run by Bamford for the goal and then Dallas broke down that side as well. We look better on the wings this season over last as there is more space to work with.

KPs had a torrid time but losing Pablo so near to KO was a huge blow. At times he couldn't find an out ball.

We all knew that Bogusz wouldn't get on so imo that was a place on the bench wasted.

But we were good for spells of the game and clinical in front of goal.

Points in the bag and the nerves frayed to the bone.

But it is Saturday night, we will be chatting to friends on zoom while getting to know a nice single malt I picked up from the offy.

Lovely
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa