Leeds v Newcastle Match Thread - Unchanged starting XI to face Magpies

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds v Newcastle Match Thread - Unchanged starting XI to face Magpies

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:51 pm I think both Phillips & Klich are on 4 yellow cards :(
Yes, I checked and they're both on 4.

Dallas and Cooper have 3 each.

I believe the yellow cards reset on December 31st, but couldn't find any confirmation of this.

5 yellows = 1 match ban

https://www.skysports.com/leeds-united-stats
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Great performance last night and the whole team contributed.

The big concern still is that we're giving away lots of needless free-kicks, and are terrible at defending set-pieces and crosses.

That poor defending allowed Newcastle two easy goals and kept them in a match they didn't deserve to get anything from.

First half we should have been more clinical in front of goal.

Our set-piece taking is also horrendous, they got a corner from KP's corner and then show us how you score from set-pieces.

Defo need this sorted as its just gifting goals and points to teams that don't deserve them.

Other than that we were fantastic.

Defending will improve when Llorente gets back and especially when Koch and Llorente are our CBs.

Onward to the Scumbags :)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:32 am Great performance last night and the whole team contributed.

The big concern still is that we're giving away lots of needless free-kicks, and are terrible at defending set-pieces and crosses.

That poor defending allowed Newcastle two easy goals and kept them in a match they didn't deserve to get anything from.

First half we should have been more clinical in front of goal.

Our set-piece taking is also horrendous, they got a corner from KP's corner and then show us how you score from set-pieces.

Defo need this sorted as its just gifting goals and points to teams that don't deserve them.

Other than that we were fantastic.

Defending will improve when Llorente gets back and especially when Koch and Llorente are our CBs.

Onward to the Scumbags :)
We need to address our defensive problems at the back

Cooper & Ayling win very few crosses, both decent on the ground but surely CB's are suppose to be dominant in the air.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:20 am This one Swannie

Screenshot 2020-12-17 at 06.18.37.png
That's the one :) thanks Leon. superb from Paddy, superb photo
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:41 am This is no time of day to ask Duckie a question.......

Don't expect a reply until mid afternoon when she finally rolls out of her pit :mrgreen:
Cheeky so and so :x
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

It has often puzzled and confused me the amount of vitriol that Patrick Bamford receives.

at 7 million pounds he cost too much
at best he is a championship player
he misses too many chances
he lacks pace on the technical ability
he will never make it in the premiership
he is Bielsa's favorite

and now the latest stupefying suggestion that we should sell him off for a profit... and get a better striker a fox in the box... never ever contemplating how long it takes for Bielsa to integrate a new player into the team... never worked for JKA even though the Leeds fans where clamouring for him to replace Bamford.

there has to be some deep rooted psychological reason that has disturbed the psyche of Leeds fans... some event in the past that has caused the Leeds fans to become traumatized, so that when they see his name on the team sheet they invariably slip into mass psychosis.

it is as if they want to negate his contribution to the game and they indulge in a communal exorcism to expunge some demonic memory from the past where he has inflicted a severe wound to their collective consciousness.

to overcome this traumatic experience and get rid of the bitterness we must embrace forgiveness, so I call upon all Leeds fans to erase the memory of Patrick Bamford scoring a hat trick for Middlesbrough against the Leeds United... the experience will be both cathartic and rewarding... and you will experience the liberating feeling of moving from prison to praise.

watch the following video... forgive and find release.

https://youtu.be/HG_G2NMvuWo
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

1964white wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:21 am We need to address our defensive problems at the back

Cooper & Ayling win very few crosses, both decent on the ground but surely CB's are suppose to be dominant in the air.
Have you not been watching Marcelo's teams for the last two and a bit seasons. I'm sure that his sole thoughts when we are defending a corner, is how can we worry the opposition on the counter attack.

Are you not entertained ?
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

White Riot wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:24 am Yes, I checked and they're both on 4.

I believe the yellow cards reset on December 31st, but couldn't find any confirmation of this.

5 yellows = 1 match ban

The cutoff date for 1 game ban for 5 bookings is before game week 19, which is 16th January.

The cutoff date for 2 game ban for 10 bookings is before game week 32, which is 17th April.

The cutoff date for 3 game ban for 15 bookings is before game week 38, which is 23rd May.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:56 am Have you not been watching Marcelo's teams for the last two and a bit seasons. I'm sure that his sole thoughts when we are defending a corner, is how can we worry the opposition on the counter attack.

Are you not entertained ?
Of course I've been watching Bielsa's Leeds for the last two & a bit seasons & yes I'm fully entertained, doesn't mean we shouldn't question our defending particularly at set-pieces, a centre-backs job is to win the ball in the air, not lose their man or mistime their jump or even worse stand around ball-watching not jumping or challenging an attacker whatsoever. You could get away with sloppiness at the back in the championship, not the case in the PL

Football is not just about attacking. efficiency at the back is just as important as it is going forward.

I love it when we keep clean sheets

Even Bielsa is concerned about our defensive errors so why shouldn't our fans feel the same?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:03 am The cutoff date for 1 game ban for 5 bookings is before game week 19, which is 16th January.

The cutoff date for 2 game ban for 10 bookings is before game week 32, which is 17th April.

The cutoff date for 3 game ban for 15 bookings is before game week 38, which is 23rd May.
I checked that information last night.

So six games for Klich & Phillips not to acquire a booking, no chance of that not happening, they are more likely to get two over those set of games.

Dallas is on 3 yellows
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:13 am That's the one :) thanks Leon. superb from Paddy, superb photo
Is a superb photo Swannie :tup:
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Yesterdays performance validates MB's faith in certain player's, and also show's that patience is required to get to where you want to be. We have not had a settled defence all year, yet here we are with 17 points. Our open style of play is always going to ensure that we concede a few, some we feel we shouldn't thats the price for the most entertaining attacking team in the Premier league... yes I truly believe that, and it will only get better when we have a fully fit defensive corps to rely on. As confidence grows, we will see more performances like yesterday's. When we are getting comments from pundits such as "Who can live with Leeds, when they play like that" shows it is all coming good.
DavidH
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DavidH »

1964white wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:39 pm Why would we wish to sell Bamford, he is a very important cog of Bielsa's team, probably one of the first players on the teamsheet
Can't bash Harrison after last night, so it's back to Bamford apparently.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:21 am We need to address our defensive problems at the back

Yeah, they need to win aerial duels, or the end product is goals conceded. We also have a major issue stopping crosses from coming in, the full/wing backs are not doing their jobs effectively this has led to us conceding goals lately.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:25 am Just wish we had 2 international defenders.....Oh hang on :duno: we do....but they are both injured....Err? Have people forgotten that? Unfortunately our 'Championship' defence has to carry the can at the mo.....and they are doing their best.....
Well said ..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

DavidH wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:36 pm Can't bash Harrison after last night, so it's back to Bamford apparently.
Bamford is one of our most consistent players this season.

Lets hope Jack pushes on from here & we don't witness five or six games of virtually nothing!

Surely his 2nd half display will give him plenty of confidence!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:24 am Yes, I checked and they're both on 4.

5 yellows = 1 match ban

First 19 matches mate
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

1964white wrote: Of course I've been watching Bielsa's Leeds for the last two & a bit seasons & yes I'm fully entertained, doesn't mean we shouldn't question our defending particularly at set-pieces, a centre-backs job is to win the ball in the air, not lose their man or mistime their jump or even worse stand around ball-watching not jumping or challenging an attacker whatsoever. You could get away with sloppiness at the back in the championship, not the case in the PL

Football is not just about attacking. efficiency at the back is just as important as it is going forward.

I love it when we keep clean sheets

Even Bielsa is concerned about our defensive errors so why shouldn't our fans feel the same?
Yet when you watch that Boro clip i just posted our majestic CB that stalwart of the Leeds defence that imperious header of the ball that ferocious tackler Pontus Janson was responsible for two of the goals Bamford scored against us

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:51 pm Yet when you watch that Boro clip i just posted our majestic CB that stalwart of the Leeds defence that imperious header of the ball that ferocious tackler Pontus Janson was responsible for two of the goals Bamford scored against us

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
Another pop my way :roll:

He wasn't always that bad, in fact he saved our bacon on many occasions, the whole team had a stinker in that game, definitely a night to forget