Lorry Driver shortage

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Re: Lorry Driver shortage

Post by Mountain »

What on earth is happening over there?

We have had rising petrol and diesel prices here in Ireland, but shelves are full, forecourts are no busier than usual, and while life isn't a bed of roses there is no mass panic.
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by whiteroseboy »

It's the result of the policy of years, every kid goes to university and are told they will walk out straight into a top job.

Shortage of lorry drivers
Shortage of people to pick the crops
Shortage of waiters, chefs, bar staff.
Shortage of carers.
Etc.

High unemployment as nobody wants the lower jobs. All we hear is about people wanting hand outs.

Governments job shouldn't be to support everybody but to provide opportunity for people. It's about starting at the bottom of the work pyramid and working your way up by been good at what you do.
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: ↑Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:14 pm The only reason why there is a shortage of fuel is the dickheads who are going to get Β£5 worth to fill their tanks up and those going with jerry cans .It,s the media that cause,s this just like it did with loo rolls.
Spot on πŸ‘πŸ‘
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

hector wrote: ↑Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:30 am What is the CPC?? and how much is it??
I am 60 next birthday which is why I let my licence lapse 10 years back
Certificate of Professional Competence.
Every driver has to have one.
They last 5 years.
Basically, you sit in a class room with 20 odd pissed off drivers for 7 hours and talk about how to lift heavy objects or how to climb into your cab safely or the highway code or weights and measures etc etc etc.
Costs about 80 quid which you have to pay.
You have to do 35 hrs in the 5 year period,, then it all starts again.. you couldn't make this s**t up πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ₯΄
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Haighy wrote: ↑Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:10 pm Certificate of Professional Competence.
They last 5 years.
Basically, you sit in a class room with 20 odd pissed off drivers for 7 hours and talk about how to lift heavy objects or how to climb into your cab safely or the highway code or weights and measures etc etc etc.
You have to do 35 hrs in the 5 year period,, then it all starts again.. you couldn't make this s**t up πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ₯΄
No, you couldn't Haighy.

Unbelievable!
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Haighy wrote: Certificate of Professional Competence.
They last 5 years.
You have to do 35 hrs in the 5 year period,, then it all starts again.. you couldn't make this s**t up ImageImage
Christ it has got tough since I got out Image

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Yep queues for the pumps down here, we needed to as my partner operates from a quarter tank normally and that was a couple of weeks since the last tenner put in... 53 quid later she's full which should last a couple of months unless we decide to go down to Cornwall to visit a best friend we haven't seen in 2 years plus
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Problem is social media and every dickhead filling up because of it. Nobody is selfish thoughπŸ™„
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

People need petrol, if there's gonna be a problem it makes sense to get out ahead of it..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: ↑Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:11 pm Yep queues for the pumps down here, we needed to as my partner operates from a quarter tank normally and that was a couple of weeks since the last tenner put in... 53 quid later she's full which should last a couple of months unless we decide to go down to Cornwall to visit a best friend we haven't seen in 2 years plus
We're heading to Wales & Cornwall tomorrow, so we had to fill up one of our cars today, Jill's car is on the red, we'll fuel her motor when we return.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

There is no shortage if people behaved sensibly, people don't though do they because they are selfish simple.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: ↑Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:37 pm We're heading to Wales & Cornwall tomorrow, so we had to fill up one of our cars today, Jill's car is on the red, we'll fuel her motor when we return.
Hope you can fill up yours down there to be able to return :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: ↑Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:41 pm There is no shortage if people behaved sensibly, people don't though do they because they are selfish simple.
Indeed MJ

The media caused the problem & masses of selfish motorists were out there from 6.30am apparently.

So glad I filled my car at midday as one of our garages were sold out, the other service station one had one of their three sets of pumps down. We'd have had to suspend our journey south tomorrow had I waited much longer.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: ↑Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:46 pm Hope you can fill up yours down there to be able to return :lol:
You say that in jest Swannie, we had problems on our return home from St Ives in June. Two service stations had sold out of diesel, thankfully the third s/s on the A30 had plenty of fuel, scary as we were really low.

I believe the reason for the fuel selling out was because thousands of holiday-makers who would generally go abroad invaded Cornwall in their masses.
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: ↑Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:51 pm Problem is social media and every dickhead filling up because of it. Nobody is selfish thoughπŸ™„
Correct πŸ‘
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

BGwhite wrote: ↑Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:40 pm Christ it has got tough since I got out Image

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
Absolutely mate.. πŸ‘
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

my daughter has to take her daughter up to York university for her first time. this was the sign that greeted her when she went to get petrol.
IMG_20210925_072844.jpg
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

The UK has gone mad all because the f**king media reported that 5 out of 1200 BP stations had to close because of lack of fuel. Absolutely f**king ridiculous!
I had to begrudgingly drive to Bury St Edmunds at 8am this morning to try and get some petrol only because I have to take my daughter back to university tomorrow.
After visiting 3 petrol stations that had nothing I managed to get some at Tesco but they only had super unleaded.
I have a 75 mile round trip to work every day and I have enough petrol in the other car to last till Thursday. If I can't get any then....who knows?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
hector

Post by hector »

I echo that Chilli...

Been shopping to Totton this morning, I pass 3 filling stations on the way.. The one by M27 J2 had no fuel, and no vehicles in a queue

Morrisons obviously has fuel as the queue was 3 miles down the A36 (well about 1.5 miles each direction), and the Esso at Totton Asda had no diesel. and queues up to 1 mile down the road...

All for 1 journo saying 5 filling stations were temp closed due to the driver shortage...

f**king press cause all these problems, soon the supermarket shelves will be empty as they cause panic buying of meat or eggs or summat else.....

Any jobs as lighthouse keeper going??
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Filled up Wednesday and absolutely no issues or queues. Some sensationalist headlines from the tabloids and suddenly every bugger has gone to fill up and there are queues and shortages.