Alioski, what are your thoughts?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Alioski, what are your thoughts?

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:19 am No mention that he is a poor defender but then you are critical of Ayling, Dallas & Cooper's defending Cjay, the reason he has always struggled to hold onto a permanent place in the first XI, of late even though his form has been sub-standard he has got fortunate as their are no other options available to Bielsa.
Didnt mention it because i dont agree with it.

Ali is no worse a defender than Ayling, Dallas and Cooper. And i bet money if we rewatched all the goals conceded this season Ayling would be directly responsible for more than Ali.

How may pens, sloppy passes, loses of the ball has Ayling been responsible for ? At least 3 or 4 goals and thats just recently, pen and 2 or 3 set pieces.

But cant criticise Ayling because he is going to play for England :lol:

Ali is a winger at the end of the day, and as a winger he was a reliable performer who managed to get 7 goals and 5 assists playing for TC and Hecky.

Thats more goal contributions than Costa managed under Bielsa in 1 season its 1 less than Harrison managed under Bielsa and its more in 1 season than Dallas managed in his whole career.

And while we are on the subject of Dallas, the new golden boy.

People fall over themselves to praise him while simultaneously wanting him dropped? Because its almost universal agreement we need midfielders and left backs.

Isnt that a bit of a contradiction?

At the end of the day Ali is a winger who has been forced to play not in the position we signed him for and has done no worse than players like Cooper and Ayling who are naturally defenders or Dallas who has spent literally years being crap before his reinvention as Mr Indispensable who must be a bench player next season according to most fans because we need left backs and midfielders.

Ali is a good defender, a solid performer, but certain fans always took against him for some reason.

In Marcelo Bielsa's career do you know where Alioski ranks for appearances?

3rd.

Only 2 players above him, Jack Harrison by 3 appearences and Mateusz Klich.

I rest my case.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Cjay wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:32 pm Didnt mention it because i dont agree with it.

Ali is no worse a defender than Ayling, Dallas and Cooper. And i bet money if we rewatched all the goals conceded this season Ayling would be directly responsible for more than Ali.

How may pens, sloppy passes, loses of the ball has Ayling been responsible for ? At least 3 or 4 goals and thats just recently, pen and 2 or 3 set pieces.

Ali is a winger at the end of the day, and as a winger he was a reliable performer who managed to get 7 goals and 5 assists playing for TC and Hecky.

Thats more goal contributions than Costa managed under Bielsa in 1 season its 1 less than Harrison managed under Bielsa and its more in 1 season than Dallas managed in his whole career.

People fall over themselves to praise him while simultaneously wanting him dropped? Because its almost universal agreement we need midfielders and left backs.

At the end of the day Ali is a winger who has been forced to play not in the position we signed him for and has done no worse than players like Cooper and Ayling who are naturally defenders or Dallas who has spent literally years being crap before his reinvention as Mr Indispensable who must be a bench player next season according to most fans because we need left backs and midfielders.

Ali is a good defender, a solid performer, but certain fans always took against him for some reason.
Excellent comment's CJ... well balanced response.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Yeah, I think one has to always remember that Alioski is played out of position all the time, he was brought in as a winger, he has slotted in at left back. There will be better full backs, but not sure how many of them will be as adaptable (look at the disaster that was Matt Doherty, one of the best full backs in the Premier League, when Spurs moved him slightly). Obviously if he goes he goes and good luck to him, but wouldn't be for this "oh there are so much better, he is the weak link, move him on". He's probably cheap (and VERY cheerful!) so if a deal could be done I'd keep him.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Nice to see we have many understanding posters... a players capability and what is asked of him sometimes conflict, if the manager has an overall plan and uses the resources available to him to the full... I have always thought that Bielsa see's more mileage using Ali in the LB position, not only because he is all he had, but it is the best position for him to use his other assets, pace and speed etc on the wing...Not saying anything new here, I for one will be sorry to see him go I think he epitomises a "squad" player the type you can ask anything of and you will always get the effort and more.
Last edited by Smudge3920 on Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:32 pm Didnt mention it because i dont agree with it.

In Marcelo Bielsa's career do you know where Alioski ranks for appearances?

3rd.

Only 2 players above him, Jack Harrison by 3 appearances and Mateusz Klich.

I rest my case.
But Ali is the first out of the door after season one in the PL.

Respect your opinion all the same Cjay & I know you'll be extremely disappointed when Ali leaves LUFC as I shall be when Pablo goes!
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:17 pm But Ali is the first out of the door after season one in the PL.

Respect your opinion all the same Cjay & I know you'll be extremely disappointed when Ali leaves LUFC as I shall be when Pablo goes!
He is Leon true but its his choice, that seems to be getting lost a bit.

The club want him to stay, he wants to go, thats basically the situation as its been explained.

We have tried to get him a new deal but maybe he wants more money, maybe he wants more matches, we arent actively trying to get rid.

As Mountain says though for all people criticise Ali for his performances at left back he has done his best and it isnt easy. Matt Doherty was a top Premier league wing back, ask him to play at full back and it falls apart.

I to shall be very sad to see Pablo go :(

But while i dont want to see Ali or Pablo go i accept we do need a proper left back, we do need more options at cm.

If Ali doesnt want to sign a new deal thats fair enough he has to do whats best for him and his family.

And despite the affection we have for certain players i think we all recognise the need to improve the first team especially in 2nd season.

The absolute worst thing you can do in your 2nd season is stand still, you will go down
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:32 pm He is Leon true but its his choice, that seems to be getting lost a bit.

The club want him to stay, he wants to go, thats basically the situation as its been explained.

We have tried to get him a new deal but maybe he wants more money, maybe he wants more matches, we arent actively trying to get rid.

As Mountain says though for all people criticise Ali for his performances at left back he has done his best and it isnt easy. Matt Doherty was a top Premier league wing back, ask him to play at full back and it falls apart.

I to shall be very sad to see Pablo go :(

But while i dont want to see Ali or Pablo go i accept we do need a proper left back, we do need more options at cm.

If Ali doesnt want to sign a new deal thats fair enough he has to do whats best for him and his family.

And despite the affection we have for certain players i think we all recognise the need to improve the first team especially in 2nd season.

The absolute worst thing you can do in your 2nd season is stand still, you will go down
Would be suicidal if we stood still, second/third seasons syndrome catches many promoted teams out.

We won't though as Radz/Kinnear have already hinted that our squad will be strengthened.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:04 pm The rumours regarding Alioski signing for that Turkish club refuse to go away and news circulation he has signed a pre-contract with them for next season. Obvioulsy it's an emotive subject but how do you feel about it? Many suggesting they don't want him to play for Leeds again.

For me it's different to Kewell. He was at the club when Kevin Speight and Christopher Loftus were murdered. He played in that game, he knew the background, he knew how people felt about it. Alioski on the pother hand was 8 years old when that happened, he probably knew little abut it before joining Leeds. This is probly the last big contract of his career and I doubt there would be many if any bigger teams than them coming in for him.
What Kewell did was undoubtedly worse and Alioski is entitled to do as he pleases.

I won’t dedicate too much energy to it but in my eyes, he will be completely forgotten if he makes that move.

Not hated, but forgotten, will have no time for him whatsoever. Never wore the shirt as far as I am concerned.

Harsh maybe? But that’s just my honest opinion.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

If he isn't going to be here next season, then I don't really see the reason to pick him. I don't think we'll be any worse off for giving Huggins or Davis a few games at LB.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Fridge wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:01 pm What Kewell did was undoubtedly worse and Alioski is entitled to do as he pleases.
As you mention the K word, I think the situations are very different.

Kewell showed his colours in the transfer to Liverpool, where he and his agent conspired to completely screw over the club that made him. It was disgusting and Liverpool joined it all too, stuffing money into the agent's pockets to ensure they got the player.

I know we hate ManU and Ferdinand and Smith went there. But that club and those players behaved with FAR more class than Kewell and Liverpool. So to see him go on to the club in Turkey was no surprise. Ali may be going to the same club, but he doesn't have history of ***king us over..
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

In all walks of life people move on, often for money, sometimes to improve domestic life. In Alioski’s situation it seems he has to move on, since either he or the Leeds management, or maybe both, think it is time he should.
The club he is alleged to be joining is truly despised in these parts, but that isnt Alioski’s fault. I’d be very surprised if he isn’t aware of the issue and I also wouldn’t be surprised if he’s in a dilemma about that -I don’t know, I’m not his confidante.
Look at the alleged move from his point, he’s moving much closer to home at a time in his life when that’s probably important. Many of us don’t know what it’s like to flit around the world on the whim of a management team, most of us choose our next employment, it’s generally our own decision. I doubt Alioski or his agent woke up one morning and thought “mmm, I right fancy playing for the team my current lot hate most in the entire world, that’ll be a right laugh! Let’s make that happen.” Closer to the truth is likely THAT club liked the look of him and on a free transfer it made financial sense to them and approached him, I could be wrong.
Anyway good luck to him, on balance I’d say his time at Leeds has been mostly positive and successful and the lad deserves, at least in my opinion, a nod of thanks.
Thanks Gianni, (maybe my fingernails will grow back when you’ve gone.) :zip:
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:04 pm The rumours regarding Alioski signing for that Turkish club refuse to go away and news circulation he has signed a pre-contract with them for next season. Obvioulsy it's an emotive subject but how do you feel about it? Many suggesting they don't want him to play for Leeds again.

For me it's different to Kewell. He was at the club when Kevin Speight and Christopher Loftus were murdered. He played in that game, he knew the background, he knew how people felt about it. Alioski on the pother hand was 8 years old when that happened, he probably knew little abut it before joining Leeds. This is probly the last big contract of his career and I doubt there would be many if any bigger teams than them coming in for him.
Fully agree YS. He’s been a good servant to Leeds United. He’s added some eccentricity to a game that seems to have less “characters” these days, he didn’t throw the toys out of the pram when his BFF was moved on and, in spite of obvious weaknesses at LB, he has contributed to our recent success in no small measure with his levels of work and his goals.

There is no comparison with the scumbag Kewell and it is unfair go there. This move is all about Alioski’s time to cash in on a short career. That club he is going to is irrelevant.

Like most here, thankfully, I too wish him the best of luck and I do hope he takes a very large wad of money from where he’s going.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I have zero interest where Alio goes once he leaves. I'd rather he stayed for a couple more seasons though
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Alioski goes with all the best wishes. He's been a class act at Leeds. He always entertained the fans and engaged with them which makes him iconic. He's below the par of what we need going forward but he's filled us with many memories on the pitch.
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

Alioski is more about off the pitch stuff than on it, easily the weak link when he plays.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

On this one, I don't think it's any of our business where players choose to play after thy leave. As fans I know it means a lot to us. But players are free to play wherever works best for them. I'd understand if he was with Leeds when all that stuff happened. But it was over a decade before he even signed for us. ALioski has done us well. He'd stay with us if he had a place here. I wish him well, whatever he decides
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

mav wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:32 pm Alioski is more about off the pitch stuff than on it, easily the weak link when he plays.
I will be glad to see the back of him to be honest, I don't really buy into all the sentiment. Purely on footballing terms, we need better in order to progress.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

He's given us his all - whether that's enough is a very personal opinion.
I still reckon he's worth another punt as a squad player.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Overman wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:22 pm Indeed, really time to move on. Infectious character along with all the other clichés, but not what's required for this level. At the end of day he's been on 50k a week. I'm sure he'll be fine. he'll be able to invest in a circus somewhere.
he's just not been on anywhere near 50k a week has he

maybe KP is on that kind of wage, kiko somewhere high, and some of the new signings (with rodrigo much higher) but nobody else.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

alio is in the peak of his career age wise - would love to stay as a squad player. backup for the wingers preferably - he deserves a new contract at the least