The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 15th December) - Should Marcelo Bielsa make changes for the Newcastle game?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 15th December) - Should Marcelo Bielsa make changes for the Newcastle game?

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:57 pm I’m with you 64, Ayling back to right back and Dallas back to left back with Struijk coming in to partner Cooper. Struijk is not very experienced at this level but I think he is capable and at least he’s got a bit of presence and height about him (as opposed to Alioski) to try and defend set pieces.
:tup:

It amazes me how Alioski got found out in the championship & ended up on the bench for much of last season now all of a sudden he's good enough to defend vs PL strike-forces :roll: for all Ali's endeavour, energy & chirpiness he is a five minute wonder imo!
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 15th December) - Should Marcelo Bielsa make changes for the Newcastle game?

Post by onemoreslogan »

At his best (like we saw vs. Arsenal), Alio can be an asset at this level. Performances like that one seem to be the exception though and he hasn't chipped in much offensively in the PL like he would in streaks in the Championship. He has his uses, I'm simply not sure what the ideal role for him is at this point.

I'm an optimist, so I think we can take 10 points from the next five. Nick a point from Spurs or Scum and win the other three. Less than 6 and we're in real trouble.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Just to mention with regards to Amazon Prime, that you cannot record any of the matches, but if you are doing something at the time of kickoff, you do have the option of watching a delayed coverage from the start.

Not sure I have explained that well, but you get the gist.

Re the team. I will support whatever players Marcelo decides to play. He has watched them all in training for the last week, and knows much better than I, what would be the best formation. I watched Pablo in the first half of the U23's game on Sunday, and he showed that he is fit enough for 45 mins, if required. However, it was mostly wonderful slide rule passes to the opposition, barring one lovely ball to Kamwa, which the latter wasted.

Sam Greenwood looks as though he is very close to making the bench. A very gifted player. Outshone Pablo in central midfield, and can also play as a striker.
Last edited by Gandalf on Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

1964white wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:23 am Changes for the Barcodes game
Phillips & Klich

IMO Klich needs a rest badly... or at the very least reduced minutes ...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:04 pm Just to mention with regards to Amazon Prime, that you cannot record any of the matches, but if you are doing something at the time of kickoff, you do have the option of watching a delayed coverage from the start.

Not sure I have explained that well, but you get the gist.

Re the team. I will support whatever players Marcelo decides to play. He has watched them all in training for the last week, and knows much better than I, what would be the best formation. I watched Pablo in the first half of the U23's game on Sunday, and he showed that he is fit enough for 45 mins, if required. However, it was mostly wonderful slide rule passes to the opposition, barring one lovely ball to Kamwa, which the latter wasted.

Sam Greenwood looks as though he is very close to making the bench. A very gifted player. Outshone Pablo in central midfield, and can also play as a striker.
Well his team selection & subs weren't great vs West Ham no matter how much you support Marcelo's decision, proven by the worst performance of the season, never looked like winning the game even when we were fortunate to be 1-0 up :(
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Smudge3920 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:10 pm IMO Klich needs a rest badly... or at the very least reduced minutes ...
We haven't got many other options Smudge unless we play Shackleton or Dallas there. I much prefer Stuart in the LB role.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

1964white wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:12 pm We haven't got many other options Smudge unless we play Shackleton or Dallas there. I much prefer Stuart in the LB role.
It is why I left him out of my selections...sometimes you have to do the hard thing... he is looking very jaded, dont give him a rest and he could end up with a needless injury...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Smudge3920 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:16 pm It is why I left him out of my selections...sometimes you have to do the hard thing... he is looking very jaded, dont give him a rest and he could end up with a needless injury...
You make a very good & valid point although I can't see Bielsa leaving Klich out of his first XI
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:41 am Amazon Prime

I asked advice from a couple of my best friends (Ges one of them) a couple of weeks ago.

I was already on Amazon's monthly trail (as I was in the summer) because Amazon is my favourite music store, also buy other items from them apart my regular CD purchases.

Advantage with Prime

No postage on every item
Exclusive special offers
Next day delivery
Quality picture/coverage than the streams I use
Can now watch matches on the big screen as oppose to my laptops
Loads of films/series/documentaries to view (Jill has already got three films in mind she wants to watch)

Sod the free trial :) I've gone for the annual option for £79 once my free trial concludes next week

Great value, I'll get my money back purely on my Amazon purchases & there is so much more to their deal :-D
I know I fork out far too much each month for Sky. Don’t have BT, do have Netflix. To be honest I didn’t even realise we had Amazon, but having just asked daughter no.2 it does appear we do :tup: ......as she said to me that’s what you watched the Spurs doc series on :roll: (my wife must be paying for that one :) ) Not really watching a great deal of TV I do get lost on all these different services.....but good news if I can see the game/s

I struggle to be overly enthused watching games on my laptop or iPad if it’s via some poor quality stream.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I can confirm the free 30 day trial does include the football. Currently watching the Chelsea v Wolves game.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:00 pm I can confirm the free 30 day trial does include the football. Currently watching the Chelsea v Wolves game.
:tup:
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

1964white wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:23 am Changes for the Barcodes game

Ayling Struijk Cooper Dallas

Play two defensive DM's

Phillips & Klich

Three flair players interchanging in midfield area

Hernandez Rodrigo Raphinha

Our main man No.9 & only goalscorer up top

Bamford
I like this.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

John in Louisiana wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:17 pm I like this.
Very Gareth Southgate isn't it ? Didn't we moan when he played Phillips alongside another DMF, Rice I think it was
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Three at the back tomorrow, so for me the only question is does KP make up the third CB with Struijk at DMF or is it the other way round? Or maybe they can switch.

Newcastle will start with two up top, unless there are injuries we dont know about.
The big clue was Struijk getting subbed at HT when playing for the U23s on Sunday.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:17 pm I like this.
You may like it John however it won't happen :(
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:47 pm Very Gareth Southgate isn't it ? Didn't we moan when he played Phillips alongside another DMF, Rice I think it was
Quite a few prem teams do Faaip

We need to tighten up & try something different
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:04 pm Three at the back tomorrow, so for me the only question is does KP make up the third CB with Struijk at DMF or is it the other way round? Or maybe they can switch.

Newcastle will start with two up top, unless there are injuries we dont know about.
The big clue was Struijk getting subbed at HT when playing for the U23s on Sunday
Ooh yes :-D
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

1964white wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:11 pm :tup:

It amazes me how Alioski got found out in the championship & ended up on the bench for much of last season now all of a sudden he's good enough to defend vs PL strike-forces :roll: for all Ali's endeavour, energy & chirpiness he is a five minute wonder imo!
He seems to have a bit of a cult following buying into the whole maverick persona. Ultimately, he isn't good enough to be starting, perhaps coming off the bench for 15 minutes. He's a weak link in the team along with the likes of Harrison and Costa, with Coops not far behind. No more time for sentiment, it's about results.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He is an improved player though this season, his tackling has much better technique, as does his positioning when in defence. Gets caught upfield a bit too much but I have a feeling that's how Bielsa wants him to play
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

The problem IMO is that alioski is partnered with Harrison on the left..., have said it in two other threads lately, When Harrison picks up the ball, so often we see Ali fly by him into the open space...Harrison instead of playing straight onto Alioski holds the ball up to either try to beat the same player twice, pass it sideways or backwards to lose the gain line or try to cross and it goes straight into the player nearest him... Ali is then left with a full field length sprint back to his LB position... the problem on the left is Harrison.