1st single(45) & 1st Album (33) you bought....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: 1st single(45) & 1st Album (33) you bought....

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:36 am Hey CW,

Black and White was also one of the first albums I bought.

Brilliant album, and came with Walk on By on white vinyl, which I swapped with another Stranglers buddy for the Pink EP.

Great days mate, I used to get £5 pocket money every week and it was difficult to choose which punk album to buy.
Loads of coloured vinyl on the market in those days, they looked like frisbee's
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:43 am We were pretty skint in those days 64, so we just used to share albums.

I bought Clash singles, and first album was Give em Enough Rope.

As time moved on I went to college and was more into The Cure, The Bunnymen, The Doors and Hendrix.
All excellent bands WR :tup:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:54 pm What a cracking first album purchase. I also bought the Sparks single
Followed up with the first Black Sabbath album.

Haven't bought many other singles; Baker Street, Resurrection Joe by the Cult, and the early Sisters and Bauhaus 12 inchers.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:19 pm Followed up with the first Black Sabbath album.

Haven't bought many other singles; Baker Street, Resurrection Joe by the Cult, and the early Sisters and Bauhaus 12 inchers.
I have the first five Sabbath albums
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

White Riot wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:39 am Best period in music for me and very exciting to be growing up at that time.

All my mates were into the same music: Buzzcocks, Jam, Clash, Siouxsie, Sham 69.

I think we were really fortunate to grow up then ☺️
I've still got all my punk vinyl , something like around 800 singles and a few hundred albums .....add to that CD's and it's a pretty big punk collection . The only early band I missed out of in singles was The Damned . Chelsea are one of my faves , the band not the scummy football team . On TOTP I think Sham always came across as something different and rowdy football hooligans ........then you had the Upstarts and Rejects follow suite . Magnificent era , definitely products of their era in mass unemployment , misery , cold war etc . The Stranglers were my faves by far , but I got into most aspects of punk for over 15 years , with maybe the exception of The Slits .
Tell people about these bands now and the names and they think " really ? " . Yes , it was for real .
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Clacton White wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:45 pm I've still got all my punk vinyl , something like around 800 singles and a few hundred albums .....add to that CD's and it's a pretty big punk collection . The only early band I missed out of in singles was The Damned . Chelsea are one of my faves , the band not the scummy football team . On TOTP I think Sham always came across as something different and rowdy football hooligans ........then you had the Upstarts and Rejects follow suite . Magnificent era , definitely products of their era in mass unemployment , misery , cold war etc . The Stranglers were my faves by far , but I got into most aspects of punk for over 15 years , with maybe the exception of The Slits .
Tell people about these bands now and the names and they think " really ? " . Yes , it was for real .
Impressive collection Clacton :tup:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Clacton White wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:45 pm I've still got all my punk vinyl , something like around 800 singles and a few hundred albums .....add to that CD's and it's a pretty big punk collection . The only early band I missed out of in singles was The Damned . Chelsea are one of my faves , the band not the scummy football team . On TOTP I think Sham always came across as something different and rowdy football hooligans ........then you had the Upstarts and Rejects follow suite . Magnificent era , definitely products of their era in mass unemployment , misery , cold war etc . The Stranglers were my faves by far , but I got into most aspects of punk for over 15 years , with maybe the exception of The Slits .
My whole outlook on life has been shaped by the punk movement of that era, particularly hardcore.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

1964white wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:12 pm Impressive collection Clacton :tup:
Thanks , minor problem these days though . Nothing to play them on . If I want to listen to many , then I go on Spotify . Have discovered a lot of good euro punk from that era in recent years .
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

First single - London's Calling, it was closely followed by "hey Mickey' Toni Basil!! (Clash single was bought second hand off Cleckheaton market).
First Album IIRC was Kings of the Wild Frontier - on tape, wore it out I played it that much.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

1st single - Hey Jude
1st album - Harvest by Neil Young
NorfolkWhite wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:37 pm First single - London's Calling, it was closely followed by "hey Mickey' Toni Basil!! (Clash single was bought second hand off Cleckheaton market).
First Album IIRC was Kings of the Wild Frontier - on tape, wore it out I played it that much.
Are you from Cleck originally Norfolk?
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:13 pm 1st single - Hey Jude

Nearby - Liversedge, many a night out in Cleck though! Also played cricket for Cleck in my youth.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Birkenshaw/East Bierley myself. Bradford was the place for a fantastic night out in the late 70s early 80s though!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:13 pm 1st single - Hey Jude

Wonderful album Bye bye
LUFC DAVE 7
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by LUFC DAVE 7 »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:51 pm Bradford was the place for a fantastic night out in the late 70s early 80s though!
Spot on Bye bye.
My most memorable night out was in Bradford.
Mecca Ballroom, Saturday 6th May, 1972.
All the lads in their best suits and a Leed's scarf.
What an atmosphere!
hector

Post by hector »

Our squadron of junior soldiers had a coach trip to the Silver Blades ice rink in either 78 or 79

cracking punch up with the local youffs who thought all the totty were their property....

:mrgreen: