Edinson Cavani

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Cavani

Poll ended at Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:28 pm

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 28

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Edinson Cavani

Post by Cjay »

We have to talk about something for the next 2 months so why not this :lol:

Personally i thought Radz was just doing what he does, name dropping, its an annoying trait of his.

However maybe he was serious.

Various media sources think he was, South American football expert Tim Vickery said that Cavani would be interested he thinks.

Uruguay media has reported that we have made contact with Cavani's people and he will listen to us.

If this was possible would we want him?

Sounds ludicrous to even ask that.

We are talking about one of the best goalscorers of the last decade.

Behind Ronaldo and Messi Cavani is up with Aguero, Lewandowski and co as the most prolific striker of the 2010s.

112 goals in Serie A in 213 games

He is PSG all time top goal scorer

He is one of the most prolific goalscorers in Champions League history

He is one of the members of the International 50 goal club.

He is so calm in front of goal he was nicknamed El Matador during his time in Italy.

He is also absolutely tailor made for Marcelo Bielsa.

Bielsa wants a striker who can hold the ball up, link play, rotate positions, work hard.

Cavani does all that, he is famous for his work rate, he has been played as a winger as testament to his workrate and versatility. He is intelligent and classy on the ball but fierce and strong to.

He is basically a modern version of Argentinian legend Gabriel Batistuta, and who made Batigol the player he was? Bielsa

Who is Cavani's idol? Batistuta.

Thats the good, now the bad.

Despite his prolific record he has been accused of missing to many chances.

He has in recent years suffered injury problems missing many games last season through injury.

He is 33 years old and his body may not be up to Bielsa demands anymore (5 years ago definitely) but now who knows.

He would be incredibly expensive, his wages would be astronomical.

It may upset the squad dynamic having a superstar in it. You'd hope not but you never know.

As surprising as it may sound, Bielsa may not want him and if Radz tried to force him on him then we may have a superstar striker who never plays while costing a fortune.

And finally, he may flop, plenty of past their prime formerly great strikers have come to the Prem later in life and failed.

Higuain, Falcao, Shevchenko.

So given the opportunity (and even just as a bit of fun) would Cavani be a good signing?
Last edited by Cjay on Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Edinson Cavani

Post by SG90 »

A proven goalscorer at PL level will cost £25m+. Cavani is an absolute no brainer. Hope we can get him.
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

would be some signing, but not one that i'd be pushing for.

I'd rather have a younger striker who can become a future leeds great, rather than having someone who would cost a fortune, only be here for a year and might not even give a s**t about leeds
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

If his attitude & commitment is good, yes at the right price.

Cavani's age is my concern
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

I've voted no because I can see a player who is in decline, who, although coming in on a free transfer, his wage demands would be huge. So he might work out as a £10 million transfer overall, but would his wages upset the apple cart ?. Also his injury record in the last couple of seasons is not good (He only scored 4 goals this season just ended). Too big a risk. He could be a bargain, or he could be a flop. I'm veering towards the latter.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

If Bielsa can rejuvenate him he could be the next Gabriel Batistuta. Overall, he doesn't have that far to go. My only questions would be about his commitment and fitness levels, I'd worry about him doing a JKA and getting broke in half by Murderball.

If Bielsa is happy with the signing, should it happen, then that's the only permission I'd need to get really, really excited.

Isn't it nice though that our bullcrap transfer rumours are now about Edison Cavani and not Che Adams? :)
Last edited by mothbanquet on Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Gandalf wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:05 pm (He only scored 4 goals this season just ended).
Isn't that why he's been unhappy at PSG though since Neymar arrived? I thought that he barely gets game time after Neymar and Mbappe?

I don't think he's played enough to get into any sort of goalscoring form.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

I voted yes, but I would want an absolute assurance he would be willing to pay the price of being part of Bielsa's system. The conditioning, the study, all of it.

There are only two reasons why I, as a player, would resent someone else's high wage:

1) If I thought I was being compensated unfairly, and/or

2) If the person receiving the high wage was receiving special privileges or being made to work less hard than others on the squad.

If Cavani came in, worked as hard as everyone else, kept a level head on his shoulders, and gave us 25 goals, the players and the fans would all love him. From what I've seen of him in the past, I have good reason to believe he would do that.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

John in Louisiana wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:17 pm I voted yes, but I would want an absolute assurance he would be willing to pay the price of being part of Bielsa's system. The conditioning, the study, all of it.

There are only two reasons why I, as a player, would resent someone else's high wage:

1) If I thought I was being compensated unfairly, and/or

2) If the person receiving the high wage was receiving special privileges or being made to work less hard than others on the squad.

If Cavani came in, worked as hard as everyone else, kept a level head on his shoulders, and gave us 25 goals, the players and the fans would all love him. From what I've seen of him in the past, I have good reason to believe he would do that.
I feel the same way John. And I don't think that anyone can consider him anything other than a world class finisher, or at least not far off. Bielsa will improve him like he improves everyone else willing to learn, and the fact Cavani is South American will be a big factor. Maybe some of the Argentinian names we're being linked with are interesting to him? I'm loving this rumour.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I don't see there being any resentment. Surely none of our players could think they deserve a similar wage? They all seem pretty grounded. Remember Bamford and Kiko are on bigger wages than everyone else. It was only Roofe who wanted big money and he was sold.
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

Can you imagine how many goals we would have scored this year had cavani been in bamfords positions. Its a no brainer for me. Yes
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

SG90 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:23 pm I don't see there being any resentment. Surely none of our players could think they deserve a similar wage? They all seem pretty grounded. Remember Bamford and Kiko are on bigger wages than everyone else. It was only Roofe who wanted big money and he was sold.
I don't think we'd be able to compete in the Prem with players on Championship wages, this has to start somewhere. Might as well start with a proven Champions League striker.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Doire_Boi wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:24 pm Can you imagine how many goals we would have scored this year had cavani been in bamfords positions. Its a no brainer for me. Yes
:tup: :tup: :tup:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Cavani will have to take more than one type of haircut to come play of us.

He is on over 200k a week

Dream on
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
JayKayDubu
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by JayKayDubu »

I voted no. He may be a great striker but as others have pointed out he on the decline and would cost a fortune. I would much rather have someone like Pukki who in the right team can be very effective in the Premier League.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

My only worry would be the wages, which could lead to everyone else wanting bug wage hikes and animosity.

Otherwise I would love to have Cavani. Exactly what we need up front. He could do a job up front for two years while we bring through a younger player.
LUFC_BOS
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by LUFC_BOS »

My concerns are around the amount of time Bielsa needs to bring a new signing up to speed. Does anyone know when we expect EPL to start? Getting the recruitment done, rest for the current set of players and integrating new ones in shorter timespan is going to be a challenge.

So far we seem to be recruiting younger players to adapt to our style and physical/mental demands of our coach. Not sure rumours like Cavani and Ibra play into our thinking.

Suffice to say we do need players who know how to put it into the net (not depend on oppo players to do it for us).

Trust Bielsa and our recruitment team to make the decisions they see fit. Just enjoy the ride and moment.

MOT everyone! LUFC have been the bright spot in this most difficult year.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd be surprised if he's on Bielsa's hit list. He likes to get his players fairly young and mouldable it seems to me. (Pablo already here of course.) I'm with Gandi, I think he could easily be nearing the cliff edge and when sportsmen decline they decline real quick..

The injury red flags are a leading precursor to that, you also look at output. One yr stop gap if he wants to continue his career a bit longer at the top level but I'd like to see it performance linked.

200K per week is too much...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

In his defence if he came i wouldn't worry about his attitude or professionalism.

He has always been shifted about for other players, often on the wing. But he has still managed to be a fan favourite and goalscorer at every club and international level.

Injuries are a concern, over 40 games missed over the last 2 years.

Hes only played 3487 minutes over the last 2 seasons which is about 39 games worth.

This season he was injured a lot but apparently he didnt get on with the PSG boss either which played a part.

Cant fault his record though

39 games worth of minutes
30 goals 12 assists over 2 seasons

Even last season he only played 12 matches worth of minutes
7 goals 3 assists.

I dont doubt his attitude, quality or ability to play the Bielsa system if fit

I just personally like others very much doubt his fitness.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

I would assume a signing of this nature would mean Radz has secured extra investment. I'm thinking along the specific PSG-QSI lines. Is it possible to keep this under wraps? If it became common knowledge too early surely it would drive prices up?