The "January" Transfer Window 20/21 season

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season

Post by Cjay »

Leeds1000 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:26 pm I would love to see Eze at Leeds. He's got great skill, but is he a Bielsa type of player? I would take a gamble on the kid and let Marcelo work is magic.
Is Benrahma, is Wilson?

The only player who seems to be a certain Bielsa player is Almada given he has worked only ever with Bielsa disciples but we arent going for him sadly.

I like Eze a lot, better then Wilson and Benrahma imo.

Still wish we would end our domestic obsession and just go for Almada :(
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:27 pm Only buying 1cb sadly so if it was him for some ridiculous reason that would be it.

may as well slap down a 20mil bid for Garcia while we at it.

Im getting worried about our transfer business, hope we arent expecting MB to perform a miracle again.
That's the kind of crazy thing I'd expect Bielsa to do tbh, take a punt on a youngster rather than spend big money on an established player.

THB has had some first team experience, 2 Carabao Cup, 1 FA Cup (which he scored in) and 1 UCL game, as well as EFL trophy games.

Garcia wants to go back to Barca.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:30 pm Is Benrahma, is Wilson?

The only player who seems to be a certain Bielsa player is Almada given he has worked only ever with Bielsa disciples but we arent going for him sadly.

I like Eze a lot, better then Wilson and Benrahma imo.

Still wish we would end our domestic obsession and just go for Almada :(
Me too. You just know someone else will buy him and he'll end up being well out of our league, like Haaland.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Im still waiting for the downturn in prices caused by Covid 19 . . . . . Thought it was going to be a buyers market.

Nathan Ake cost £40mil. . . .Lewis Dunk, Brighton want £40-50mil, we just had a £22mil bid rejected for a 2nd division cb!!!!!

Man City signed a very highly rated Spanish winger for £20mil, only 20 but has over 50 La Liga games to his name, Champions league experience and Europa League.

Meanwhile we are wondering whether to spend upwards of 20mil on 2nd division players!!!!!

I dont get the domestic obsession, i dont agree with the argument that its better to sign domestic players, a good player is a good player and it doesnt matter where he played before. Many domestic players have failed to make the step up to Prem level, many foreign ones to, its not an exact science

I find our willingness to overpay on domestic players daft and not using Bielsa contacts in Argentina to find gems so frustrating. Wolves only signed foreign players, they seem to do alright.

i really hoped we would change our domestic obsession :( ( i know the window has only just opened but its pretty clear we will only go foreign if we cant find anything in England)

Sorry for the rant i feel better now :)
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:06 pm Im still waiting for the downturn in prices caused by Covid 19 . . . . . Thought it was going to be a buyers market.

Nathan Ake cost £40mil. . . .Lewis Dunk, Brighton want £40-50mil, we just had a £22mil bid rejected for a 2nd division cb!!!!!

Man City signed a very highly rated Spanish winger for £20mil, only 20 but has over 50 La Liga games to his name, Champions league experience and Europa League.

Meanwhile we are wondering whether to spend upwards of 20mil on 2nd division players!!!!!

I dont get the domestic obsession, i dont agree with the argument that its better to sign domestic players, a good player is a good player and it doesnt matter where he played before. Many domestic players have failed to make the step up to Prem level, many foreign ones to, its not an exact science

I find our willingness to overpay on domestic players daft and not using Bielsa contacts in Argentina to find gems so frustrating. Wolves only signed foreign players, they seem to do alright.

i really hoped we would change our domestic obsession :( ( i know the window has only just opened but its pretty clear we will only go foreign if we cant find anything in England)

Sorry for the rant i feel better now :)
Completely agree. The domestic market is a complete rip off and certainly not value for money. If foreign players are so rubbish, why are the best players in the PL foreign? Bring through our own domestic players and save millions.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:06 pm Im still waiting for the downturn in prices caused by Covid 19 . . . . . Thought it was going to be a buyers market.
It looks like a lot of clubs are going to have to start slashing their wage bills. That should benefit the clubs that are on the rise (those that got promoted). Plus L1 and L2 have the salary cap to consider now.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

You don't think if Bielsa had contacts we could use we wouldn't be using them?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:38 pm You don't think if Bielsa had contacts we could use we wouldn't be using them?
We know that we have scouted abroad, Orta is abroad right now.

But Orta is focused on domestic, he has been since his 1st season c**k up.
Signed

King Cjay

Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

I agree that £22m for a Championship CB is outrageous, but if we need to go to £25 to secure White it’s better than paying £15m for someone who ultimately fails to cut it. I personally think Bielsa will spot another relatively unknown diamond like White at a bargain price, and that’s who we’ll end up with.

Bearing in mind we also need an Enganche player to understudy Pablo and a striker, I hope he has a long list of quality bargains lined up, given our mooted budget.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:11 pm I agree that £22m for a Championship CB is outrageous, but if we need to go to £25 to secure White it’s better than paying £15m for someone who ultimately fails to cut it. I personally think Bielsa will spot another relatively unknown diamond like White at a bargain price, and that’s who we’ll end up with.

Bearing in mind we also need an Enganche player to understudy Pablo and a striker, I hope he has a long list of quality bargains lined up, given our mooted budget.
That's why Taylor Harwood-Bellis is the back up option.

If we spend £25-30m on White, that's almost all of the budget gone already and we still need a striker and a playmaker.

Martinez Quarta £11m, Thiago Almada £16m, Nico Gonzalez £15m works out better than spending big on one player.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Imo the way to approach it is the Leipzig/Dortmund way. But young gems to develop and sell off for 3x what we paid. Not overspending on Championship players.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:01 am Imo the way to approach it is the Leipzig/Dortmund way. But young gems to develop and sell off for 3x what we paid. Not overspending on Championship players.
It is a great way buy only if you get it right. Easy to spend decent money on a youngster and then they never fulfill their potential. Pawel Cibiscki was looked at by lots of big clubs, Milan, Juventus etc but where is he at now? Dortmund have got it right in recent years but they won't look so clever if Jude Bellingham flops after they paid £25m for him.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

weasel wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:19 pm It is a great way buy only if you get it right. Easy to spend decent money on a youngster and then they never fulfill their potential. Pawel Cibiscki was looked at by lots of big clubs, Milan, Juventus etc but where is he at now? Dortmund have got it right in recent years but they won't look so clever if Jude Bellingham flops after they paid £25m for him.
True, but I was thinking more wonder kid types like Almada, Harwood-Bellis etc, rather than £1m players on tiny wages. Also Cibicki and the like were coached by Heckaday, who would turn Messi into a pub player. Had they had the benefit of Bielsa, they'd have turned out a lot better.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:39 am That's why Taylor Harwood-Bellis is the back up option.

If we spend £25-30m on White, that's almost all of the budget gone already and we still need a striker and a playmaker.

Martinez Quarta £11m, Thiago Almada £16m, Nico Gonzalez £15m works out better than spending big on one player.
Chuck Foyth in for £10-12mil and you still only end up paying £50-55mil.

What makes Ben White worth twice as much as Foyth?

It beggars belief that we arent being smarter.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Thiago Almada has tested positive for Coronavirus apparently.

Hope he gets well soon.
Signed

King Cjay

Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

This would be sad for us and White.

"...But the Blues could well scupper those plans, with Frank Lampard’s side planning to hijack Liverpool’s move for the 22-year-old according to the Daily Star.

Brighton are thought to have slapped a £40million price tag on White, with Liverpool poised to make an opening bid of £20million, and Chelsea are prepared to better anything that’s put on the table."
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

SG90 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:39 am
All great in theory, until Quarta ends up being £15m, Almada £25m and Gonzalez £20m
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

I'm still holding out some hope that we might get Ben White back.

Surely he knows he's gonna be much less respected or involved at a club like LFC or Chelsea? But they have the money to eliminate us from a bidding war.

Another hope is that the top PL clubs have expectations to sign known and proven international/elite level players. Ben White did have a great season for us, but he's not an established top level player yet.

I believe he would definitely become that type of player under Bielsa, and elsewhere he may need to just stagnate while he's waiting for an opportunity to start. Which is also bad for his motivation and aspirations.

I fully expect Brighton will sell him this summer, or they must play him to develop him and increase his value. With the players Brighton have brought in and their need for goals, they need to sell and will just want as much as they can get.

After such a thrilling season for White how will he feel if he's sat on the bench at Brighton watching inferior players struggle again to stay up against similar level teams like Villa, WBA, Fulham, Newcastle, Palace.

Does he want that, or does he want to embrace an amazing potentially career defining opportunity at LUFC?

Orta and the players should be constantly in his ear :duno:
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

The Leeds boss was snapped with a fan in Costa coffee with several pieces of paper, which appear to show scouting reports on Ole Becker.

Fans have also claimed that Reading's Michael Olise profile was also on the sheets of paper.

Oh no not another alert like the folder on his power point display

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Finn Ole Becker

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finn_Ole_Becker

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk