The "January" Transfer Window 20/21 season

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
talkshowhost
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: The "Summer" Transfer Window 20/21 season

Post by talkshowhost »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:36 am I think that certainly Radrizani deserves some credit for turning things around, let’s face it he could not possibly have been as bad as recent previous owners, but he was very green and naive when he 1st came in, appointing a string of astonishingly poor managers, but got right eventually, with the help of Orta I assume, by appointing Bielsa.

There is no doubt about Orta’s commitment to Leeds United and the binoculars thing at Derby was absolutely hilarious, but as far as I can see, the only plus points on his cv are Klich and Bielsa. All the others have either yet to be proven or have been complete disasters, wasting the club millions, culminating in the, possibly eyewateringly(is that even a word?) expensive JKA fiasco.

There is no doubt in my mind that 99% of the credit for the last two years should go to Marcelo Bielsa.
Of the views offered re Orta , I have to align myself with this one. Whilst recognising his commitment, personality and enthusiasm, I would find it a huge leap to suggest that his kudos and trajectory has been in the ascendency during his time at ER. IMO, there have been far more misses than hits, some spectacularly costly ones - which I feel could reasonably be attributed to a combination of poor judgement and overly generous, arguably irresponsible, up front financial commitment.

Cannot bring myself to even type JKA - so will leave this piece of spectacularly poor business to stand on its own merits. In relation to Costa and Harrison, I suggest that on the evidence to date, both have some way to go to cement their status as anything other than "half decent" signings". They have "had their day" at times, but are equally wasteful, poor finishers and blessed with a propensity for placing the final ball/cross anywhere other than where it was intended/needed. As a financial transaction, I feel that Costa's signing at this stage reflects far better on Wolves than Leeds United.

We must of course attribute praise to those who were instrumental in securing the services of Bielsa - and here, Orta deserves huge credit along with AR. Klich, I rate at the championship level. He has "done the business" more often than not - though we must naturally reserve definitive judgement until we witness whether he is capable of making the step up. Bamford, despite his 16 goals, frustrates me to the edge of apoplectic rage. Probably missed another 20 at least, and, IMO, almost single-handedly delayed our promotion celebrations. If he is indeed (which I suspect he will be) still leading our line and perpetuating his unconvincing portrayal of a proven goal scorer come September, and, further, if he is still being aided and abetted in his endeavours by Messrs Harrison and Costa - then I fear that my current euphoria could be acutely curtailed.

Of course, I sincerely hope that all three take the Premier League by storm that the two wide men break all "assist" records and that Bamford finishes with the Golden Boot. Sadly, I feel we need much better to make an impact - but have no problem with devouring huge portions of humble pie come next May/June/July/August/ September etc............... As for Mr Orta (have done better)? Jury still out for me. Needs to deliver in the next few weeks to get me fully on board.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Welcome to the forum talkshowhost 👍🏻
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Radrizzani brought in Orta, Kinnear and Bielsa, and this team has won us the league by ten clear points whilst staying within ffp. It is a remarkable achievement, considering where we have been before.

No doubt Bielsa's coaching is key, but he doesn't operate in a vacuum. Orta has kept him happily at the club for two seasons, which in itself is no mean feat, given Bielsa's exacting standards, and propensity to walk if things aren't right. If we secure Bielsa's services for another season, or more, then we will be well on the way to establishing his culture of football at the club, and hopefully the enduring success that comes with it.

All signings are a risk. I think the figures in general are something like 3 in 10 working well, and 1 in 10 being a standout success. People criticising Orta should bear this in mind imo, as well as his ability in 'managing' Bielsa. As long as Bielsa is happy with the set up, then all's good.
talkshowhost
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by talkshowhost »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:35 pm Welcome to the forum talkshowhost 👍🏻

:tup:
Cheers fella
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Welcome Talkshowhost, agree with you on Orta.

:tup:

Are you Colin Murray missing us now we arent on Quest :)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Telegraph linking us with Newcastle midfielder Matty Longstaff.

Good young player, lots of potential and already able to play Prem football.

Out of contract so would only need to pay compensation. Downside is that he is being chased by plenty of clubs.
Signed

King Cjay

talkshowhost
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by talkshowhost »

SaraM wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:37 pm Radrizzani brought in Orta, Kinnear and Bielsa, and this team has won us the league by ten clear points whilst staying within ffp. It is a remarkable achievement, considering where we have been before.

No doubt Bielsa's coaching is key, but he doesn't operate in a vacuum. Orta has kept him happily at the club for two seasons, which in itself is no mean feat, given Bielsa's exacting standards, and propensity to walk if things aren't right. If we secure Bielsa's services for another season, or more, then we will be well on the way to establishing his culture of football at the club, and hopefully the enduring success that comes with it.

All signings are a risk. I think the figures in general are something like 3 in 10 working well, and 1 in 10 being a standout success. People criticising Orta should bear this in mind imo, as well as his ability in 'managing' Bielsa. As long as Bielsa is happy with the set up, then all's good.

Not sure those stats are particularly impressive SaraM. But this is of course a matter of opinion, and probably quite subjective depending on how you approach the analysis.

Personally, (in my own contribution to the debate) I was commenting simply on Orta's credentials/success in the recruitment/sale of footballers.

However, if we are judging his performance on managerial acumen and staff management, I would ask if we are truly able to suggest that Orta is responsible for keeping Marcelo happy at the club for two years? Or indeed has been solely responsible for managing him during this period. I wonder if AK and AR - or even the players/results have had an equally influential - if not greater - role in securing Bielsa's commitment. I have no idea, of course. I am merely reflecting on whether we can categorically isolate Orta as being the sole catalyst and therefore key player in securing Bielsa's apparent contentment?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

talkshowhost wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:43 pm :tup:
Cheers fella
Welcome Talkshowhost :tup:

So who are you on Talksport ;-)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:03 pm Telegraph linking us with Newcastle midfielder Matty Longstaff.

Good young player, lots of potential and already able to play Prem football.

Out of contract so would only need to pay compensation. Downside is that he is being chased by plenty of clubs.
One of the two brothers at the toon

Is Matty the better one ?
talkshowhost
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by talkshowhost »

1964white wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:41 pm Welcome Talkshowhost :tup:

So who are you on Talksport ;-)
Thanks for the welcome.

:) I can see where you guys are coming from, and perhaps I should have thought a little longer about the moniker. Truth is, I just love Radiohead.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

talkshowhost wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:02 pm Thanks for the welcome.

:) I can see where you guys are coming from, and perhaps I should have thought a little longer about the moniker. Truth is, I just love Radiohead.
Good man :tup: one of my favourite bands
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

[ur[/url]
1964white wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:43 pm One of the two brothers at the toon

Is Matty the better one ?
The younger one no idea if he is the better one.
Signed

King Cjay

dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Did I read somewhere Bielsa has a list of 5 players for each position that he wants on a scale of most desirable to lesser picks, so I’d imagine all players will be quality
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

I watched the Celtic game this afternoon, and I was extremely impressed with Odsonne Edouard. A very classy player and a very accomplished hat trick. He would break the bank, but him and Ben White, and I would be very happy. For all you moaning about not signing anyone, a) Bielsa hasn't signed his contract renewal yet, and b) the window doesn't close until October.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

talkshowhost wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:22 pm Thanks :tup: Cjay

Not sure those stats are particularly impressive SaraM. But this is of course a matter of opinion, and probably quite subjective depending on how you approach the analysis.

Personally, (in my own contribution to the debate) I was commenting simply on Orta's credentials/success in the recruitment/sale of footballers.

However, if we are judging his performance on managerial acumen and staff management, I would ask if we are truly able to suggest that Orta is responsible for keeping Marcelo happy at the club for two years? Or indeed has been solely responsible for managing him during this period. I wonder if AK and AR - or even the players/results have had an equally influential - if not greater - role in securing Bielsa's commitment. I have no idea, of course. I am merely reflecting on whether we can categorically isolate Orta as being the sole catalyst and therefore key player in securing Bielsa's apparent contentment?
I wasn't claiming the stats were impressive, or attributing them to Orta; the point was that the 'success' rate for signings in general is low, so fans expectations are unreasonably high.

How would you see Orta's role as sporting director, if not to meet the expectations of the manager? From the first approach, Bielsa was very clear about what he wanted; that must have been fulfilled, otherwise he wouldn't still be here.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:24 pm I watched the Celtic game this afternoon, and I was extremely impressed with Odsonne Edouard. A very classy player and a very accomplished hat trick. He would break the bank, but him and Ben White, and I would be very happy. For all you moaning about not signing anyone, a) Bielsa hasn't signed his contract renewal yet, and b) the window doesn't close until October.
Lennon concerned

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53541535
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Gandalf wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:24 pm I watched the Celtic game this afternoon, and I was extremely impressed with Odsonne Edouard. A very classy player and a very accomplished hat trick. He would break the bank, but him and Ben White, and I would be very happy. For all you moaning about not signing anyone, a) Bielsa hasn't signed his contract renewal yet, and b) the window doesn't close until October.
Celtic will have a job keeping him at the club, wether Leeds can entice him or not remains to be seen.

While the window does remain open until October we all know by now that Bielsa pushes for a maximum lead in time at TA before players get used.
Last season both Eddie and JKA were left playing catch up and in tbe end neither worked out.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

talkshowhost wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:43 pm :tup:
Cheers fella
Welcome talkshowhost
dezzy wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:43 pm Did I read somewhere Bielsa has a list of 5 players for each position that he wants on a scale of most desirable to lesser picks, so I’d imagine all players will be quality
I’ve seen this reported in a few places. It’s certainly promising, Radz/Orta will be desperate to keep Bielsa and his track record of walking out of clubs that don’t get his transfer targets will surely scare them into agreeing to his demands.

Gandalf wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:24 pm I watched the Celtic game this afternoon, and I was extremely impressed with Odsonne Edouard. A very classy player and a very accomplished hat trick. He would break the bank, but him and Ben White, and I would be very happy.
Looks the absolute business. We would have a hard time getting him but I agree that him + Ben White would be a reasonably good window
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Fridge wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:58 am Welcome talkshowhost

I’ve seen this reported in a few places. It’s certainly promising, Radz/Orta will be desperate to keep Bielsa and his track record of walking out of clubs that don’t get his transfer targets will surely scare them into agreeing to his demands.

Looks the absolute business. We would have a hard time getting him but I agree that him + Ben White would be a reasonably good window
Ya a bit worrying though that we haven’t announced that he has signed yet. Maybe he’s waiting to see if we get players in ASAP as he needs to get to work
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

dezzy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:20 pm Ya a bit worrying though that we haven’t announced that he has signed yet. Maybe he’s waiting to see if we get players in ASAP as he needs to get to work
I’ve stopped trying to second guess Bielsa all together now. The man is an enigma.