Ian Poveda- Wendies loan confirmed

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Ian Poveda- Wendies move potentially

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:00 pm It was notable when Bielsa started using him that he had fast feet and plenty of tricks. I'll never forget that 45 minutes he ripped Man City apart. But he never seemed to have any end product. He was exciting but I don't remember him having a goal assist.

I didn't follow his loan spells. But when he came back this season, it was still more of what we'd seen before - lively, tricky, but no end game.

That may change if he starts stringing together a few 90 minute runs. Like you, I hope so. I wish him all the best.
No goals, no assists in his 900+ minutes playing for Leeds.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Ian Poveda- Wendies move potentially

Post by John in Louisiana »

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:43 am Every single player has a ceiling, a manager will take a look and see if he can work with him and on him, some he will know straight away is a lost cause, he may give others time to prove themselves, he may even send some out on loan to see if they improve at a lower level ready to step up whilst not entirely giving up on them.

Btw, it's quality i want in the squad of players (and the manager) and certainly not 'quantity'

We've had enough utter shite quantity additions from our beloved clown.

DF is moving us on.

Thank the Lord.
This. :clap:

Plus, I don't buy into the notion that our squad is thin. The only position we're not two deep is Rutter's.

Poveda was never going to displace either Bamford or Piroe, so it's a good thing for him that he's able to go somewhere he might get significant playing time. Wish him the best.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Ian Poveda- Wendies loan confirmed

Post by Barlow Boy »

Poveda came on in the 73rd minute for Wednesday in their 4-0 defeat at Huddersfield.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Ben Scooby lufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ben Scooby lufc »

I thought he looked promising pre season! But if he's not making it into the starting line-up no game time as such then maybe he'll do better with sheff weds.
;-) Yeboah against Liverpool :!: :!: Crossbar and in. :love: :love:
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Ben Scooby lufc wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:19 pm I thought he looked promising pre season! But if he's not making it into the starting line-up no game time as such then maybe he'll do better with sheff weds.
He was always promising. But never took the next step (unlike Summerville for example). Lots of great workrate and trickery. But no end product. Hope he finds a place and makes the grade - even if it is the wendies.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

He was never good enough for us, had the chances and didn't take them, the reason he was always farmed out.
If we are serious about promotion to the greed is good league, it's better we lose certain players now.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

mentalcase wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:13 pm He was never good enough for us, had the chances and didn't take them, the reason he was always farmed out.
If we are serious about promotion to the greed is good league, it's better we lose certain players now.
But if we get promoted , our squad is very small. Take out Rodon, Anthony, Roberts too.

Do we then have to do a Forest and make 20 new signings?
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:55 pm But if we get promoted , our squad is very small. Take out Rodon, Anthony, Roberts too.

Ask the experts on here who continue to tell us "our squad is big enough"
Poveda isn't good enough for this team, if we are serious about promotion, we need better, much better, I have reservations about many of the squad to be able to survive if we get promotion.
I know most think we'll buy IF, we go up, I doubt that .
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:55 pm But if we get promoted , our squad is very small. Take out Rodon, Anthony, Roberts too.

The thing is that with trimming the squad it makes no difference to what we'd have to do in the summer if we do get promoted. It isn't like Poveda, Ayling etc were suddenly going to be part of the squad so we'd be releasing them anyway. Evn if we didn't get promoted we'd be releasing them.
Ben Scooby lufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ben Scooby lufc »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:50 pm He was always promising. But never took the next step (unlike Summerville for example). Lots of great workrate and trickery. But no end product. Hope he finds a place and makes the grade - even if it is the wendies.
True! And Somerville is fast becoming a Leeds ledgend. He's my personal favourite player! Most teams struggle to contain him, especially in the championship. He's premier league standard in my eyes. :fire: :fire:
;-) Yeboah against Liverpool :!: :!: Crossbar and in. :love: :love:
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

You totally reassess the situation Andrew and let DF decide who he thinks is good enough for the Prem with his scouts.

I'm pretty sure he's gonna have to take a look at whatever desert rats are still belonging to Leeds and whom he feels good enough for him - I'll be v v surprised if that's any at all bar Sinisterra, and we don't need him, but i'd like £25m for him for DF to spend.

Get this term finished, then regroup, it ALL depends on which league we're in, and there's feck all we can do till we know.

I hope we beat Plymouth now coz i'd love a test against say Villa.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I'm with you there Kenny. It is up to DF to assess. My feeling is that you don't really want to sign more than 4 players that would likely be first team players because you then risk losing the togetherness and harmony of the squad. Obviously I would want Rodon to be signed and he wouldn't count as a new face in that sense. As such you have to identify the areas where you need the new faces most, sort of like with Wilko when we got up and he signed Lukic and McAllister as the key players that would go straight into the first team. The following season it was Rod Wallace and Dorigo. So when we won the title the nucleus of the squad still consisted of the players who had won promotion, Sterland, Fairclough, Whyte, Batty, Speed, Strachan and Chapman. So he identified the players that were good enough but quickly replaced those that weren't.

So I think the ideal balance is signing 3 or 4 players maximum that are likely to be starters. After that probably a handful of players that are younger, foreign or general work in progresses that won't be expecting to be starters but make the squad stronger and can hopefully develop and push their way into the team, players like a Willy Gnonto type signing, that improves on what is in the squad, is hugnry to get into the first team but knows he won't walk straight in (am talking in the sense of when we signed him last year as a prem club rather than the problems this year).
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Really impressive first start for Poveda.

Got an assist, made more tackles than the rest of the midfield combined.

Almost scored a worldie and had 1 touch in particular that was a thing of beauty

Happy for him.

Wendies fans love him

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic ... /#comments
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:08 pm Really impressive first start for Poveda.

Got an assist, made more tackles than the rest of the midfield combined.

Almost scored a worldie and had 1 touch in particular that was a thing of beauty

Happy for him.

Wendies fans love him

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic ... /#comments
Watched that game yesterday. He was in the 10 role and played well.

Much more productive than he has been with us. Not saying he would have succeeded with us. Big fish in a small pool analogy now. But he definitely showed that when trusted he can do a job.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd assume he went for game time, I don't think I could understand the waste if Farke wanted him gone, would be a senseless decision
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:55 pm I'd assume he went for game time, I don't think I could understand the waste if Farke wanted him gone, would be a senseless decision
He could have still done a job for us off the bench. Especially a bench we couldn't fill. Today's bench only had 4 attacking players on it. And 4 defenders. We know Farke likes more attackers and less defenders on the bench. So, I was a little peeved when he left and we didn't sign a replacement. Thought he was still of some use.

The report was that Poveda said he wanted to go. He'd met with Farke who said he wasn't going to use him much. So, it's all fair. Happy. And wish him all the best.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think Farke has been very fair and honest with the players - which is probably a good thing and builds trust. It also means that you don't have unhappy players around that accuse you of lying (i.e. saying that Farke promised them minutes but then didn't play them etc)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

weasel wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:43 pm I think Farke has been very fair and honest with the players - which is probably a good thing and builds trust. It also means that you don't have unhappy players around that accuse you of lying (i.e. saying that Farke promised them minutes but then didn't play them etc)
Same. If Farke was being selfish, he'd have kept him around until the end of the season.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:55 pm Same. If Farke was being selfish, he'd have kept him around until the end of the season.
It always felt to me like when Poveda was brought on it was almost a case of giving him minutes to try to be fair to him. Think it now means that those minutes that Poveda got can be given to Gelhardt who hopefully finds his spark again - hopefully the Plymouth match showed that he still has it in his locker.