Inverted Wingers

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Inverted Wingers

Post by Cjay »

One thing that has confused me all season is our persistent nature in playing non inverted wingers.

Its usually been Hernandez right Ali left.

Hernandez drifts but Ali always stayed wide, i get that, maintain width make the pitch big.

And natural wingers can easier play the cross in between the defence and gk which suits players like Roofe who arent likely to bully a cb and require movement to win headers.

But as we have seen recently Ali is much more threatening from the right, it also makes it easier to get the overload for the fn because he and the winger arent trying to occupy the same spaces.

Same with Clarke, watched him a lot for the u23s and he is so much better from the left (as we saw vs Villa), he is 2 footed to a degree so he can do down the line but his big strength is cutting in and driving at the centre of the defence, pulling defenders out etc.

I dont get why Bielsa has limited the attacking potential of two of our wingers by playing them on the wrong sides.

Play them Inverted it means the fb either has to go with them and leave a huge gap for our full back to run into, or lets them go and one of the midfielders or cbs have to come out of there shape to engage.

Was especially frustrating when you could see teams sat deep in shape, we kept persisting with the same stuff.

But had we just switched the wingers that presents a possible solution imo.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Inverted Wingers

Post by weasel »

I think some of it has also been dictated by who we have had as full back as a large part of Bielsa's way is that the full backs overlap.
joelufc20
First Team
First Team

Re: Inverted Wingers

Post by joelufc20 »

I can't question Bielsas methods at all. The guy is a genius. I'll leave the football too him.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND

[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]