The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd April) Summerville back to his best in seven goal thriller

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd April) Summerville back to his best in seven goal thriller

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 23rd April, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Summerville back to his best in seven goal thriller

Leeds bought an end to Middlesbrough's nine game unbeaten run last night, edging a seven goal thriller at the Riverside Stadium. In a thoroughly open and entertaining encounter (for the neutral) where attack became the best form of defence and challenges were plentiful, Leeds just about justified their three points, though had to come from behind to get the job done.

Three goals in the opening 18 minutes gave fans a taster of what was on offer, and from a Leeds perspective, they weren't disappointed! Summerville netted his 19th goal of the season, from the penalty spot (14 mins) after Rutter was bundled to the floor; cancelling out Jones' earlier strike. Five minutes later, there were jubilant scenes in the South-East corner of the ground, when Bamford ghosted into the hosts six yard box, and bundled Firpo's cross over the line.

The visitors exhilaration didn't last for long. Goal machine Latte Lath was given far too much freedom by Ampadu on the edge of the area, levelling up on the half hour mark. Once again Leeds came back, this time with Gnonto, cleverly lifting the ball over Dieng after being sent clear by Summerville (39mins), sending the visitors 3-2 ahead at half time. Leeds extended their lead against the run of play on the hour mark, with Summerville once again doing the damage. Surrounded by five defenders, the Dutch destroyer was able to bend his effort into the far corner of the net, leaving Dieng planted to the spot.

Leeds needed their two goal buffer, and never looked comfortable at the back. Boro's constant pressure paid dividends when Latte Lath pulled one back with three minutes on the clock, but came too late to get anything out of the game.

Farke: We were at our best level attacking wise

Speaking after the game, Leeds boss Daniel Farke was full of praise for both sides for putting on a great advertisement for Championship football, but reserved special appreciation for his sides 'steel and resilience to grind it out'. Whilst describing his young side as naive, and admitted they gave the ball away far too often. With just 33% possession and 76% pass accuracy, their game play at times could be considered sloppy, but their 'offensive quality' up front made a huge difference last night.

He praised their mentality after coming back after going behind, but was most pleased with Leeds finishing, admitting 'we were at our best level attacking wise'. Farke said...

I think first of all it was a good advertisement for Championship football and all the supporters enjoyed the game between two good sides who really went for it and wanted to win and massive compliments to the lads to win this. The game started in the worst possible way for us and it was really unlucky and disappointing, a deflected pass and they scored. Middlesbrough played with freedom and it was more or less their last highlight and they could go for it and were 1-0 up early on and the whole stadium was buzzing versus Leeds United.

With some many young players, to show such a reaction and create so many chances and score fantastic goals was great. At times, we had were a bit naive and it was a bit of a basketball game and we lost the ball unnecessarily in our half. But compliments to Middlesbrough, it was a fantastic performance.

We showed a great mentality to go 3-2 up at half-time. It was important to calm them down and their nerves down against the ball and work a bit more on our structure against the bar and we controlled the game more with the ball in the second half. They had more possession, but we had chances on the counterattack and scored a goal and had chances to bury the game.

Then it’s football and the Championship. Out of one long ball, they scored to make it 3-4 and it was a tight game again from a long ball and a crazy game of football for the last minutes and their keeper was in our box more than theirs. It was a great mentality and the stadium was awake and you feel the pressure and you want to win the game that much and some players were there with knocks on the pitch and it was difficult.

We had to show some steel and resilience to grind it out and we did. “Many compliments for the hard mentality and character of our players and offensive quality. At times, it was a bit wild. But I was happy with the whole team. I am happy as we were at our best level attacking wise.

mentalcase

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd April) Summerville back to his best in seven goal thriller

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all
A deserved victory but it certainly made nervey watching.
I honestly thought it would be better for us to go a goal down last night just to give us a proper boot up the arse, so it proved.
Sloppy hold up play and sloppy defending cost us, but luckily it was in the championship.
The ref could easily have sent 2 boro players off but let too much go, was gnonto offside, inconclusive , but who cares.
I thought Farke sould have dragged both bamford and rutter off at halftiem, I think he leaves rutter on for the unknown, no idea why he leaves nbamford on although he got in well for the goal, thats all he did .
Terrific forward play from firpo but crikey, if we go up, firpo & bamford will be an embarrassment and if rutter keeps losing the ball as often I dread to think what will happen, also Gray lost possession too much last night.
All in all, a great 3 points, lets get 6 more.
Well done DF for getting them firing again, some excellent attacking link up play.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd April) Summerville back to his best in seven goal thriller

Post by Ellandback1 »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:14 am Morning all
A deserved victory but it certainly made nervey watching.
I honestly thought it would be better for us to go a goal down last night just to give us a proper boot up the arse, so it proved.
Sloppy hold up play and sloppy defending cost us, but luckily it was in the championship.
The ref could easily have sent 2 boro players off but let too much go, was gnonto offside, inconclusive , but who cares.
I thought Farke sould have dragged both bamford and rutter off at halftiem, I think he leaves rutter on for the unknown, no idea why he leaves nbamford on although he got in well for the goal, thats all he did .
Terrific forward play from firpo but crikey, if we go up, firpo & bamford will be an embarrassment and if rutter keeps losing the ball as often I dread to think what will happen, also Gray lost possession too much last night.
All in all, a great 3 points, lets get 6 more.
Well done DF for getting them firing again, some excellent attacking link up play.
The thing is, we don't make a meal of it when we get fouled, and it's cost us points this season, unlike EVERY other Championship side, apart from maybe Boro last night.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

What I meant was Boro players just got up, and got on with it last night.

Falling over, getting a dangerous free kick probably makes up half the points in the Championship.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:48 am What I meant was Boro players just got up, and got on with it last night.

Falling over, getting a dangerous free kick probably makes up half the points in the Championship.
I agree, problem is, we don't have any significant threat from set pieces so pretty pointless playing for them.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

We certainly seemed to have got our mojo back from an attacking point of view but our ever so resilient defence were all over the place at times last night.
Even Ampadu and Rodon looked nervy last night.
But we hung in there and got the 3 points and that's all that matters at this stage of the season.
Huge, huge game on Friday now.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
ruttermania
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ruttermania »

To say that that Bamford did nothing other than score the goal is so blatantly biased but pretty much par for the course for the Bamford haters . He had a couple of excellent shots well saved and an 'offside' goal which wasn't replayed at all so one couldn't assess it ( makes me think it was a dodgy decision). He shielded the ball well on a number of occasions including in the build up to the 4th goal and also provided the shield to prevent Gnonto's ' offside' being seen . In general the link up among the front 5 was good but the problem was getting it up there which was largely due to losing possession in our own half which wasn't primarily Bamford's fault . As for hauling him off at half time given Piroe's incapacity to make any meaningful contribution that would have been a major blunder. Now that Bamford has had one go in off him he is due another streaky run of goalscoring which only has to last two games .
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

We all have our opinions and non so more than any other player than bamford, you only believe what you want to believe but that's your opinion, don't call everyone "bamford haters" for having valid opinions, you've lost already with that.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Looks like Gnonto was onside.
I have said on numerous occasions the VAR draw lines to suit, here's proof if needed.

tempFileForShare_20240423-121818.jpg
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Doctor doctor, I feel like I'm losing it. I have done all the analysis, tracked every performance Farke has made since he started at Norwich, looked at the players he has had, how he used Pukki, where on the pitched he scored goals from, who was responsible for the assists.

I have analysed the home and away form, plotted the trajectory of his success at Norwich, followed the arc of the curve that led to their demise in the premiership.

Made spreadsheets in excel recording the precise times he has made substitutions, how many and how often. I've looked into the finances and how much each player is worth, how much the team has cost compared to other teams. Looked at Farke's success rate against better managers.

I had it all figured out, had made a watertight case for myself of why he was bound to fail. The metrics were all against him. My data doesn't lie. For the life of me I can't comprehend how we have got to where we are.

That 4-3 win was the last straw, it's not that I lost a 100 quid on Boro to win, but everything beneath my feet is like shifting sand, more like quicksand that I am sinking into, I couldn't bear it if we won the league... All that analysis in vain.

I feel the rug has been pulled out from under me. If we could only make the playoffs. That way I might save some face.

I just feel so disconsolate at getting so many things wrong, my self confidence has been shot to bits, I have this funny feeling that nobody will believe another word I say.

Doctor please can you help me... give me a pill or something.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:22 am Looks like Gnonto was onside.
I have said on numerous occasions the VAR draw lines to suit, here's proof if needed.

tempFileForShare_20240423-121818.jpg
IMG-20240423-WA0000.jpg
I posted this on the post match thread also
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Giving Bamford credit for shielding Gnonto is not exactly justifiable praise. I think luck had the biggest part to play on the basis that the linesman did not do his job properly - It wasn’t even marginal. If that had been the opposite we would have been fuming with many a conspiratorial suggestion thrown in.

Paddy did OK last night. I have no problem with him leading the line, but Piroe is not a like for like replacement. When he plays 9 he offers something entirely different. For me he prefers to intelligently lurk rather than being the tip of the spear. Piroe is a much better option when we are dominating possession, particularly against a low block.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:57 am We certainly seemed to have got our mojo back from an attacking point of view but our ever so resilient defence were all over the place at times last night.
Even Ampadu and Rodon looked nervy last night.
But we hung in there and got the 3 points and that's all that matters at this stage of the season.
Huge, huge game on Friday now.
Big game tonight to be fair. Ideally Southampton beat Leicester and then Hull get at least a point, but preferably 3 against Coventry. It would leave Hull just 3 points off the playoffs when they meet Ipswich. (I haven’t looked to see when Norwich next play, but Hull need to convert the game in hand into points. ) Whether the psychology attached makes them more nervy is secondary to a team that has everything to play for - Players tend to give that extra few percent and have a more acute level of concentration.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Firpo starts the move then gets the assist
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Firpo with another assist, the man is on fire.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

ruttermania wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:06 am To say that that Bamford did nothing other than score the goal is so blatantly biased but pretty much par for the course for the Bamford haters . He had a couple of excellent shots well saved and an 'offside' goal which wasn't replayed at all so one couldn't assess it ( makes me think it was a dodgy decision). He shielded the ball well on a number of occasions including in the build up to the 4th goal and also provided the shield to prevent Gnonto's ' offside' being seen . In general the link up among the front 5 was good but the problem was getting it up there which was largely due to losing possession in our own half which wasn't primarily Bamford's fault . As for hauling him off at half time given Piroe's incapacity to make any meaningful contribution that would have been a major blunder. Now that Bamford has had one go in off him he is due another streaky run of goalscoring which only has to last two games .
You just can’t help yourself, can you? You’ve been told, just because someone doesn’t rate someone, doesn’t mean they hate someone.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:36 am IMG-20240423-WA0000.jpg
I posted this on the post match thread also
Genius, Bill’s a star.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

ruttermania wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:06 am To say that that Bamford did nothing other than score the goal is so blatantly biased but pretty much par for the course for the Bamford haters . He had a couple of excellent shots well saved and an 'offside' goal which wasn't replayed at all so one couldn't assess it ( makes me think it was a dodgy decision). He shielded the ball well on a number of occasions including in the build up to the 4th goal and also provided the shield to prevent Gnonto's ' offside' being seen . In general the link up among the front 5 was good but the problem was getting it up there which was largely due to losing possession in our own half which wasn't primarily Bamford's fault . As for hauling him off at half time given Piroe's incapacity to make any meaningful contribution that would have been a major blunder. Now that Bamford has had one go in off him he is due another streaky run of goalscoring which only has to last two games .
Who said that?

TBF he's coming off 4/5 really bad games but yes he was good last night, back to playing football rather than going through the motions or trying to wind up the opposition
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Bob on Mania, what these so called football fans don't seem to see with PB is the blindingly obvious in this 4-2-3-1 set up of DF's.

They simply don't understand the role (they think it's just running :roll: ) you could point it out to them, but they still wouldn't get or see it.

It amazes me they choose to watch football tbh when they can't see what's going on. Like i've said before, take your eyes off the ball, and just follow PB everywhere you can, either live at the game, which is best, or as much as tha can ont telebox, and whilst you're at it, watch the oppo's CH's watching him watching you watching me.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Sean_Nile wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:24 am Doctor doctor, I feel like I'm losing it. I have done all the analysis, tracked every performance Farke has made since he started at Norwich, looked at the players he has had, how he used Pukki, where on the pitched he scored goals from, who was responsible for the assists.

I have analysed the home and away form, plotted the trajectory of his success at Norwich, followed the arc of the curve that led to their demise in the premiership.

Made spreadsheets in excel recording the precise times he has made substitutions, how many and how often. I've looked into the finances and how much each player is worth, how much the team has cost compared to other teams. Looked at Farke's success rate against better managers.

I had it all figured out, had made a watertight case for myself of why he was bound to fail. The metrics were all against him. My data doesn't lie. For the life of me I can't comprehend how we have got to where we are.

That 4-3 win was the last straw, it's not that I lost a 100 quid on Boro to win, but everything beneath my feet is like shifting sand, more like quicksand that I am sinking into, I couldn't bear it if we won the league... All that analysis in vain.

I feel the rug has been pulled out from under me. If we could only make the playoffs. That way I might save some face.

I just feel so disconsolate at getting so many things wrong, my self confidence has been shot to bits, I have this funny feeling that nobody will believe another word I say.

Doctor please can you help me... give me a pill or something.
:roflmao: :mrgreen:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)