I want playoff football and here's why

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: I want playoff football and here's why

Post by Irish Ian »

GreennWhite wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:34 am I dont understand peoples mentality when they hate someone or something so badly.They need to go and lie on a couch and talk to someone :)
ppppppppppppppppppffffffffffffffftttttttttttttt...

I hate it when someone other than my therapist tells me I need couch time.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Same way am completely apoplectic when I am only allowed 10 emojies to describe how much ire I currrently have for all the haters who come on here with their tongue in cheek quips.

I am seething. Do you really think you are doing any good trying to bringing your some sense to the debate?

We are second in the league, cant you see that???

You make my blood boil!!!

I am off to watch some Alf Garnet on Youtube to calm down.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:44 pm ppppppppppppppppppffffffffffffffftttttttttttttt...

I hate it when someone other than my therapist tells me I need couch time.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Same way am completely apoplectic when I am only allowed 10 emojies to describe how much ire I currrently have for all the haters who come on here with their tongue in cheek quips.

I am seething. Do you really think you are doing any good trying to bringing your some sense to the debate?

We are second in the league, cant you see that???

You make my blood boil!!!

I am off to watch some Alf Garnet on Youtube to calm down.
:lol:
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Clacton White wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:41 pm I will give it some thought 😉.
Seriously, some clubs I just don't like under any circumstances.....I don't like Cardiff one little bit , but will still go for them over the Ipscum....that's how much I hate them . Of course the usual suspects I think we all have on here... obligatory hates such as Chel*** and Manure, however I do like to watch YouTube Flying Pig United and a Chel*** one when they lose and watch these supporters go ballistic. Ipscum don't have that as they are too small and insignificant...no support worth watching...I think the only one is Benjamin Bloom and he never loses it . Shame, Flying Pig always loses it insane proportions....it's brilliant .
I’m wondering, what was in your Sunday lunch gravy? And could you send Mrs OB the recipe?
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:38 am :roflmao: I’m going to use that line the next time one of those people gets in my way on the pavement
I'm sure you will Mr Pot.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

It is impossible to really know how we will fare in the play-offs. I remember the 87 one but can't remember what sort of form we had going into it. We scraped past our bogey team Oldham, if memory serves me right scoring at the death immediately after they had scored to go in front, think it might have been an awy goals win. Then we lost to Charlton who presumably had poor form going into it given that were a top flight team as at that time the 3rd bottom team in the top flight went into the play-offs - although who knows they may have been on a strong run prior to the play-offs (i.e. lifted themselves out of an automatic relegation spot).

The play-offs under Blackwell we had no momentum going into it. I suspect the players had got fed up of Blackwell. A poor performance against Preston followed by a second leg win after Preston manager Billy Davies did our team tlak by basically saying it was over after the first leg. We then played Watford in the final and I think we'd done the double over them during the season. They had the momentum though having risen up the league under Blackwell's assistant Aidy Boothroyd. I think we'd been fortunate to beat them in the second league game andit wasn't a suprise that we got battered.

The play-offs in our first season in league 1 saw us go into the play-offs with little momentum. We'd been top of the league at christmas having overcome the 15 point defecit but the wheels had come off and Gary MacAllister had us playing some expansive football but looking weak at the back. We beat Carlisle, I think it was a late goal and hardly convincing and then lost to Doncaster in the final. Again Donacaster had all the momentum and I think they may have even done the oduble over us in the league, I seem to recallt them giving us a spanking towards the end of the season.

The following season and we went into the play-offs with real momentum. SImon Grayson had got us playing well and we were a solid unit. It was the first time I really felt confident going into the play-offs and the loss to Millwall was unexpected.

The season under Bielsa and we went into the play-offs after blowing automatic. Wiped the floor with Derby and the only surprise was that it was only 1-0 after the first leg. The second leg a formality and it started that way. 1-0 up early, 2-0 on aggregate and in complete control and then....

So what to make of things this season and it is fair to say that a few weeks ago I'd have been confident and it seemed like if we did find ourselves in the play-offs it would have been with us getting 100pts plus but Ipswich and Leicester just being too good. I didn't see us freefalling into them. I wouldn't have had any real fear of any of the teams we might meet, certainly not Norwich, WBA , Hull etc. Southampton maybe tricky but would have still felt confident. WBA might have taken 4 points from us but they were no great shakes and over 2 legs would have expected us to be able to score the goals against them that we struggled to during the season.

As it is we go into the play-offs with no form and showing that we are capable of losing to any team. For much of the season the matches we lost were scrappy affairs that could have gone either way. We didn't lose because we were getting battered by a better side, maybe the Southampton loss but there were enough reasons, rather than excuses, to suggest that was a blip. The Coventry defeat was a slight reality check, we played poorly for much of the game and only really came into it with 30 minutes to go, looking more like Coventry went into defensive mode more than us turning things around. The QPR match though was a huge shock, we were simply inept from the first few seconds. I was worried that QPR had got into our penalty box within a few seconds of kick off and we simply never got into the game. For all our players to put in such woeful displays was very worrying. The hope is that we have got that performance out of the way now rather than in the next couple of weeks because a performance like that at any stage of the play-offs will be curtains for us.

I have confidence we can win the play-offs and if we perform to our best we will (barring a 20 shots and no goals type performance). The concern is can we get back to our best? We have a week before the Saints game and then a week before the play-offs, if there are injury concerns, viruses, illnesses etc then hopefully they will be gone.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Playoffs are basically knockout football.

They can often be decided by special individuals and talent.

If that's the case we have a good chance.

If its decided by in game management and tactical battles we are in trouble.

Anyway we could be promoted by this time next week

:)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:18 pm I'm sure you will Mr Pot.
Are you Mr Kettle in this scenario
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:05 pm Are you Mr Kettle in this scenario
Is it cos I am black?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:56 pm Playoffs are basically knockout football.

They can often be decided by special individuals and talent.

If that's the case we have a good chance.

If its decided by in game management and tactical battles we are in trouble.

Anyway we could be promoted by this time next week

:)
I don't see a problem with us tactically. For basically all of this season we have been chasing Ipswich and Leicester and have been having to try to force the issue in matches. Given that we wouldn't need to force anything in the play-offs our way of playing could be very effective, dominate possession and generally stifle the opposition, wearing them down and creating chances. Even early on in the season when we went to Norwich and won 3-2 after being 2-0 down it was seen as a must win game and that has been the story all season.

Where people suggest that Farke has come unstuck has been with his subs. However we have very rarely dropped points after being in front. Where we have seemingly struggled is in when being being, or sometimes level, with 30 minutes or so to play. In theory if we are drawing in the play-offs we don't need to gamble or certainly not at the risk of losing the match by going 'gung ho.'

The concerns for me are the performances against QPR and Coventry and the fact that we are very reliant on basically 4 people to score. Those 4 are Summerville, Gnonto, Rutter and Bamford. I can't remember the last time that Rutter even hit a decent shot, let alone scored a goal. Bamford is Bamford and could just as easily hit 5 goals in 3 play-off matches as not score any and waste several good chances. Gnonto and Summerville both blow hot and cold and were abysmal v QPR. The 'back up' options at present are Joseph, Piroe and Dan James. Who knows if James will be fit, hopefully he will be. He may not be as good as Gnonto is when Gnonto is playing at his best but James is far more consistent. Piroe seems to be struggling although was unlucky with a couple of shots against QPR, Joseph is the unproven hope.

If Roberts is fit I would be tempted to start him at right back. It gives us more of an attacking threat than Gray and we don't really lose anything defensively, yes Gray will be the better player but for now I would start Roberts. I'd be tempted to bring Kamara back into midfield, I don't know whether it is just coincidence that Gruev has looked poorer alongside Gray but the body of evidence has been good when Gruey and Kamara have played together, Keeping us solid and secure at the back would be the priority in the play-offs and also allow for Gray to be at right back or fresh legs to come on in an attacking sense. The rest of the side picks itself and hopefully Rutter remembers how to score because he has been woefully pathetic for a long time now.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:26 pm I don't see a problem with us tactically. For basically all of this season we have been chasing Ipswich and Leicester and have been having to try to force the issue in matches. Given that we wouldn't need to force anything in the play-offs our way of playing could be very effective, dominate possession and generally stifle the opposition, wearing them down and creating chances. Even early on in the season when we went to Norwich and won 3-2 after being 2-0 down it was seen as a must win game and that has been the story all season.

Where people suggest that Farke has come unstuck has been with his subs. However we have very rarely dropped points after being in front. Where we have seemingly struggled is in when being being, or sometimes level, with 30 minutes or so to play. In theory if we are drawing in the play-offs we don't need to gamble or certainly not at the risk of losing the match by going 'gung ho.'

The concerns for me are the performances against QPR and Coventry and the fact that we are very reliant on basically 4 people to score. Those 4 are Summerville, Gnonto, Rutter and Bamford. I can't remember the last time that Rutter even hit a decent shot, let alone scored a goal. Bamford is Bamford and could just as easily hit 5 goals in 3 play-off matches as not score any and waste several good chances. Gnonto and Summerville both blow hot and cold and were abysmal v QPR. The 'back up' options at present are Joseph, Piroe and Dan James. Who knows if James will be fit, hopefully he will be. He may not be as good as Gnonto is when Gnonto is playing at his best but James is far more consistent. Piroe seems to be struggling although was unlucky with a couple of shots against QPR, Joseph is the unproven hope.

If Roberts is fit I would be tempted to start him at right back. It gives us more of an attacking threat than Gray and we don't really lose anything defensively, yes Gray will be the better player but for now I would start Roberts. I'd be tempted to bring Kamara back into midfield, I don't know whether it is just coincidence that Gruev has looked poorer alongside Gray but the body of evidence has been good when Gruey and Kamara have played together, Keeping us solid and secure at the back would be the priority in the play-offs and also allow for Gray to be at right back or fresh legs to come on in an attacking sense. The rest of the side picks itself and hopefully Rutter remembers how to score because he has been woefully pathetic for a long time now.
Think the changes you suggest are sensible.

All be it I'm not on the Bamford train especially in the pressure of the playoffs, he's not a pressure player.

For me though the tactics are more important than the individual selections though.

The tactical gripes I have are probably for Post season.

Most of all though I'd worry about the semi final 2nd leg.

His setup away from home has troubled me all season, it's reflected in the results and the statistical break down and is basically the difference between us and Leicester.

This sit back approach away from home 1st half hasn't worked, I said it months ago and it simply hasn't worked.

If you break the game down into 10 minute segments up until the 50th minute away from home we have conceded more than we've scored in 3, drawing in 1 and infront in 1.

It just hasn't worked, he isn't a great defensive coach in terms of setting teams up to play that way (sit deep counter etc) and it baffles me why he's done it (he did it last season for Mönchengladbach and they had the worst away record in the league).

So he must know it isn't a strength of his sides and yet he's persisted with it often.

We always look better on the front foot (thinking the first Leicester game where I thought he got it spot on) . That is how we play our best.

But he's more and more relying on this counter stuff and abandoning the press.

Even Sky have been mentioning it recently about how passive we are.

I'd hope in the playoffs no matter who he plays ( and hopefully an irrelevant conversation as we are promoted automatically) that we go for it from the start.

That would be nice.
Signed

King Cjay

Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:11 pm Is it cos I am black?
Are you? I love all my brothers no matter what their ethnic backgrounds Dave.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:26 pm I don't see a problem with us tactically. For basically all of this season we have been chasing Ipswich and Leicester and have been having to try to force the issue in matches. Given that we wouldn't need to force anything in the play-offs our way of playing could be very effective, dominate possession and generally stifle the opposition, wearing them down and creating chances. Even early on in the season when we went to Norwich and won 3-2 after being 2-0 down it was seen as a must win game and that has been the story all season.

I just also want to say that I think we need to cut Archie a lot of slack.

He's never been used in his best position .

He's a box to box midfielder per himself in an interview with The Guardian.

He's not a right back, he's not a holding midfielder, he's an 18 year old kid played out of position all season whose probably played far too much football and has been overexposed.

Farke has asked Archie to perform minor miracles this season in roles he doesn't play.

That's asking a lot of experienced senior players, Archie is only recently 18.

Probably should be bringing Kamara back in to do his best Adam Forshaw impression.

But my preference will always be to play Archie cm and let him have the Klich role.
Signed

King Cjay

Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

Fall apart during the playoffs and It'll be the last we see of Gnonto. What's the point in him staying having been ignored so many times when in acres and acres of space down the right. Jimmy Summerville will also want to run away in search of greener pastures along with Rutter who won't fancy doing all the work on his own.

I'm trying not to be negative, but after believing Leeds had turned the corner with a good performance away to Boro they then turn in a poor display in Shepherd's Bush leaving me puzzled and mystified. Pondering over this spanking at a crucial moment, I cast my mind back to a boxing match on Sky Sports yonks ago. A friend invited me to watch Klitschko v Fury at the pub. My mate knows lots on boxing and said Klitschko has a murderous jab and Fury's going to feel it. Before the fight was over my mate said Klitschko has thrown away his title without really throwing a punch. He laughed and said he even held Fury up after shaking him to his core with that murderous jab.

I'll end this with can Leeds afford the PL wage bill, new signings and contracts? I don't know.
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:07 pm I just also want to say that I think we need to cut Archie a lot of slack.

He's never been used in his best position .

He's a box to box midfielder per himself in an interview with The Guardian.

He's not a right back, he's not a holding midfielder, he's an 18 year old kid played out of position all season whose probably played far too much football and has been overexposed.

Farke has asked Archie to perform minor miracles this season in roles he doesn't play.

That's asking a lot of experienced senior players, Archie is only recently 18.

Probably should be bringing Kamara back in to do his best Adam Forshaw impression.

But my preference will always be to play Archie cm and let him have the Klich role.
I wasn't having a go at Archie in the slightest. He's done well especially considering he has been out of position. For me though if we were picking a right back for these one-off type games I'd go with Roberts for the experience and also I think he offers more threat going forward. Similalrly not playing Gray in midfield is not a slight on him I just wonder if our system needs Kamara and Gruev given the license to attack the front four have, especially combined with marauding full backs. In time you'd feel and hope we could build a system/formation around Gray.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:24 pm Smuggling budgies
Who squawked!
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:41 am 1. It extends the season for us by up to 3 games. Weekends/weeks without football are not the same, MOT will not have to go into hibernation till the 24/25 season kicks off in July (lets face it with the Euro's this year there will not be much in player sales and buys until that's over)

2. Should be a great sense of anticipation here should we make the final.

3. A trophy for the cabinet is on the line, think we all realize a second Championship trophy is unlikely now and you get f**k all for second

4. We need to break the cup/playoff curse. This could be the way
Looks like your getting your wish
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

There should be no play-offs, at all. Any team that finishes outside the top 2 ( or 3 if you want it that way ) in the league should not be able to have another chance at getting promoted, and win a trophy as well. Every team has a set amount of games to play and if the fail for whatever reason to get into those automayic places then thats tough. The reasons they dont get there may be many but thats life, we cant always have our cake and eat it.
There is always talk of too many games and yet we have these play-offs which add even more games, its crazy. We might as well just add to the stupidity of it all and go ahead and have a play-offs between the bottom 4 teams in the Premiership and give one of them the chance to stay up.
2 or 3 go up automatically and 2 or 3 come down, simples
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

GreennWhite wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:25 am There should be no play-offs, at all. Any team that finishes outside the top 2 ( or 3 if you want it that way ) in the league should not be able to have another chance at getting promoted, and win a trophy as well. Every team has a set amount of games to play and if the fail for whatever reason to get into those automayic places then thats tough. The reasons they dont get there may be many but thats life, we cant always have our cake and eat it.
There is always talk of too many games and yet we have these play-offs which add even more games, its crazy. We might as well just add to the stupidity of it all and go ahead and have a play-offs between the bottom 4 teams in the Premiership and give one of them the chance to stay up.
2 or 3 go up automatically and 2 or 3 come down, simples
Same for the Champions League or should I say 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th place league or should I say ‘ The League That If Any Team Doesn’t Have Enough Money Or Be Owned By Multi Billionaire Foreign State And Should Be Lucky Enough To Win Their Domestic League We’ll Make Sure They Haven’t A Hope In Hell Of Winning It ‘ league ? Doesn’t really roll off the tongue though.
Keeping The Faith
Supersaint3
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Supersaint3 »

https://www.football365.com/news/leeds- ... -nicholson

I vacillate between holding the views about the monetisation and gerbil-wheel nature of modern football trying to keep up with the petro states et al as expressed in this article, and thinking we belong up at the top... Our last weeks since the international break notwithstanding, I've enjoyed this season so much more than last...

I've found myself asking would I be as interested in watching if we were being beaten 3 or 4 nil in the prem next year as another season in the champo ... I do appreciate we will lose the squad if we stay down ..

Food for thought
Leeds and St. Patricks Athletic FC!
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Getting through the semi final will be the hardest part. If we get to Wembley with that big pitch, the likes of Summerville and Gnonto will have a field day.
If we get there, I fully expect us to win whoever we play.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden