The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 11th April) End of a dynasty as Dallas hangs up his boots

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 11th April) End of a dynasty as Dallas hangs up his boots

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 11th April, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

End of a dynasty as Dallas hangs up his boots

Stuart Dallas has announced his retirement for professional football at the age of 32. He has not played a single minute of football since fracturing his femur during the 4-0 loss to Manchester City two years ago. He came off worse when valiantly trying to nobble Jack Grealish, and was immediately carried off to a waiting ambulance.

Seven operations later, and subsequent knee damage, the loveable utility man has been forced to hang up his boots. He was an instrumental part of Bielsa's set-up, and a respected member of the Leeds Utd dressing room, and will be sorely missed by the Elland Road faithful.

Whether we see him make a cameo role against Southampton on the last game of the season seems unlikely, however much we would like to see him reach his 250th Leeds appearance!

All along I never lost hope (of making a comeback) but more and more over the last few months, I’ve realised it was going to be really difficult. My body just won’t get back to doing what I need to do at an elite level. I’ve got to deal with that and accept it. Mentally, I’m totally fine. I’m at peace with it. I’m gutted but there are people in far worse positions than me. I’m fortunate to have had the career I’ve had.

I knew (how serious the damage was) from the first minute I did the injury. I was concerned then, of course I was. Everybody was. To be here now (to the extent that Dallas has recovered) — we’ve won, and that describes how serious the injury was. I got back on the pitch, I was moving around and doing well but I just needed more. I’ve had setbacks and two infections in there. I’ve been to surgery so many times, I think seven times. I’ve been to theatre about 10 times. That itself tells its own story.

I said to the physios that the reward was to get back on the pitch for them. The reward changed to being fit and healthy after football. I’m not fit to get to the level I need to be at. I can’t physically get to it. I don’t believe that if I was younger that I’d come back with this. The injury’s been so serious. I played (the tackle on Grealish) over and over in my head but that only eats you up. Don’t get me wrong, there are days when you do think about it but you have to master your own mind.

By no means am I a psychologist and I didn’t feel the need to speak to a psychologist through the whole process. I’ve been strong enough in my own mind not to let myself slip into that. I get that the whole mental side of things is rife in the game, I understand that and I get that other people aren’t fortunate enough to be able to do this. I just felt I couldn’t let myself fall into that hole. I’ve got a wife and three kids who mean more to me than anything. I couldn’t be dragged into that.

Tractor boys return to second after goalless draw

Ipswich Town were held to a goalless draw against Watford at Portman Road last night! The Tractor boys enjoyed the lions share of the opportunities, but could not break down a stubborn hornets defence, intent on defending their goalmouth in numbers. Ipswich are the division's leading goalscorers, having found the back of the net 84 times this season so far. It is only the sixth time this season they have failed to win at home, such has been their dominance at home.

It's good news for Leeds fans, who, after their goalless draw against Sunderland were expecting their promotion rivals to go three points clear of the Whites. Kieran McKenna's side may be a point ahead of Leeds, but with four games remaining, it's still all to play for!

Leeds announce overall losses of £33.7m

Leeds have posted overall losses of £33.7m from their 2022-23 financial year, despite a record turnover of £189.6m, and £73m in transfer fees. Astonishingly, Leeds spent almost £10m on sacking Managers, but blame soaring administrative costs and increased payers wage bills for their glutinous spending, but remain within the FFP loss perimeters laid out by both the Premier League and the Championship.

The annual wage bill at Elland Road jumped from £121 million to £145 million, with their operating loss rising by £71 million from 2021-22. Gate receipts for the 2022-23 year jumped £5 million to £29 million but TV and broadcasting income fell slightly to £17.4 million while merchandise income and central distributions also saw small drops.

Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 11th April) End of a dynasty as Dallas hangs up his boots

Post by Sean_Nile »

"For the merchant, even honesty is a financial speculation."
~ Charles Baudelaire
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 11th April) End of a dynasty as Dallas hangs up his boots

Post by The Subhuman »

So long and thanks for all the fish, Stu
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

A strange set of midweek results as far as the top 3 are concerned. Who would have predicted all 3 would have drawn a blank?
None of the top 3 are playing well it has to be said. Ipswich had two glorious chances in the first half but looked completely devoid of ideas in the second.
Leicester have now lost 3 of their last 6 and although they should beat a really poor Plymouth side on Friday they then play Southampton, West Brom and Preston, three very tough games.
So despite us being well below par recently it is all to play for. Four wins might just be enough.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I won't see the game live on Saturday as will be out but recording it so looking forward to seeing the reception Stuey gets at half time (and a win hopefully) when I get home.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Stu gets beeped
Last edited by Sean_Nile on Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Looking forward to giving Dallas a good send off.
4 wins and see, if we drop more silly points it's our own fault.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

honest and hard working
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds have agreed to pay the entire £24.5m owed to Jean-Kevin Augustin in lost wages

What a costly Bielsa mistake!!!
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

:verysad: :verysad: :verysad: :verysad: :verysad: :verysad: :verysad: :verysad: :verysad:

That's for Stuey and for the lost £24.5 million :roflmao:
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

So then financially not stable what with money owed to JKA etc.. so guaranteed if we fail in promotion big sale at Elland road 5 or 6 will be sold to balance the books and very little left for new players. If we fail promotion looking like another decade or so in the championship. So they better not bottle it
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

whiteinfrance wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:43 am :verysad: :verysad: :verysad: :verysad: :verysad: :verysad: :verysad: :verysad: :verysad:

That's for Stuey and for the lost £24.5 million :roflmao:
Think what you could do with £24.5m
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:15 am

Don't talk pish, Marcelo kept that lump o' lard in the 23's for most of his time at Leeds cos he could see he was over weight and unfit, remember that fat arse, and he couldn't handle the training and bolloxed himself so he couldn't even play. Get a grip.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:15 am Leeds have agreed to pay the entire £24.5m owed to Jean-Kevin Augustin in lost wages

The price of everything and the value of nothing.....

Sad to see Stus playing career over so young. I hope he gets his coaching badges (Bielsa has inspired over 300 ex players to do so) and makes a living in the game.

Ipswich played well and drew. Its still in their gift to auto promote, but they are under the same pressure as us.
I think Leicester will take top slot and a resurgent SH will push us all the way.

Losses for that season. As long as we stay within the parameters of fair play I care little. Though cost of living is making it tighter for many clubs, especially to generate via merch and hospitality.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:49 am Think what you could do with £24.5m
Lots of beer - DOH! :roflmao:
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Does he just get a lump sum minus tax?
The stupidity of football or maybe professional sport more widely. A multi millionaire based on an error of judgement.
Ipswich won’t fade. As predicted.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Scoobychief wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:49 am So then financially not stable what with money owed to JKA etc.. so guaranteed if we fail in promotion big sale at Elland road 5 or 6 will be sold to balance the books and very little left for new players. If we fail promotion looking like another decade or so in the championship. So they better not bottle it
I don't get how Leeds are responsible for his wages after joining other teams, and earning from them?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

whiteinfrance wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:19 am Lots of beer - DOH! :roflmao:
Your own brewery!!!
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Nope, didn’t understand a word of what Stuey said. Any interpreters out there can help?

Seriously, Im kidding, I love the NI accent, it’s my favourite UK dialect, I get over on the ferry as often as I can, Belfast being my closest city, (as the crow flies). great craic to be had over there. 👍

Thank you Stuart. That afternoon we stuffed Citeh, one of my favourite moments of all time.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

It was obvious Stu wouldn't play for Leeds again after such a long time injured. Best wishes and I hope he returns as a coach some day.

One could see that the JKA signing was a blunder. Probably a political signing more than a need for his footballing skills. What a blunderous signing he was brought on by pressure to balance diversity within the first team. It's those in the stands that will fork out the cost of a lavish lifestyle and for what?

Strange that the top 3 all return a goalless draw, very strange indeed. Are the top 3 playing to the same script, allowing Southampton to creep into a foursome and then a final weekend of extraordinary events?

I'm becoming suspicious. 😁
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.