Plymouth Argyle v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Plymouth Argyle v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by SG90 »

Jimmy and Georgi are young lads, so should have loads left in the tank. It's Rodon I worry for the most, another 120 mins, he must be running on empty.
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

I've just been catching up on this thread and it is such a twisted read from when they scored onwards.

At 1-1 we were still unbeaten in 2024 but it doesn't take much for the Negative Naysayers to spring into action.

There is so much to like about this young team and the way DF is managing this project, I'm just enjoying the ride.

Also endorse the praise to Plymouth (and our boys) for the lack of the dark arts. No minutes added to the first 45 and played in a really good spirit throughout - refreshing to see.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:20 pm Yes Malcolm he proper fatted that one. But it was a good chunk & run.

Yeah Archie has it in spades. Not even 18.
Man of the match for Gruev from Sky. Just as he took the corner with the OG. The Sky bloke was raving about him. So it’s Gruev as in Cruyff for the pronunciation
Sky? or BBC Jay. The game was live on the beeb.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:45 pm The worry is if injuries bite, and in this division with so many late/heavy tackles on our players getting little protection from the refs that's a real possibitly,, we have the quality to replace them but not to leave quality and numbers on the bench.... Lose say Paddy/Cry/Gnonto/James at once and we replace with Anthony/Joffy/Piroe etc and there's not really much to come off the bench to change games ..

That Ayling/Hjelde/Gyabi/Poveda (all good enough at this level) cushion is gone and it's a big drop off to the 18's. Can't call them 21's atm.
So you're saying a team should essentially go three deep at every position so they can have a decent second bench when they have to call on their first bench.

I get your point, as injuries are inevitable, but who can carry twenty or twenty-five quality players, especially at the Championship level? Citeh and Liverpool might have enough games on their schedules - and money in their accounts - to ensure that they can not only go three deep, but have quality that far down their rosters, but that's an impossibility for Leeds, even with promotion. We simply don't play enough games to keep that many players in minutes.

The squad we have - two deep at every position - is the best any Championship side can hope for. In fact, we're deeper than pretty much every other team in the league.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Thought the ref was brilliant.....Rob Jones. Always liked him from our Prem days.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:01 pm CJay was comparing Piroe to Viduka in this case, I've been saying willy is a ten for a while, also good on the left and I think he'd be good as the 9. He can play right but it's his weakest position across the front 4.
Oh. Did I get the wrong end of the stick again? Story of my life lately. :-D
I still think Willie will be better in a more central role. He's low to the ground, powerful and quick.
Long term, he's not a winger imho.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:06 pm Farke daren't leave Rodon out. :lol:

Ampadu gets a rest at long last.
Rodon got 2 games rest after the red card

I think the 2 DC's and the 2 MC's do less running around than everyone else. Less than the full backs, wingers, and forwards. So they probably don't need a rest as much.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

John in Louisiana wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:42 am So you're saying a team should essentially go three deep at every position so they can have a decent second bench when they have to call on their first bench.

I get your point, as injuries are inevitable, but who can carry twenty or twenty-five quality players, especially at the Championship level? Citeh and Liverpool might have enough games on their schedules - and money in their accounts - to ensure that they can not only go three deep, but have quality that far down their rosters, but that's an impossibility for Leeds, even with promotion. We simply don't play enough games to keep that many players in minutes.

The squad we have - two deep at every position - is the best any Championship side can hope for. In fact, we're deeper than pretty much every other team in the league.
I'm with you John. Having quality players sitting on the bench isn't a healthy situation for most teams.
You can't play scared all the time.
We have a cracking squad right now, with lots of versatility.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

John in Louisiana wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:08 pm And still no Cresswell
I made the point earlier that it's unfair not to play Cresswell (and Gelhardt) when you've told them you're not going to let them go out on loan. At least Joffy got some good game time tonight (with extra time). Maybe Cresswell is not fully fit. But if you're not going to play him in the FA cup, when are you going to play him?
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

That was a good performance given the changes. Plymouth are not a bad team. I just looked back at their last 13 games. They've only lost twice. To Southampton and Leicester. So they're better than 15th place. Despite the 1-1 in regular time, we totally dominated them in chances and possession. We hit the woodwork 3 (maybe 4) times. And their goalie made a couple of class saves.

It's 4 days till Rotherham. So even though we used a few subs, it was a shorter than usual run out for them. Firpo, Gruev, and Rodon. played all 120 minutes which would be the only concern about going to extra time. It was a good run out for quite a few others.

Joseph impressed me. I thought he needed another year or so. But he really looked the part tonight. I thought Gelhardt did well too, especially playing out of position. Piroe was decent in that midfield role. And Gnonto is finally coming good again.

So, pleased overall. Wonder what we'll do in the 5th round? My guess is he'll play his best 11 now it's a premier league side.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

1964white wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:31 pm Chelsea please.
I say Chelsea too. They'll probably beat us. But they're also capable of losing to anyone right now.

I couldn't stand losing against Villa. Not given our recent history with them.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:45 pm The worry is if injuries bite, and in this division with so many late/heavy tackles on our players getting little protection from the refs that's a real possibitly,, we have the quality to replace them but not to leave quality and numbers on the bench.... Lose say Paddy/Cry/Gnonto/James at once and we replace with Anthony/Joffy/Piroe etc and there's not really much to come off the bench to change games ..

That Ayling/Hjelde/Gyabi/Poveda (all good enough at this level) cushion is gone and it's a big drop off to the 18's. Can't call them 21's atm.
That's my one concern. We should have a couple of players in the 21's that are good enough to cover if needed. We've sold or loaned out anyone that is good enough. Perkins is - but there's obviously a personal issue with him. Would be nice if he straightened his head out. But, basically nobody in the 21's at the moment who can be considered emergency back up.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:21 pm Glad Gruev is living up the the early season promise, tough to drop now. Joseph is gona be some player to
I was impressed with Joseph today. Didn't think he was ready for it. Proved me wrong.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Jaydog wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:20 pm Yes Malcolm he proper fatted that one. But it was a good chunk & run.

Yeah Archie has it in spades. Not even 18.
Man of the match for Gruev from Sky. Just as he took the corner with the OG. The Sky bloke was raving about him. So it’s Gruev as in Cruyff for the pronunciation
Bryn Law on LUTV has been saying Groyf for a few weeks. I don't like it. But Brym knows his stuff.
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Anyone thinking getting knocked out of the FA cup last night would be a good thing should compare how the players would be feeling travelling back from Plymouth after playing 120 minutes in horrendous conditions, playing well and still getting beat , failing to put another totally dominant display to bed. Compare that to travelling back having won, played well after a totally dominant display, scored 4 goals and the prospect of a game against Premiership opposition.
Winning last night will instil a sense of invincibility in the team and that is invaluable at this stage of the season. Last night showed us we have decent cover if needed in most areas of the pitch, Joffy looked sharp, Joseph stepped up, Gnonto is grabbing his chance with both hands, Byram looked great again and Cooper looked untroubled for most of the game. Bring on Chelsea/Villa I say.
Keeping The Faith
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:46 am Thought the ref was brilliant.....Rob Jones. Always liked him from our Prem days.
The best referee I've seen this season, by a country mile!
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:55 am Anyone thinking getting knocked out of the FA cup last night would be a good thing should compare how the players would be feeling travelling back from Plymouth after playing 120 minutes in horrendous conditions, playing well and still getting beat , failing to put another totally dominant display to bed. Compare that to travelling back having won, played well after a totally dominant display, scored 4 goals and the prospect of a game against Premiership opposition.
Winning last night will instil a sense of invincibility in the team and that is invaluable at this stage of the season. Last night showed us we have decent cover if needed in most areas of the pitch, Joffy looked sharp, Joseph stepped up, Gnonto is grabbing his chance with both hands, Byram looked great again and Cooper looked untroubled for most of the game. Bring on Chelsea/Villa I say.
Good point dat :tup:

That journey will be a lot shorter today, playing cards on the coach and having a day off.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Dream scenario :

Do Chelsea next round
Draw winner of Coventry/Maidstone at home in Q/F - Win
Draw Scum S/F Wembley - Win
Final - Anyone after top 2 is guaranteed.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

SG90 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:36 pm So Rodon plays 120 in a game he should've been rested
You must be talking and training with this lad everyday yes ?

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

danhirons wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:38 pm pure madness from farke, just give the game up, let the fringe players get some minutes

we've got a horrendous february fixture wise
No we haven't.

And the majority of Championship sides have 5 fixtures in Feb, and worse than ours.

;@)