Flat track bullies - Southampton

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Flat track bullies - Southampton

Post by weasel »

Based on the current league position after 29/30 matches played

Southampton's record against sides in the top half of the table:
Played 12 Won 3 Drawn 5 Lost 4 Points 14 (Points per game 1.167)

And Southampton's record against sides in the bottom half of the table:
Played 17 Won 15 Drawn 2 Lost 0 Points 47 (Points per game 2.765)

Our record v top half: Played 15 Won 8 Drawn 3 Lost 4 (PPG 1.8)
Our record v bottom half: Played 15 Won 10 Drawn 3 Lost 2 (PPG 2.2)

If these records were to continue we would finish on 92.4 pts and Southampton would finish on 92.025

However:

Ipswich v Top half: PL15 W8 D3 L4 Pts27 (PPG 1.8)
Ipswich v Bottom Half: PL14 W9 D5 L0 Pts32 (PPG 2.286)

Ipswich would finish on 94.457 points and seal the 2nd spot.
Last edited by weasel on Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Flat track bullies (Just for Cjay)

Post by weasel »

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Thoughts Cjay?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:13 am Thoughts Cjay?
None whatsoever
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Weasel, great analysis!

Hopefully we’ve figured out the low and mid block issues that we have faced against lower sides and so hopefully that record improves. I think Ipswich are going to struggle to retain the same form.

And I badly want to return the favor to Southampton at Elland Road…having to wait until the last game of the season is for me like having to wait until Christmas morning to open presents.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

JoeDenver wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:42 am Weasel, great analysis!

Hopefully we’ve figured out the low and mid block issues that we have faced against lower sides and so hopefully that record improves. I think Ipswich are going to struggle to retain the same form.

And I badly want to return the favor to Southampton at Elland Road…having to wait until the last game of the season is for me like having to wait until Christmas morning to open presents.
It is very interesting to see the huge difference in Southampton's results when split in comparison to ours and Ipswich's which are nearly identical. Of course with the championship team placings can quickly change but it does put Southampton's run into a bit more perspective. If we can improve against the bottom half sides and Southampton don't improve against the top half it could certainly sway things our way.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Re: Flat track bullies - Southampton

Post by danhirons »

difficult to read much into that

saints lost four on the bounce at the start of the season which accounts for a lot of their poor results against the top half, since then they've not lost a game!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

danhirons wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:26 am difficult to read much into that

saints lost four on the bounce at the start of the season which accounts for a lot of their poor results against the top half, since then they've not lost a game!
And we had all the pre and early season issues that account for our poor results against the bottom teams
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:04 am Image
Interesting graph, Weasel.

So, the Saints haven't lost one game to a club who are 13th to 24th in the championship.

Ipswich better them, not losing to any team 11th or below.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Southampton conceded 20 goals in their first 9 matches

Leeds conceded 10 in our first 9 games

Since those opening 9 matches

Saints conceded 12 in 20 games.

Leeds conceded 16 in 21 games.

Excellent defensive record for both clubs
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

The vital difference comes in the Away games still to play.

Saints still to play 4 from top 5 (4 toughest games of the season probs)- We 've played all top 6 away.
We play 3 of bottom 4 AWAY- Saints have played all bottom 5.

Our advantage is Massive.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:41 am And we had all the pre and early season issues that account for our poor results against the bottom teams
very true! had forgotten about that, if only we'd got things sorted a little quicker...!
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

danhirons wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:56 pm very true! had forgotten about that, if only we'd got things sorted a little quicker...!
We couldn’t because the EFL dragged their heels with DF’s and 49ers paperwork / due diligence - also we hadn’t a clue who was going to jump ship either.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Interesting to see that once again this weekend Ipswich have a tough game (WBA at home) whereas Southampton have another, on paper, easy home game against a bottom half team in Huddersfield. Certainly seems a bizarre quirk that Southampton have had a lengthy run of fixtures v bottom half team whereas Ipswich seem to be getting tough game after tough game.

Southampton's last 20 matches since playing Leeds

14 matches against bottom half teams of which they have won 12 and drawn 2.
6 matches against the top half teams of which they have won 2 and drawn 4.

Ipswich's last 11 match has seen them play top half teams 9 times.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/60201 ... /#comments

You've made it onto the Southampton forum
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:20 pm https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/60201 ... /#comments

You've made it onto the Southampton forum
Seems they have more thoughts on this than you :P
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:59 pm Seems they have more thoughts on this than you :P
Alright since it's such a well made post and clearly took a lot of effort I will give a thought :)

On the face of it then yes you can say maybe Southampton are bullies who have struggled when unable to simply beat teams they should.

And it may be something that costs them in the end.

But up until we played Southampton we weren't brilliant either which is now dismissed as a bedding in period and the summer is used as an excuse.

We were better than Southampton but it wasn't perfect of course.

Well Middlesbrough, Leicester, Ipswich, Norwich and Sunderland all fall into that early season period for Southampton as well.

So if we can use the summer as a yeah but excuse then so can they?

Since then I think it's 13 points from 6 games vs current top half teams which is 2.1ppg

We I think are exactly 2ppg, 10 games 20 points
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:30 pm Alright since it's such a well made post and clearly took a lot of effort I will give a thought :)

On the face of it then yes you can say maybe Southampton are bullies who have struggled when unable to simply beat teams they should.

But up until we played Southampton we weren't brilliant either which is now dismissed as a bedding in period and the summer is used as an excuse.

Well Middlesbrough, Leicester, Ipswich, Norwich and Sunderland all fall into that early season period for Southampton as well.

Since then I think it's 13 points from 6 games vs current top half teams which is 2.1ppg

Plus they've added two gamechangers in the Jan window .. so flat track bullies could become just Championship bullies.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:30 pm Alright since it's such a well made post and clearly took a lot of effort I will give a thought :)

I think both sides have a reasonable excuse for a poor start.

I just find it interesting that in Southamptons last 21 matches they have only played 6 matches against top half sides (won 2 drawn 4 for 10 points). Which does suggest that even in their good run they aren't as good v top half sides 1.67 points against top half sides during that time. Of course with them only playing 6 matches during that time it is a small sample size and I made the comparison that Ipswich have faced 9 top half sides in their last 11 matches which has coincided with their poor run.

Of course as my learned colleague points out stats can be rendered totally obsolete by the fact Saints have strengthened their squad.
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

weasel wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:21 pm I think both sides have a reasonable excuse for a poor start.

I just find it interesting that in Southamptons last 21 matches they have only played 6 matches against top half sides (won 2 drawn 4 for 10 points). Which does suggest that even in their good run they aren't as good v top half sides 1.67 points against top half sides during that time. Of course with them only playing 6 matches during that time it is a small sample size and I made the comparison that Ipswich have faced 9 top half sides in their last 11 matches which has coincided with their poor run.

Of course as my learned colleague points out stats can be rendered totally obsolete by the fact Saints have strengthened their squad.
And , they haven't played any of the 'top 3'' in those 6.

Strange how the fixtures have turned out.