Leeds United v Plymouth Argyle Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds United v Plymouth Argyle Match Thread

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

weasel wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:16 pm End of the days we should have had the game in the bag first half. Not surprised the performance dipped second half as it is always hard to keep up the intensity when it is so easy. Just one of those days and at least Gnonto, Cooper and Anthony got good run outs. Might not be a bad thing to have a replay as they can get more game time. Ipswich losing to Maidstone is a shocker and regardless of our result our performance was good enough for us to have won comfortably.
It's not the 3 players getting a run out I'm worried about. It's the other 8 he's afraid to rest. And now they'll be playing 3 games in a week. Not ideal.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:21 pm It's obvious we are short in a few areas.

Neither Anthony nor Gnonto want to play right wing.

Nobody else can play 10 but Rutter.

Full back is light.

But we should have been more proactive second half, both players and Farke.
When you get a few injuries/suspensions/illnesses this is when you find out whether your squad is good enough.

I agree that we are light in some areas and I doubt anyone is being recruited to fill the gaps.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

BradWhite wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:19 pm Do we really need to be in this cup when we have no chance of winning it, we risk injuries and more additional games to play.

Personally I'd rather be out of the cup and concentrate on promotion.
Me too. Would rather we make 11 changes and lost at home. Than 8 regulars going through the slog. Off to Plymouth and 3 games in a week.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

BradWhite wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:19 pm Do we really need to be in this cup when we have no chance of winning it, we risk injuries and more additional games to play.

Personally I'd rather be out of the cup and concentrate on promotion.
My thoughts as well Brad, but at least those who wanted a cup run have got one!
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:07 pm My thoughts as well Brad, but at least those who wanted a cup run have got one!
I’m never convinced myself Swannie.
I’ll say it quietly but I openly admit I hate the FA Cup.
It causes nothing but trouble. If we’re not getting beat by Bogchester Rovers then we’re probably losing players to injury or both.
Good for Maidstone today but no you can shove it up someone’s arse for all I care.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:10 pm I’m never convinced myself Swannie.
It causes nothing but trouble. If we’re not getting beat by Bogchester Rovers then we’re probably losing players to injury or both.
Good for Maidstone today but no you can shove it up someone’s arse for all I care.
Yes but our games against Bogchester are always crackers. Their centre forward Roy is a hell of a player.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I used to love the FA Cup Jay. But the rich clubs always win it these days and just don't think it's worth risking injury to players and now an extra evening game at the other end of the Country! Hope the fans who wanted a cup run are not moaning....
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:29 pm I can't imagine this is by design, WR. DF has expressed his thoughts on what we need multiple times and given how they've handled everything else so far, I can't imagine the higher ups are just ignoring his wishes. Seems more likely to me that they know exactly what they want and are being deliberate in going after who that might be. That also doesn't mean they are guaranteed to get what they want. However, I'd rather have this than the headless chicken approach from the previous yahoos.
Fair does mate :tup:

If they get the necessary recruitment done by the end of the window then that's fine. But my worry is that they don't get the extra help in and we end up coming up light on the run in and miss out on promotion.

The recruitment has been generally ver good since Orta and Radz left the building. Agree that the desperation stuff under those two and Kinnear was comical.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:14 pm I used to love the FA Cup Jay. But the rich clubs always win it these days and just don't think it's worth risking injury to players and now an extra evening game at the other end of the Country! Hope the fans who wanted a cup run are not moaning....
Oh definitely. As a kid I absolutely loved it. The whole build up. Was a massive occasion then.
But like you say it’s more or less owned by the big 4 or 6 maybe. I looked back recently and posted a stat on the winners & finalists. You can guess the list.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

malcolmw wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:14 pm Yes but our games against Bogchester are always crackers. Their centre forward Roy is a hell of a player.
True 😁
Did you know pjm had a trial for Bogchester.
He was a contender back then.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:19 pm Oh definitely. As a kid I absolutely loved it. The whole build up. Was a massive occasion then.
But like you say it’s more or less owned by the big 4 or 6 maybe. I looked back recently and posted a stat on the winners & finalists. You can guess the list.
The build up was so special. At the players hotels, supporters it's a knockout, cameras on the coaches...the whole Saturday (with a 3.00 kick off of course) was a very special day.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:59 pm It's not the 3 players getting a run out I'm worried about. It's the other 8 he's afraid to rest. And now they'll be playing 3 games in a week. Not ideal.
Rodon & Ampadu still having to play every minute of every game & they'll have to plod on for the whole season if we refuse to bolster our squad. Farke realises that if he rests our two warriors, we are vulnerable to dropping points.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:23 pm The build up was so special. At the players hotels, supporters it's a knockout, cameras on the coaches...the whole Saturday (with a 3.00 kick off of course) was a very special day.
That’s it. So long ago now but I sort of remember it going on nearly all day. They can big it up all they want but the magic it had then does not exist now.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Let's face it, we're not going to win the damn thing & it's not as if we need the financial input, such as the minnows.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:23 pm The build up was so special. At the players hotels, supporters it's a knockout, cameras on the coaches...the whole Saturday (with a 3.00 kick off of course) was a very special day.
Those were days Swannie, when the FA Cup was a proper tournament, now it's meaningless for the majority of clubs.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:27 pm Rodon & Ampadu still having to play every minute of every game & they'll have to plod on for the whole season if we refuse to bolster our squad. Farke realises that if he rests our two warriors, we are vulnerable to dropping points.
That was by choice, presumably they wanted to play. Farke could have rested them if he wanted, Rodon for Cresswell wouldn't have exactly had the fans rioted.

As it was Bamford, Firpo, Kamara and Summerville were rested, Gray and Summerville were able to rest up. So there were only 5 players that started the last match that started and it is hardly like Messlier will be knackered. If Farke had wanted to he could have rested at least a couple of Rodon, Ampadu, Gruev or Rutter.

As it is Farke can decide exactly what he wants to do in the replay and if the likes of Gnonto, Anthony, Cooper and Cresswell get some competitive minutes under them then it could actually be beneficial if they are needed down the stretch.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

There was something special about the FA Cup in the 70s, even early 80s. You're right it was the build up.
Like so many great sports events, it's now almost just another game.

Let's be dead honest, what were saying about the Cup applies to the PL too. Each season there are only 3 or 4 teams who can win it - purely related to which oligarchs and morally corrput countries have bought teams and given them limitless budgets.

Saudi money is destroying football, golf, motor racing and whatever else they turn their blood money to. I suppose us fans have got to make the game what we want it to be

If we land up in the final against one of the big 4, I wonder how many of those snubbing their noses up right now will be in line for tickets at Wembly?

I'm not against a "Cup run". I do agree it's an annoyance when you're competing for promotion, but I try to see the bigger picture here. I am just happy to see my team competing and playing decent football.

Hell of a goal from Anthony today!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:59 pm It's not the 3 players getting a run out I'm worried about. It's the other 8 he's afraid to rest. And now they'll be playing 3 games in a week. Not ideal.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:41 pm That was by choice, presumably they wanted to play. Farke could have rested them if he wanted, Rodon for Cresswell wouldn't have exactly had the fans rioted.

As it was Bamford, Firpo, Kamara and Summerville were rested, Gray and Summerville were able to rest up. So there were only 5 players that started the last match that started and it is hardly like Messlier will be knackered. If Farke had wanted to he could have rested at least a couple of Rodon, Ampadu, Gruev or Rutter.

As it is Farke can decide exactly what he wants to do in the replay and if the likes of Gnonto, Anthony, Cooper and Cresswell get some competitive minutes under them then it could actually be beneficial if they are needed down the stretch.
Given the choice, every young professional athlete wants to be involved every time. Something has to give. The same thing happened to Klich under Bielsa. It was clear he was burning out, but it wasn't until his engine blew, that he was finally rested, by which time it was too late.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Ellandback1 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:54 pm Given the choice, every young professional athlete wants to be involved every time. Something has to give. The same thing happened to Klich under Bielsa. It was clear he was burning out, but it wasn't until his engine blew, that he was finally rested, by which time it was too late.
But surely rushing out to buy a couple of players just to boost the bench, who may not fit the system isn't the solution either?

I'm sure Farke and the team would have brought in a player or players who they feel do fit the system if they were available. Some on here are making out they're not trying to recruit. Where are the facts supporting that?

Farke said it would likely be a quiet window - mainly because those we'd like to bring in are not currently available.

His training regime seems not (quite) as physically demanding as Marcelo's. That what "blew a lot of gaskets" in that squad.

Large squads can be as problematic as small squads, especially if they're disjointed.

Bringing in another Poveda or Shackleton is not going to add any value whatsoever for the remainder of this season.