Leeds Utd v Preston Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Preston Match Thread - My detailed report on PNE spoiling tactics.

Post by weasel »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:30 pm That was my read. There was some discussion with Farke passing a message through Rodon. But I think the discussion was Piroe or Summerville.
Wonder who would have taken the penalty if Piroe hadn't have been on the pitch. Summerville missed his last one Bamford's missed 3 in a row (maybe 4) and Struyjk wasn't on the pitch. I wonder if it would have been Gruev.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Preston North End Match Thread

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

weasel wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:42 am Wonder who would have taken the penalty if Piroe hadn't have been on the pitch. Summerville missed his last one Bamford's missed 3 in a row (maybe 4) and Struyjk wasn't on the pitch. I wonder if it would have been Gruev.
Or possible Firpo, if he had still been on as well--he's been taking, and lining up for, free kicks. But with Firpo off too, my money would be on Gruev as well.
In Farke we trust...
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Finnatic wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:26 pm 😁

I’d stopped watching wrestling by the late 70’s Ash, so couldn’t comment on the 80’s but I’ll take your word for it.
Different decade but the same shenanigans--much like PNE :x :lol:
In Farke we trust...
lufcconnor

Post by lufcconnor »

Think we played quite well, the penalty was a great moment for me. Love when we get it done at the last minute.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:40 pm I'm a Bills fan but wouldn't put money on them. They're better than KC right now. But they have a lot of injuries. So I'm not confident today. Bet Chiefs if they're the underdog with the bookies.
Feckin pundits on Sky, I should've listened to you, and myself really, if it's a close call i usually take the team that's got the handicap in their favour and Kansas were +2.5

I've just woke up to this result (fell asleep at h/t)

I think i went and placed the bet prior to reading your post, where the pundit on Sky said "although they've got injuries, i still expect the Bills to win a very close game"

Good call Andrew, i shudda listened :tup:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:42 am Wonder who would have taken the penalty if Piroe hadn't have been on the pitch. Summerville missed his last one Bamford's missed 3 in a row (maybe 4) and Struyjk wasn't on the pitch. I wonder if it would have been Gruev.
I was wondering that also, possibly Ampadu, more likely Jimmy just goes and gets a hold of the ball and takes it upon himself to decide.

I'll never understand why a manager that's on the touchline doesn't scream out his orders who's gonna take it then it's on his head :duno:

If i was manager and PB went and got hold of the ball like he did before handing it to Piroe, i'd have been screaming my nut off for him to put it down and clearly making it known who i wanted to take it.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Game spoiling tactics - the bad ones of their 18 fouls

4m Cornell - time-wasting once Preston took an early lead

5m Keane - fouls Kamara

8m Whiteman takes Summerville out :booked:

18m Hughes fouls James

29m Hughes cynically stops James again

34m McCann & PNE targeting James with another foul :booked:

62m Lindsay cynically takes out Kamara :booked:

65m Froksjaer fouls Firpo

75m Riis fouls Rodon with a two-handed push in the back of him, PNE given a corner

76m Firpo booked for a fair challenge on Potts

79m Kruev pushed by ??? not given

81m Potts takes Summerville out

83m Cornell is booked at long last after using every trick in the goalkeepers manual to waste time throughout the whole of the game :booked:

84m Leeson cynically takes out Gruev earning himself only a yellow card :booked:

86m Stewart only on ten minutes now targeting Summerville with a poor challenge :booked:

87m Leeson already on yellow gets away with pulling over Rutter in the box

89m Stewart now in his element fouls Gruev

How Preston avoided at least two red cards is bewildering :roll: :shock:

I did say to my pals around me after the first 15 minutes of the game that Cornell would be booked in the 80th minutes, I was three minutes out with estimation.
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

Finnatic wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:53 pm Regarding the scything down of our players - as soon as they pick up the yellows, replace them with up to five subs and repeat.
Indeed, vicious tactics making the late, late penalty that much sweeter.
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

1964white wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:39 am Game spoiling tactics - the bad ones of their 18 fouls

4m Cornell - time-wasting once Preston took an early lead

5m Keane - fouls Kamara

8m Whiteman takes Summerville out :booked:

18m Hughes fouls James

29m Hughes cynically stops James again

34m McCann & PNE targeting James with another foul :booked:

62m Lindsay cynically takes out Kamara :booked:

65m Froksjaer fouls Firpo

75m Riis fouls Rodon with a two-handed push in the back of him, PNE given a corner

76m Firpo booked for a fair challenge on Potts

79m Kruev pushed by ??? not given

81m Potts takes Summerville out

83m Cornell is booked at long last after using every trick in the goalkeepers manual to waste time throughout the whole of the game :booked:

84m Leeson cynically takes out Gruev earning himself only a yellow card :booked:

86m Stewart only on ten minutes now targeting Summerville with a poor challenge :booked:

87m Leeson already on yellow gets away with pulling over Rutter in the box

89m Stewart now in his element fouls Gruev

How Preston avoided at least two red cards is bewildering :roll: :shock:

I did say to my pals around me after the first 15 minutes of the game that Cornell would be booked in the 80th minutes, I was three minutes out with estimation.
They played the physical game to the limit. I didn’t see a red card offence personally. It was a difficult match to referee as there was so much niggle and dark arts at play. The leeson foul on Rutter late in the game was nothing. Rutter tried to make the most of very little contact. The overwhelming officiating positive is that the crucial decision, which gave us the penalty is the one the ref got right.

Fortunately he was in the right position - on any other day with the ref’s view slightly obscured in what was a packed 18 yard box another official may have bottled it.
mentalcase

Re: Leeds Utd v Preston Match Thread - My detailed report on PNE's spoiling tactics

Post by mentalcase »

No straight reds but certainly second bookable offences, which would have meant a red.
The lad that slammed James and him that shoved Archie into the hoardings were 2 examples.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Preston Match Thread - My detailed report on PNE's spoiling tactics

Post by 1964white »

Unfortunately, we have no game-changers on the bench.

We go into the second-half of the season, where only Piroe has come on & score a goal to win a game.

Also, we don't have no one who can score from a free-kick.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:04 am They played the physical game to the limit. I didn’t see a red card offence personally. It was a difficult match to referee as there was so much niggle and dark arts at play. The leeson foul on Rutter late in the game was nothing. Rutter tried to make the most of very little contact. The overwhelming officiating positive is that the crucial decision, which gave us the penalty is the one the ref got right.

Fortunately he was in the right position - on any other day with the ref’s view slightly obscured in what was a packed 18 yard box another official may have bottled it.
Their players were still committing fouls after receiving a yellow card.

A couple of the challenges were cynical, cowardly tackles from the back.

Mental call it right in his post.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:34 pm Wow i stuck £19 on Detroit -7.5...Got £43 now and not sure who to put it on
Well done Kenny 👍

The Lions will now have to go to play the 49ers on their home turf in the NFC Championship game.

49ers are a proper title contender, so must be strong favourites. Head says 49ers, and heart says Lions.

If I were a betting man I would go 49ers, but depends on the points spread. Both teams are on a roll.

I think visiting Baltimore in the AFC Championship game will be too much for KC. Baltimore are always known for having a ferocious defense and fanatical home support. They also have a star Quarterback in Lamar Jackson, who runs like a gazelle and is hard to contain.

KC have proven winners in Mahomes and Kelsey, but will struggle against that defense. I would go with the Ravens. But Mahomes and Kelsey are capable of winning matches on their own, like the greatest always do.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

mentalcase wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:07 am No straight reds but certainly second bookable offences, which would have meant a red.
The lad that slammed James and him that shoved Archie into the hoardings were 2 examples.
Agreed MC, Preston got away with murder and it's frustrating seeing our flair players getting continually fouled every week by lesser opponents.

It's foul play and it ruins the match, but this is exactly what you face at this level and why we need to get promoted asap.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

A crucial decision from Farke.

Thank god he call it right.

1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:22 am Agreed MC, Preston got away with murder and it's frustrating seeing our flair players getting continually fouled every week by lesser opponents.

It's foul play and it ruins the match, but this is exactly what you face at this level and why we need to get promoted asap.
It certainly spoilt the game from a fan's perspective, James.

I didn't enjoy that game until it was over.

I've witnessed too many of these Sunday League games already this season. I'll be glad when we are out of this league.

How our players are still standing, god only knows?
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

That video shows them telling Ampadu to get that ball off PB and the orders to Piroe, just in case PB had any wild ideas.

That's a squad and staff of togetherness, enjoyed watching Firpo anorl on his toes on the byline barking, good stuff.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

White Riot wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:17 am Well done Kenny 👍

The Lions will now have to go to play the 49ers on their home turf in the NFC Championship game.

49ers are a proper title contender, so must be strong favourites. Head says 49ers, and heart says Lions.

If I were a betting man I would go 49ers, but depends on the points spread. Both teams are on a roll.

I think visiting Baltimore in the AFC Championship game will be too much for KC. Baltimore are always known for having a ferocious defense and fanatical home support. They also have a star Quarterback in Lamar Jackson, who runs like a gazelle and is hard to contain.

KC have proven winners in Mahomes and Kelsey, but will struggle against that defense. I would go with the Ravens. But Mahomes and Kelsey are capable of winning matches on their own, like the greatest always do.
You seem to know your stuff anorl, I put the bets on to give me more of an interest and cheer someone on.

Put £19 on, got £43 back, Lost £19 on the next.....BUT £4 UP ! :$$: :shock: :shock:

Imagine if you could do that every minute of every day every week for a full year :!:

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Preston acquired 74 yellow cards this season.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

White Riot wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:17 am Well done Kenny 👍

I'm following the 49ers now if only coz of the connection here, fck knows how it might help us though.

;@)