The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 11th January) - Burnley open to offers for Welsh star

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 11th January) - Burnley open to offers for Welsh star

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 11th January, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Burnley open to offers for Welsh star

Burnley would be open to cashing in on Connor Roberts according to an article in the Daily Mirror (so it must be true).

Rumours circling around Elland Road suggest the 28yo is keen on a move to West Yorkshire having fallen out of favour at Turf Moor. The majority of his eight starts this season occurred much earlier in the season, and if truth be told, his form was awful, affording him a miserable 6.00 Whoscored rating; but at least he'll be fresh.

The 28yo was one of the first names on the Clarets team sheet last season, but has failed to even make the bench in recent times. He's close friends with fellow Welsh International Joe Rodon. This should at least make his settling in period easier.

If a deal is to be done, it will happen quickly. Burnley want to reinvest in new players, and the clock is ticking.....

A massive gamble

It's looking increasingly likely that Connor Roberts will be a Leeds Utd player before the end of the month, but is it a calculated gamble worth making? The 28 year old was one of the first names on the Clarets team sheet last season, but his form has undoubtedly dropped since then; he's even failed to make the bench in recent times!

Farke will be pinning his hopes that Roberts will rediscover his mojo, and help Leeds to a top two finish come May. Should Leeds be setting their sights a little higher than a Burnley reject or will Farke unearth an absolute bargain?

Leeds remain keen on Cherries duo

Daniel Farke remains keen to sign David Brooks and Chris Mepham from Bournemouth this month according to various reports in the media. Leeds were initially also interested in the services of Kieffer Moore, but with Bamford back on song, and although he too is Welsh (a requisite for this transfer window), it is believed the gaffer is no longer looking for a forward.

Mepham 26, operates as a burley centre back. At 6ft 4 and 88kg, his physical strength and aerial dominance would make him a strong contender for any Championship outfit. With Cresswell and Cooper being linked with moves away from Elland Road, Mepham would add both experience and stability to the Leeds ranks. He has 44 caps for Wales.

Brooks is a playmaker, a position that Leeds have had problems filling since Pablo left for sunnier climates two and a half years ago. His creativity and vision would make a strong signing for any second tier club, so we shouldn't be surprised that Southampton are also in the mix.

Brooks is 26, and can also operate on the right wing. He's made just two starts this season.

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 11th January) Burnley open to offers for WelshBurnley open to offers for Welsh

Post by Ellandback1 »

I really hope Leeds don't bring anyone back with them from their trip to Cardiff!!! :)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 11th January) Burnley open to offers for WelshBurnley open to offers for Welsh

Post by White Riot »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:08 am I really hope Leeds don't bring anyone back with them from their trip to Cardiff!!! :)
The Welsh lads might bring a few sheep back :)
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 11th January) - Burnley open to offers for Welsh star

Post by Ratscoot »

Good morning EB et all,

We better slow down and have a long think about this fascination with rebuilding the Welsh squad at Elland Road, first off their not Brazil, second their not even Spain, Christ their not even Scotland and 100% we are not ever and I mean ever playing in red!
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 11th January) - Burnley open to offers for Welsh star

Post by Sean_Nile »

James,Rodon and Ampadu all Welsh and now Roberts, Mepham and Brooks, Oh and not to forget Moore... that could be more than half the Welsh team.

If they all played regularly for Leeds that would greatly benefit the Welsh team, and I think Leeds should be compensated financially for letting them play together week in week out to perfect their understanding of each others game.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

We should definitely be prioritising defensive signings.

We need a left back, right back and centre back as a minimum.

Gray needs to be in midfield, Byram is constantly injured, Struijk is injured and Firpo cannot defend.

Plus Cooper's probably going elsewhere along with Cresswell.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
Maybe things will be a little clearer after leek end.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Sean_Nile wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:30 am James,Rodon and Ampadu all Welsh and now Roberts, Mepham and Brooks, Oh and not to forget Moore... that could be more than half the Welsh team.

If they all played regularly for Leeds that would greatly benefit the Welsh team, and I think Leeds should be compensated financially for letting them play together week in week out to perfect their understanding of each others game.
What's Ian Rush up to these days?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Ratscoot wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:22 am Good morning EB et all,

We better slow down and have a long think about this fascination with rebuilding the Welsh squad at Elland Road, first off their not Brazil, second their not even Spain, Christ their not even Scotland and 100% we are not ever and I mean ever playing in red!
I agree on the shirt, definitely prefer that hideous pink/yellow monstrosity of a shirt the players are wearing seemingly every week
Keeping The Faith
Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

So we are considering signing someone who can't get in a struggling Burnley team that's very likely to be relegated ,excellent !

Bamford goal was truly magnificent but back on song is pushing it.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

White Riot wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:40 am We should definitely be prioritising defensive signings.

Gray needs to be in midfield, Byram is constantly injured, Struijk is injured and Firpo cannot defend.

That’s a bit harsh mate, he’s made 20 appearances, we’ve only had 26 league games.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

White Riot wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:40 am We should definitely be prioritising defensive signings.

It's what i have been saying for a very long time. SPOT ON
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Who are you dropping out of midfield. Kamara or Ampadu?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

The Subhuman wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:24 am Who are you dropping out of midfield. Kamara or Ampadu?
To be fair I had been thinking the same. This allows us to tailor tactics a little bit better depending on the game. If we are expecting a low block I would be pushing Archie into midfield as he seems more capable of unlocking a defence than Kamara. Against sides that are going to push onto us, Kamara would be the choice. Allows us to manage Archies minutes too. Always thought at the start of the season that we had two pairs of midfielders rather than 4 separate players.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

herefordbornleedsboy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:33 am To be fair I had been thinking the same. This allows us to tailor tactics a little bit better depending on the game. If we are expecting a low block I would be pushing Archie into midfield as he seems more capable of unlocking a defence than Kamara. Against sides that are going to push onto us, Kamara would be the choice. Allows us to manage Archies minutes too. Always thought at the start of the season that we had two pairs of midfielders rather than 4 separate players.
I think moving Gray from RB would limit his minutes badly. We know Farke likes continuity and seldom selects based on opposition and I think that's probably correct. So it would likely take injury to see Archie play much more than sub minutes. We could, of course, see more Ampadu at CB which would free up a midfield spot but I'd imagine that would be Gruev

Good problem to have, I'm just making the point that if Gray stops playing RB it's not a given he plays in midfield
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Again, would Brooks be more than a bench player should we get him. If we stick with Geo as the 10 then I guess it would be James or Brookes on the right...

A pair of starting FB's seems indicated as the key areas of need though. Firpo/Byram/Shackleton, struggle to complete 5/6 games in a row without getting injured.. If they stay fit they're perfect good to play the full/wing back positions and Gray gives us 4 albeit inverted FB's

Looks like Ampadu is the 4th CB now ...
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

The Wales and Yorkshire have the common bond of not using vowels when they speak.

Apparently it saves breath.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

The Subhuman wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:24 am Who are you dropping out of midfield. Kamara or Ampadu?
Either one, gives us the option to rotate the three of them, and Gray is better in a more advanced role.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

I feel we now have good options that we haven't had in midfield for a long time. Depending who we are playing and the way they set up, i also wouldnt mind seeing Gray back in midfield, but i can also see other peoples views as to which player you drop if you play Gray in there.
Having Gray and Geo pushing forward gives us that extra bit of flair and surely that has to be a good thing.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

It's horses for courses sometimes, whatever or whoever we drop to accomodate, we need to strengthen and sharpish, otherwise, IF, we get promoted, we'll still need to strengthen, IF , we don't get promoted, it will obviously tell us the squad isn't good enough and we again, must strengthen to achieve promotion.
Unless the board suddenly don't rate DF as the man to achieve promotion, then it's someone else who will need his squad in, also more likely to ....youv'e got it, strengthen.
Lets stop pissing about trying to do it on the cheap as usual, we know how that ends up don't we !!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"