Peterborough v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Farke makes 6 changes to face The Posh

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Peterborough v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Farke makes 6 changes to face The Posh

Post by Ellandback1 »

7th January 2:00pm | Weston Homes Stadium

Daniel Farke makes wholesale changes on Sunday lunchtime, as Leeds travel to Peterborough Utd in the third round of the FA Cup. This will be the 13th time in a row that the Whites have been drawn away from home in this competition, equivalent to odds of 8192/1. The two sides have only ever faced each other ten times before, with the Whites winning seven of these. The Posh have two wins, including a one-nil victory at this very stage thirty eight years ago (1986). The last time these two teams met was almost eleven years ago when Sam Byram's 57th minute leveler earned Neil Warnock's Leeds a share of the spoils.

Sunday will give Daniel Farke an opportunity to look at some of the fringe players before making any decision about loaning them out or venturing into the transfer market. With Meslier serving seeing out his suspension, and Darlow injured (dislocated thumb), third choice shot stopper Kristoffer Klaesson will keep his place in the starting line-up.

We will see Welsh due of Rodon and Ampadu together at the heart of the defence. Junior Firpo and Archie Gray start in the wing back roles with Djed Spence heading back to Spurs, Ayling makes the bench.

Ilia Gruev wins his third start of the season, playing alongside Jamie Shackleton. Wilfred Gnonto and Jaidon Anthony have a rare chance to impress from out wide whilst Farke picks Piroe and Bamford up front.

New year VPN offer! Get NordVPN with 68% off + 3 months free...

mentalcase

Re: Peterborough Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by mentalcase »

Those are wholesale changes if that happens, too many for my liking, sure fire way to go out, we won't win the cup and I'd hate a cup run to derail the promotion plan.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Linbro
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Linbro »

https://www.leedsallover.com/bbc-pundit ... gh-result/

CHRIS SUTTON PREDICTS LEEDS TO WIN 3-2 AWAY
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Dont like too many changes but i guess its only to be expected for this game. If Luke's deal is close to being finalised i would be surprised if he played in case he picked up an injury and screwed up the move. Maybe play a very small part near the end.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Daniel Farke has been speaking to the media before Leeds United's FA Cup match against Peterborough Unitedon Sunday.

Here are the key lines from his news conference:

Farke confirmed Sam Byram will miss the game with a hamstring strain, with Pascal Struijk and Joe Gelhardt also unavailable. He also confirmed that Liam Cooper is a doubt, while goalkeeper Karl Darlow will be sidelined for around seven weeks with a finger injury.

He said "nothing major" happened for the club to decide to end Djed Spence's loan deal, but that they "analysed the first half of the season and impressions over the festive period" to make the decision. He added that the 23-year-old is "a cool guy with a good heart and we wish him all the best".

He added: "Not one player needs sympathy. It is a privileged position to be a football player. I want to also highlight it wasn't the easiest period for him. Sometimes it doesn't fit and it it doesn't work out, and you have to make a decision."

On whether the full-back position is a priority in the transfer window, Farke said: "No emergency case. We won't fall asleep because we brought Djed in as players were injured at the time. We have several options. If there is opportunity, at the end we will analyse and assess options and we will only do things we are 100% convinced of."

Asked about the risk of bringing in new players to the group, he said: "Wherever I go, I am always careful. One thing is quality and potential of a player, but also we get personality and characters who defend the shirt of a club and love the badge of a club."

He said he is "not interested" in rumours around Luke Ayling's future and that "so far no player is in my office asking to leave", adding: "In the summer I couldn't close the door early enough. I wanted to lock my door with a key. We are in a better situation now as a club and in the table, and everyone is buying into it."

On the FA Cup, he said: "I'm a big believer in cup competitions. I want to go as far as we can. I want to win each and every round. I know it is not realistic we will win the FA cup, but it's a big competition with big history and is an opportunity for us to present our best."

He said they "won't do anything stupid" against Peterborough as it is "more of a game on Championship level". He added: "Top teams in League One have the same quality as teams in the middle and bottom of the Championship, otherwise you can't be compete at the top of League One."
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

No panic or stress from Mr Farke! All is cool.

Maybe he has a plan and keeping his cards close to his chest.

Darlow out for 7 weeks is a stinker. The chance he has to perform and he gets injured in the most annoying place for a keeper.

I hope this translates into results.
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

Dues to latest news.

i think the team for sunday will be

Klaesson
Gray
Cresswell
Rodon
Firpo
Gruev
Ampadu
Antony
Bamford
Fernandez
Poveda

Subs

Van Den Heuvel
Kamara
Gnonto
Piroe
Rutter
Summerville
Perkins
Gyabi
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Clitheroe White wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:16 pm No panic or stress from Mr Farke! All is cool.

Maybe he has a plan and keeping his cards close to his chest.

Darlow out for 7 weeks is a stinker. The chance he has to perform and he gets injured in the most annoying place for a keeper.

I hope this translates into results.
It barely translates into English.

Sorry Jimmy, just couldn't help myself. My bad.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

pjm2019 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:17 pm Dues to latest news.

i think the team for sunday will be

Klaesson
Gray
Cresswell...
I'd have thought Gnonto gets a look in ahead of Poveda
I would also be pleased to see Cresswell
Jimstorrie
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jimstorrie »

No VAR, fortunately.
Notwithstanding the rubbish decision in sending off Calvert-Lewin yesterday, how is it possible that some games in the same round can be completed with entirely different considerations.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Jimstorrie wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:05 pm No VAR, fortunately.
Notwithstanding the rubbish decision in sending off Calvert-Lewin yesterday, how is it possible that some games in the same round can be completed with entirely different considerations.
Isn’t it something to do with the Premier League grounds being able to use VAR, and the others not ?.

I’ve never liked VAR, absolute shambles when you’re actually in the ground. We are stuck with it now, unfortunately.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:42 pm

Peterborough Utd v Leeds Utd
7th January@14:00hrs | Weston Homes Stadium

Daniel Farke is expected to make wholesale changes on Sunday lunchtime, as Leeds travel to Peterborough Utd in the third round of the FA Cup.

This will be the 13th time in a row that the Whites have been drawn away from home in this competition, equivalent to odds of 8192/1. The two sides have only ever faced each other ten times before, with the Whites winning seven of these. The Posh have two wins, including a one-nil victory at this very stage thirty eight years ago (1986). The last time these two teams met was almost eleven years ago when Sam Byram's 57th minute leveler earned Neil Warnock's Leeds a share of the spoils.

Sunday will give Daniel Farke an opportunity to look at some of the fringe players before making any decision about loaning them out to lesser clubs. With Meslier serving seeing out his suspension, and Darlow injured (dislocated thumb), third choice shot stopper Kristoffer Klaesson should keep his place in the starting line-up.

We could see Charlie Cresswell and Kris Moore back together at the heart of the defence, but with a loan agreement (to Hibs) in the midst, Moore may have to make do with a place on the bench, in favour of Liam Cooper. Leo Hjelde will challenge Junior Firpo for the right back role whilst fit again Djed Spence will probably start on the left, with Ayling making an emotional cameo appearance before his proposed move to Boro is finalised early next week.

Ilia Gruev should win his third start of the season, playing alongside either Archie Gray or forgotten man Darko Gyabi. Wilfred Gnonto and Jaidon Anthony have a rare chance to impress from out wide whilst Farke must choose between Poveda, Gelhardt or McGurk at 10, with Mateo Joseph probably leading the line.
Where did you copy and paste this from ..?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd like to win this so

Klaesson
Gray
Byram
Gruev
Rodon
Cresswell
James
Kamara
Bamford
Georginio
Gnonto
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Jimstorrie
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jimstorrie »

Barlow Boy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:14 pm Isn’t it something to do with the Premier League grounds being able to use VAR, and the others not ?.

I’ve never liked VAR, absolute shambles when you’re actually in the ground. We are stuck with it now, unfortunately.
Yes that's exactly why.
Which is entirely wrong; you can't, in my opinion, have different rules for different matches in the same competition.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Jimstorrie wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:26 pm Yes that's exactly why.
Which is entirely wrong; you can't, in my opinion, have different rules for different matches in the same competition.
Couldn’t agree more Jim, an absolute nonsense but I think the same about VAR in general anyway.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Barlow Boy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:14 pm Isn’t it something to do with the Premier League grounds being able to use VAR, and the others not ?.

It's exactly what it is. Premier league grounds have VAR in place. Non premier league grounds don't.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:01 pm It's exactly what it is. Premier league grounds have VAR in place. Non premier league grounds don't.
It shouldn't be used at all in the cup comps. Premier ground or not. Even playing field and all that.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:33 pm It shouldn't be used at all in the cup comps. Premier ground or not. Even playing field and all that.
Absolutely Swannie.
You'd have good grounds for a court case if you lost a game because VAR ruled out a goal that a referee had given and would have stood if VAR had not been in operation, at a non PL ground.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:42 pm

7th January 2:00pm | Weston Homes Stadium

Daniel Farke is expected to make wholesale changes on Sunday lunchtime, as Leeds travel to Peterborough Utd in the third round of the FA Cup. This will be the 13th time in a row that the Whites have been drawn away from home in this competition, equivalent to odds of 8192/1. The two sides have only ever faced each other ten times before, with the Whites winning seven of these. The Posh have two wins, including a one-nil victory at this very stage thirty eight years ago (1986). The last time these two teams met was almost eleven years ago when Sam Byram's 57th minute leveler earned Neil Warnock's Leeds a share of the spoils.

Sunday will give Daniel Farke an opportunity to look at some of the fringe players before making any decision about loaning them out to lesser clubs. With Meslier serving seeing out his suspension, and Darlow injured (dislocated thumb), third choice shot stopper Kristoffer Klaesson should keep his place in the starting line-up.

We could see Charlie Cresswell and Kris Moore back together at the heart of the defence, but with a loan agreement (to Hibs) in the midst, Moore may have to make do with a place on the bench, in favour of Liam Cooper. Leo Hjelde will challenge Junior Firpo for the right back role whilst fit again Djed Spence will probably start on the left, with Ayling making an emotional cameo appearance before his proposed move to Boro is finalised early next week.

Ilia Gruev should win his third start of the season, playing alongside either Archie Gray or forgotten man Darko Gyabi. Wilfred Gnonto and Jaidon Anthony have a rare chance to impress from out wide whilst Farke must choose between Poveda, Gelhardt or McGurk at 10, with Mateo Joseph probably leading the line.

New year VPN offer! Get NordVPN with 68% off + 3 months free...

Strange that Spurs are saying attitude issues re spencer and they want to sell him this window: IF only DF was honest
Linbro
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Linbro »

Match preview from Peterborough United and a road closure after the game:

https://www.theposh.com/news/match-prev ... eds-united

https://www.theposh.com/news/road-closure-sunday