West Brom v Leeds Utd Match Thread - My minute by minute summary of the game!

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: West Brom v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Struijk Out, Byram, Cooper & Gruev In

Post by JoeDenver »

60sUnited wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:28 pm Playing Piroe is like starting with 10 men.
THIS!
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I'll defend Gnonto on this occasion. He simply hasn't played enough football this season, and that's down to the manager making subs with ten mins left.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Understand the criticism of the team & manager 100% but the Gnonto decision is key in what was going to be a very tight game. We were still poor and Farke is equally to blame but it’s not a level playing field if very simple decisions aren’t given correctly
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:41 pm Someone else mentioned it. Cooper is good enough for this division defensively. But Strujik is so much better at making things happen going forward. We missed that today.
Agree Andrew, but that doesn't take the credit away from Coops, he came in & did his job unlike some of the clueless clowns on the pitch tonight.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

JoeDenver wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:44 pm My thoughts exactly, AJS. The Gnonto situation is Farke's own doing as he's not been proactive in his squad rotation or substitutions. Gnonto would have probably had 100-180 more minutes game time by this game, which would've likely yielded a more match sharp player.
Can’t fathom what you saw in Gnonto’s performance to have you calling for more starts Joe.

He’s been ineffective when coming on as a sub lately and ineffective tonight from the off.

When he blazed over the bar there was closeup of him grinning all over the place. Not embarrassed al all, it was the face of a man who just didn’t give a toss.

And he was in the shop window tonight - he’ll be gone in January.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Orange Box wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:49 pm I made exactly that point in another thread. I reckon DF is DOF material rather than manager.
But he does seem to manage the dressing room really well. Not sure most DOF's do that. That comes down to the manager. And lord knows, we had major dressing room issues when he arrived.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

We seem to fall apart around Christmas/New Year every season.

Our managers & players flatter to deceive, & us fans fall for it every time.

My god, I feel so disillusioned & drained after what was a horrific display.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Have to laugh slagging off players , played out of position. Predictable, have we been here before 🤔

Clutching at penalties, good sides find away .?
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:54 pm Agree Andrew, but that doesn't take the credit away from Coops, he came in & did his job unlike some of the clueless clowns on the pitch tonight.
Maybe, just maybe, we have too much and too many aof attacking spptions and DF dosen't knoe how to deal with it ?
Most teams have defensive players throughout, we have a rich glut of underperforming so-called strikers, but with no end product.
i KNOW WE'VE LOST AGAIN, but when we are bad we a re bad, a lot of teams have suused us .
The January window shoild tell us a lot imho.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:53 pm Understand the criticism of the team & manager 100% but the Gnonto decision is key in what was going to be a very tight game. We were still poor and Farke is equally to blame but it’s not a level playing field if very simple decisions aren’t given correctly
Agreed, all games come down to moments
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

SG90 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:48 pm He isnt, he's a goalscorer played out of position by a clueless manager
I was exaggerating to some degree. You are absolutely correct that he's played out of position. But if Farke isn't willing to play him in that position, what good is he?
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Orange Box wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:49 pm I made exactly that point in another thread. I reckon DF is DOF material rather than manager.
I mean he has the initials for the role...

I kid! :lol: :roflmao: :lol:
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

We are seriously weak in midfield, except at number 4. The fact that i'm pining for a 18year old kid to come back in says it all. We have a strong front 4 but no one to pull the strings in midfield. Farke made the changes i wanted tonight with the exception of Gruev and we still looked a mile off.

For whatever reason away from home we can't muster the same urgency and quality. West Brom are the archetypal Championship side. A big sam, steve bruce, tony Pulis team that will win alot of games by the odd set-piece goal.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:47 pm He was five yards from the incident with no player obscuring his view, How could he get something so wrong?
Another penalty. The real question everyone should be asking is why we can't create from open play?
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Carrick Dave wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:56 pm Can’t fathom what you saw in Gnonto’s performance to have you calling for more starts Joe.

He’s been ineffective when coming on as a sub lately and ineffective tonight from the off.

When he blazed over the bar there was closeup of him grinning all over the place. Not embarrassed al all, it was the face of a man who just didn’t give a toss.

He's been better in previous outings. And it's all relative as I believe he's more of a 10 than Piroe, who is a complete waste there. The lack of match sharpness outside of our starting 11 is again down to Farke's lack of proactiveness in terms of squad rotation and subs. He's kind of backed himself into this corner and it's all coming to a head at an inopportune time.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Carrick Dave wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:56 pm Can’t fathom what you saw in Gnonto’s performance to have you calling for more starts Joe.

And I don't doubt that he'll be gone in January. Something tells me that Italy beckons for him...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

JoeDenver wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:51 pmTHIS!
And rarely subbed :roll:
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Leeds1000 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:12 pm We are seriously weak in midfield, except at number 4. The fact that i'm pining for a 18year old kid to come back in says it all. We have a strong front 4 but no one to pull the strings in midfield. Farke made the changes i wanted tonight with the exception of Gruev and we still looked a mile off.

For whatever reason away from home we can't muster the same urgency and quality. West Brom are the archetypal Championship side. A big sam, steve bruce, tony Pulis team that will win alot of games by the odd set-piece goal.
I’m convinced we, as in the crowd at ER, play a huge part in that. The players don’t get a moments peace and they know when we are not happy.

It’s a cauldron, and our home record would seem to back up how much it makes a difference.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'll say it again, it was a mistake to let Greenwood go...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:26 pm I'll say it again, it was a mistake to let Greenwood go...
Set pieces would be improved and appears to be a better 10 than Piroe. I'd give Middlesborough $1.5M to get out of that buy clause of theirs.