West Brom v Leeds Utd Match Thread - My minute by minute summary of the game!

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: West Brom v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Struijk Out, Byram, Cooper & Gruev In

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:21 pm And rarely subbed :roll:
I think Piroe is a good player he just seems lost playing in midfield.... If Rutter were a pure striker then it might work but Geo dominates the area Piroe is supposed to play...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:14 pm Another penalty. The real question everyone should be asking is why we can't create from open play?
True SG.

Did you notice their crosses in comparison to ours? they were like chalk & cheese!

No one who can score from a free-kick, Summerville & Piroe do a Harrison/Aaronson whispering act, only to shoot straight at the wall or sky their shots over the bar.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:30 pm I think Piroe is a good player he just seems lost playing in midfield.... If Rutter were a pure striker then it might work but Geo dominates the area Piroe is supposed to play...
So is Summerville, at times he and Piroe and Rutter are basically on eachothers toes.

Marsch got hammered for this sort of thing.

And the subs are designed to create chaos? I've never heard a manager say he wants chaos before
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

63% possession with only one shot on target :cry:
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Was always going to be a tight game. They didn’t offer much. A really dour side, I don’t want Corberan any time soon. Terrible ref and Ampadu asleep for their goal. We just don’t win these games but Leicester do.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

So we have an exhausted and overplayed starting xi, and extremely undercooked bench reinforcements to replace them. That is the fault of the manager refusing to rotate the squad.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:28 pm 64 swearing, must be bad .... ;-)
He's usually such a Gent....
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

SG90 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:24 am So we have an exhausted and overplayed starting xi, and extremely undercooked bench reinforcements to replace them. That is the fault of the manager refusing to rotate the squad.
He's backed himself into this corner due to this fact. Thought the bulk of the changes, sans Gruev, were the right changes (although Gruev did an okay job). But the substitutions and tactical changes also leave a lot to be desired, week in and week out.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

JoeDenver wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:28 am He's backed himself into this corner due to this fact. Thought the bulk of the changes, sans Gruev, were the right changes (although Gruev did an okay job). But the substitutions and tactical changes also leave a lot to be desired, week in and week out.
He's already said his changes are designed to create chaos which by its very design means he isn't influencing what's going on on the pitch.

It's a really odd admission imo.

So when people say he chucks everyone on and hopes for the best that is basically it.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Cjay wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:41 am He's already said his changes are designed to create chaos which by its very design means he isn't influencing what's going on on the pitch.

So when people say he chucks everyone on and hopes for the best that is basically it.
Seems very Marsh-esque. And we know how that experiment went...
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

BradWhite wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:50 pm Hideous kit.

Ed Cowburn from Acid FC designed all the 3 kits.

What ever happened to playing away in yellow?
Agree Brad. We are white - then yellow and blue. Surely there are some great designs that can come out of that combination?

I do like our second kit this year (blue), with the focus on the peacock, but that peuk pink thing should never see the light of play/day again. :?
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Cheer up lads - just a bit of a mid-season lull :)

But then - as I'd said in response to 64 a day or so ago - I resigned myself to 2 years in The Championship in May this year.

I don't care what industry you are in, when you are in a state of cluster-f**k like we were at end last season - which was a death by a thousand cuts situation that had been coming for 4 or 5 years (or more) - it is going to take some time and patience to rebuild out of the hole.
The first thing we need to do in this hole (and we have NOT yet emerged from it) is to stop digging.
So stop calling for the manager's blood, stop being quintessential armchair football coaches and get with the rebuild. I am hopeful that by this time next year, we have a squad that is starting to look like it could compete in the PL.

Until then, I'll just support my team through their good days and their shitty days. Also a lot less stressful that way, I may add.

Make no mistake, the last 2 performances were crappy - no excuse. Right, let's sort it out and get on with the second half of the season.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

malcolmw wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:37 am Cheer up lads - just a bit of a mid-season lull :)

But then - as I'd said in response to 64 a day or so ago - I resigned myself to 2 years in The Championship in May this year.

I don't care what industry you are in, when you are in a state of cluster-f**k like we were at end last season - which was a death by a thousand cuts situation that had been coming for 4 or 5 years (or more) - it is going to take some time and patience to rebuild out of the hole.
The first thing we need to do in this hole (and we have NOT yet emerged from it) is to stop digging.
So stop calling for the manager's blood, stop being quintessential armchair football coaches and get with the rebuild. I am hopeful that by this time next year, we have a squad that is starting to look like it could compete in the PL.

Until then, I'll just support my team through their good days and their shitty days. Also a lot less stressful that way, I may add.

Make no mistake, the last 2 performances were crappy - no excuse. Right, let's sort it out and get on with the second half of the season.
Thank you, Mal. You have just been nominated as my official LUFC therapist.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

I'm afraid the legacy of Victor Orta will have a long tail.

The key to going straight back up is hanging on to most of your Premiership player. And/or sellingi some of your crown jewels to build a side of depth for the gruelling number of games in the Champo.

Unfortunately for us most of Orta's signings weren't good enough for the Premiership in the first place and those that were had the ridiculous demotion loan clauses, so we couldn't keep or sell.

Repairing the waste of our funds though Orta's ego will take 2/3 years so we are walking a tightrope before the parachute payments dry up.

Yes, DF's tactical skills are looking a bit shaky but he doesn't have a great hand to play in the first place.

We need at least two more well used transfer windows to have a depth of squad to ensure automatic promotion.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:25 am He's usually such a Gent....
I apologise Swannie.

I'm despairing with Leeds United, they are bringing the worst out of me.

Other championship clubs are scoring for fun, thank god, our centre-backs seem to do their job every game.

Farke & his players need to take a long hard look at themselves this morning.

I'm ashamed of them, I'm not the only one, I know three season-ticket holders (two of them who go to every away game) are not attending the Birmingham home game.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:41 am He's already said his changes are designed to create chaos which by its very design means he isn't influencing what's going on on the pitch.

Seven forwards on the pitch.

No structure, no cohesion, no invention, no alternative plan.

Just pure chaos!
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:42 am I apologise Swannie.

I'm despairing with Leeds United, they are bringing the worst out of me.

Other championship clubs are scoring for fun, thank god, our centre-backs seem to do their job every game.

Farke & his players need to take a long hard look at themselves this morning.

I'm ashamed of them, I'm not the only one, I know three season-ticket holders (two of them who go to every away game) are not attending the Birmingham home game.
What a load of absolute tosh.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:49 am Seven forwards on the pitch.

No structure, no cohesion, no invention, no alternative plan.

Just pure chaos!
Tosh.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

My apologies for choosing your posts Sid (but they were at the end of an absolute load of tosh)

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

PNE 30% Leeds 70% : Result 70% lost
WBA 30% Leeds 70% : Result 70% lost
PNE 70% Sheff W 30% : Result 70% lost
Arsenal 70% West Ham 30% : Result 70% lost

Leeds 50% Ipswich 50% : Result Leeds thrash Ipswich 4-0

I just chose some most recent results and the % is possession there or thereabouts, doesn't it tell all you statheads something about modern day football, apart from : You are either one or the other?

Btw, Rutters was not a penalty, Gnontos was stonewall, luck huh :roll:
Last edited by Kennyb41 on Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

;@)