Preston North End v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Preston North End v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

26th December 12:30pm | Deepdale

Leeds could close the gap between themselves and Ipswich Town to four points, if they can overcome Preston on Boxing day, and results elsewhere go their way. Ipswich Town and Leicester City have dominated the Championship thus far, and are both on course for record breaking points totals. Leeds mauling of Kieran McKenna's side may be the first sign of a chink in the Tractor boys machinery, who now face a seemingly unstoppable Foxes side intent on promotion back to the Promised land, at the first attempt.

With one win in six, Preston have dropped into the second half of the table, but Leeds will know from experience, that these can be some of the hardest teams to break down!!! They last met Boxing day four years ago at Elland Road, when a last minute Stuart Dallas equaliser saved Leeds Leeds from defeat. Two months earlier Eddie Nketiah also left it late (87mins), as once again the spoils were shared.

Preston wide man Robbie Brady is ruled out with a calf strain he picked up in the 2-1 defeat at Swansea City. Emil Riis Jakobsen (knee) is a long term casualty for the Lilywhites. Leeds have no new injury concerns meaning Daniel Farke will once again field the same side that thrashed Ipswich Town 4-0. Jamie Shackleton (glute), Stuart Dallas (leg), Sam Byram hamstring) and Luke Ayling (leg) remain sidelined.

New season VPN offer! Get NordVPN with 62% off + 3 months free...

John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Preston North End v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by John in Louisiana »

Don't know that Farke will start the same eleven. with the games piling up this week.

No idea who might get the nod, just imagine he'll try giving one or two players a rest.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:28 pm Don't know that Farke will start the same eleven. with the games piling up this week.

No idea who might get the nod, just imagine he'll try giving one or two players a rest.
Most important pile up coming up. No luxury to be able to rest. He'll start same 11 as he allways does, unless injury forces his hands
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I'm 99% he's starting Gnonto for DJ.

I'm glad i can't find one piece of news regarding the penalty taker.

Hopefully handled well and internally, but he most definitely needs a dressing down if he took it upon himself to do that which i feel he did.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:41 pm I'm 99% he's starting Gnonto for DJ.

Hopefully handled well and internally, but he most definitely needs a dressing down if he took it upon himself to do that which i feel he did.
What makes you think that Kenny ?.

Time will tell, but I don’t see him making any changes, barring any injuries of course.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Matt & Soph's predictions

Preston v Leeds first one up after one minute.

Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:45 pm What makes you think that Kenny ?.

Time will tell, but I don’t see him making any changes, barring any injuries of course.
Nothing more than the extended minutes he brought Willy on for and the running DJ has been doing, i know that that's the case for a few, but DJ's bursts take it out of him, it also doesn't alter the dynamic massively.

In an ideal game v PNE he'll hopefully get the chance to bring a couple more off early.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:54 pm Nothing more than the extended minutes he brought Willy on for and the running DJ has been doing, i know that that's the case for a few, but DJ's bursts take it out of him, it also doesn't alter the dynamic massively.

In an ideal game v PNE he'll hopefully get the chance to bring a couple more off early.
We will see, but he doesn’t seem to change things unless necessary and it’s only a normal Saturday/Tuesday routine in terms of fixtures albeit a lunchtime kick off.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:45 pm What makes you think that Kenny ?.

I also sense Willy's absolutely itching for a start, and in a good way too, he knows he's playing second fiddle atm, and for the right reasons coz the teams doing ok.
This is a good thing, and the timing couldn't be better for him to prove himself as a team player.

This isn't a dropping, this is a resting.

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Dan's goals & assists cannot be dismissed.

Gnonto has scored only one goal & made one assist in over 700 minutes of football this season. Yes Willy is neat & tidy on the ball but, he hasn't contributed nothing worthwhile for months.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:07 pm Dan's goals & assists cannot be dismissed.

Gnonto has scored only one goal & made one assist in over 700 minutes of football this season. Yes Willy is neat & tidy on the ball but, he hasn't contributed nothing worthwhile for months.
We play Tuesday away Sid, then 8.15pm Friday night at WBA, i'm 99% it'll be Willy, then DJ back for WBA.

It's then Birmingham at home Monday, which gives him the chance to start Willy again.

Let's see.

;@)
Johnthewhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Johnthewhite »

Could be Willy for Jimmy if DF is in the mood for punishment (re the penalty)
Remember Rodon earlier in the season
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

I hope you are wrong about Gnonto starting, he is not a patch on DJ. He has done nothing when he has come on as a sub

DF has stated that Pireo AND Summerville were both on the list to take a Penalty
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I feel it will be the only change too, barring injuries. I wouldn't be surprised if the following match DJ would come back in and Summerville might get a 1 match rest.

I feel it is likely that with the penalty situation they might have said that if Cree gets fouled in the box he gets to take the pen, sort of like a reward for earning the penalty and more of a reason to go down than to try to stay on your feet to get a shot in. It didnt seem like there was much of a squabble so maybe just Cree reminded Piroe of the deal. Not sure who got fouled for the penalty Piroe converted.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

pjm2019 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:43 pm I hope you are wrong about Gnonto starting, he is not a patch on DJ. He has done nothing when he has come on as a sub

DF has stated that Pireo AND Summerville were both on the list to take a Penalty
Interesting how quickly people change their opinions. I reckon 99% of fans would have had Gnonto starting ahead of DJ when selecting the starting line-up in the summer. Wouldn't be too judgemental on Gnonto this season given he has had such a bit part to play.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

weasel wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:22 pm I feel it will be the only change too, barring injuries. I wouldn't be surprised if the following match DJ would come back in and Summerville might get a 1 match rest.

I feel it is likely that with the penalty situation they might have said that if Cree gets fouled in the box he gets to take the pen, sort of like a reward for earning the penalty and more of a reason to go down than to try to stay on your feet to get a shot in. It didnt seem like there was much of a squabble so maybe just Cree reminded Piroe of the deal.
That’s like Primary or Middle School though Meerkat 😉.

It was embarrassing to be honest, a strong captain sorts that out immediately and that’s the end of it. Thankfully no damage done, and my shout of bringing Bamford on to take it didn’t get much support from those near me in the ground.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:29 pm That’s like Primary or Middle School though Meerkat 😉.

It was embarrassing to be honest, a strong captain sorts that out immediately and that’s the end of it. Thankfully no damage done, and my shout of bringing Bamford on to take it didn’t get much support from those near me in the ground.
You get lots of situations like that. I recall there was a club, might have been Arsenal, where they had 2 penalty takers but if one of them was fouled in the box then the other player would take it.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:22 pm I feel it will be the only change too, barring injuries. I wouldn't be surprised if the following match DJ would come back in and Summerville might get a 1 match rest.

I feel it is likely that with the penalty situation they might have said that if Cree gets fouled in the box he gets to take the pen, sort of like a reward for earning the penalty and more of a reason to go down than to try to stay on your feet to get a shot in. It didnt seem like there was much of a squabble so maybe just Cree reminded Piroe of the deal. Not sure who got fouled for the penalty Piroe converted.
My take on it is that Piroe went to the spot and Jimmy told him i'm having it, and that he used the "I won it, i'm having it" himself and that Piroe just didn't cause 'a scene', he didn't miss, but if he had and we'd gone in at h/t 2-0 up i bet there'd have been a rumpus in the dressing room, especially if they happened to come back in the second half 2-2. I'm of the understanding the gaffer said Piroe is the designated and if he's not on the field then it's Jimmy.

I could well be wrong, but he made a complete beeline for Gnonto (i actually thought he was going to the gaffer at that point) and there was something fishy in that to me, i was on the lookout for Piroe, and he eventually arrived and congratulated him, a lesser man could've kicked up a bit of a stink but he was fully composed.

I don't know, it just seemed like some sort of giggle that the 2 of them had planned if it happened to happen. I don't think for 1 minute that when Piroe went up to the spot , that he wished him good luck with the kick, it was more of a 'what you doing'

Could also just be my cynical mind anorl.

Be interesting if a journo gets an answer on it from DF.

;@)
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

Is there not a score prediction thread for this game, or have I missed it?
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
BlancdeBlanc
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by BlancdeBlanc »

On the penalty taker, I was watching on LUTV with a match pass (in Madeira for Christmas) and at the start of the second half Jimmy and Joel came on smiling, arms around each other, so whatever it was, it got sorted out in the dressing room. Which is good, I was worried about a Crystal Palace scenario. Maybe because it was Jimmy with the scoring chance he wanted to finish the job. No doubts about his ability, saw him blast plenty in in the U23s.